• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2013 |OT| The last one with Webber in it

Zeknurn

I still don't really see a reason to leave F1 2011 behind, think that I still prefer to play that and some 2010 then these newer titles.

GFWL is shutting down next year so I guess that's a reason

I had a 100% race in Melbourne to kick off F1 2013. It's fun. I didn't play too much of 2012, because I didn't like the handling, but to me, 2013 feels more like the 2011 handling (which I did like).

Handling is what killed 2012 for me and you're tempting me with that comment but I must stay strong because this game will inevitably turn out to be completely broken and Codemasters will patch it a few times but never fix it..

Jibbed

I still don't really see a reason to leave F1 2011 behind, think that I still prefer to play that and some 2010 then these newer titles.

Even though I remember 2010's handling being sketchy as hell with my old 360 wheel, playing that was some of the best fun I've had playing F1 games. It was a blast - tricky to master but oh so satisfying when you did.

Still debating whether to get 2013 or not.. only had one or two people posting about handling, I need more impressions damnit!

Foshy

I feel that 2013 on PS3 is unplayable with the G27 with no assists and standard wheel settings. It seems that they have fixed the understeering, yeah, but on the other hand, doing slight adjustments when you're driving straight throws you off track near instantly.

I'll give it a second chance when some people figure out the right settings for that wheel.

Shaneus

Do yourself a favor and play that one instead of F1 2013. It's infinitely better than any of the Codies games, really.
Cheers! I have 2010 and 2011 and didn't mind either (stupid game bugs notwithstanding, especially the one where you couldn't use two GPUs in 2011 with DX11 enabled. Was never fixed) but this serves as more encouragement to give it a go. Do you remember if it had wheel (particularly, G27) support w/ FFB?

Daffy Duck

Really? Didn't CM confirm this was only a current gen game? 2014 is on an all new engine apparently for next gen.

It bloody needs it, this game looks dire.

Mad_Ban

I really wish there was a demo for this :( I want to buy it so bad, but they can fuck off if the braking is still shit and the car handles like a boat.

IISANDERII

You know the game is going to be terrible when even the typical hyperbolic Codemasters PR didn't even had the guts to do it this year. They basically spent all their effort marketing the historical cars, half of those you don't get unless you buy a special edition or DLC.

So half of the only significant improvements are locked behind a paygate. Hilarious.

If Madden or NBA series did something like this, the press would absolutely crushed them but because it's F1 and most of them don't understand how the sport works, the reviews are just their typical lovefest of Codemasters games and PR bulletpoints copy-pasted to reviews.

IGN 9.0: The best F1 simulation ever. (but the car brakes like a Fiat Punto and understeers like a lawnmower). Can't wait.

PS - If any Codemasters PR is reading this, I can change my post to something positive if they can send me a copy of the game, a scarf and a mug of F1 2013. Please PM.
Too damned true. Even racing games in general I feel that the gaming press cannot be counted on for reliable reviews, reviews shaped around basic understandings of the tenets of motorsport.

Risgroo

I really wish there was a demo for this :( I want to buy it so bad, but they can fuck off if the braking is still shit and the car handles like a boat.

Well, you should be able to read a lot of impressions pretty soon. I won't be able to try it out until about 10PM tomorrow, sadly. If it's anywhere near 2011 I'll be pretty happy, as that's probably my favorite racing game.

Foshy

Cheers! I have 2010 and 2011 and didn't mind either (stupid game bugs notwithstanding, especially the one where you couldn't use two GPUs in 2011 with DX11 enabled. Was never fixed) but this serves as more encouragement to give it a go. Do you remember if it had wheel (particularly, G27) support w/ FFB?
Yeah, G27 works like a charm. I'm pretty sure there was FFB too.

Wow, is it just me or are the graphics on the PS3 version horrible?
They are. IQ is completely shit, especially in the rain.

Shaneus

Too damned true. Even racing games in general I feel that the gaming press cannot be counted on for reliable reviews, reviews shaped around basic understandings of the tenets of motorsport.
Just like that review of Football Manager on IGN a little while back. Got given a 2.5 or something despite being legitimately better than each previous iteration, just because the reviewer didn't "get" FM games.

