• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: Fallout 4 - Digital Foundry

0bc26421c6c6df97b27a32a728446112.png

Fallout 4: Is It Next-Gen Or Not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCI-I7LADdM

Frame Rate Tests

Fallout 4 PS4 vs Xbox One Frame-Rate Stress Tests

Fallout 4 PS4 vs Xbox One Frame-Rate Test

Graphical Comparisons And Technical Analysis

Fallout 4 Console vs PC Graphics Comparison

Fallout 4 PS4 vs Xbox One Graphics Comparison

Fallout 4 HDD's Improving Performance On Consoles

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...d-drives-boost-xbox-one-fallout-4-performance

What Does It Take To Run Fallout 4 At 1080p60?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-fallout-4-4023

Read The Full Article For More Info

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-fallout-4-face-off

...but to summarise:

"Fallout 4 is a game at odds with itself; an arresting open-world adventure with a staggering number of moving parts, but also one where its engine trembles under its demands. Having picked apart all three versions at length, it's fair to say PlayStation 4 and Xbox One each have unshakeable performance issues that can't be ignored. However, in visual terms they fall very close to one another - and at its top settings, PC adds some interesting touches over the console experience.

Let's rattle off the basics first: the 1920x1080 checkbox is readily ticked for both consoles, and pixel-counting gives us the precise same return. It's a state of affairs that perhaps points to Xbox One as the focus for Bethesda at the start of Fallout 4's development, and visuals are almost entirely matched with PS4. We have an accomplished implementation of temporal anti-aliasing on each console too, while texture map quality, shadows and even the quality of specular mapping in rain are a direct match...

Overall, while visuals on all three formats are closely matched at a micro level, PC's broader draw distances, higher shadow quality and more refined god rays set it apart, while the ability to run at custom resolutions and higher frame-rates clearly improves the overall experience. As for PS4 and Xbox One, parity is achieved at just about every visual setting; from the native 1080p image, to texture quality, effects and shadows. Even LOD settings are identical, save for one long-distance shot of Lexington - a one-off example of Xbox One resolving more geometric detail. We cast a wide net out to find any other contrasts, but in every other area, each console is even.

The frame-rate situation on console is disappointing though. Scenarios such as an empty corridor producing a locked 20fps are just one example among many of a title that could really use some thorough optimisation. Fallout 4's stutters and hiccups only add to the trouble here, especially on Xbox One when switching weapons mid-fight. PS4 has its own struggles though, with effects-heavy battles taxing the hardware to a greater degree, despite holding a better frame-rate while traveling the world at large. And of course, our tests can't feasibly factor in the state of play with hundreds of hours on the clock - though we hope that lessons have been learned from Skyrim here.

The game's stability also bears mention. We've suffered numerous crashes on each format; three times on PS4, and twice on PC and Xbox One. Thankfully, the game auto-saves regularly, though in one case our latest save file appeared corrupt on return. Elsewhere, we've been caught several times in an infinite loop of loading screens, having died a split-second after auto-saving. It's the unpredictability in the glitches that adds to the issue - there are variables that will create frustrating situations unique to each player. Technically, it's a disappointing result, but only because there's a high-quality game underneath the technical issues..."

TL:DR

• Both consoles have graphical parity, and with PC they have graphical parity at ultra settings (such as the ambient occlusion method, alpha effects, motion blur, water shaders, screen-space reflections, texture quality and filtering), except the god rays, draw distances, shadows and resolution/frame rate, which can all be higher on PC.
  • Frame rate sees drops down to the 20's on both consoles w/microstutters, PS4 drops when heavy alpha effects are seen (e.g. shooting) whereas X1 sees more drops in general open world traversal.
  • Both consoles run a native 1080p display with a good implementation of texture filtering (~8x AF?) and a good AA solution (they use TAA, temporal anti-aliasing).
  • Poor shadow draw distances however with a cascade effect exacerbating shadow pop-in, and pixelation can creep around volumetric light shafts producing a stair-stepping effects, and are rendered at 480x270.
  • Low resolution textures, coupled with low level implementation of ambient occlusion, basic tessellation of some objects and low shadow draw distances means the game can look rough in places.

