• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2013 |OT| The last one with Webber in it

The Codies guys seem like really cool people, but the kinds of bugs that somehow manage to constantly find their way into release code actually takes the piss.

Sometimes I have a feeling that the cost of the F1 license means that they have no money for anything else.

TJP

I was tempted to buy F1 2013 for 13 pounds then I remembered last year's effort. Instead I've spent time modding F1 2012 with season 2013 updates and community bug fixes and saving myself 13 pounds in the process. Feels good, man.

Also the post below appeared:
That sweet Codemasters QA goodness 8) It's shite like this that should have been picked up during beta testing. The F1 2013 community will once again find the bugs CM couldn't..

TJP

The Codies guys seem like really cool people, but the kinds of bugs that somehow manage to constantly find their way into release code actually takes the piss.
I'm sure the Codemaster's guys are all fantastic people but that doesn't excuse years of bug riddled F1 games. Edit: To be fair, so far F1 2013 hasn't suffered from the same amount of issues as previous games.

Sometimes I have a feeling that the cost of the F1 license means that they have no money for anything else.
Codemasters have no excuses - the F1 gaming community is huge and there would be many volunteers willing to help on the PC side. Game testing is something many of us do, for free, for development teams in our spare time.

TCRS

Banned
This thread reminds me of the good old Grand Prix 3 days. I don't think I've properly played a F1 game since then. I had F12010 for a while but it didn't really click.

Jibbed

I've just finished Bahrain in my first season, picked up my first point in the Marussia on Legendary. Quali is proving tough to get in to Q2 but I'm pretty sure I'll crack it in the European stint of the season! Been playing it completely blind to bugs and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

Come on then. What am I oblivious to thus far?

Risgroo

I've just finished Bahrain in my first season, picked up my first point in the Marussia on Legendary. Quali is proving tough to get in to Q2 but I'm pretty sure I'll crack it in the European stint of the season! Been playing it completely blind to bugs and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

Come on then. What am I oblivious to thus far?

Your framerate is the only reason you got a point!

Ryne

Other than the occasional visual bug (no drying line/no darker track line), I am fine with the game.

I came across this bug when I was trying to figure out why I had no drying line. Found my times were getting faster as I lowered the graphics and disabled vsync. I went to the Codemasters forums (had an account there already) to see if anyone else came across this to find that huge thread with lots of evidence that it is happening.

Pretty disappointing, but CM has said they are looking into it. Right now online will be a test of who has the better hardware.

NHale

AHAHAHAHAH

CodeInterns has done it again.

This is actually.. good news for me? The AI isn't quite quick enough but now I can try vsyncing myself to put us all on the same line. Might also be related but I've noticed that in qualifying only the car(s) in front of me and right behind me are lapping quick laps, all other cars are slightly slower. Massa seems to always be top2 in qualifying, but he's also always the car right behind me in qualifying.

So what you are actually saying is that the game needs a game breaking bug to fix another huge problem (AI being shit). This is another proof about how amateur this developer really is. This is the 4th game in the series and the AI is still as dumb as it was in F1 2010.

The qualifying problem was always present in F1 Codemasters since F1 2010. Apparently only the cars around you actually "exist", the others are "simulated" and their Qualifying times are calculated since they are not actually doing laps on the track. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Phinor

So what you are actually saying is that the game needs a game breaking bug to fix another huge problem (AI being shit). This is another proof about how amateur this developer really is. This is the 4th game in the series and the AI is still as dumb as it was in F1 2010.

The qualifying problem was always present in F1 Codemasters since F1 2010. Apparently only the cars around you actually "exist", the others are "simulated" and their Qualifying times are calculated since they are not actually doing laps on the track. It's all smoke and mirrors.

No, what I'm saying is that I'm currently "cheating" the AI because I have high fps, and they don't. Sure, it's a bug and a major bug at that but the good thing is that I can a) fix the bug right away and b) fixing the bug makes me slower, causing the AI to be more competitive.

On the second point, that was true in early versions of the game but the past few games have had proper AI that actually drives around the track.

Lach

Welp...I was about to buy the game this weekend after the promising feedback. This bug makes me wait atleast for the steam winter sale...

