• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2013 |OT| The last one with Webber in it

Shaneus

Looks like the suspension bug, not really a bug but I'll call it that because Codemasters, is still present.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/10/04/f1-2013-the-f1-fanatic-review/
Ahahahahahaha.

Edit:
But with all the improvements made under the hood, the one thing F1 2013 needs but noticeably lacks is a fresh coat of paint. As fun as the racing is, too much of the game feels identical to the previous three in the series. The same pre-race cinematic from the original F1 2010 remains, as does the woefully limited replay system and car set-up parameters. Post-race celebration animations are identical to F1 2011, as are much of the engineer’s radio messages. Even the main menu music has been recycled from last year’s game.
So yeah, basically a roster update. If it didn't have the classics in there (which arguably, are not a lot of effort to include. Two new tracks and a handful of new cars does not a worthy follow-up make, never mind that you have to pay extra to access them) then it would be even harder to justify Codies spending more than a few months in pushing this out.

Can we start the patch counting as of now? Should we start a pool of just how many will be released in what timespan? I'm gonna guess 10 for the PC in total, over the space of... two months (just in time for the inevitable F1 Race Stars sequel to come out at the start of December for the Christmas rush).

Ugh, why do they insist on making people do young driver tests then unskippable voice overs explaining the main menu then unskippable voice overs explaining options when you get into a race.

Is it so hard to add a choice when you start the game up to say yes I've played it before let me race and no I haven't please pander to me.

Addnan

I *think* its working now if anyone wants to watch. Trying to stream in 60fps. http://www.twitch.tv/addnan/

Ugh, why do they insist on making people do young driver tests then unskippable voice overs explaining the main menu then unskippable voice overs explaining options when you get into a race.

Is it so hard to add a choice when you start the game up to say yes I've played it before let me race and no I haven't please pander to me.

I quit the game and then it didn't make me do the young drivers test.

Addnan

No traction control with controller is so fucking easy, with pedals it seems to be crazy hard. I barely touch it and its going full throttle.

Looks like the suspension bug, not really a bug but I'll call it that because Codemasters, is still present.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/10/04/f1-2013-the-f1-fanatic-review/

I've played enough of 2011 and 2012 to know for sure that the "suspension bug" wasn't anywhere near as fast in 2012 as what it was in 2011, and that more variable setups produced better times in 2012 with less tyre wear. I've run a PC league for these games for over 2 years now and have at least 200 hours played in all the games separately, so I know a bugged setup when I see one. Non-patched 2011's bugged setup was the low point of the series setups-wise, and in that aspect they've only improved from that point.

The issues setup-wise in 2012 were that 1-1 wings could be used at any track effectively, and that one alignment setup worked well at all circuits. While I haven't really tested the latter at this point, the aero definitely seems to be working better in 2013. Monaco for example is faster with 11-11 wings than it is with 1-1 wings, and vice-versa for a track like Monza. Mind you, 1-1 is only a relative setting based on the track you're on and not the same at every track, but it's an improvement nonetheless. The car tends to understeer more and more the lower downforce you go, which makes sense to me. You might still get away with 1-1 aero in Time Trial, but I doubt the effectiveness of it in longer races will be present to the same level as it was in 2012.

The game is pretty much a melding of 2012 and 2011 handling wise. It's 2012 + more pointy front end grip + stronger braking with less lockups + introduction of more aggressive rear wheelspin, minus a lot of the weird understeer effect on wheels from 2012 that needed excessive steering saturation to combat. While the slip angle effect can still be felt, it is still a serious improvement in 2012 and it can be modded out on PC with no issues. Tyre model also seems to be improved too.

The wheelspin in my mind is a great addition and it makes sense. It makes race starts more difficult to perfect, and makes low speed, low gear cornering clumsy, which is similar to real life due to no added aerodynamic grip pushing the car to the ground at high speeds increasing cornering speed, which is also why the wheelspin doesn't occur in high speed corners in 5th gear and above.

It most importantly rewards those that are more progressive with their acceleration than those who slam the accelerator, without making the more aggressive driver frustrated due to endless spinning of the car. It delivers an easy introduction to the benefits of throttle control for those that don't play racing sims, which is a key skill you need to learn to be any good at any somewhat realistic racing game. They can't get away with using traction control either, because you can still do all this with TC on, and the aggressive cutting of the engine with it set only increases lap times (which was another odd bug of 2011 too, TC gave cars more grip and never cut the engine power, making the game horribly imbalanced if assists were used).

Wheel-gamepad balancing has improved due to this too. Gamepad users can still be very quick like in 2012, but wheel users are definitely on the same playing field this time around.