Screenshots Comparing The Graphics

6723fd4adf3010e13c61b78701ee5bb5.png

954550679709fc98c1d01dba4ad951cc.png

7a964990e03152fce6c531f984fe3a12.png

4a2c7f203f3c9031d4ababc0e6eac514.png

0f8ee33770987a071783ce881f5de313.png

920dc36a41f5c39cb7e514574e72bbda.png

8027042096aeb2e7cc3e78e7ca250a81.png

20b9969a4b0b710fced3ba5d937759ab.png

A Quick GIF Highlighting The Difference Between Console And PC [Thanks Li1quid]*

4gE8HLL.gif

*I just thought I'd add some perspective to the GIF above, courtesy of Tom from Digital Foundry:

From a distance like that, obviously, a lot is cut away on PS4 - but it's all there on the ground level. That's just the most extreme case of LODs at play.

Personal Thoughts

Of course Bethesda's Fallout 4 is bigger and better than ever, and a tangible upgrade over its predecessor is certainly evident. Although some questionable changes to the various systems can prove to be controversial, one cannot deny the sheer scope, scale and atmosphere of the world. However, since this is strictly a technical thread, let's keep the topic about that.

Despite looking better than Fallout 3 (which one should naturally expect from last-gen game compared to a current-gen game), the graphics and technical performance leaves a lot to be desired. To simply put it, Fallout 4 feels graphically unimpressive in 2015. This is apparent when you notably have other open worlds that are just as open, yet more graphically impressive than Fallout 4 (Witcher 3 for example). But these issues are bigger than just the graphical fidelity; it's a problem that is at the core of Bethesda's engine. You have animations that still have the same 'Bethesda jank' to them, and in 2015, this is simply not acceptable. You can also clearly see in the videos above that the Gamebyro/Creation engine just does not cut it anymore, doing the hardware at hand a great disservice. The engine on consoles and varying PC's is actually struggling in many areas of the game where there isn't even any strain/demand on the hardware at all. And then you have the engine unable to cope with the hard drives of the consoles thus causing noticeable stuttering, which has to be fixed with a SSD hard drive until it's patched.

Whether Bethesda will continue using this engine for the next Elder Scrolls game remains to be seen, but I can guarantee one thing: the reception will be even less amicable if the same problems and issues plague the next game (even if Fallout 4's issues/bugs/glitches have been reduced compared to Bethesda's last game).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Disappointing frame rates on consoles.

How is it possible that the Xbox One and PS4 perform the same when the PS4 is a lot more powerful. It sucks.
I'm not going to support a dev that does this.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
CPU limited?

On the PS4 I see effects-related frame drops in virtually every fire fight, for instance, the splatter effects after shooting somebody with a shotgun. The problems are not all CPU-related.

Elios83

CPU limited?

Nope, unoptimized and bugged code the PS4 is brute forcing.
Make no mistake, the PS4 version got the least development time.
Bethesda's priorities are PC->XB1->PS4 in that order.

We'll see with patches but I doubt they'll care. They'll fix bugs shared across all the versions.

warheat

Summary

Overall, while visuals on all three formats are closely matched at a micro level, PC's broader draw distances, higher shadow quality and more refined god rays set it apart, while the ability to run at custom resolutions and higher frame-rates clearly improves the overall experience. As for PS4 and Xbox One, parity is achieved at just about every visual setting; from the native 1080p image, to texture quality, effects and shadows. Even LOD settings are identical, save for one long-distance shot of Lexington - a one-off example of Xbox One resolving more geometric detail. We cast a wide net out to find any other contrasts, but in every other area, each console is even.

The frame-rate situation on console is disappointing though. Scenarios such as an empty corridor producing a locked 20fps are just one example among many of a title that could really use some thorough optimisation. Fallout 4's stutters and hiccups only add to the trouble here, especially on Xbox One when switching weapons mid-fight. PS4 has its own struggles though, with effects-heavy battles taxing the hardware to a greater degree, despite holding a better frame-rate while traveling the world at large. And of course, our tests can't feasibly factor in the state of play with hundreds of hours on the clock - though we hope that lessons have been learned from Skyrim here.

The game's stability also bears mention. We've suffered numerous crashes on each format; three times on PS4, and twice on PC and Xbox One. Thankfully, the game auto-saves regularly, though in one case our latest save file appeared corrupt on return. Elsewhere, we've been caught several times in an infinite loop of loading screens, having died a split-second after auto-saving. It's the unpredictability in the glitches that adds to the issue - there are variables that will create frustrating situations unique to each player. Technically, it's a disappointing result, but only because there's a high-quality game underneath the technical issues.

