• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face off DmC X1 PS4. Where for art thou AF!

No, it's not. Why would devs intentionally leave it out if the Xbone has AF?

People have weird argumentations when it comes to trying to make people shut up about the AF issues. I don't see how it is cleared up until a developer that actually worked on a game with this issue comments on it with some degree of detail.

Instro

Two (EDIT: Make that Three) Capcom published games in a row that are better on the weaker hardware.
lol
Hopefully they patch the AF, because holy shit does it make the textures look terrible on the PS4 version.
qmewOwf.png

The filtering makes the textures look worse than the last gen versions.

This is a really good example, like super blatant....something something lazy devs.

Three

Wow, lack of AF on Capcom games is definitely a trend now. It doesn't even have better performance either so something is definitely up. Could it be a royalty issue? Some kind of patent on a method of AF?

This just doesn't look right.

It looks like hot garbage

The AF issue is too prevalent to just be on the developers. If one platform has it, and the more powerful one doesn't , something is clearly happening. Sony sounds like they're just trying to pass the buck

UberTag

I'm going to need to start considering an Xbox One purchase if AF becomes more of a thing with third parties and I need to start looking elsewhere from the PS4 for the defacto superior version of these games. Can only keep my blinders up for so long.

onQ123

AF is pretty important on sharp angles. Without it you get overly blurry textures for not good reason, so relax on the conspiracies, worse would be an article on how AF doesn't matter, would you be in favor of that instead?

The loss in detail along the hard angles as seen below is pretty significant, to say it's not or call out DF as if they were purposely exaggerating is pretty disingenuous.

Lkq2tcp.png

2lvXab5.png

I'm not going to run out an buy and XO for this, but every head to head leaves me wondering, wtf? why is AF affected when it's not really that taxing on modern GPUs?

I never said it wasn't important. I said I'm waiting for the article about how important it is.

It looks like hot garbage

The AF issue is too prevalent to just be on the developers. If one platform has it, and the more powerful one doesn't , something is clearly happening. Sony sounds like they're just trying to pass the buck

But it doesn't happen with every game so it clearly can be done. Must take extra effort though.

But it doesn't happen with every game so it clearly can be done. Must take extra effort though.

That's the interesting part. It would almost be easier if no game on PS4 had AF* so there'd be some consistency. The fact that it's possible but there's still these problem games is the frustrating thing

*Obviously not. Give me AF every time please

HardRojo

Do we have clear examples of PS4 games where AF has been properly implemented? It's a real mystery why so many titles seem to suffer from this problem on PS4. I'd like to know the reason since it's the only current gen console I own, though I'll definitely try to pick up an XBO during Black Friday later this year.

Journey

Banned

That doesn't answer why this is becoming a trend with PS4, are you suggesting the SDK's are performing exactly as XB1 SDK, but devs are purposely sabotaging the PS4 version? It could be neglect, something they forget to check, maybe PS4 has a default value that needs to be adjusted, and even that would be a 50/50 blame, the dev for not doing proper QA, and the dev kit for selecting a lower value by default, either way an answer would be nice instead of putting the blame solely on devs, especially when the same devs didn't have an issue on the XB1 version.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Capcom's just been doing a terrible job on Playstation 4. But hey -- I guess this might be the first retail Xbone game I buy as a result.

geordiemp

God they cant even hold 60 FPS either never mind the AF.

Its always the same suspects, looks like they just chucked the PC version on Ps4 and did not bother with anything else....

Will not support this, no buy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is the only game where poor texture filtering has been shockingly obvious to me on PS4. It plays beautifully, huge improvement over the original release, but particularly in the dream sequences it can be distracting.

mocoworm

It could be neglect, something they forget to check, maybe PS4 has a default value that needs to be adjusted, and even that would be a 50/50 blame, the dev for not doing proper QA, and the dev kit for selecting a lower value by default, either way an answer would be nice instead of putting the blame solely on devs, especially when the same devs didn't have an issue on the XB1 version.

That cannot possibly be an option. A dev / artist does not spend years crafting a game , playing it, designing every pixel and just ... overlook / neglect something like this.

I design every day in my job, and even though it's nothing on the level of these guys, trust me ... I make sure that my stuff is pixel perfect before it is signed off.

Yeah, this is only like the 8th or so title to not have it. If I'm not mistaken most of the games without AF on PS4 are cross gen, or ports of previous generation titles, yes? Someone posted a list the other day, but I don't remember the thread.

