• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Legends screenshots showing Lionhead's new Global Illumination system for UE4

Kevin

Are there any details released for this game? Will it have a full story/campaign like previous Fable games or is this just going to be an online hack-n-slash game with 4-players?

JaggedSac

Man, I love the Fable universe. Can't wait to get back in. Not sure how I feel about the new concept. My main concern is that I now, do not have a character I created and molded, instead we get some prefabs and level them up.

blakep267

Man, I love the Fable universe. Can't wait to get back in. Not sure how I feel about the new concept. My main concern is that I now, do not have a character I created and molded, instead we get some prefabs and level them up.
I thought we were going to be able to completely customize out character. Armor etc

JaggedSac

I thought we were going to be able to completely customize out character. Armor etc
I think you pick from a set of heroes. I'm sure you get items and such to equip. For a MP centered game, I would think character customization would have been key to their design. Although, that works for Diablo, so maybe I am being a bit nitpicky here.

This is a pretty good summary of high level points we've talked about when the game was announced last August. It's not 100% percent accurate to what we're building, but that's not your fault.

I do need to caveat one thing you said here - Fable Legends is not a full "open world" as you describe it. The experience will be more like the first Fable in which you take on a quest and go on an adventure.

More information to show and say soon.

Now this excites me as I'm more of a fan of smaller adventures rather than completely open experiences.

Coral Griffon

Lionhead, Game Director
Are there any details released for this game? Will it have a full story/campaign like previous Fable games or is this just going to be an online hack-n-slash game with 4-players?

It's Fable - there has to be a story. Multiple stories. Story arcs. Side stories.

Again, more details to come soon.

Prine

Banned
Don't know why, but I'm more excited for the this Fable now Peter is not involved. I've always liked him, I love his passion for this industry but he lacks execution, my biggest gripe was how he spoke so highly about the menu system in Fable 3,i assumed it was a nice gimmick, but when I got my hands on the game it seemed to me it was the only thing that was new. Everything else was half arsed, seems like more resources went to the menu system then the game!

Fable world, art, charm has always been the highlight for ne, I LOVE this fantasy version of old England, I can listen to Yorkshire accent all day.

Grisby

i defend Fable the Journey every chance i get. its a great game. separating Fable TLC from my nostalgia for it, its probably my favorite Fable game. great characters and a better continuation of the series' story than 3.
My bro. I owned a total of 3 Kinect games and Fable was the best one.

I was actually kind of surprised with what they did to the lore and it definitely doesn't feel like a spin off game. I mean, jesus, they (Fable the Journey ending spoiler)
killed off Theresa
and all that. The pacing felt tight and just taking a stroll through Albion was pretty neat (it's the best Albion has ever looked too, game was gorgeous).

I kind of wish they would remaster it for the X1 with better controls. I'd double dip.

EBE

My bro. I owned a total of 3 Kinect games and Fable was the best one.

I was actually kind of surprised with what they did to the lore and it definitely doesn't feel like a spin off game. I mean, jesus, they (Fable the Journey ending spoiler)
killed off Theresa
and all that. The pacing felt tight and just taking a stroll through Albion was pretty neat (it's the best Albion has ever looked too, game was gorgeous).

I kind of wish they would remaster it for the X1 with better controls. I'd double dip.

ooh yes. thatd be great. $30 digital download and id be all over that. ive been wanting to play it again for a while now but i dont own an original kinect any more. would give people who might have skipped it a chance to play it. but its not going to happen.

It's apparently a full fable, open world and all, but a different kind of fable that is much more geared towards 4 player co-op gaming, or just multi-player in general. It isn't an MMO style game, but apparently it will be supported like one, or something to that effect. You can also play the entire Fable Legends experience single-player if you wish.

You can even choose to be the villain apparently, placing enemies strategically, telling them how to ambush human players, what abilities to use, who to attack, that kinda thing. You even get to choose what types of enemies ambush players. The focus seems to be moving in a unit with a combo of AI controlled characters or human controlled characters, or all of a specific type. I guess you pick a squad to move out with or something each time you go on a mission. I'm sure there could be instances where you can choose to go solo, but I guess to maximize your effectiveness, it may be better to move as a team.
Are you sure about the open world part? I recall viewing an interview, where they said they are going back to Fable 1 world structure with more linear paths between areas, so the dungeon master can better set up traps and whatnot.

I'm not sure if this has been posted

"Introducing: The Ogre"

http://www.lionhead.com/blog/2014/may/23/introducing-the-ogre/

imagegen.ashx

imagegen.ashx

Filaipus

Banned
Ogres are born as twins. When they reach puberty these twins will wrestle to the death, the loser ending up as a head on a stick (commonly called a Noggin) that the surviving ogre uses as a weapon. For reasons that are still to be fully understood, these heads remain alive and capable of conversation, well, as capable as an ogre that is

Ok, I really want to play this game, love the art direction haha

Yes, that's a first.

Nice, I certainly missed fighting more fantasy creatures in Fable 3. I hope they make marrying someone more meaningful also. I never married in Fable 3 because the NPC's where boring has hell and I didn't like the handholding stuff. I like it more In Fable 2 when you just whizzled 4 times into a group of people and a random girl wants you to put a ring on it.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
Global illumination is the best thing to happen to lighting even if youre simulating the look of it.

Its a large reason why nintendos wii-u games look more next gen than most games even on xb1 or ps4

komplanen

Mario Kart 8 turds being thrown in the general direction of any graphics discussion on GAF is my most hated fad of 2014. I can't wait for the game to come out so the luigi hats here have something to do other than embarrass themselves here.

Hope to see this game at E3 :)

LTWheels

I wonder how the combat will play. Being co-operative in nature, I can see it being class based, rather than making a character that can do everything.

Maybe something a bit Dragon's Dogma-ish in how the game controls?

Biggzy

I wonder how the combat will play. Being co-operative in nature, I can see it being class based, rather than making a character that can do everything.

Maybe something a bit Dragon's Dogma-ish in how the game controls?

It is going to be class based, and I will bet that the roles will interplay with each other.

Biggzy

id not seen this. looking very nice. excited to see more.

will this be at e3 in a few weeks?

They have already shown the game off to the press last year, so I will say that it is guaranteed to show up at E3.

If that's the case then I expect it to control a bit more complicated than the other fable games. Good sign for me.

Yes. I think they will go away from the one button combat for this one.

So its like Dungeon's and Dragons?

A sort of make your own adventure thing where one player is the 'dungeon master' and everyone else has to get through the waves of enemies and storm a keep/castle or defeat a boss?

Sounds cool. Hope I can play it solely against AI as I rarely have the time for multiplayer these days.

Love that they got emissive objects casting indirect lighting, and directional occlusion caused by the sky. Seems a really nice tech.

And it's great that they are just giving it back to UE4 so all future games can benefit from it.

Top Bottom