• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2016 |OT| Daniil Kvyat Simulator

Megasoum

Banned
Hey Megasoum, are all the buttons/switches on the F1 wheel assignable to actual functions within the game? Or are some of them just for show?

When you use it on PC you can use it in "Advanced Mode". When in Advanced you get all those buttons.

b416f06e_Untitled.png

I have all the bindings in game assigned to a button except for Look Forward (useless) and PTT for Multiplayer since I only play solo.

The two D-Pads are kinda meh so I decided to use the two wheels DIF IN and CHRG to control the in game menu. Left wheel is used to move up and down and the right wheel is used to move the options right and left.

It's so fucking cool to flick the right wheel with your thumb to increase your fuel mix lol.

If you're playing on console you will be stuck in "Normal Mode" which has less buttons available.

Just for show.

I've been wanting to pick that up for awhile now.

The stuff in the center is just for show but everything else is useable.

Par Score

Can you tell me where? Because I only see that I can tell them that I want to go into the pits but not specifics regarding the tyres...

Other people answered this, but it's easier than they made out. on the first page of your MFD (where you switch fuel mixes) the bottom option is the next set of tires the team should fit if you pit.

Much easier to get to this than via the fake voice command list.

farmerboy

Just for show.

I've been wanting to pick that up for awhile now.

When you use it on PC you can use it in "Advanced Mode". When in Advanced you get all those buttons.

I have all the bindings in game assigned to a button except for Look Forward (useless) and PTT for Multiplayer since I only play solo.

The two D-Pads are kinda meh so I decided to use the two wheels DIF IN and CHRG to control the in game menu. Left wheel is used to move up and down and the right wheel is used to move the options right and left.

It's so fucking cool to flick the right wheel with your thumb to increase your fuel mix lol.

If you're playing on console you will be stuck in "Normal Mode" which has less buttons available.

The stuff in the center is just for show but everything else is useable.

Thanks for the answers. 17 programmable even in normal on console is still pretty good.

You wouldn't believe it, but that wheel has me geeking out and I'll probably buy the game just to use the wheel!

Cos deep down inside I'm a 40 year old 12 year old ;-)

f0rk

I'm not amazing at racing games, but I'm going to put the difficulty up from hard. Only done 3 career races but probably shouldn't be getting podiums in a Haas.

I need to learn the radio / information controls, the prompts aren't that intuitive. Whenever I open it I don't know what I'm doing and it takes my mind off racing.

I just had a weird race in China where I did a 1 stop (25% distance). I qualified 1st but lost out to both Mercedes in the first pit stops. But then for some reason they both disappeared, Raikkonen came out in front of me and Vettel behind who overtook me on lap 13 of 14 because my tyres were nearly gone. I was clearly right to ignore my engineer's suggested strategy change.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm not amazing at racing games, but I'm going to put the difficulty up from hard. Only done 3 career races but probably shouldn't be getting podiums in a Haas.

I need to learn the radio / information controls, the prompts aren't that intuitive. Whenever I open it I don't know what I'm doing and it takes my mind off racing.

I just had a weird race in China where I did a 1 stop (25% distance). I qualified 1st but lost out to both Mercedes in the first pit stops. But then for some reason they both disappeared, Raikkonen came out in front of me and Vettel behind who overtook me on lap 13 of 14 because my tyres were nearly gone. I was clearly right to ignore my engineer's suggested strategy change.

Yeah I find Hard to easy too (I'm leading the championship in a Sauber...) but the jump to Expert is ridiculous... Suddenly I go from leading all the GPs to having a hard time doing the practice challenges.

Branson

Are you guys using assists?

Just traction control on Medium. Everything else off. I have more fun that way, with it off I just dont feel confident enough to race and fight for position. It doesnt feel like I'm losing any time, I mean I finished 4th in a Renault in Australia on hard so *shrug*

jambo

So what's the performance like on PC with this game?

