• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face off DmC X1 PS4. Where for art thou AF!

Fbh

This just in.

First Screenshots of Deep Down running on all new PS4 exclusive capcom engine have surfaced:
i5AVSnJ.jpg

Honestly, it seems more apparent in this game than just about any other. It's right in line with nearly every other UE3 PS4 game I've tried including Strider, Thief, Murdered Soul Suspect, DmC, and Contrast. It might be an issue with Guilty Gear Xrd but it wasn't bothersome enough to stand out. Also, Outlast is another random exception - AF isn't great on XO or PS4 but it is identical and NOT simple trilinear filtering like the other UE3 titles.

Still, I really do think DmC highlights the issue more than any other version as it features lots of long, flat surfaces presented at steep angles.

I'm surprised that they didn't mention the updated cutscenes in the article, though, as I do think that's a great feature.

I thought Stryder used the engine KI uses?

THE MORE YOU KNOW
This just in.

First Screenshots of Deep Down running on all new PS4 exclusive capcom engine have surfaced:
i5AVSnJ.jpg

This is great

-griffy-

Banned
Isn't AF "just" getting additional texture samples from the VRAM and thus costing bandwidth? If so - I don't see a reason here for it being a HW problem. It's weird to only see this being an issue with 3rd party games. Maybe it's not as straightforward enabling high AF as it seems?

The issue is when the Xbox One inexplicably has better AF then the PS4 version of a game, so it's only conceivably an issue with 3rd party games.

In a case like this though, you can point to the PS3 version as having better AF even. But you compare it to something like The Last of Us, a similar last-gen port, which clearly has better AF on PS4 than on PS3, while also updating to 1080p and 60fps, with increased character models and effects on top of that.
u8rwdQx.png

Ditto for Tomb Raider:DE. DMC just doesn't make sense. It has to be an oversight or something similar, because it doesn't make sense.

Sony just shot themselves in the foot. I don’t know how much the rest of you know about graphics technology (I’m an expert), but AF and AA are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in the PC space you can become successful by adjusting AF out of nowhere. If you screw over a playstation gamer, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is to force AF on PS4 games. What this means is gamers after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase DMC for either PS4 nor will they purchase any sony third party games due to the lack of AF compared to Xbox One. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Cerny has alienated an entire market with this move. Sony, publicly apologize and force AF on for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.
i like you

My take away from the article:

Good!
interesting, i hope they shed some light on it. (even though the ICE team member said it shouldnt be a problem)

Two (EDIT: Make that Three) Capcom published games in a row that are better on the weaker hardware.
lol
Hopefully they patch the AF, because holy shit does it make the textures look terrible on the PS4 version.
qmewOwf.png

The filtering makes the textures look worse than the last gen versions.

lol, forgot about REmake.
and holy shit, yeah, im just gonna wait for a price drop, i skipped this game last gen and survived so if i decide to get it maybe on a PSN sale

Sleeping Dogs DE is 16$ on a sale of the week right now

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, I hope this issue doesn't happen in PS4 Ultra SFIV, and we get blurry floors when it should be the definitive version.
SFIV is not using Unreal Engine 3, which is where the problem seems to appear the most. SFV is using UE4, though, and I don't expect it to be an issue there.

geordiemp

Honestly, it seems more apparent in this game than just about any other. It's right in line with nearly every other UE3 PS4 game I've tried including Strider, Thief, Murdered Soul Suspect, DmC, and Contrast. It might be an issue with Guilty Gear Xrd but it wasn't bothersome enough to stand out. Also, Outlast is another random exception - AF isn't great on XO or PS4 but it is identical and NOT simple trilinear filtering like the other UE3 titles.

Still, I really do think DmC highlights the issue more than any other version as it features lots of long, flat surfaces presented at steep angles.

I'm surprised that they didn't mention the updated cutscenes in the article, though, as I do think that's a great feature.

The only reason an article would pop up is if answers about the issue on PS4 are given. There's not going to be something claiming that AF is super important since it's a well known fact. Why would anyone write an article about that? I'd say it's more important than screen resolution, really. I'd rather they just dropped mipmaps altogether - it would be shimmery but I'd rather have that than blurred out textures.

