• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Executive analysis: How the suits affect console perception (PS/Xbox) [long]

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
While I agree that Sony's upper management has been doing a great job communicating to the base - they are being awfully slow with certain items (system updates) and have been delaying alot of games (understandably w/ the developer side). This should be noted.

I don't see the connection, it should not be noted, they don't write software. The thread is about PR and how info is conveyed. Did one of them lie about dates or features?

He doesn't really apply to this current generation, but an analysis of J Allard would've been very interesting considering his involvement in making the Xbox and his retirement around the end of last gen.

Interesting write up, though opinions about Sony management would definitely be skewed if you're a Vita fan...

Came here to write this.

vin-buc

I don't see the connection, it should not be noted, they don't write software. The thread is about PR and how info is conveyed. Did one of them lie about dates or features?

I believe it should. When PR (upper management) is promoting certain things for a console launch (system features, Driveclub for eg.) and then under deliver and said features, game(s) do not make it to launch then who is ultimately responsible after THEY said it would? They're front facing not the studio developers (for 1st party) - so they should be certain that everything is ready when they announce dates and availability. If they convey the message (since they are employees who are selling a product) they have to be held accountable when what they promote doesn't materialize when it's supposed to.

Mark Cerny is on that list and is techical - but he's listed in the OP. Didn't he say suspend/resume would be there from the get go? So how doesn't that make him responsible when it's not there?

Great thread OP

iBmhawQ.jpg

Vodh

Great OP. I generally agree, although I'd like to see Shawn Layden analyzed too. Especially since he comes off really bland and hasn't had the best entrance during the E3 - in fact, his section of the conference was pretty close to ruining the E3 for Sony in my eyes - it's lost all the momentum and he did nothing to salvage it.

And I think you're being a bit hard on Phil Spencer. As far as Microsoft PR goes, he's exactly the right mix of rockstar and bro to pick the company up and pretty much every time he shows up to speak he does great. Sure, he doesn't go as far as to openly challenge and address a lot of the earlier decision, he does a great job of making them seem like water under the bridge and presenting new, strong front.

In fact, as far as CEO PR battles go I'd go as far as to say that with all the changes, Microsoft is regaining ground and fast. Phil Spencer charges in, promising great future and doing a lot to continuously deliver in small, but significant increments, and on the other side we've got the front dented by the loss of Tretton and in his stead a guy who does god knows what.

*it should be noted that enjoying the show and having fun with the company PR personalities doesn't mean I think PR is those guys' main job. It's the most visible part of it, but it's most certainly just the tip of the iceberg and who knows, maybe Layden isn't such a bland wimp he seems to be ;)

Peltz

No thoughts on Nintendo's cast of characters? I'd love for OP to give me his thoughts on them. He's pretty spot on so far.

vin-buc

Never liked Sony execs. To me they always seem to be throwing little jabs at their rivals

I like the Sony exec's. Some come across as genuine in a doofy way (Shu, Adam) but I have to agree that they need to stop with the Xbox jabs especially while Xbox is down/out (although I liked Kaz's snarky twitter pun with the whole RoTR exclusivity deal). In a leadership position - you shouldn't knock the comp when you're already stomping them.

I dislike Greenberg for this same reason.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I like the Sony exec's. Some come across as genuine in a doofy way (Shu, Adam) but I have to agree that they need to stop with the Xbox jabs especially while Xbox is down/out (although I liked Kaz's snarky twitter pun with the whole RoTR exclusivity deal). In a leadership position - you shouldn't knock the comp when you're already stomping them.

I dislike Greenberg for this same reason.

That's a joke account.

Someone needs to do:

Satoru Iwata
Reggie Fils-Aime
Satoru Shibati
Shigeru Miyamoto
Eiji Aonuma
Masahiro Sakurai
Scott Moffit

Major Nelson

Major Nelson is a large part of the PR cycle for Xbox. The trouble is that although he presents himself as a passionate gamer, he somehow rubs people up the wrong way. He divides opinion and has made a few errors of judgement or statements that look silly in retrospect. For some he is a little over the top and needs to reign it back a bit. In conclusion he has both a positive and negative effect.

Never saw anything negative about Major Nelson.

Toki767

To me, Sony's execs have done a great job in seeming personable and they really nail that whole "they're just gamers like us" approach. Often times you'll see the guys like Adam Boyes or Shuhei Yoshida have drinks with members of the media while casually talking. Not to mention most of their guys constantly communicate and put themselves out there on social media to answer questions or concerns when they can.