Certinty

Wow, is it just me or are the graphics on the PS3 version horrible?
Just like every Codemasters game then. I've bought all their racing games this gen but only one on the PS3 which was GRID 2 (the rest on the 360) and it's the worst graphically by far. Would even go as far as saying GRID on the 360 looks better.

Mad_Ban

So I preordered it for £14.99... Won't be able to give impressions tonight as my internet is so shitty the preload won't be done by the time it unlocks.

If it's shit, oh well it's only £15.

Before we get more impressions on 2013, is F1 2011 considered to be the best F1 game so far? I might pick that up for cheap instead

Shaneus

On that note, I'd fucking KILL for a WEC-licensed game. God damn, that would be the shit. Work your way through the classes over a few seasons... ungh, someone do it.

Any idea when the DLC packs will be available on the UK Marketplace?

Also are we getting a combined pack with both DLCs for £11.99 like PSN?

This varies depending on your location. The DLC is set to be available day 1 in the following territories for PlayStation3 and Xbox 360:

• North America
• Canada
• Mexico
• South America
• Japan

As for the rest of the world I've got no exact date but it shouldn't be too long. I'll check into that bundle for you :)

Retail

Edit: That's a yes for the bundle on Xbox 360 as well.

Megasoum

Banned
This varies depending on your location. The DLC is set to be available day 1 in the following territories for PlayStation3 and Xbox 360:

• North America
• Canada
• Mexico
• South America
• Japan

As for the rest of the world I've got no exact date but it shouldn't be too long. I'll check into that bundle for you :)

Retail

So Canada and Mexico are not in North America anymore? That's a huge bummer, I'll have to re-learn everything I was thought it school growing up!

Certinty

• North America
• Canada
• Mexico
• South America
• Japan

Retail

That's good to hear, thanks. :) I just hope it is soon.

Daishogun

Been playing all day since it got released down here in Australia on PC. Too any improvements over 2012. Handling is so, so much better. You can actually get over steer, wheel spin is much more pronounced, which I like, and the curbs have real impact to them; usable but not abusable. AI is much more aggressive, albeit still not quite as fast as I'd like. Only real issue is that my triple screen set up is showing off some graphical glitches on the left and right screens, as well as the in garage monitor stretching across all three despite not doing so in last year's game. Finally, the graphics have seen an upgrade. Lighting is better, the textures are also slightly more detailed, but it meant that I had to go from 2xMSAA to no AA to keep my constant 60fps. Might be new beta drivers from NVidia though.

Tl;dr: much better than 2012.Buy it.

PS: Glorious OT. If only Webber won the WDC, such a shame for such a wonderful person and brilliant driver. Plus he is an Aussie ;)

dubc35

On that note, I'd fucking KILL for a WEC-licensed game. God damn, that would be the shit. Work your way through the classes over a few seasons... ungh, someone do it.

Oh, that would be glorious!
...would sell like shit tho :(

Jibbed

Oh, that would be glorious!
...would sell like shit tho :(

TOCA 3 taken to the next level with a good amount of licensed championships would be godly. To be honest, pCARS seems to be heading in that direction anyway. They've got individual cars, they just need the backing from each series to make it a bit more authentic.

I'd love a racing game where you literally 'live' the life of a racing driver from aged 8 in karts through to either single-seater, GT, touring cars, oval, dirt series or whatever.

Addnan

Since the game is out in Australia I was going to VPN and unlock, but I don't know any free VPN that will let me connect to steam through Australia. FlyVPN Australia servers cost money.

Addnan

game just unlocked on Steam in Europe. Don't have time to play much, but quick early impressions. The engine sound is horrible as known, the understeer appears to be resolved, wet weather looks nice and the FFB is really crap now that I have play GSC.