I currently have a

Core i7 870
AMD 390x 8GB
8GB DDR3
SSD

running on a 30" @ 2560x1600

Would be nice to run this at full res, medium/high.

Also does this play nice with older wheels? I still have a Logitech G25 in a cupboard somewhere.

DD

Just traction control on Medium. Everything else off. I have more fun that way, with it off I just dont feel confident enough to race and fight for position. It doesnt feel like I'm losing any time, I mean I finished 4th in a Renault in Australia on hard so *shrug*

If you're using the AI on Hard, then we are using the exact same stuff, even the team. What strategy did you used in Australia? I used the conservative strategy, starting with softs and changing for mediuns, 50% of race lenght. I qualifyed in P13 (started at P14 probablybecause of some punishment) and finished the race in P8. Higher than that Renault belongs, but I'm afraid that uping the AI would make things impossible for me. :c

Branson

If you're using the AI on Hard, then we are using the exact same stuff, even the team. What strategy did you used in Australia? I used the conservative strategy, starting with softs and changing for mediuns, 50% of race lenght. I qualifyed in P13 (started at P14 probablybecause of some punishment) and finished the race in P8. Higher than that Renault belongs, but I'm afraid that uping the AI would make things impossible for me. :c

It was conservative. Setup wise the only thing I did was lower the tire pressures to minimum psi. I qualified 18th and got really lucky because Rosberg had a problem and slowed down a line of cars. Then from that time on I just picked them off one by one. On 25% race distance.

DD

It was conservative. Setup wise the only thing I did was lower the tire pressures to minimum psi. I qualified 18th and got really lucky because Rosberg had a problem and slowed down a line of cars. Then from that time on I just picked them off one by one. On 25% race distance.

Oh, yeah, I forgot that I messed with the setup of the car a bit. I changed the diferentials to the minumun (50%) and used a bit more of downforce than the default setup. I also lowered the brake pressure two bits down to avoid locking the wheels. :3

On previous games I always used 25% on race lenght, but this time I decided to try 50%. I thought that it would be too tiresome and long for my low attention span, but it was quite nice, actually! Well, maybe because I did the FPs on wednesday and friday, qualifyings on saturday and the race today (still sunday here).

Shaneus

So what's the performance like on PC with this game?

I currently have a

Core i7 870
AMD 390x 8GB
8GB DDR3
SSD

running on a 30" @ 2560x1600

Would be nice to run this at full res, medium/high.

Also does this play nice with older wheels? I still have a Logitech G25 in a cupboard somewhere.
I reckon you'll be pretty good with that. i5-2500K @ 4.9GHz, R9 280X 3GB and can run all high settings with one or two on ultra and in clear weather (haven't tested wet) it's rock solid at 60fps, with the occasional buggy slowdown like 30fps during instant replay etc.

Pit

Are you guys using assists?

Yeah, with Hard AI I easily get first place, but with Expert I almost always come in dead last. :/

No assists, playing on expert. Im anywhere from 1st - 8th on the grid in a Mclaren, so I feel like I am right where I need to be. If your dominating on hard, bump it up and put in the time to practice if you can, its worth it playing as high as you can get. Feels so real, pit strategy matters as you can't just drive 10 seconds faster than the rest.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Tyre management programs are really pain in the ass on the pad. Or I am doing something really wrong, because it is nearly impossible to get inside selected time with degradation on green.

And it is fun to yell at the engineer

Juicy Bob

Tyre management programs are really pain in the ass on the pad. Or I am doing something really wrong, because it is nearly impossible to get inside selected time with degradation on green.

And it is fun to yell at the engineer
What difficulty are you on?

I'm assuming that Legend is very hard to do on the pad.

I have only done the tyre management programme once in career in Melbourne on Expert and after I figured out the right technique to keep my slider in the purple throughout the lap (the key seems to be to use as little steering and speed as possible through the high-speed corners) I was around a second quicker than the target time per lap.

