• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: The Evil Within

bombshell

PS4 vs. Xbox One comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-7_a4bqgKU

PS4 vs. Xbox One framerate analysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3gtSKsRtVo

The Evil Within is a good game, possibly even a great one, but what's clear after a few days' testing is that it suffers from technical issues which prevent it reaching its full potential. Despite being built using id Tech 5, an engine conceived to deliver 60fps on all formats, the game has genuine issues even hitting 30fps - and that's factoring in the mammoth 'cinematic' borders that vacuum up almost 30 per cent of the screen real estate.

As we observed in our performance analysis, the game essentially operates at a native rendering resolution of 1920x768 on PS4 and 1600x640 on Xbox One, which is really just 1080p vs 900p with those large black bars inserted. The dynamic resolution scaling seen in Rage and Wolfenstein: The New Order is gone, so we're looking at a fixed framebuffer on both consoles backed up with what appears to be standard FXAA to tackle aliasing.

The basic anti-aliasing technique does a reasonable job eliminating edge aliasing, but on Xbox One the combination of an upscaled image with FXAA and heavy post-processing results in a rather blurry experience. A soft-focus depth-of-field effect is also utilised throughout, which also cleans up distant pixel shimmering. Its intensity varies scene to scene, but the effect creates an interesting juxtaposition between high-contrast foreground objects and soft-focus background elements. Combined with the narrow field of view, the game does indeed deliver on its cinematic aspirations with some beautifully framed sequences but, unfortunately, this comes at the expense of playability.

Then there's the issue with the Xbox One version we mentioned previously, which persists as of this writing. The game's renderer seems to be out of sync with the background simulation, producing a persistent stutter even when the frame-rate holds steady at 30fps. Anyone familiar with the frame-skipping issues present in a number of Bethesda-produced Gamebryo titles, such as Fallout 3 and New Vegas, will know exactly how frustrating this persist tic can be.

Looking at the PS4 and Xbox One versions side by side, the results are actually rather interesting. Ignoring the sync issues on Xbox One, the minimum frame-rate is often a touch higher than PS4. The moments that this occurs, however, seem to be tied to texture decoding where the PS4 appears to struggle a bit more. Once these hiccups are passed, performance between the two becomes closer. After playing through half the game on both platforms, we have to give the nod to the PS4 version when it comes to performance. Texture streaming can cause greater dips on PS4 but the overall performance is generally smoother, while the Xbox One version is stuck with a constant stutter that impacts any sense of fluidity.

Does The Evil Within manage to rise above its performance issues and live up to its potential? Well, yes, it's a solid and interesting game. Of the two console builds, PS4 gets the nod - the higher resolution is welcome and the game simulation is more closely linked to the renderer, meaning less stutter than the Xbox One version. However, while improved over the Microsoft console, the PS4 game still feels highly under-optimised. Indeed, as things stand, with the possible exception of Thief, The Evil Within probably has more performance issues than any other title we've tested on the new wave of consoles - and that's a real shame, as there's a remarkably good game here let down by its surrounding technology.

More at link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-evil-within-face-off

Raptor

Seriously or the engine is pure crap or they can't code for shit.

Either was is embarassing for everyone imvolved.

The massive black bars are really awful. Combined with the pulled in camera it's really hard to see anything. There's also a ton of jaggies and it doesnt feel like it's running smoothly. There's a lot of texture pop in and it just doesn't look very good even for a cross gen effort.
It's the better version, but it isn't very optimized.

I actually bought this game on Tuesday and returned it on Wednesday.

To me, this is a game that badly needs a stable framerate due to the high tension. When aiming or running, you want to be in absolute control of your character because you're already in a tense state of mind, thus deaths due to the framerate just made me not want to continue.

It seems like a great game, but the framerate breaks the experience.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Still hoping for a patch on PS4. It's my GOTY so far nonetheless.
Same here, despite people slagging off the graphics I find the game to very stunning with its particle effects and DOF,especially in the hospital sections.
It's what I'd want Silent Hill to look like.
I feel sorry for those that can't see past it's technical flaws, it truely if the best horror type game I've played since REmake and Silent Hill 2.

Nibel

I had a good experience with the PC version with short load times and a good amount of customizability, but agree that the title needed some more time in the oven.

kuYuri

They don't take a look at the last gen versions of the game and their performance?

I'm really curious about those versions.

Soi-Fong

Where's PC? Seriously, this game looks good at higher resolutions.

