• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR for 2 Billion US Dollars

erawsd

a091Qyq_460sa.gif

Seriously... WTF?

Suzzopher

From what Palmer said, Oculus will become even better, they now have the clout to set the standard for the future of VR gaming.

This isn't a good thing for Sony, they do not have the clout to back Morpheous the way Facebook will.

entremet

This is why I don't donate to companies via KS.

What's the point of putting money in a company and not getting any sizable investment back? If I'm going to invest, let me invest for real.

Bricky

Well, this might be either the absolute best or absolute worst thing to ever happen to Oculus. There's good arguments for both.

For now though, it sure has destroyed the extreme goodwill and momentum with gamers they have build up over the years since nothing, not even reason, will stop the hate-train. This is the internet we're talking about after all. It's all gone now, and it will take a while, or some good damage-control (they had to see this reaction coming, right?), to fix it.

Whatever this results in, good or bad, one thing can be said for sure; the people at Oculus got one heck of a payday.

EDIT: Also, this is now technically a kickstarter-project with more than $2,000,000,000 invested in it. Welp.

hawk2025

I've been so tired lately but today I finally got some free time so I checked my Backlog, played one hour of Super Sanctum TD after playing Ground Zeroes but there's always new news on GAF so now I can't leave.

You know what my good fellow GAFfers, I'm getting some motivational Ice-cream!

Fellow GAFfer, I just did the exact same thing and grabbed some Americone Dream!

Sentenza

So... Morpheus looks way more appealing because Oculus Rift has now a lot more money to get a better developpement ?
You people should seriously stop with this bullshit reasoning of "if it has a bigger company behind, it's probably going to be a better product as well".
It was a stupid and baseless claim when people said it for Sony's Morpheus, it's even more stupid now that Facebook is in control of Oculus VR.

Tapiozona

Banned
Going from personal experience, a promising startup getting snapped up by an aggressive corporation early in its lifetime is usually very beneficial financially for the founders and a pretty big detriment to the original vision of the product or service.

Facebook is an advertising company, specifically they're in the business of selling targeted user data to their advertising partners. How that business model distorts the vision for Oculus VR gaming that had so many excited is the reason for the knee jerk negativity.

There are hundreds of examples of promising start-ups which have been purchased by mega-corporations which still yielded an amazing product. Just a few from just Apple and Google.

* Android
* Google Earth
* Google Maps
* OSX & IOS

B.O.O.M

I can't think of a less social experience than VR. I feel going for scial experiences is the exact opposite of what it should be

This is just so random. And I am curious to see where this goes. I mean Oculus has been trumpeting about how weak hardware meant they won't support the ps4. Now if FB wants them to target a bigger market with their product..then what? It's a niche device as it is now.

Division of priorities and resources incoming? Crazy times ahead

Zeth

I'm excited that this could speed up development. At least we probably won't need to worry about DK2 shipments being a prolonged clusterfuck.

MBR

Banned
Um, because Project Morpheus looks way more appealing now?

Fucking Facebook is now in charge of Oculus Rift. FACEBOOK
How does that change anything at all?
Morpheus is still using inferior tech than even the DK2, right (LCD vs. OLED)? And is locked to one type of hardware, while OR is open.

I'm imagining sony execs crying.
Then again they've now entered a multi-B$ market, so that's probably exciting.

Also, I don't get why people are worried about ads. What are you thinking?

I didn't expect Facebook of all companies to buy Oculus VR. Hell, I don't think anyone saw this coming.

I'm glad Sony is working on Project Morpheus. They're our only hope now.

sub_o

Facebook, like any other big technological company, has a large amount of cash which is waiting to use for buy companies and whatnot. All of us know about its purchase of Whatsapp for a huge amount of money, Google, Apple, you know, all of them are in control of a huge capital.

I only can see one good thing about this, the publicity, now Oculus will be well recognized all around the globe.

But I can't be help to think what for Facebook buy Oculus and I'm afraid that the original idea of Oculus might be vanished.

Here's something to ponder about.

If you were to buy a company for $2 billion, and your core business have more than 1 billon users. What will your business decision be? Will you let Oculus do their own thing in long term? Or will you try to shift their focus to services that has revenue revolved around ads or some sort of social networking?

I can't predict the future, so I don't know how Oculus will end up. Well, let's wait and see how the future will be.

StuBurns

Banned
Honestly, I am 100% sure this is a success for the short term, and an absolute tragedy in the long term. By that point, I expect to jump to a competitor. I don't think I've ever been so conflicted about the future
This is meaningless to VR's gaming future, Rift is hot because people care, but now they'll just care about whoever comes next, and it's probably going to be Valve.

The revolution isn't canceled, only rebranded.

Top Bottom