So GAF, here is a question for you all:

What was the last REALLY good F1 game:

a. F1 Championship Edition (PS3)
b. Formula 1 97 (PS1)
c. Grand Prix Challenge (PS2)
d. Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4 (PC, unfortunately NOT Xbox)
e. Grand Prix Legends (PC)
f. Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2 (PC)

In my opinion it was Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2

tHoMNZ

BAHAHAAHHAHA. Someone take the license off these inept morons. Assetto Corsa engine + official license + italian passion = aww yehhh

Jibbed

b. Formula 1 97 (PS1)

I thought F1 2010 was actually a fairly decent effort.. then again, we'd had about 4 years since the last F1 game so I would've played the shit out of it regardless.

I never really rated F1:CE to be honest, and before this past gen I was exclusively-Playstation. F1 '97 and F1 Career Challenge stand out as highlights.

TCRS

Banned

b. Formula 1 97 (PS1)

I'd say d) but for Grand Prix 3 since GP3 and 4 were fairly similar.

tfw no Grand Prix 5 :/

amar212

Ubisofts 2001 (I think it was 2001, their last F1 game) F1 game was extremely decent.

But for the last my vote goes to 2011, at least for consoles. For PC I presume Geoff stays untouchable. Honorable mention of F1CE and legendary 97 (manual removing of visor-vinyl when dirty, on hardware with 2MB of RAM, die nextgen).

I recently came across my old F1 Racing Simulation (Ubi '97) disk, and had forgotten how much I played and enjoyed it.

I think all the ones you listed are really good, and I'd put these CM games in that pile as well. I'd probably have to give the nod to GP2 just because it was one of the best sims on any platform at that time, and a landmark title. There's no other game on that list that can say that. GPL didn't have an actual F1 license, so I would say it doesn't qualify. It is however the best :)

Well, I knew a gigantic bug like that would be discovered the moment I would have bought the game. I bought the game two days ago and BINGO! I'm laughing hysterically right now.

CM guys responded to that thread saying that they were looking into it very seriously. I will believe when I see it, since I was fooled for 4 years in a row now.

Daishogun

It's a real shame, because until I just read that, there haven't been any bugs so far. I already play with VSync, but I guess I'll just stay away from Online till its fixed. It's clearly a physics failure though, lots of games in the past used to have issues where the engines were designed for a particular frame rate, and doing anything other than that FPS would break it completely.

Addnan

One run a on a track I am pretty shit on. Beat it by a second. heh. With a shit S3. This was still with all graphics at max 1080, vsync off. About 150fps, time to get 300fps

f1_201311-10-201315-5vzs16.png

Addnan

What wheel rotation are you guys using? Some people are saying to stick it really low, but I didn't like it. I have it at 340, some saying to go lower than 200.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
What the hell has happened to this series. Cars feel they are skidding on every bend and the AI is way aggressive even on the easiest modes.

I can't seem to control the cars in the bends and I'm producing slow lap times compared to the previous games.

On certain sections of tracks I can get away from other races then seconds later they are behind me attempting to overtake.

Shaneus

What the hell has happened to this series. Cars feel they are skidding on every bend and the AI is way aggressive even on the easiest modes.

I can't seem to control the cars in the bends and I'm producing slow lap times compared to the previous games.

On certain sections of tracks I can get away from other races then seconds later they are behind me attempting to overtake.
Sounds like disabling v-sync would solve all your problems.

I'm not even joking.

Addnan

I'm not even joking.
He would still need a computer that can push high frame rate!

I'm finding Melbourne impossible with Lotus. Like 3 seconds slower than I can manage with RBR.

DieH@rd

Banned
Can someone give me setup for G27 wheel?

Also, I did not follow the reviews/impressions, is the game better than F1 2012?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

I'm not even joking.

I'm running on console sadly.

I just did Suzuka in the McLaren and was getting done by the likes of Marussia and Caterham. End of the race I couldn't be bothered to finish to just quit.

TJP

I got a quick go in Mansell's old Williams at Jerez and managed a gold medal after 2 laps..the handling is very strange as the car's arse always wants to swing out like a Grid game. Whilst it didn't prevent me from getting a decent time, it was a very strange feeling nonetheless.

