• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: The Evil Within

Any comments about PC motionblur or anything should be taken with massive salt. Framerate changes the way motionblur is rendered. You cannot just take a framestill from some area and compare them if they are running at different framerates. It would not be the first time that DF has made this mistake.

That is unless DF made sure the PC, xb1 and PS4 version were all running at the exact same framerate in that area and were rendering the exact same things.

with the evil within being slated for it's black bars,do you guys think the makers of the order will reconsider their decision to use them now ?

SeanTSC

No dude...

The game is great.While the performance could be better, it doesn't really affect the experience imo.

Plus there could be other reasons.

The game was developed and coded for 5 different platforms, don't you think there might be budget and time limitations ?

A shit ton of work went into this...

Bad FPS absolutely effect's a person's gameplay experience. So does having 30% of their screen completely unused and poor FOVs and camera angles making the gameplay difficult to observe and control.

Artistic "Vision" and poor Engine Performance getting in the way of gameplay is a very bad thing.

The game is a great game and people should play it if they love horror, but it absolutely has short comings that distract from it immensely and it COULD be so much better.

Grief.exe

Any comments about PC motionblur or anything should be taken with massive salt. Framerate changes the way motionblur is rendered. You cannot just take a framestill from some area and compare them if they are running at different framerates. It would not be the first time that DF has made this mistake.

That is unless DF made sure the PC, xb1 and PS4 version were all running at the exact same framerate in that area and were rendering the exact same things.

I was going to ask about why the motion blur and dof were of lower quality on PC.

with the evil within being slated for it's black bars,do you guys think the makers of the order will reconsider their decision to use them now ?

The game's coming on the next 4 months. I say no.

Also, while I think The Evil Within uses the black bars because truly Mikami just felt like it, I think The Order uses them to improve the game's performance. The game seems to be quite the looker and I doubt it would run at full 1080p and a steady 30 fps considering those graphics.

Nzyme32

Unlikely. Seems with the consoles at least, is that performance is the main gripe. Assuming they have that figured out and the game is all pretty and sparkly, I doubt the complaints would be too prominent even though black bars will be a point of contention.

Also, while I think The Evil Within uses the black bars because truly Mikami just felt like it, I think The Order uses them to improve the game's performance. The game seems to be quite the looker and I doubt it would run at full 1080p and a steady 30 fps considering those graphics.
thanks mate.hoping it will be worth the wait,feels like an eternity since it was announced,lol

They don't take a look at the last gen versions of the game and their performance?

I'm really curious about those versions.

Yea that pisses me off too because if the game has a more stable performance on 360 I'd honestly prefer to buy that version over the PS4 version with better resolution. And it wouldn't surprise me considering this game feels like it was designed for last gen and then ported to current gen, which could explain the less than stellar optimization for PS4 and ONE. DF should at least have one paragraph talking about the older systems. I've heard the PS3 version aint that great but the PS3 versions of multi-platform games were never great. I NEED to know about 360!

Grief.exe

Looking at Benchmarks, you can get console-level performance on a 560 ti. That is an extremely mid-range graphics card that is nearly 5 years old.

Evil Within's port is so inconsistent. The game actually seems to run well on the low end, unlocking the FPS beyond 30 brings out some of its faults.

The evidence clearly points to the black bars being there for performance reasons. Bethesda's PR successfully marketed the reduced aspect ratio as a feature.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

No way. Even the concept art and tech presentation power points for The Order are in 21:9. The game has clearly been planned for it since the beginning. It seems to be putting more thought into the FoV than Evil Within as well. I like the approach but you need to be very careful in order to pull it off.

