• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Legends screenshots showing Lionhead's new Global Illumination system for UE4

This and TitanFall are all I wanted on XB1, and I have TF on PC. Shame I will never get to play this

Eh I would wait on some gameplay before you think your really missing out on something here. The weak part of this series has never been the visuals.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I've probably missed a few that have done this, but I can't really recall seeing radiosity so prominent in the light engine since Source had it. It makes the lighting look much more believable, so I'm glad to see it being used.

SwiftDeath, I would love to answer all of your questions. They're good and reasonable ones.

But I can't yet. Soon?

I patiently await :)

I have quite loved the Fables to present even if the later ones did less for me

Thanks for taking the time to address community concerns though. Greatly appreciated

Also I ask a lot of questions lol

I've probably missed a few that have done this, but I can't really recall seeing radiosity so prominent in the light engine since Source had it. It makes the lighting look much more believable, so I'm glad to see it being used.

Dirt: Showdown did global illumination. I remember because enabling it used to make the game run like shit on Nvidia cards,

I'm sure there are others that have done it.

KKRT00

Examples from the article are fantastic. Really good solution, i wonder what is the cost.

Reflections quality seems quite decent
roughness.jpg

Emissiveness
red.jpg

EmissiveInjection.jpg

Indirect Shadows look great too
SkyInjection.jpg

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I feel like people who say this isn't impressive just don't understand what is actually going on here and instead are just looking at the art style. Their GI solution is looking extremely good in these screens.

UrbanRats

Animated PNG:

ibqeLuDjU5KHQv.png

Bounce light is too exaggerated, but otherwise it looks great.
Probably to show off the effect clearly, though.

Also, what the hell is Fable Legend? Is it a proper entry, or another gimmick spin off like that one with Kinect?

EBE

Also, what the hell is Fable Legend? Is it a proper entry, or another gimmick spin off like that one with Kinect?

i defend Fable the Journey every chance i get. its a great game. separating Fable TLC from my nostalgia for it, its probably my favorite Fable game. great characters and a better continuation of the series' story than 3.

UrbanRats

i defend Fable the Journey every chance i get. its a great game. separating Fable TLC from my nostalgia for it, its probably my favorite Fable game. great characters and a better continuation of the series' story than 3.

To be honest, i hardly gave a shit about Fable for the story.

I enjoyed Fable 2 most of all, even though it had tons of issues.

Okay, I've lost patience. What black magic are you people referring to when you say Animated PNG? Nothing is animating, and I've tried it in 2 different browsers. Are you guys just trolling me? :p

golem

Really? I kind of want to try it now.

EBE

Really? I kind of want to try it now.

Kinect is not perfect. not even going to pretend it is. but i found the game to be very fun (if short) and very well written with good performances. i think its on rails structure and limited cast really helped the narrative stay focused and effective.

if you have an old kinect laying around (or can borrow one off someone) i think its worth finding the game used.

golem

Kinect is not perfect. not even going to pretend it is. but i found the game to be very fun (if short) and very well written with good performances. i think its on rails structure and limited cast really helped the narrative stay focused and effective.

if you have an old kinect laying around (or can borrow one off someone) i think its worth finding the game used.

I was just thinking of packing away my old kinect haha. I'll give it a shot, can always use some more gamerscore..

thenexus6

I've kinda lost faith in the Fable games, used to be good fun and went downhill. Would be interested to see how this shapes up.

Also its beautiful. Because its on the rails, the art style shines. Some of those landscapes :O

Oh okay, thanks! Already had chrome, but I guess I needed that add on file.

Yep, pretty nice look when it's all dynamic. The contrast between the two versions really showed it off well. At any rate, look forward to seeing how the game itself turns out. Wasn't pleased with the last 2 fable games, and I didn't try the Kinect one. My favorite of the pack is still the first, which I still believe to be a far superior game to the others.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like people who say this isn't impressive just don't understand what is actually going on here and instead are just looking at the art style. Their GI solution is looking extremely good in these screens.
This is the big news to me. If there were only some way to make this generally available, or maybe some very motivated amateurs following a general technical approach, that might solve one of the few big things UE4 is lacking for independent developer use.

It's apparently a full fable, open world and all, but a different kind of fable that is much more geared towards 4 player co-op gaming, or just multi-player in general. It isn't an MMO style game, but apparently it will be supported like one, or something to that effect. You can also play the entire Fable Legends experience single-player if you wish.

You can even choose to be the villain apparently, placing enemies strategically, telling them how to ambush human players, what abilities to use, who to attack, that kinda thing. You even get to choose what types of enemies ambush players. The focus seems to be moving in a unit with a combo of AI controlled characters or human controlled characters, or all of a specific type. I guess you pick a squad to move out with or something each time you go on a mission. I'm sure there could be instances where you can choose to go solo, but I guess to maximize your effectiveness, it may be better to move as a team.