Graphically F1 2013 on PC looks good and runs very well. I have to agree with the DSOG that the EGO engine is starting to look a little dated; cars look (and sound) really good but the environments are quite bland and I see some building and stands magically popping-up at some circuits. Completing the YDT hihlighted that CM still know how to make excellent weather effects - some very nice looking wet reflections and spray at Yabba Dabba Do Marina.

And FWIW, I was playing on a G27 wheel set to 270 degrees of rotation to match the in-car rotation. I've no idea on the rest of the settings as I didn't ask or look. F1 2013 was v-synced at 60fps too which apparently helps with the FFB.

Seanspeed

Banned
One run a on a track I am pretty shit on. Beat it by a second. heh. With a shit S3. This was still with all graphics at max 1080, vsync off. About 150fps, time to get 300fps

f1_201311-10-201315-5vzs16.png
Just gave this a run myself, too.

I was stuck on 1:10.2 for quite a while before nailing that 1:09.5 on my 24th lap(phew!). Figuring out my turn-in point for Turn 1 was key(and I'm still down on your S1 time!). As was spreading my KERS usage around better.

Addnan

Just gave this a run myself, too.

I was stuck on 1:10.2 for quite a while before nailing that 1:09.5 on my 24th lap(phew!). Figuring out my turn-in point for Turn 1 was key(and I'm still down on your S1 time!). As was spreading my KERS usage around better.

Nice, I am down to 1:09.9. Will try to beat your later

edit: here we go. There's still room for improvement. My S2 time is down on you. The curve up the hill I just can't get right. Lock up hard towards the end of that bend.

f1_201314-10-201314-58tqf7.png

Seanspeed

Banned
Nice, I am down to 1:09.9. Will try to beat your later

edit: here we go. There's still room for improvement. My S2 time is down on you. The curve up the hill I just can't get right. Lock up hard towards the end of that bend.
The double apex one? Yea, its difficult and definitely coaxes you into braking too late at the end of it.

We seem to have opposite troubles. I'm still struggling with S1 way too often. Getting that first turn just right so I can get on the gas early through Turn 2 and having good momentum down that straight.

Pushing me hard now, though. I had to spend another 20 laps to beat your time. It was done largely in S2, cuz my S1 and S3 times are actually down on what I did before and a fair bit slower than yours.

Foshy

There's literally nobody online in the PS3 version. I assume that's a bug, because I've tried on 3 different days and there was no single open lobby and I can't find anyone via quick search either.

Shaneus

So, any more bugs pop up? I know I was let down by 2012 but impressions in here aren't as bad as I was expecting. Maybe that's because barely anyone who would post in a thread like this actually bought it?

Slight chance I may pick up the "classics" edition on the cheap (as in, sub-$20AU) given the lack of extreme negativity in this thread.

TJP

So, any more bugs pop up? I know I was let down by 2012 but impressions in here aren't as bad as I was expecting. Maybe that's because barely anyone who would post in a thread like this actually bought it?

Slight chance I may pick up the "classics" edition on the cheap (as in, sub-$20AU) given the lack of extreme negativity in this thread.
F1 2013 isn't bug free BUT it is a huge improvement on the POS 2012 version. I ended up buy the standard version via the link I posted here for 13 pounds. Check the CM F1 2013 technical assistance forum for a overview of the bugs found thus far.

I've downloaded a few of the mods available from RaceDepartment which includes a fix for the players tyre wear over 25% and 50% race distances (AI don't suffer tyre wear at the same rate), a debugging menu mod, skip game into mod, steering wheel L.E.D mod, Realistic Damage Mod v3.0 and Tires Edition 2013. There are track mods, realism mods and even mods to add Senna into the game. I mainly buy the F1 games just to mod them and enjoy the results.

Shaneus

F1 2013 isn't bug free BUT it is a huge improvement on the POS 2012 version. I ended up buy the standard version via the link I posted here for 13 pounds. Check the CM F1 2013 technical assistance forum for a overview of the bugs found thus far.