It's a bit of an ugly game at the best of times, albeit with an awesome art style. This wouldn't exactly be a big win for either console, even if the differences were more drastic.

slop101

Banned
And I totally disagree with you. If it is the director's intent for you to only have so much viewable space while using your camera, then I'm ok with that. It does add a cinematic (borderline pretentious I will admit) flare that heightens the tension of the game. And like I said I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here. Just hearing people go on and on about it reminds me of people complaining about black bars when watching widescreen movies on square TVs.
But all they're really doing is just limiting your view, as you can still swing the camera up and down and still see the space around you. And it's this constant manipulating of the camera and limited view that kills the immersion of the game. And it's this immersion that is of the utmost importance to videogames, while not nearly as important in movies, since they are more of a passive experience.

Hahs

I thought the purpose of letter-boxing was for aspect ratio adjustments or subtitles. Using them for aesthetics is like leaving the metronome click in a recording...John Mellencamp style...its pointless, just like my analogy.

Squishy3

I think a performance patch is possible (maybe just wishful thinking) but I think the chances of the black bars being altered is pretty much nil.
The black bars are here to stay, certain HUD elements don't adapt to the lack of black bars when you remove them on the PC. The sniper rifle zoom, for example. You can also see the location of the health bar doesn't change either. The blood splatter effect when you get hit also won't go to where the black bars normally would be. I doubt they're going to go through and change that stuff even for the PC version.

i7Gfo4kJ72k8K.png

I feel like I'm the only one that really likes the black bars. It does give the game a more cinematic, movie like feel (yes, I know a lot of Gaffers hate those words).

It's actually increased my interest in the Order.

Squishy3

I feel like I'm the only one that really likes the black bars. It does give the game a more cinematic, movie like feel (yes, I know a lot of Gaffers hate those words).

The black bars themselves aren't terrible, it's the extremely low FOV combined with them that is awful.. Can't see shit, captain. Black bars with the FOV tweak on PC that got released is amazing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I flat out don't notice them and I'd rather have a native pixel scale than upscaling. I watch a lot of movies though so I'm used to filtering them out. Like I mentioned earlier, it can definitely work for games but you need to be very careful about camera and character placement as well as your FoV.

BTW for people wondering about this game, the FoV increases quite a bit once you hit chapter 6.

Gator86

The black bars themselves aren't terrible, it's the extremely low FOV combined with them that is awful.. Can't see shit, captain. Black bars with the FOV tweak on PC that got released is amazing.

Super jealous of you PC guys/gals/gender-queer individuals out there. Don't have a gaming PC right now and the camera on PS4 spends the entire time crammed up Sebastian's ass. I started crouching less just because it makes it impossible to fucking see anything.

I hope this game gets a follow-up made in a competent fashion.

Shin-Ra

What am I seeing here?
The PS4 looks better then PC, that can't be right.
Something else I noticed in the PS4/XO comparison video is the smoke from the falling platform quickly gets sucked down with it on PS4 but appears and disappears at the same height as Sebastian on Xbone.

ixrXdmDhtOLcd.gif

As a knock-on effect it may be intersecting the DoF and motion blur longer in that instance.

Also black noticebly isn't quite black on the XO side, full RGB capture with Xbone set to output limited? Does it crush blacks if set to full RGB output?

Shin-Ra

Here's another funny little quirk.

in5O2KMKrBbwc.gif

On PS4 the lens flare from the lantern is very late disappearing when it's hidden by the metal post, and both versions are slow making the flare reappear when the lantern's back in full view.

MaLDo

Motion blur's pretty nice on PS4.

iU8c9eCtxJMgM.png

ibcn6h8GKdbDFy.png

iZ9SGijQd9WA1.png

Something else I noticed in the PS4/XO comparison video is the smoke from the falling platform quickly gets sucked down with it on PS4 but appears and disappears at the same height as Sebastian on Xbone.

ixrXdmDhtOLcd.gif

As a knock-on effect it may be intersecting the DoF and motion blur longer in that instance.

Also black noticebly isn't quite black on the XO side, full RGB capture with Xbone set to output limited? Does it crush blacks if set to full RGB output?

Looking at the gif, that repeated geometry is also on ps4 for a few frames. Maybe the first comparisson doesn't catch the exact same frame in all versions.

