• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 - September 23rd release

OK, having had a look over at the CM forums, my excitement for F1 Online has been dashed:

bit.ly/pjEcHK said:
Initially you will play as the team manager and the driver, though maybe in the future we'll have AI drivers you can hire, we'll see what happens.

moojito

I really liked the final in game shot of that video, where the williams was correcting out of a spin. You couldn't really do that in 2010. Once you were on your way there was really no stopping it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Kyaw said:
Dat suspension travel/wing flex

iciEVBD5J.gif

Jesus that is ingame! When i first saw it i thought it was from some real race.

Maybe? I haven't used assists since the game was first released so I can't remember.

Basically, if you lost the car and just tapped the brakes it should've stopped the spin. You came to quite a sudden stop and it definitely cost you, but it was a lot quicker than spinning more and risking going into a wall/car etc. If you didn't have your foot on the accelerator and turned into the spin it should work every time.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXFCXAFiC4

Look at the 14 sec mark there. I start to lose the car, tap the brakes, and I save it. That's not an extreme example of it, but the first I could find.

Xun

Looks like there's a strong community for the F1 games on the PC, many here play the 360/PS3 versions?

InertiaXr

I bought 2010 in the Steam summer sale, but it still seems to be broken. I assume I have the newest patch, or at least I should, but pit stop are still broken every time. I'm in season 2 of a career and haven't had a pit stop under 11 seconds for many many races because they will never let me out unless nobody else is on pit lane. Even forgetting Codemaster's using worthless worthless GFWL that has eaten TWO of my Codemasters games saves so far, F1 and Dirt 2, this game is still broken and I thought they said they had fixed the pit stop bug, did they just lie or something?

I got burned hard by paying full price for Dirt 3 that has almost no rally when they said it would have more than 2, but I'm thinking of getting F1 2011 because I'd like to participate in the GAF online league but Codemasters making it so hard for me to want to give them any money. :/

Edit: Oh boy, this is embarrassing. Came into pits in 2nd with Vettel and Hamilton just behind me, and I end up getting stuck in pits for so long that they both get out ahead of me before I am released THEN Kubica is released right ahead of me in a dangerous manner and my car auto brakes to about 5mph to let him ahead of me. There must be something wrong with my version on Steam, there is no way a legitimate developer would have this still going on nearly a year after release.

deim0s

InertiaXr said:
I bought 2010 in the Steam summer sale, but it still seems to be broken. I assume I have the newest patch, or at least I should, but pit stop are still broken every time. I'm in season 2 of a career and haven't had a pit stop under 11 seconds for many many races because they will never let me out unless nobody else is on pit lane. Even forgetting Codemaster's using worthless worthless GFWL that has eaten TWO of my Codemasters games saves so far, F1 and Dirt 2, this game is still broken and I thought they said they had fixed the pit stop bug, did they just lie or something?

I got burned hard by paying full price for Dirt 3 that has almost no rally when they said it would have more than 2, but I'm thinking of getting F1 2011 because I'd like to participate in the GAF online league but Codemasters making it so hard for me to want to give them any money. :/

Edit: Oh boy, this is embarrassing. Came into pits in 2nd with Vettel and Hamilton just behind me, and I end up getting stuck in pits for so long that they both get out ahead of me before I am released THEN Kubica is released right ahead of me in a dangerous manner and my car auto brakes to about 5mph to let him ahead of me. There must be something wrong with my version on Steam, there is no way a legitimate developer would have this still going on nearly a year after release.
Trying pitting one lap ahead. It's a fault of the game sadly.

gillty

Banned
I've on season 3 of a career and haven't had these problems since they patched it last year. (maybe I'm lucky) Updates for GFWL titles are down through GFWL not Steam, so unless you have logged in to LIVE ingame and received a title update you haven't been updated.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Lucius86 said:
Cheers Orgun - looks bloody impressive.

Oh, I want to get the some racing action in ASAP!
Same here, September cannot come soon enough for me.

Kyaw said:
Dat suspension travel/wing flex

iciEVBD5J.gif
Christ.

Anyway, interested in F1 Online too. As one of the 10 people who bought F1 Manager (The EA one from years ago) and enjoyed it a lot, the idea of managing a F1 team again intrigues me.

InertiaXr

deim0s said:
Trying pitting one lap ahead. It's a fault of the game sadly.