The cars in general are fun to drive. Yes they're not anything on real sims but they were never intended to be. While the classic cars are ridiculous and way too fast compared to their actual counterparts lap times wise, they're a blast to drive. Especially the 86 Lotus. Driving that thing at Monaco on worn tyres is quite the experience! Sure, it's not as hard as driving pCARS' version of the same car, but hey, it's a new thing after the relative easiness of the cars in F1 2012 (once you dealt with the understeer, anyway).

Only problem I still have is FFB quality, but I think that's been a lost cause in these games for a while now.

Hope this helps your purchasing choices concerning 2013 F1GAF.

Addnan

With steering wheel there is still an obvious understeer problem, not as bad as 2012, but it's enough to make me stop. Switched to controller just now and it's just not there.

kharma45

With steering wheel there is still an obvious understeer problem, not as bad as 2012, but it's enough to make me stop. Switched to controller just now and it's just not there.

ctNmVga.jpg

Addnan

I just let my little brother play with the wheel, he's not exactly a driving game nut and the first thing he says is why doesn't the car turn properly lol. So yeah, it's not just being picky.

Certinty

AI are FAR better than previous games but I'm not fully convinced as of yet, at times they're great but at others they're questionable to say the least.

But for me at least, I can get some entertaining competitive races on legend for once on a F1 game, so I'm happy with that.

Jabba

Banned
I quit this dud series from Codemasters after 2010PS3 and 2011PC. Never bothered with 2012. Still play F1 CE on PS3 once in a while.

Truthfully though I am a sucker/idiot for F1. Knowing the compound/safety changes to this years season would tip the season to Redbull. They were supposed to change the manufacture of the tires for saftey, not the compounds themselves.

I vehemently told my family, NEVER AGAIN!! Of course, 4 weeks later the DVR has all the Practice/Qualifying sessions and Races on the DVR.

So fucking weak.......

Anyway, if it was said to me by reliable reviews from fans and gaf, it was a great edition, I'd go right the fuck out and buy it.

So fucking weak......

amar212

It should have always been a *platform service* game with constant updates, since 2010 onwards. GT5 style, you buy a game and from then on, you buy DLC updates. If you bought 2011 for instance, you can download 2010 and 2012 content packs and 2013 service pack (updates + content).

Of course, prices would have be ajusted accordingly, depending of when you are buying something.

I think they would sell shitton more in gross numbers and crticism would be less pronounced due to total investement value.

Reading all impressions so far, I think I will not splash another 60euros for this. I bought all 3 previous games on Day 1 and with 180 euros given to Codemasters in 3 years, they have stastistically become the developer/publisher I gave most money in this generation through annum.

I will not continue to do that, sorry Codies. I will buy this when prices drop. Significantly.

NHale

Makes me wonder what they did for a year apart from model classic cars.

Probably next-gen engine. They don't have a lot of developers working on F1 so they probably made the decision of hoping that historical cars and a roster update is more than enough to sell a new 60€ game.

But since they are completely out of their mind they thought it was enough and split the historical cars and tracks in half and charge an extra 10€ for the complete package.

Can't wait for UK charts on Monday. Considering the online retailers sales charts this seems likely to hit the 17.99 magic price in less than 6 weeks...

zugzug

I saw one guy Streaming F1 2013 on twitch. Watched it on my Galaxy S4. Luved the sounds luved how this guy was playing then I realized he was on a steering wheel. I don't own one won't buy one.

I got burned in F1 2010 on steam, haven't dipped back in since. Charging extra for this old classic cars kicks me in the teeth. When I say burned for me I simply didn't play it enough to warrant a day 1 purchase and I couldn't get enjoyment from the keyboard and mouse.

It did get me excited though seeing it and hearing it. Dood was last place with Vettel in Monaco funny. Then he played another quickrace he was Marussia had to finish in front of Chilton, he got a 10 second penalty for hitting someone else caused him to in timing to finish behind even though he was like 5 cars in front of his teammate. Then another this time was practice on Korea track he got penalized everytime for going off the track and I guess it invalidated his laptime. That would annoy me.

sooo can anyone boot up local multiplayer and see if u can play a season/series of races again? it let you in 2011 but in 2012 you can only do one race at a time which is...kinda dumb

Shaneus

It did get me excited though seeing it and hearing it. Dood was last place with Vettel in Monaco funny. Then he played another quickrace he was Marussia had to finish in front of Chilton, he got a 10 second penalty for hitting someone else caused him to in timing to finish behind even though he was like 5 cars in front of his teammate. Then another this time was practice on Korea track he got penalized everytime for going off the track and I guess it invalidated his laptime. That would annoy me.
Well, there's something I didn't consider buying this game for. Playing as Vettel and losing every race.