I'm going to try it on Legend in Bahrain as I've heard the AI is relatively slower than Melbourne, but I'm not expecting it to be easy at all.

Is Sochi supposed to be this easy on the tyres?

I can't remember how many stops people were doing.

I should have changed the tyre allocation

Zaru

In reality? Yes.

The first one in 2014 was notorious for how long the tyres lasted.

Even this year, nobody besides the Manors ordered more than one set of mediums. The track just doesn't have a layout that eats tyres.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
What difficulty are you on?

I'm assuming that Legend is very hard to do on the pad.

I have only done the tyre management programme once in career in Melbourne on Expert and after I figured out the right technique to keep my slider in the purple throughout the lap (the key seems to be to use as little steering and speed as possible through the high-speed corners) I was around a second quicker than the target time per lap.

Nope, struggling on Hard with Manor. S1 and S3 are quite ok, S2 is killing my tyres and my laptime. Looks like I need more practice.

DavidDesu

Does anyone else not receive their radio engineer's audio? The game sound dips (way way too low really disrupting your gameplay) and then nothing. I hear nothing.

I've made absolutely sure the engineer radio should be coming through my headphones and not the controller, and the audio levels are up, but nothing. Not heard a single radio message in the whole time I've played the game. Had to put subtitles on but it's impossible when you're in the thick of the action.

Hobohodo

Apologies if this has been asked but I've been trying for a few races now and I can't figure out how to do it. I've got the team objective of 'Complete a lap with at least two different car setups during a practice session' but I have no idea how to do this. I can press triangle and look at the set ups whilst waiting in the garage but I have no idea how k change them to furfill this objective.

I'm getting a little frustrated by the AI settings.My skill is just in between difficulties. Playing on a PS4 pad with no assists and I am too fast for Expert lapping over a second faster than the Mercedes. On Legend I can keep pace with them until my tires get worn down. The AI doesn't slow down much while I am losing 1.5 seconds every lap and have to resort to Verstappen tactics to keep them behind me.

I hope against all hope that they patch in an AI slider.

Shaneus

I can't remember how many stops people were doing.

I should have changed the tyre allocation
To add a bit more detail, at the first race in Sochi I think Rosberg got a puncture after the first or second lap. Changed to the other set of tyres (from, say, Soft to Medium) and completed the race on them, going from last place I think to first.

It was bullshit to say the least.

Ryne

Apologies if this has been asked but I've been trying for a few races now and I can't figure out how to do it. I've got the team objective of 'Complete a lap with at least two different car setups during a practice session' but I have no idea how to do this. I can press triangle and look at the set ups whilst waiting in the garage but I have no idea how k change them to furfill this objective.

It's pretty easy. Once you get to the setup window, just move the highlight to another setup (like move it one over to the right) then just exit the menu. That's how you change setups (the default ones anyway)

Hobohodo

It's pretty easy. Once you get to the setup window, just move the highlight to another setup (like move it one over to the right) then just exit the menu. That's how you change setups (the default ones anyway)

Thanks, finally managed to complete the objective.

DarkJC

Just picked this game up a couple of days ago and dusted off my G25. This game is awesome, the career mode is everything I've wanted in an F1 game for years. I'm rusty though, driving with no assists and the AI on hard is destroying me in 50% distance races, mostly due to my own inconsistencies.

I'm running on High settings at 1920x1200 with a GTX 960, has anyone else with a 960 pushed it higher than that?

For those curious about the G25, it works great with the game, my only gripes are that the buttons don't show up with wheel symbols like they do on the consoles, it acts like you have an Xbox controller plugged in so it will show A, B, X, Y, and then buttons labelled 1 2 3 4 etc. and you have to figure out what they are on the wheel to navigate the various menus.