I've done that before, and tried a lap after my scheduled time, but there is always at least two other cars in on those laps since I do 20% races, and that's enough for the game to sit me in the pits for 3 times as long as I should be in there. Codemasters should be competent, I shouldn't have to change my race strategy because the game is broken. Anybody know if they are suppose to have fixed this in 2011?

AcridMeat

Banned
Stop It said:
Anyway, interested in F1 Online too. As one of the 10 people who bought F1 Manager (The EA one from years ago) and enjoyed it a lot, the idea of managing a F1 team again intrigues me.

You won't be able to save the team if you're the one driving, Stop It. /cheekymofo

InertiaXr said:
I've done that before, and tried a lap after my scheduled time, but there is always at least two other cars in on those laps since I do 20% races, and that's enough for the game to sit me in the pits for 3 times as long as I should be in there. Codemasters should be competent, I shouldn't have to change my race strategy because the game is broken. Anybody know if they are suppose to have fixed this in 2011?

Liffonmelsmork: Have the long waits in the pits been fixed?

Dev: Yes, fixed! Entirely new pit system was implemented after we reviewed last years work.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/08/11/f1-2011-your-questions-asked-more-than-50-of-them/

moojito said:
I really liked the final in game shot of that video, where the williams was correcting out of a spin. You couldn't really do that in 2010. Once you were on your way there was really no stopping it.

I'm just worried that oversteer is going to be the new car spin for 2011, it may just happen too often that it leads to frustration.

Stop It

AcridMeat said:
You won't be able to save the team if you're the one driving, Stop It. /cheekymofo

Anyway, I really hope we get a lot of interest in the GAF Championship this year. Of course our core group are all ready but I'd love to see a few new faces for the F1 2011 season.

Sleeplessnights said:
I'm just worried that oversteer is going to be the new car spin for 2011, it may just happen too often that it leads to frustration.
As someone who uses the DFGT, I would prefer the oversteers. being able to use power oversteer or correcting a massive fishtail like you see in real F1 would be a joy rather than the spin/brake routine that f1 2010 became.

Stop It said:
Anyway, I really hope we get a lot of interest in the GAF Championship this year. Of course our core group are all ready but I'd love to see a few new faces for the F1 2011 season.

I wouldn't mind joining the GAF Championship, I play on the PS3 though :(

Stop It said:
As someone who uses the DFGT, I would prefer the oversteers. being able to use power oversteer or correcting a massive fishtail like you see in real F1 would be a joy rather than the spin/brake routine that f1 2010 became.

I think the frustration in 2010 came from the car spinning even if you didn't do anything wrong. I know that power oversteer is a driver error, which is a lot better.

I didn't feel like the spins were random most of the time. It was usually due to putting the power down too early, or something similar that was equally my own fault.

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
I didn't feel like the spins were random most of the time. It was usually due to putting the power down too early, or something similar that was equally my own fault.
Indeed. By the end, spins didn't feel random because 90% of the time I could tell what caused them, what bothered me was the "tap brakes to correct spin" element of the handling model. From what I played of F1 2011 last month, that is gone.

Foliorum Viridum said:

It happened way too often for me in Catalunya at turns 14 and 15, turn 2 in Sepang, turns 12 and 13 in Abu Dhabi, just as an example. Any sort of power there led to an easy spin, I use the DFGT.

Kyaw

Some annoying snap oversteers occurred for me for slightly going on the curbs.
It felt really random and i can't find the fault.

You do have to be careful on some kerbs, that's true. Some you need to avoid at all costs, whereas others you can go straight over. It depends on the track and the size of them.

Someone made out in the other F1 thread you couldn't hit them at all, which is utter nonsense.

Kyaw

Foliorum Viridum said:
You do have to be careful on some kerbs, that's true. Some you need to avoid at all costs, whereas others you can go straight over. It depends on the track and the size of them.

Someone made out in the other F1 thread you couldn't hit them at all, which is utter nonsense.

LOL

You went all four wheels off the track at 0:45! :p

It's mostly slow or mid-speed corner curbs and of course it's totally random for me.

I was obviously going out of my way to hit them for the sake of that video :p

But yeah, on slower corners you can't always just go over them. Lots of corners you can clip them in an attempt to make the line as straight as possible, but if you get too much of them or hit the power too early, you're gone.

Monaco is maybe the best example of a track where you need to hit them perfectly to get the best out of the track. Get a bit too much of them and you'll bin it.

I'll have to wait for 2011 to compare both games but I don't think you can't use the Kerbs at all, it's just that some of them spin you randomly (at least to me)

I don't think it's random, I just think there's some you need to avoid or handle correctly. If you hit them differently you'll get different results, which might feel random.