UrbanRats

It's apparently a full fable, open world and all, but a different kind of fable that is much more geared towards 4 player co-op gaming, or just multi-player in general. It isn't an MMO style game, but apparently it will be supported like one, or something to that effect. You can also play the entire Fable Legends experience single-player if you wish.

You can even choose to be the villain apparently, placing enemies strategically, telling them how to ambush human players, what abilities to use, who to attack, that kinda thing. You even get to choose what types of enemies ambush players. The focus seems to be moving in a unit with a combo of AI controlled characters or human controlled characters, or all of a specific type. I guess you pick a squad to move out with or something each time you go on a mission. I'm sure there could be instances where you can choose to go solo, but I guess to maximize your effectiveness, it may be better to move as a team.
Hopefully it'll show up at this E3.

Blizzard

Banned
Wait, is unreal4 open source now? Gamechanger.
I thought someone else said it was just a Lionhead-specific engine change? They don't have to release changes back to Epic.

Does anyone have any confirmation links about this being merged into the UE4 baseline?

UE4 is open-source in the sense that you can pay a subscription and modify the source, but I don't think it's GPL style in that you have to release mods back.

Coral Griffon

Lionhead, Game Director
It's definitely being merged into mainbranch.

Its' good for Lionhead when they adopt our tech like this - we don't have to reintegrate it when the next drop comes from Epic.

DieH@rd

Banned
Geometry looks little sparse and surface color reflections are too strong, but its nice they are pushing the engine.

The more nextgen-only games we get, the better.

Coral Griffon

Lionhead, Game Director

This is a pretty good summary of high level points we've talked about when the game was announced last August. It's not 100% percent accurate to what we're building, but that's not your fault.

I do need to caveat one thing you said here - Fable Legends is not a full "open world" as you describe it. The experience will be more like the first Fable in which you take on a quest and go on an adventure.

More information to show and say soon.

Doffen

The concept for Fable Legends is very interesting. And it looks like the visuals will also be very good.

But I had really hoped for a true Fable 4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I thought someone else said it was just a Lionhead-specific engine change? They don't have to release changes back to Epic.

Does anyone have any confirmation links about this being merged into the UE4 baseline?

UE4 is open-source in the sense that you can pay a subscription and modify the source, but I don't think it's GPL style in that you have to release mods back.
I think Epic announced that they officially integrated this tech into the engine. Phil Spencer said it was Black Tusk originally but it turns out it was Lionhead's solution.

KKRT00

That's what I was thinking. UE4 didn't have a cheaper GI solution?

It didnt have dynamic GI at all. It has prebake system [Lightmass] and they had very expensive, but totally awesome SVOGI that they scraped, because performance bracket was too high.

Coral Griffon

Lionhead, Game Director
This is fairly normal, including what happened on last generation. UE4 will be a work in progress throughout its life, probably. Doesn't mean its not a great toolset for us and others.

Another way to think of it: there are X Unreal developers at epic, but there are more Unreal developers if you add them up from the various studios. Makes sense that some of their best work gets widespread adoption.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It didnt have dynamic GI at all. It has prebake system [Lightmass] and they had very expensive, but totally awesome SVOGI that they scraped, because performance bracket was too high.
When I read about the system resources needed for just the SVOGI tech demos I honestly couldn't believe they even considered it as a primary effect of the engine. Wasn't it something like half of an entire 680's resources just for 30fps SVOGI in a controlled demo?

strata8

That's what I was thinking. UE4 didn't have a cheaper GI solution?

One of the main draws for CryEngine (in Crytek's eyes) is that everything is done in realtime, with very little or no prebaked lighting. That's why they've had to pioneer techniques like SSAO, LPV GI, and (more recently) variable penumbra shadows.

Unreal Engine on the other hand hasn't had this pressure, with a lot of lighting prebaked like KKRT said.

This is a pretty good summary of high level points we've talked about when the game was announced last August. It's not 100% percent accurate to what we're building, but that's not your fault.

I do need to caveat one thing you said here - Fable Legends is not a full "open world" as you describe it. The experience will be more like the first Fable in which you take on a quest and go on an adventure.

More information to show and say soon.

One thing I'd like to know is can you still play as an evil and morally corrupt "hero"? Or can you only be evil if you play the role of the villain? I usually play as a virtuous character, but still, it would be nice to know.

KKRT00

When I read about the system resources needed for just the SVOGI tech demos I honestly couldn't believe they even considered it as a primary effect of the engine. Wasn't it something like half of an entire 680's resources just for 30fps SVOGI in a controlled demo?

Probably less and in unoptimized state with highest precision they had. The whole demo run in 30hz in 1080p on 680.

Zaptruder

Banned
Ok, this is pretty amazing for VR.

UE4, dynamic GI, full OR support... should become the default engine for VR especially with the cheaper than unity rates.

As long as they get good input support in there.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Probably less and in unoptimized state with highest precision they had. The whole demo run in 30hz in 1080p on 680.
Still a pretty brutal requirement. It sucks that it got taken out all the way but it would basically require multiple lighting models to scale across systems so it's understandable.

Top Bottom