Phinor

After two quick races I'm feeling quite happy. Going in I knew it was going to be a Codemasters game in every good and bad way and so far it feels like it's the best iteration of this franchise yet. Being able to downsample (through Nvidia drivers, no in-game option for that), put tons of MSAA and have 100+ fps even on starts is pretty satisfying (especially when you've spent three days trying to make BF4 beta anything but unplayable, and failing at that). The game/engine seems to be utilizing my quad core extremely well with all four cores being stressed plenty.

I don't remember how the AI was in previous versions but so far I like it. On more than one occasion it didn't simply hand me it's position but actually kept driving the better line and easily won the battle. On the other hand I managed to pass couple of AIs who were battling with other cars and ended up driving an inferior line through a corner. They gave up the corner pretty easily as they probably should, being in an inferior position. Just keep in mind that this is just a quick impression after roughly 10 laps of racing.

Shaneus

game just unlocked on Steam in Europe. Don't have time to play much, but quick early impressions. The engine sound is horrible as known, the understeer appears to be resolved, wet weather looks nice and the FFB is really crap now that I have play GSC.
Do you have/did you preorder GSC2013? Hanging to play it this weekend :D

Addnan

Do you have/did you preorder GSC2013? Hanging to play it this weekend :D

I've been playing it since they sent the links out.

Gonna be streaming 2013 for a bit twitch.tv/addnan just hot laps, trying to get the hang of it. Doubt many are awake now, but vids will be up there later.

edit: the game sucks, if you have a half decent PC please buy Game Stock Car. Will give the F1 experience we all crave. Fuck Codemaster and fuck me for giving them money.

Shaneus

edit: the game sucks, if you have a half decent PC please buy Game Stock Car. Will give the F1 experience we all crave. Fuck Codemaster and fuck me for giving them money.
Details! What exactly is worse? Wheel handling still screwed?

PS. From my limited knowledge about the hardware reqs of both games, you need about a tenth of the PC required for F1 to run GSC.

PPS. Like that it barely took you 30 minutes to draw that conclusion. You should edit the OP and put it in there (I can't remember if it was you who did the OP or not, but anyway).

Addnan

Details! What exactly is worse? Wheel handling still screwed?

PS. From my limited knowledge about the hardware reqs of both games, you need about a tenth of the PC required for F1 to run GSC.

The wheel is fine, for a codemasters game. The understeer is improved over 2012 a lot. There is pretty much no FFB from the track, just when you hit a curb it makes a little bump lol. The game is fine if you are happy with a Codemasters F1 game, but I played GSC and can't go back lol. Overall it's a better game than 2012 so far. The traction control off option just feels weird, I don't know. Off the line throttle all the way in, wheel spins up as it should, but little else, car doesn't move or anything. Out of a corner it's really inconsistent. I can slowly come of a corner, wheels start to spin my car spins off the track. Other times, pedal all the way in out of a corner and no spin nothing.

edit: Have I moaned about how the cars sound. Sounds like I'm taking a piss, not like a fucking V8 roaring.

Seanspeed

Banned
Bought this last night cuz I desperately needed a racing game and don't have a wheel setup. Was never a huge fan of Codemasters racing games, not because they're awful, but because they're usually not 'sim' enough for me.

And its alright. I'm having fun driving again at least. I have a feeling I'm going to need to do most of my racing online, though, as usual. Never played one of Codies' F1 games before and even without any driving aids, I'm already blowing the AI away in inferior machinery. Granted, I was on medium, but still, I've got a lot of room for improvement. Not too surprised at this, I guess. But I do hope enough people play online so I can get some good competition.

The cars feel 100% Codemasters. Very little sense of weight transfer, able to mash the gas and slam the brakes quite hard without too much concern(again, TC and ABS off), but it does handle quite ok on a controller, so I'm not really complaining. Its completely what I was expecting going in.

I'll probably sink a fair bit of time into this, just because I'm a racing addict. :p

kharma45

I've been playing it since they sent the links out.

Gonna be streaming 2013 for a bit twitch.tv/addnan just hot laps, trying to get the hang of it. Doubt many are awake now, but vids will be up there later.

Well that's my decision made. Typical Codies shite.