Kyaw said:
Also is it just me or does the F1 tyres look totally huggable?

They look so soft and plushy. :3

Personally, I prefer the super-soft :p

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't think it's random, I just think there's some you need to avoid or handle correctly. If you hit them differently you'll get different results, which might feel random.

After watching your video I realised that I do take too much out of 14 and 15, I'll try attacking them differently and compare the results.

Ark

Don't plan on buying this game, bought the first one but 2011 continues to look better and better..

But GFWL LOL.

Kyaw

GFWL has never been problematic though.

If it's the same as it was in F1 2010 and Dirt 3, it's completely fine.

Orgun

Kyaw said:
GFWL has never been problematic though.

If it's the same as it was in F1 2010 and Dirt 3, it's completely fine.

Never had a problem with GFWL. Except when I forget to open ports on the router and I can only hear half the people in a chat room :)

HenryHSH

I've had problems with GFWL. It would try to use the hamachi network interface (Not active) instead of Local Area Connection and I had an extremely fun time trying to figure that one out because every other game I've ever played worked fine. Even changing the order of my network services and putting Local area connection first wasn't enough, I had to disable any inactive network to connect to GFWL. :(

djm

Hate to be this guy, but how easy would you guys consider this game to get into? I've seen a total of like 2 hours of Formula 1 racing on TV, but feel like I get the gist of it. I've put 10+ hours into Forza 2/3 so I know I enjoy racing around a track, but this seems way more intense.

My main question being is this fun to play with a gamepad? I know wheels are superior in every way but I simply don't play enough to justify the money on a decent wheel/mount. From the various video I saw of 2010, it looked like batshit crazy speed at every turn and wasn't sure I could handle it on controller. To give you an idea of what I'm comfortable with, I play Forza with driving lines/ABS off but keep traction control and automatic transmission on.

I suppose I'll just find out when I try it, but figured I'd get some feedback with it still a ways off yet.

f0rk

djm said:
Hate to be this guy, but how easy would you guys consider this game to get into? I've seen a total of like 2 hours of Formula 1 racing on TV, but feel like I get the gist of it. I've put 10+ hours into Forza 2/3 so I know I enjoy racing around a track, but this seems way more intense.

My main question being is this fun to play with a gamepad? I know wheels are superior in every way but I simply don't play enough to justify the money on a decent wheel/mount. From the various video I saw of 2010, it looked like batshit crazy speed at every turn and wasn't sure I could handle it on controller. To give you an idea of what I'm comfortable with, I play Forza with driving lines/ABS off but keep traction control and automatic transmission on.

I suppose I'll just find out when I try it, but figured I'd get some feedback with it still a ways off yet.

I can't imagine it being any harder than Forza, the cars are beasts designed to be raced so handle a lot better. The tracks are also a lot more focused so you can really learn the racing lines.

AcridMeat

Banned
djm said:

I used the 360 pad for 145 or so hours, it's doable and fun. But I eventually bought a wheel because I want to be on the same level as the chuckleheads of F1-GAF.

How was the PC community for 2010? No problem to find online races? Seriously interested in getting this and maybe a g25/g27 down the line.

Kyaw

Diablohead said:
I want to make a slow motion video when the game comes out, with stuff like flex and suspension it's going to look wonderful

If replay mode offers slow motion/high speed camera mode, that would be cool. (where the gif comes from)

If not, making a slow-mo out of normal speed footage look bad.

I can't fathom hating GFWL so much it makes you play the shitty console version over PC. Madness.

F1 at 30fps just doesn't work, even if you ignore the other benefits of PC.

Juicy Bob

Foliorum Viridum said:
F1 at 30fps just doesn't work, even if you ignore the other benefits of PC.
C'mon mate. You know 30 FPS is acceptable. For sure 60 FPS is better and preferable but when people start coming out with 'anything less than 60 is unacceptable', that's just hyperbole.

I play F1 2010 on PS3 and think the graphics are great (the game's 'art direction' is another matter), and I'm quite happy with 30 FPS. I've also played GP4 and GTR2 over the years and while the graphics engines of those games aren't as good, they'll easily play at a much higher frame rate. However, for me, 30 FPS is just fine. I honestly don't notice too much of a difference when I'm racing on GT5 compared to F1 2010, in terms of frame rate, anyway. I only become aware of it when people point it out.

Top Bottom