The way you worded that it reads like it could be an issue with UE3 on Ps4, and engine issue ?

dark10x

I thought Stryder used the engine KI uses?

THE MORE YOU KNOW
You know, I thought so too, but there were some suggestions around pointing to it being Unreal Engine and it seemed to share some characteristics. Now I'm wondering if my original assumption was actually right.

So, I'm going to install it again right now and find out for sure. I'll let you know after it's downloaded what it's using.

The way you worded that it reads like it could be an issue with UE3 on Ps4, and engine issue ?
Well, yes, there is a direct correlation between complete lack of AF and UE3 on the PS4. Even games with low quality AF on PS4 at least use like 2x or 4x where as these UE3 games are all using trilinear filtering. No AF at all.

If it was a budget/development issue on the dev's side, the Xbox One would be having similar issues, but it's not

It could be that a few devs are focusing on the Xbox One version of a game and then putting less effort into the PS4 version because it's easier to get a game running well on the platform, especially when the Xbox One's architecture is so similar. That could explain why something like this wouldn't make its way in, less optimization time and effort resulting in some quick fixes that effect the quality of the PS4 version.
Of course there is nothing to support this, just a random thought.

misterxmedia was right all along.

I've just punched my PS4 on the TV stand so hard, it looks like it has no AF in real life because it's in so many pieces.

Well, yes, there is a direct correlation between complete lack of AF and UE3 on the PS4. Even games with low quality AF on PS4 at least use like 2x or 4x where as these UE3 games are all using trilinear filtering. No AF at all.

It probably takes about four hours to stream the AF in then. That's probably why we aren't seeing it; we're too impatient.

It could be that a few devs are focusing on the Xbox One version of a game and then putting less effort into the PS4 version because it's easier to get a game running well on the platform, especially when the Xbox One's architecture is so similar. That could explain why something like this wouldn't make its way in, less optimization time and effort resulting in some quick fixes that effect the quality of the PS4 version.
Of course there is nothing to support this, just a random thought.

Well, it's a theory alright. You would have to see which of the AF-free games have had 'content updates' after release, which demonstrates extra effort on the developer's to fix problems.

I bet even the Ghostbuster's HD Edition carpet would look better on the PS3 version.

You know, I thought so too, but there were some suggestions around pointing to it being Unreal Engine and it seemed to share some characteristics. Now I'm wondering if my original assumption was actually right.

So, I'm going to install it again right now and find out for sure. I'll let you know after it's downloaded what it's using.

Dyling Light and Evolve aren't on UE3 and those have worse AF on PS4 than Xbox One. It could absolutely be an engine problem, but it's definitely not UE3 exclusive.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I really hope they get that sorted out for Arkham Knight.

vg260

SFIV is not using Unreal Engine 3, which is where the problem seems to appear the most. SFV is using UE4, though, and I don't expect it to be an issue there.

There are high quality 1080p videos on Gamersyde, and I could be crazy but the ground didn't look as sharp in the Charlie video compared to the first one.

dark10x

Dyling Light and Evolve aren't on UE3 and those have worse AF on PS4 than Xbox One.
I know, I never said it was ONLY UE3 games with AF issues, rather, it was only UE3 games that didn't use *ANY* AF. I believe there is at least a low level of texture filtering (like 2x AF) in those games.

I really hope they get that sorted out for Arkham Knight.
Me too

Check the .ini's for the characteristic UE3 files!
Guys,
the more important question is...

Does the OP know that "wherefore" does not mean "where?"

I am waiting OP!

I know, I never said it was ONLY UE3 games with AF issues, rather, it was only UE3 games that didn't use *ANY* AF. I believe there is at least a low level of texture filtering (like 2x AF) in those games.

I think there was, but the fact that the PS4 versions still had worse AF than the Xbox One version shows that there is a similar problem with those games too. It might be something about the way the engines were programed not playing well with the PS4's slightly custom architecture. If that is the case hopefully the devs get around to fixing it.

-griffy-

Banned
I think this picture should be shown to people that argue their is a problem with the hardware.

But don't make the mistake that this means there's no problem altogether, because there clearly is an issue with specific games. It's just important to frame the issue correctly.