Here's another funny little quirk.

in5O2KMKrBbwc.gif

On PS4 the lens flare from the lantern is very late disappearing when it's hidden by the metal post, and both versions are slow making the flare reappear when the lantern's back in full view.

PS4 doesn't have near DOF effect neither dirty lens effect.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I made those shots and captured them from the PC version while locked at 30 fps. Captured several scenes at both 30 and 60 fps but used 30 fps footage for making screenshots in order to side step potential rendering bugs.

That specific area renders at a completely stable 30
Fps on both consoles and the pc was locked down as well. That's why I used that shot.

It was set to full.

Originally Posted by The perfect Dark

What the hell is DF smoking? There was no stutter in my Xbox one version
It's very subtle but quite present. I noticed it immediately but I suspect most people won't.

DF should at least have one paragraph talking about the older systems. I've heard the PS3 version aint that great but the PS3 versions of multi-platform games were never great. I NEED to know about 360!
Wish I could have tested those. Didn't have access to them.

Are they not comparing the last-gen versions? I want to see how this game looks on PS3 with its tiny RAM.

Is the performance of this game really that bad? I might wait for a price drop to grab it then.(XB1 version)

It's not a technical masterpiece but still perfectly playable.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I wonder if they played Contrast or Daylight. Those games somehow ran like shit even though they're pretty weak graphically. If The Evil Within runs worse, then wow.

omonimo

Banned
I really hope they will release a patch first or later. It's a pity can't play it at steady fps. I want this game but I refuse to play it with this fps.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The real headscratcher is why did they get rid of the dynamic resolution?
Some frames being lower resolution is a hell of a lot less jarring than frame drops.

I don't mind the black bars, but in combination with that FOV it's really bad. Either it got better as the game went on or I got used to it, but now being in Chapter 6 I haven't been bothered too much.

knerl

How's the control on PS4? The PC-version has the framerate to it's advantage, but the gamepad support is shit. Whenever you try to aim diagonally with a 360-gamepad the sight flies off in straight x- or y-angles as if you were trying to paint a two dimensional stair case with it. I really want to play this with a gamepad and if the PS4-version doesn't have this problem I might settle with a worse framerate and shitty FOV.

Green Yoshi

There are countless PS4/XBO comparisions, but what about 360 and PS3? I heard some harsh statements about the PS3-version ("PS2-graphics!"), but rather positive comments about the 360-version.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There are countless PS4/XBO comparisions, but what about 360 and PS3? I heard some harsh statements about the PS3-version ("PS2-graphics!"), but rather positive comments about the 360-version.
Would have loved to look at those but it wasn't an option, unfortunately.

Orgen

Cosigned, I'm still waiting for the X360 analysis and reviews

omonimo

Banned

360 version could run better but hardly the look should be better 'to change' the perception of the graphic. Maybe 360 owners had more realistic expectations for the graphic.

I'm not really noticing the framerate issues on PS4. It was very noticable in the very first area where you're still outside and that kind of scared me, but I don't think it has gotten that bad afterwards anymore. Am only in chapter 5 though so who knows.

I hate idTech 5 with a burning passion but texture popin isn't as bad as in Rage or Wolfenstein, I only really norice it durung cutscenes.

Game would be better off without the black bars, but I'm getting used to them. On a 46-inch screen there's still enough space to see what you're doing but I can see how it would be terrible on a small(er) screen. I think the bars kind of add to the claustrophobic atmosphere, makes the game feel more surreal. I would still prefer the entire screen filled of course, but I guess you gotta make the best of it!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Eh, played through the PS3 version myself, besides some notable texture popping in later chapters, the frame rate etc was certainly a lot more solid than the hitches people are talking about for the PS4/XBone version.

PS3 ver video

I've looked at some comparison vids online and it seems like the last-gen versions use drastically different textures. Seems like something that would be interesting to take another look at.

Top Bottom