Do we have clear examples of PS4 games where AF has been properly implemented? It's a real mystery why so many titles seem to suffer from this problem on PS4. I'd like to know the reason since it's the only current gen console I own, though I'll definitely try to pick up an XBO during Black Friday later this year.

Most PS4 games do. That is why it is so puzzling when something like this or Strider doesn't. The most demanding games don't have this issue.

-griffy-

Banned
No, it's not. Why would devs intentionally leave it out if the Xbone has AF?

I don't know, that's the question isn't it? It's hard to lay blame when you know the system itself is in fact capable of the effect (as evidenced by the majority of games that have identical AF between both platforms, and the games that have very good AF on the system), and we haven't heard from any devs with the problem games. It's even hard to say they are intentionally leaving it out. Why would they leave it out in DMC of all games, a last gen up-res using old assets, with identical resolution on both platforms? There isn't even a resolution or effects difference to half explain the omission on PS4.

If anyone wants to see the issue discussed endlessly, already touching on every conceivable point that is going to be brought up in this thread, with no real conclusion as of yet, then look at the 20 page thread about it.

Noshino

Its a Face off.

Too many people don't seem to realize they do different sorts of articles.

It's an old game.

isn't that a joke about DF talking about the gameplay to say something good about one version over the other

At least the graphics on the Xbox One version of MGSVGZ are pretty much identical to PS4 and the frame rate is perfect.

what

they aren't "pretty much identical" at all

People have weird argumentations when it comes to trying to make people shut up about the AF issues. I don't see how it is cleared up until a developer that actually worked on a game with this issue comments on it with some degree of detail.

Yeah, the thing though is that these threads seem rather....weird.

Sony already gave an answer, but most people don't want to believe it. And instead of questioning the developers (which I don't think has been done yet? odd huh?) they keep questioning Sony as if they want them to claim its their fault.

ekim

Isn't AF "just" getting additional texture samples from the VRAM and thus costing bandwidth? If so - I don't see a reason here for it being a HW problem. It's weird to only see this being an issue with 3rd party games. Maybe it's not as straightforward enabling high AF as it seems?

It's bizarre because technical masterpieces like "The Order: 1886" have incredible AF, yet a cross-gen port looks to have none.

It is some weird fault in the SDK. The SDK must make it difficult to implement and must have Trilinear Filtering in place by defautlt.

Majanew

Banned
Damn. Seriously, PS4's continued struggle with AF needs to be addressed. Some of those comparison screens shows the PS4 version actually looking worse than last gen version thanks to the terrible filtering.

Yeah, this is only like the 8th or so title to not have it. If I'm not mistaken most of the games without AF on PS4 are cross gen, or ports of previous generation titles, yes? Someone posted a list the other day, but I don't remember the thread.

Yeah the big games have not had this issue. Which makes me think it is budget/development issue that smaller games are not addressing.

It's bizarre because technical masterpieces like "The Order: 1886" have incredible AF, yet a cross-gen port looks to have none.

It is some weird fault in the SDK. The SDK must make it difficult to implement and must have Trilinear Filtering in place by defautlt.

Let's no go overboard here guys. But yeah, its inconsistency in application, especially among releases such as this, is confusing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Honestly, it seems more apparent in this game than just about any other. It's right in line with nearly every other UE3 PS4 game I've tried including Strider, Thief, Murdered Soul Suspect, DmC, and Contrast. It might be an issue with Guilty Gear Xrd but it wasn't bothersome enough to stand out. Also, Outlast is another random exception - AF isn't great on XO or PS4 but it is identical and NOT simple trilinear filtering like the other UE3 titles.

Still, I really do think DmC highlights the issue more than any other version as it features lots of long, flat surfaces presented at steep angles.

I'm surprised that they didn't mention the updated cutscenes in the article, though, as I do think that's a great feature.

Because it's a issue that's been popping up lately. You don't think the article is coming?
The only reason an article would pop up is if answers about the issue on PS4 are given. There's not going to be something claiming that AF is super important since it's a well known fact. Why would anyone write an article about that? I'd say it's more important than screen resolution, really. I'd rather they just dropped mipmaps altogether - it would be shimmery but I'd rather have that than blurred out textures.

Stormus

Is this something they can go back and patch into DmC: DE? I have both X1 and PS4, but I prefer to get games on PS4. Guess I'll just have to go X1 on this game.

vg260

Man, I hope this issue doesn't happen in PS4 Ultra SFIV, and we get blurry floors when it should be the definitive version.

Top Bottom