3200 x 1800 resolution with no drops @ 30 fps.. Love it!

It is the studios first game too, something to keep in mind. While the technical issues are, well, issues its still a superb first title by a promising studio.

Chobel

They mention PC, it's just not in the OP
That being the case, those looking for something closer to the best possible experience should really opt for the PC version, provided you have the requisite hardware to at least match and exceed PS4 performance - a modern Core i3 processor matched with something like a Radeon R9 270 or a GeForce GTX 660 should get you to 1080p30 with a consistent performance level. Liberating the game from its overbearing borders and narrow field of view improves the experience, plus there's the opportunity to scale beyond 1080p for those who own higher-resolution displays

SeanTSC

Haven't had any texture streaming/pop issues on the PS4, but I don't run with a stock HDD. Might be helping with the framerate dips from that too somehow since things have felt pretty smooth to me.

My fucking god though, I abhor the black bars. What a terrible choice. At least how much I love Survival Horror makes up for it. Easily the best in the genre since RE4, if not better.

slop101

Banned
I don't know what they were thinking with that wide aspect ration (except, maybe, a lazy way to improve it's performance), because not only does it add nothing to the game (no, it's not "cinematic"), it drastically takes away from the game. Such a stupid decision.

SeanTSC

I don't know what they were thinking with that wide aspect ration (except, maybe, a lazy way to improve it's performance), because not only does it add nothing to the game (no, it's not "cinematic"), it drastically takes away from the game. Such a stupid decision.

Yeah, black bars do not make something cinematic in any way. All it does is make a huge portion of my 60" TV useless. It's dumb in movies (imo everything should be shot in 16:9) and it's even dumber in games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
IDTECH5, piece of crap engine + japanese devs who dont know how to code for said engine = disaster :(

GavinUK86

I never knew that letterbox fix without screwing your fov existed yet. Just tried it out and it's sooo much better. I guess this DF article was good for something at least.

Shin-Ra

Motion blur's pretty nice on PS4.

iU8c9eCtxJMgM.png

ibcn6h8GKdbDFy.png

iZ9SGijQd9WA1.png

theDeeDubs

I like the bars personally. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for being for artistic reasons. I wouldn't like it on every game, but it's a nice change of pace when it's on a few here and there. I feel the same way with movies. I care about the artistic vision of the director.

slop101

Banned
I like the bars personally. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for being for artistic reasons. I wouldn't like it on every game, but it's a nice change of pace when it's on a few here and there. I feel the same way with movies. I care about the artistic vision of the director.
That's all well and good for a movie where the director and cinematographer work together, putting a lot of thought and detail into each shot within the frame of the image in order to properly tell their story. But that all goes out the window and is rendered meaningless in a videogame where the player controls the camera because he needs to be able to see what's going on in order to play the damn game properly.

Prime directive: don't try to make games as if they're movies.

Jobbs

Banned
That's all well and good for a movie where the director and cinematographer work together, putting a lot of thought and detail into each shot within the frame of the image in order to properly tell their story. But that all goes out the window and is rendered meaningless in a videogame where the player controls the camera because he needs to be able to see what's going on in order to play the damn game properly.

If the ONLY reason for letterboxes was performance/technical, we'd see many more games with letterboxes.

Sometimes designers make decisions just because that's how they want it just because. I wouldn't rule it out.

This game is such a technical mess. A shame too, since it seems like a fantastic game from what I played. Just marred by framerate issues that really affect the experience.

Durante

Their conclusion about PC isn't particularly unusual or lurid (unlike the recent 60 FPS headline), so no one cares.

It's just the best.

HeelPower

Seriously or the engine is pure crap or they can't code for shit.

Either was is embarassing for everyone imvolved.

No dude...

The game is great.While the performance could be better, it doesn't really affect the experience imo.

Plus there could be other reasons.

The game was developed and coded for 5 different platforms, don't you think there might be budget and time limitations ?

A shit ton of work went into this...

SFenton

Sad that they didn't appear to use id Tech 5 to the fullest on any platform. Wolfenstein really showed that that engine can do wonderful things on every system.

theDeeDubs

And I totally disagree with you. If it is the director's intent for you to only have so much viewable space while using your camera, then I'm ok with that. It does add a cinematic (borderline pretentious I will admit) flare that heightens the tension of the game. And like I said I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here. Just hearing people go on and on about it reminds me of people complaining about black bars when watching widescreen movies on square TVs.

Top Bottom