It also makes me wish I had more buttons and a dpad on the wheel to more easily navigate the MFD mid race, as it is I pretty much have to be on a long straight to do anything in that menu since I have to take my hand off the wheel to use it with the G25 :(

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hm, I have tweaked throttle settings and things are a bit better, still struggling a bit, but I was able to finish at least two purple laps on Medium compound. I think that something is not working as it should in my gamepad, looking at the triggers, because it seems that left has some issues with sensitivity (also appearing in other games)

pots555

Shangai under the rain. I really need to improve. I really respect you guys playing with no assists at all.

legbone

Man, I love catalunya, but I just cannot purple the tire test for some reason. I keep fucking up and having one of my laps not count for missing the lap time. And it's always the first. It seems they have me .3 behind at the start of the test. guess i don't have enough speed going into the straight. Guess I need to keep practicing.

Watevaman

Man, I love catalunya, but I just cannot purple the tire test for some reason. I keep fucking up and having one of my laps not count for missing the lap time. And it's always the first. It seems they have me .3 behind at the start of the test. guess i don't have enough speed going into the straight. Guess I need to keep practicing.

I thought you're not supposed to be in the purple (or red)? I'm pretty sure the intro video for tire tests said if you're in the purple you're being too conservative.

DD

I thought you're not supposed to be in the purple (or red)? I'm pretty sure the intro video for tire tests said if you're in the purple you're being too conservative.

No, purple is the best result possible, and gives you more points than green.

Par Score

Remember that nothing counts before the line, so Rich mix, full throttle, slide it out of the corner and burn those rears out if you have to, you only need to start driving like a granny* once you actually start the lap.

No offence to grandmas everywhere, just quoting Max.

Fox Mulder

Purple is the best and rewards more points, but is also harder to get while passing the lap time too.

legbone

I found it easier to obtain once I lowered the tire pressures.

thanks for this as well. gonna give it another shot later if i have enough time left in the third session after i do the qualifying test. ran out of time in the second session. thanks for the tips guys.

Fox Mulder

I managed my tires too well at Hungary and had a fuckload of fuel left. Couldnt hang with other cars at the end presumably due to extra weight even though my tires were good. Oops.

LilJoka

Playing the Spanish GP now. Need to hit 1.27.000 for tyre management! I can get within 1.5-2seconds of that driving as best I can on expert difficulty.
Hard was getting too easy winning races in the McLaren.
The game is really good.

Sickbean

Playing the Spanish GP now. Need to hit 1.27.000 for tyre management! I can get within 1.5-2seconds of that driving as best I can on expert difficulty.
Hard was getting too easy winning races in the McLaren.
The game is really good.

It really is brilliant.

Not sure what's been in the water at Codemasters HQ this year but I want some.

Pimpbaa

I'm addicted to this game. Next year is going to be interesting with the wider cars (dreading Monaco). So glad to see Codemasters back on track (with this game and Dirt Rally) and making good racing games again.

Nyx

I'm addicted to this game. Next year is going to be interesting with the wider cars (dreading Monaco). So glad to see Codemasters back on track (with this game and Dirt Rally) and making good racing games again.

I can't even finish Monaco now already.

Haven't gotten higher than 22nd in qualifying too, the track's just not for me I guess.

Game is amazing though, really enjoying the career mode and when I have time I drive 50% GPs in 1 session.

Normally I wouldn't really enjoy driving 30 laps around the same track, but as this is F1 it just feels right. After a race I have sweaty hands and feel mentally tired for a bit because of the intensity and the need to be focused all the time.

Tons of fun.

LilJoka

I managed to do the tyre management at Spain with Hard tyres and rich engine mode. Target was a 1.28.xxx and I just beat it with purple on 3 laps and failed on one lap :D

I may reduce downforce to get a better race setup for overtaking as I'm sure I won't qualify well.

I've even felt the 15 laps are not enough in race for the first time.

DD

Do any of you guys know about this error? I'm having it since day one and sometimes it simply makes me unable to play the game.

e2uqs8c.png

Randdalf

Any advice on a good wheel for PC? I don't want to spend too much, but I don't want to buy something that's a bit rubbish either.

Top Bottom