In review, Bethesda's ability in world-building is in strong evidence across Fallout 4. The team has put together a ruined cityscape that bubbles with creative flair; a world that's well worth the time and energy to explore, and at a pace of your own choosing. However, a certain tolerance for technical issues is needed to fully enjoy it, especially on console. If you're at all sensitive to frame-rate drops, the PC version comes especially recommended. If only for the performance boost, it's simply the version that lets you get to the game's genuine strengths with the fewest distractions.

I'm playing on PC and it runs great even on my laptop. Ultra textures / high everything else minus god rays and getting mostly 1080p/60 fps. No crashes 25 hours in. (Asus g751 with 970m laptop BTW)

I agree. You could be using that time to play a console game by a different developer. One who uses an engine which is fit for purpose, for example.
Bugs and frame rate aside, I'm personally loving this game :)

Also what other dev makes games that are similar to fallout and elderscrolls? And dint say witcher because.. its not.

ShamePain

Banned
From what I remember hearing Bethesda's programmers aren't very comfortable with any API other than DirectX, so maybe developing for ps4 was hard for them. idk, sounds bullshit of course.

RowdyReverb

Some of those stutters and dropped frames on the consoles described really sound more like bugs than performance problems. Hopefully the performance gets better with patches (or mods?)

On Demand

Banned
Disappointing frame rates on consoles.

How is it possible that the Xbox One and PS4 perform the same when the PS4 is a lot more powerful. It sucks.
I'm not going to support a dev that does this.

People really thought Bethesda was going to give PS4 a graphical advantage? Come on.

They probably developed it on XB1 first then ported to PS4. PS4 version is literally the XB1 version. XB1 being at 1080p meant PS4 will be getting its sacrifices too.

Mifec

Like it did with Batman? ;)

Seriously, PC is obviously much more powerful but this is a disastrous port on consoles, it's hard to draw any conclusions and comparisons other than Bethesda messed up.

runs better on PC now even though it's still shit :3

But yeah basically like it does with about 98% games.

Gurish

From what I remember hearing Bethesda's programmers aren't very comfortable with any API other than DirectX, so maybe developing for ps4 was hard for them. idk, sounds bullshit of course.

Well maybe they are like CDP that seemed to have some trouble with PS4's API as well, but at least they fixed most of the problem, would you bet on Bethesda doing the same? yea right.

ironcreed

Banned
It's a fun game, but it's got some sho nuff jank. As is the case in all Bethesda games, but the cracks are really starting to show more for a new title in 2015. While I am having a good time, it still feels like a step back in ways and does not even come off as grand as Skyrim did for me back in 2011.

Orayn

I've got a friend doing work in a primarily DirectX environment on PC and XB1, but he said porting his game to PS4 was a pretty painless process and they achieved the framerate they were aiming for pretty quickly.

Other sources have generally described Sony's API as being pretty straightforward and easy to work with, so I don't really buy the idea that it's a major limiting factor.

Gurish

runs better on PC now even though it's still shit :3

But yeah basically like it does with about 98% games.

The bottom line is that this is a bad port on consoles more than which platform is more powerful, it shouldn't run like this and it's all on Bethesda.

Saty

Sometimes i don't get the comments made by the authors. You don't need to see the PC and PS4 versions side by side to notice the glaring lack of shadows on consoles.

Trago

Sometimes i don't get the comments made by the authors. You don't need to see the PC and PS4 versions side by side to notice the glaring lack of shadows on consoles.

But it's tech analysis between the different versions. Why wouldn't they?

tuxfool

Banned
I've got a friend doing work in a primarily DirectX environment on PC and XB1, but he said porting his game to PS4 was a pretty painless process and they achieved the framerate they were aiming for pretty quickly.

Other sources have generally described Sony's API as being pretty straightforward and easy to work with, so I don't really buy the idea that it's a major limiting factor.

It would depend greatly if he is traditionally a console developer. It should be simple to port between DirectX and GNMX, but not so to GNM. That would be akin to porting between DX11 and DX12 (or any other low level api).

gogojira

It's a lot more than just shadows, but that's what draws the eye initially. There are so many ground level things missing, but up close they've got to be in, right? That has to just be a draw distance thing.

Top Bottom