I've downloaded a few of the mods available from RaceDepartment which includes a fix for the players tyre wear over 25% and 50% race distances (AI don't suffer tyre wear at the same rate), a debugging menu mod, skip game into mod, steering wheel L.E.D mod, Realistic Damage Mod v3.0 and Tires Edition 2013. There are track mods, realism mods and even mods to add Senna into the game. I mainly buy the F1 games just to mod them and enjoy the results.
Bahahaha. "You guys asked for scaled tyre wear over shorter races. You didn't say for which drivers!"

Edit: Oh man, what happened?
I was tempted to buy F1 2013 for 13 pounds then I remembered last year's effort. Instead I've spent time modding F1 2012 with season 2013 updates and community bug fixes and saving myself 13 pounds in the process. Feels good, man.
You've let the team down!

Edit #2: Wat?
O6avUdV.png

Juicy Bob

I'm on PS3 with a G27. Once I finally managed to get the wheel settings to my liking, I can say that I'm genuinely having a lot of fun with this game.

The handling's much better than 2012, the AI are quicker and more aggressive, the graphics look much sharper on the PS3 and the new lighting system is very pretty. Mid-session saves mean I can finally live out my dream of doing a 100% rookie career season with Sauber with Hulkenberg as my teammate!

It's by no means perfect and I'm getting pretty sick of having the exact same limitations on replay mode as ever, the same pre-race cinematic zoomy thing as F1 2010, the same post-race cinematics as F1 2011 and the same engineer as 2011 too. This game just feels so... familiar. But in terms of gameplay and overall experience, I really think this is easily the best overall package to date.

I'm interested to see what Codemasters can do into 2014 and beyond. New consoles plus a whole new Formula 1 makes next year the perfect opportunity to give this series a fresh new look.

TJP

Edit: Oh man, what happened?

You've let the team down!
Haha! I've seen your Steam list - you paid for CM's F1 games 3 times! I paid SFA to Codemasters for their game and I've modded it to work as it should plus added features CM hadn't. The sealer was that none of the people who hated F1 2012 and all the issues it had were complaining about F1 2013 so at 13 pounds it was a done deal. I did the same backflip for MotoGP '13 as well so I'm an amoral gamer 8)

F1 2013 is still average when compared to GSC 2013.

Shaneus

Haha! I've seen your Steam list - you paid for CM's F1 games 3 times! I paid SFA to Codemasters for their game when most paid full tote odds for plus I've modded it to work as it should and added features CM hadn't.

I did the same backflip for MotoGP '13 as well so I'm an amoral gamer 8)
One copy was gifted as a present, another I paid for myself and the last was from a site of whose origins shall remain nameless. So technically I've only given them money once.

PS. Stop stalking me :p

I remember Edge magazine rating F1CE for PS3 really low. Not because it was a bad racing game, but because it didnt live up to their expectations of what a PS3 game should look like. It's funny that 7 years on, it's still the best F1 game you can get on a current gen system. The one legit knock anyone could have against it was Liverpool's decision to go with 30 fps and motion blur, rather than a full 60 fps.
Still, the wet weather racing in that game is absolutely sensational.

Shaneus

Pretty much. I think the problem w/ 30fps+mb vs. 60fps is you have to cut a lot more out than just motion blur and a couple of other effects to hit 60. I'd hate to think what they'd have to leave out to get it running at 60.

Juicy Bob

I remember Edge magazine rating F1CE for PS3 really low. Not because it was a bad racing game, but because it didnt live up to their expectations of what a PS3 game should look like. It's funny that 7 years on, it's still the best F1 game you can get on a current gen system. The one legit knock anyone could have against it was Liverpool's decision to go with 30 fps and motion blur, rather than a full 60 fps.
Still, the wet weather racing in that game is absolutely sensational.
Really? I totally disagree with this.

F1CE was good, but all it was was 'Formula One 2006 HD'. It looked really pretty, but the handling was pretty arcadey, the AI were totally robotic and unbalanced in the wet, it had no FFB support for wheels, online was really basic and it was just so very... sterile. It completely lacked any real character at all. It had the official FOM graphics - which definitely made it feel authentic - but I did a full 100% championship on that game and comparing it to my experiences with Codemasters' series, F1CE is just dull to play in comparison.

Top Bottom