• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXPLOSIONS in games!

8bitpill

Back in my day...

1iKT.gif

Aldynes

I love when game engines take into account all explosives in an area and if you set one off and the game knows the others will blow too it doesn't just spawn 20 smaller explosions it actually combines them together into a bigger splosion, Crysis did it and I think Just Cause 3 and 4 do it to a certain extent. I believe a lot of the physics are precalculated before you actually see it happening so every game should do it.

Any other games you guys know of that do this?

Also, shout out to blast waves in Just Cause 3 and 4, so great when you get blasted off a ledge by a giant explosion, makes it have so much more impact.
This is very interesting, I'm pretty sure seeing this on some games but can't recall which one, I guess Goldeneye uses this system for it's chain reactions to a lesser extent, Jagged Alliance 2 feels that way also.

lachesis

.. please be mindful of the singing of that guy. lol.

User triggered explosions are my favorites. I know it's not as fancy as like movie set types of explosions visually, but the random mess these things creates are sometimes rather satisfying.
(Like gathering ton of TNTs and blow a big hole into the ground on Minecraft..)

Alright

Banned
What was the game on the Xbox 360 where you could manipulate the level/land by making it sink or rise?

I'm sure that had some good explosions.

And the one where you threw that big ninja death star. Dark sector was it?

Keihart

Metal Slug series:

b30.gif

More gas expansion than explosion, but I still love these cannon muzzle flashes:

2IBbvYv.gif
The thread made me realize how much better animated explosions are and how the fuck they keep sucking in 3d games, not even more extreme stylized games have good looking explosions. Those metal slug explosions look better than anything i can think of.

Aldynes

Nothing like a Shmup Boss explosion, complete with dramatic slowdown+frameskip and heavy bass:

That Psyvariar 2 explosion are completely insane, fucking brutal !

Also Raiden DX got the tiniest of details right, like every debris falls to the ground below, making impact everywhere trees get burned houses got damaged, truly a feast for the eyes!

And for the sound effects, i love me some M.U.S.H.A explosions.

Aldynes

So many destroyed starships (and millions of dollars lost forever) the game almost stopped working.

It's amazing, I've heard of it many times and it never cease to amazed me upon watching it, one of the biggest gaming moment for the medium as a whole, the equivalent of putting (expensive) red barrels in space in one spot and see what happen next when you fire.

At least they got out with a bang!

Aldynes

For explosions in Fighting Games we got Doctrine Dark :
arika-59c4edc36d29b.jpg

My man eyes are always wide open and he's perpetually high after sniffing one of Garuda's farts ( it's canon look it up ) dude's got some explosives to set traps on wake up or uses them to extend his combos, oh and the best part : he says EXPLOSHUN every time !

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Dice gave up explosive environments with Bf1 and v to get the world war themes which made gamers upset. BFBC2 was just off the charts with explosives not that explosives aren’t possible in BF1, V.
battlefield 1 GIF by gaming

Top Bottom