Everyone at Microsoft except for Phil Spencer (sometimes) just comes across like an executive trying to sell you something whether you want it or not. What has hurt Microsoft the most from the start of the Xbox One reveal has been their PR and most of their mouthpieces aren't showing that they realize that is the case.

Nintendo's an interesting case though. Obviously the main ones to look at are Iwata and Reggie. Who runs Nintendo of Europe anyway?

Liberty4all

Banned
This should be an interesting thread.

edit: I miss J Allard too.

I have to say that the PS4 has the same "vibe" I felt the 360 (when it launched) had in terms of executives carrying the message I want to hear.

Kieli

Never liked Sony execs. To me they always seem to be throwing little jabs at their rivals

I'd rather competition not get cozy with each other.

Or you get something similar to our glorious Canadian telecom cartel. They aren't even particularly transparent in their collusion.

He doesn't really apply to this current generation, but an analysis of J Allard would've been very interesting considering his involvement in making the Xbox and his retirement around the end of last gen.

Interesting write up, though opinions about Sony management would definitely be skewed if you're a Vita fan...

I'm a Vita fan, but I'm also grown up enough to realize that they're fighting tooth and nail to save the company. Their market projections are no doubt telling them that a mobile gaming device that expensive only has a sizeable market in Asia, and putting their development bandwidth behind the PS4 is their best bet globally for ROI at a time when they need every cent they can get to stay alive.

I feel like this gen, or at least the first year, will end up being a case study for MBA's and PR/brand management courses.

It seems like MS still doesn't know what is happening when the next PR fiasco strikes. They seem to be generally bewildered when shit happens like their disjointed reactions as recently as the TR exclusivity thing. It's not so much that the substance is shit as much as it is they often seem like they don't even understand the core reasons for why people are upset, and the lack of foresight leads them into not understanding how they deliver the message could anger people. Even though their exec personalities aren't exactly likable, their communication is the worst of it and that's no excusable because they have PR people for a reason. Either they're entirely incompetent (which is unlikely since I'm sure they hired industry vets) or the execs are delivering their message without consulting the PR/marketing people.

I think Andrew House is Derren Brown in disguise.

You know, he does have a certain aura about him. Like he knows something awesome is going to happen and that half the fun is the big reveal.

I remember someone describing the announcement of the PS4 price as House having a 'shit eating grin' on his face. Seems apt.

westman

Mark Cerny is on that list and is techical - but he's listed in the OP. Didn't he say suspend/resume would be there from the get go?

I don't think he ever said that. As the hardware architect of the PS4, he was talking about how the PS4 hardware was designed to support suspend/resume in a power-efficient way. I don't think he promised that the feature would be ready for launch, and he didn't say that it wouldn't, either. He couldn't know for sure at the time, of course - the firmware/OS was still under development, with suspend/resume being a desirable launch feature but not so important that it was allowed to delay the launch. I also believe the firmware/OS is developed by a different team, without much involvement from Cerny, so it was not really his promise to make.

vin-buc

I don't think he ever said that. As the hardware architect of the PS4, he was talking about how the PS4 hardware was designed to support suspend/resume in a power-efficient way. I don't think he promised that the feature would be ready for launch, and he did not say that it wouldn't, either. He couldn't know for sure at the time, of course - the firmware/OS was still under development, with dispenser/resume being a desirable launch feature but not so important that it was allowed to delay the launch. I also believe the firmware/OS is developed by a different team, without much involvement from Cerny, so it was not really his promise to make.

The point I'm making is that these are management folks talking to the general public/userbase acting as PR figureheads (not sure if any have "communications" anywhere in their titles) so when representations are being made on stage/news outlets/social media they need to be questioned when what they say is supposed to happen doesn't. The software OS team is not accountable to the public but the leadership making the representations is. Watching the February event I believed that suspend/resume would be there at launch because that's how Cerny made it sound. The people at the top can't make representations on behalf of their companies then point fingers at the lower level employees and blame them when things don't happen.

And the communications on system updates has been poor/vague IMO. Just "stay tuned".

What about Chris Charla, Ken Lobb, and Mike Ybarra from Microsoft?

I didn't include people whom I don't think have moved the needle either positively or negatively (generally) for their respective current-gen platform. They are doing a fine job but they haven't had a necessarily positive impact on the perception of the system and likewise they haven't damaged the perception of the system. That is why I left out Michael Denny, Jim Ryan etc.

___

My personal opinion is that Microsoft need to let more of their producers and execs involved with making games do more PR. He seems to be doing almost all of their PR at the moment and having one person constantly doing PR always leads to negativity.

Top Bottom