Majanew

Banned
I think this picture should be shown to people that argue their is a problem with the hardware.

Well there's something going on when the weaker console with slower RAM has beaten you several times at AF. Is XB1's eSRAM giving it the edge for AF in the games that are in XB1's favor? PS4 can do AF, as shown, so what the hell is going on?

I don't think many people are arguing it's a hardware thing anymore, that doesn't make any sense. Yeah, while AF is POSSIBLE and USED on the PS4, it's also noticeably absent from titles where it really shouldn't be. That's where the confusion is coming from

Ramza

Banned
At this point, shouldn't devs be going to Sony and saying "Hey, this shit ain't working right on your console!"

I guess there's no evidence that they're not doing that, but some acknowledgement from the devs and / or Sony would be nice.

c0de

This would be at least something but then again this is not the technical explanation we want :-(

Maybe the supercharged architecture of the PS4 is too fast for AF and the frame is being rendered without it because it can't keep up?

Gbraga

Why are people saying stuff like "plenty of games have the same AF in both platforms", as it means anything.

Yeah, most games have poor AF in both consoles, yay? Problem solved?

There's clearly an issue. 16xAF on consoles is definitely not the norm, and, if neither platform has any problems running AF, the performance cost should never not be worth it.

The Order even has variable filtering, why would they go through the trouble of making it variable if the PS4 can just run 16xAF no problems?

There is an issue, the fact that Xenoverse has shit AF on every version, even on PC (you can force it through drivers though) is not really a good thing.

Even if it's something as simple as "Xbone has it on by default, PS4 doesn't", then instead of bugging every developer on the planet to change it, we should ask Sony to change what the default value is. And also ask Microsoft the reason for the default value being low.

The PS4 is clearly capable of mediocre AF, no issues there, case closed.

Stop being defensive over this, either you care about the issue or you don't, stop dismissing the issue.

yeah, I don't get this at all. It's a very important visual feature, one I've always assumed to be lightweight because it's always been lightweight. In every PC game I've ever played where it's an option. Seriously, why the fuck is it a continued issue with PS4? Such a stupid little thing.

Are you one of the DF team? You seem very defensive

is onQ a DF competitor? Because herpdy herpity hurr

onQ123

Maybe it has something to do with the compressing & decompressing hardware in the GPUs.

Could be that with the Xbox One it's being handled with the Move Engines & devs don't feel the need to do more work on the PS4 port than with the Xbox One port.

dark10x

The Order even has variable filtering, why would they go through the trouble of making it variable if the PS4 can just run 16xAF no problems?
In the case of a game like The Order I can see actual performance issues popping up - but a last-gen port of a game with low requirements? That's where it gets weird.

dan2026

They have lost a sale with me over this.

I was on the fence, but I am not paying for blurrier textures than last gen.

Gbraga

Guys is xbone actually stronger than ps4???

That's just because the PS4 is only fighting with 30% of its power.

In the case of a game like The Order I can see actual performance issues popping up - but a last-gen port of a game with low requirements? That's where it gets weird.

See, but that's the thing, I might be completely wrong here (you would know if I am, so please correct me), but I don't think anyone looking for stable 30fps on PC would even think about lowering AF for better performance.

If there are performance issues with high values of AF on a console, then it's already an issue with said console, be it hardware or software.

I think the more productive question is "why is AF so bad on consoles, especially PS4?" and not "why are there games where the Xbone has better AF than the PS4?"

HardRojo

Why do you think that?

Why don't you stop replying to the people suggesting there's a conspiracy behind every DF article? They won't stop and you are just helping them derail every thread about DF by asking them more questions. I do believe myself that there is some bias, even if minimal, but I try to put that aside (I think I only mentioned it once) and try to discuss within the relevant topic for all of us who come to these threads. People will still try to find what they want to see in the article, your replying to them and creating more posts around that conspiracy subject isn't helping move the discussion forward.

d9b

Banned

The PS4 is clearly capable of mediocre AF, no issues there, case closed.

Stop being defensive over this, either you care about the issue or you don't, stop dismissing the issue.
Tell us how you really feel... Don't hold back the rage, lol!

But, seriously I hope we get some answers from devs and/or Sony.

Top Bottom