Shit. That might just be it for me.

Addnan

The lack of FFB is really pissing me off. Changing wheel settings and car setups is helping forget the understeer, but damn how do I know when tyres are gripping and stuff.

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
Graphics and sound comparison between all of versions of Formula 1 developed by Codemasters: F1 2013, 2012, 2011 y 2010. The video is a lap at Melbourne, Australia, with the Ferrari from 2010 to 2013.

I don't have a PC, so does anyone know if these games generally run better on the 360 versus the PS3 from year to year or vice versa? This game wasn't really on my radar but Drew played this on Unprofessional Fridays last night (Giant Bomb series) and it piqued my interest.

I don't have a PC, so does anyone know if these games generally run better on the 360 versus the PS3 from year to year or vice versa? This game wasn't really on my radar but Drew played this on Unprofessional Fridays last night (Giant Bomb series) and it piqued my interest.
Performance used to be better on 360, as far as I know. PS3 had always the worst version.

EDIT: Has someone tested the multiplayer yet? Is our league saved?

TJP

Graphics and sound comparison between all of versions of Formula 1 developed by Codemasters: F1 2013, 2012, 2011 y 2010. The video is a lap at Melbourne, Australia, with the Ferrari from 2010 to 2013.

Another great video Adrian. I'm starting to wonder if video creation isn't your full time job ;)

Anyone else had cars suddenly appear next to you then disappear in career?

PC version btw

I thought F12011 was the buggiest game but this is taking the cake

Risgroo

Well... the 90s cars are pretty fun. Other than that I'm pretty disappointed, the biggest problem is the FFB, it's hardly even there. I'll give the game a few more hours, but it looks like I'll still be playing 2011 and pCARS.
fuck

NHale

Anyone else had cars suddenly appear next to you then disappear in career?

PC version btw

I thought F12011 was the buggiest game but this is taking the cake

Codemasters will probably say the F1 license doesn't allow them to show more than 2 cars next to each other for more than 2 seconds.

Well... the 90s cars are pretty fun. Other than that I'm pretty disappointed, the biggest problem is the FFB, it's hardly even there. I'll give the game a few more hours, but it looks like I'll still be playing 2011 and pCARS.
fuck
Have you tried the online yet? What about the other ever present bugs?

The tyre wear model is fucking garbage

Started a race on prime tyres and they go bald before the AIs soft tyres

The Ai does not seem affected by tyre wear at all

Addnan

Tyre wear seems to be one of the things they actually did pretty well from playing. Different cars wear out differently, eg Lotus seems to be the best on its tyres. Driving style affects tyre wear. Wheel spin, going off track, locking, pushing too hard, etc. A lot of these things the AI don't do and so naturally their wear wouldn't be as high. For your wear to be lower avoid spinning the wheels up too much, riding the curb all the time, dipping wheel into the gravel/grass. If you playing without TC it will be hard to keep clean tyres.

How easily are you guys getting gold in the last driver test? 2 laps around the circuit?

I'm 1 second off gold every time. I want that silver trophy god-damn it.

Doesn't help that I suck, either.

Certinty

How easily are you guys getting gold in the last driver test? 2 laps around the circuit?

Was pretty easy.

Does the car you use have different performance in the driver tests though? I struggled a lot with the hairpin test in the Red Bull but everything else was a breeze.

Jibbed

Hate to be 'that guy' but I honestly got it without even trying.

I've only played the YDT so far but it feels so much better than 2012 already. Still need to get used to the new braking/wheelspin physics but it looks great (PC) and the turn-in is pretty fucking sharp.

Hate to be 'that guy' but I honestly got it without even trying.

I've only played the YDT so far but it feels so much better than 2012 already. Still need to get used to the new braking/wheelspin physics but it looks great (PC) and the turn-in is pretty fucking sharp.

Was pretty easy.

Does the car you use have different performance in the driver tests though? I struggled a lot with the hairpin test in the Red Bull but everything else was a breeze.

Well, shit.

Using red bull and the only assist I use is ABS. Hmmm. I guess I really do just suck.

Hargenx

No I will not fall to it...

Must be strong, wait till 2015...Hope some Brazilian make their way back to the the throne..Yeah LOL who am I kidding?!

I picked up F2013 over the weekend and while I really enjoy classic mode so far, understeer is still problematic. Two long races thus far and it deems like the AI tire wear is nothing compared to mine.

Addnan

Lotus are on a damn budget aren't they. Couldn't even be bothered to write my name on the car. Just left Romain on there.

romain9tstt.png

Top Bottom