• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 - September 23rd release

Juicy Bob

Maybe if I had enough money and patience to join the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race, it'd become more of a problem for me too.

Hey it's not an elitist master race thing, it's how I've always felt. 30fps is the minimum for a reason - it's where the game looks acceptable but is by no means optimal.

I can play lots of genres at 30fps reasonably happily, but it always sticks out in racing games. That's a genre that pretty much needs 60fps for the most part.

Juicy Bob

I can only speak for myself here, but as most of the racing games I've played have been around the 30 FPS mark it's genuinely never been an issue for me. I'd be interested to read what other people have to say about it, though.

Ark

Foliorum Viridum said:
I can't fathom hating GFWL so much it makes you play the shitty console version over PC. Madness.

F1 at 30fps just doesn't work, even if you ignore the other benefits of PC.

I had no problem with F1 2010 on PS3.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Twitter from Andy Gray. Safety Car announcement soon?

AndyGray said:
That's the worst nights sleep I've had in ages but today is going to be good. Big announcement coming soon, well in a couple of hours.

:D

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm sure lots of people find it acceptable. I'm just not one of them.
I think that 30FPS is acceptable, just that 60 FPS is just so much better.

The 360 version of F1 2011 I tried felt a bit less precise, even with a Fanatec wheel purely because of the frame rate. The same happened even on PC< when my FPS dropped below 60 (Before I upgraded my PC), the game actually felt harder to handle because of it.

Anyway, Safety Cars exist? properly? YEY!

mocoworm

F1 2011 gets safety car

"Codemasters has confirmed that this year's official Formula One game, F1 2011, will introduce the sport's safety car.

Lead designer Steve Hood and communications managerAndy Gray both tweeted the news this morning ahead of the game's showing at gamescom in Cologne.

"Hang on, what's this? That's right, the SAFETY CAR IS IN!!!" said Gray, posting a blurry off-screen snap of the FIA's Mercedes SLS in action, leading the F1 field (below).

"Okay, okay… Safety Car is in this years' game… Going to be awesome!!" confirmed the only slightly less excitable Hood.

In Formula One, the safety car leads the pack around at the circuit at a reduced pace in dangerous conditions such as extreme wet or after a crash. Racers have to hold station behind it and aren't allowed to pass each other.

Its appearance can have a profound impact on race strategy and outcome, and it's been a much-requested feature by fans.

F1-mad Martin is seeing both F1 2011 and the recently revealed browser game F1 Online this week, so look out for updates.

F1 2011 will be released on 23 September."

Orgun

lol
10d131be.jpg

HeliosT10

Here's some details about the safety car feature in the game for you:

- Yes you have control behind the SC but there'll be some restrictions. More details once everything is concrete.

- Safety Car is available in races 20% or over

- Can be turned off if you don't want it.

- No you cannot drive it

- It is available online

- You keep the same camera when the SC is out.

amar212

Congratulations Ian, great job done there.

Inclusion of SC is greatest reassurance of drastically improved AI and whole new behaviour model.

I really can't wait for the final game, you guys did one hell of foundation with that code there.

Nice to see them give it a go, but after last year, I have absolutely zero faith in their ability to pull it off successfully (or enjoyably).

Still, there's a chance.

Kind of.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Lucius86 said:
Why yes, that IS a safety car.

Great, more to write up on the |OT|
What a sight that is.

Anyway, with the prospect of the GAF championships using teams of 2, will team orders come into play here? "Quick, ditch the car so Lucius doesn't get away, trolololol"

I cannot wait for Zelda, Skyrim, Assassins Creed, Mario 3DLand, Mario Kart and loads more, but strangely enough, this is the game I am most hyped for this year. God it looks so good and I'm playing the 2010 game still and it is still so good, and this will be even better and more updated and the motherf'ing SLS is in, oh my god.

Ok, that's it. As you were.

Safety car in is massive news! And if they'd have left it out this year then they wouldn't get all the feedback to improve it for 2012.

Helios_CM said:
Here's some details about the safety car feature in the game for you:

- Yes you have control behind the SC but there'll be some restrictions. More details once everything is concrete.

- Safety Car is available in races 20% or over

- Can be turned off if you don't want it.

- No you cannot drive it

- It is available online

- You keep the same camera when the SC is out.

can we adjust tyre pressures?

brake bias on the fly?

amar212

Wax Free Vanilla said:
can we adjust tyre pressures?

brake bias on the fly?

Tire pressure is adjustable in pre-session setup.

Brake bias and fuel mixture is adjustable during race if I recall well.

amar212 said:
Tire pressure is adjustable in pre-session setup.

Brake bias and fuel mixture is adjustable during race if I recall well.

You can't adjust fuel mixture during the race. You could can change the engine mode to increase fuel saving but the fuel mixture would have to be before the race.

deim0s

Safety Car!?!?!?!?!? YES!!!!!!!

f0rk said:
I wonder if the Vita version will try anything interesting with the controls. The device is basically an F1 wheel.

That Vita port is looking good. I do hope they use the gyro.

amar212

Bungieware said:
You can't adjust fuel mixture during the race. You could can change the engine mode to increase fuel saving but the fuel mixture would have to be before the race.

I stand corrected, you can change the engine mode for fuel saving program.

I'm bewildered that people are now second guessing putting the safety car in 2011. The internet is a really funny place.

Lucius86

Banned
Quote said:
I'm bewildered that people are now second guessing putting the safety car in 2011. The internet is a really funny place.

Yeah, do people want it or not?!?!

If it's shit, we can turn it off. No big deal. If it works - heck yes I am going to love pulling away 50 car lengths every restart when the SC comes in shouting in the mic "TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL".

Yeah, I'm a twat.

Quote said:
It's because few weeks ago they didn't seem confident enough to include it.

mocoworm

I LOVED F1 2010 .. but I only played it with the control pad. When I get 2011 I intend to get a wheel as people seem to think it's a different game (for the better) with one.

Having never owned one, what is the best wheel to buy for this game ?

HeliosT10

brotkasten said:
It's because few weeks ago they didn't seem confident enough to include it.

That's actually the not the case, we've had it in dev builds for a while now and if you read the CM F1 forums it's the reason why T4RG4 has been unable to post the 2nd part of his 'The Race II', it's other factors that caused us to delay announcing it as a feature.

Oh, here's another good HD video from Gamescom of the Nurburgring with some nice driving with aids off and AI at intermediate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeFXJjcIokc

mocoworm

Foliorum Viridum said:
For PC/PS3 you can't go wrong with Logitech GT. I think it's what everybody in our league uses.

I am on XBOX360. Will look at the one you suggested though and see if there are any similar ones for 360. Thank you.

Top Bottom