Mad_Ban

The horrible handling of 2012 is gone :) Feels a lot like F1 2011, but with a bit more grip, imo.

I like it so far seeing as I'm enjoying driving the cars again, but lord knows how many bugs are going to crawl out of the woodwork.

kharma45

Phleg pls. Don't make me give them £15 out of my curiosity to judge it for myself.

Edit - Wait, you're a controller heathen.

Mad_Ban

Phleg pls. Don't make me give them £15 out of my curiosity to judge it for myself.

Edit - Wait, you're a controller heathen.

I'd say wait for Penguin to make a comment then. :p

All I know from the two or so hours so far is that I've enjoyed it a lot more than I ever did 2012.

Hmm I really want to buy the game.

If I was still using gamepads to play racers on PC I'm sure I'd have no problem, but......if the FFB isn't there, then the driving isn't there imo.

Still, its the only game that will give a truly authentic F1 vibe with all the right names and colours, voices, venues etc.

How flipping hard is it to put some damn effort into the FFB?

Shaneus

Bought this last night cuz I desperately needed a racing game and don't have a wheel setup. Was never a huge fan of Codemasters racing games, not because they're awful, but because they're usually not 'sim' enough for me.

And its alright. I'm having fun driving again at least. I have a feeling I'm going to need to do most of my racing online, though, as usual. Never played one of Codies' F1 games before and even without any driving aids, I'm already blowing the AI away in inferior machinery. Granted, I was on medium, but still, I've got a lot of room for improvement. Not too surprised at this, I guess. But I do hope enough people play online so I can get some good competition.

The cars feel 100% Codemasters. Very little sense of weight transfer, able to mash the gas and slam the brakes quite hard without too much concern(again, TC and ABS off), but it does handle quite ok on a controller, so I'm not really complaining. Its completely what I was expecting going in.

I'll probably sink a fair bit of time into this, just because I'm a racing addict. :p
It's people like you who let Codemasters think that churning out the same bug-ridden crap every year is a good thing :(

It's cool that you somewhat enjoy it, really. I just wish there was a way people could enjoy it AND simultaneously not give them the impression that they're releasing half-decent games.

Speech

The wheel is fine, for a codemasters game. The understeer is improved over 2012 a lot. There is pretty much no FFB from the track, just when you hit a curb it makes a little bump lol. The game is fine if you are happy with a Codemasters F1 game, but I played GSC and can't go back lol. Overall it's a better game than 2012 so far. The traction control off option just feels weird, I don't know. Off the line throttle all the way in, wheel spins up as it should, but little else, car doesn't move or anything. Out of a corner it's really inconsistent. I can slowly come of a corner, wheels start to spin my car spins off the track. Other times, pedal all the way in out of a corner and no spin nothing.

edit: Have I moaned about how the cars sound. Sounds like I'm taking a piss, not like a fucking V8 roaring.

I had similar FFB problems with the previous F1 games with my G27. I found that limiting the game to 60fps with nvidia inspector fixed it for me. Might be worth a try.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's people like you who let Codemasters think that churning out the same bug-ridden crap every year is a good thing :(

It's cool that you somewhat enjoy it, really. I just wish there was a way people could enjoy it AND simultaneously not give them the impression that they're releasing half-decent games.
Haven't noticed any bugs.

Game seems good, though I'm pretty terrible at it.

Has it always made that booming noise when you change gears? Its a bit annoying, can't see a way to turn it off either.

Feel like i've made a mistake being Caterham in career mode.

dubc35

Looks like the suspension bug, not really a bug but I'll call it that because Codemasters, is still present.

There were no obvious game-breaking bugs to be found while testing the game for review and no ‘invisible walls’ to be found or crashed into. Unfortunately, it still seems that running 1-1 level wings, 1-1 ride heights and 11-11 spring stiffness is a viable set-up option for every track yet again, and it’s a shame that these extreme settings don’t result in making cars almost undriveable as they really should do.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/10/04/f1-2013-the-f1-fanatic-review/

Top Bottom