• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR for 2 Billion US Dollars

Rubius

ijgj47ux9a6.png

yeah, here's another thing to worry about, dev reactions.

if he's being serious then that's fucking huge.

Well Notch was always against big corporate take over. He attacked Windows 8 pretty fast when it became too closed for him.

"I'd rather have minecraft not run on win 8 at all than to play along. Maybe we can convince a few people not to switch to win 8 that way.."

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i really think this is going to be one of those threads we'll look back and laugh at while wearing our OR headsets.

Mobius 1

Did not want to work with the console makers, now will become the VR device of choice for Farmville players.

Sony's HQ must be throwing a party of magnificent proportions right now.

big_z

Give it 20 years and in sure vr will pop up again and maybe well get it right the third time.

The VR dream has died in the womb.

bj00rn_

Banned
My enthusiasm for Oculus shot in the bow out of the blue.. Right now I see no other solution than to cancel my pre-order, cancel my Oculus VR support in general. I hated facebook with a passion before this news, and I hate them even more now.

Right, so just like they locked Instagram* onto the Facebook phone? Guys, it is a PC peripheral, so of course it will support PC games. What do you think it plugs into??

*Facebook bought Instagram in 2012

Only if they can advertise to you and/or collect tons of info. Instagram is a tool for collecting data, and eventually advertising. OR will be the same.

So do kickstarter investors get a share?

(probably been said already)

Kickstarter isn't an investment platform. People who donated to Kickstarter got their promised rewards (mostly devkits)

holy shit I can't believe that

This is much worse than I expected...

Save us GABEN!

Because the future of gaming is very dark right now

The future of gaming is dark because a promising new technology was just valued at $2 billion? That's validation and it's a good thing! Why would GABEN save you? There are just as many shitty, predatory, casual, free-to-play games on Steam as there are on Facebook. And even Oculus has been saying that they see VR itself as a platform not PC. They have talked about mobile and non-game applications from the beginning.

If you really want VR to takeoff you need to be comfortable with the idea that for VR to become mainstream, there will be applications that aren't for hardcore PC gamers.

But Oculus Rift is just the headset. What they're talking about here amounts to live 3D interactive captures of an environment. That's completely independent from the tool used to display it.

What they're talking about is fantastic, and very very exciting, and not what Oculus Rift is.

There was a company at CES that was showing college football games translated to VR on a Rift. They already have the technology to take 360 degree video.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Positives of Facebook entering into VR race:
Oh my, this isn't a very well thought out list, and downright dishonest in some places.

- Oculus now has infinite budget to craft perfect hardware, software and entire VR platform for PC and portables
Occulus never had an issue with their budget, apart from the Kickstarter to get the project rolling. In fact, they recently acquired some US$75m in capital funding, which is enough to bring them through to the consumer model hitting the market. The difference, of course, is that OR is no longer in charge of itself, and now must answer to the board of directors of Facebook, who will want a sizable return on their US$2b investment. This means producing a product that will sell to their projected "billions of people". A lower cost unit is going to be the end game for OR now.

- Countless more developers will become interested in VR, short byte-size games will find much larger audience on VR
An unfounded assumption that runs directly opposed to the niche market that VR is already appealing to and creating. Due to the more technical nature of presentation required to produce quality VR experiences - seriously, the smartest people in video games are still having issues getting it working - developer interest will not necessary translate directly into more, or better, experiences. What it will do, however, is front-load shovel ware onto the platform, killing its credibility. I've already likened this to what happened with the 3D resurgence, and comparing it to the Wii isn't too far off.

- VR promotion on Facebook.com = MILLIONS of VR adopters on day 1
Facebook advertises literally millions of products daily, some of which do not sell worth a damn, and others that are outright scams. The non-curated nature of Facebook's advertisements would, more than likely, lead people to think that this product is of a lower quality - or an outright lie - if it were advertised on Facebook, due to the nature of the ads that populate Facebook's pages. This is not a good thing.

- More VR users of all kinds = more AAA games for us PC gamers
Another unfounded assumption. Mobile gaming is currently the target of the video game industry due to the low costs and high returns. And I have yet to find anything that approaches AAA gaming in terms of quality. More users doesn't mean more AAA games - it means a focus on more mass media experiences. Instead of EVE Valkyrie, we're more likely to see Farmville.

- Immediate infusion of entertainment/documentary/travel content
Facebook's involvement does nothing to further this aspect, due to the fact that Facebook does not produce content itself and has no standing, catch-all partnerships with content providers. Sony being involved will have a greater impact, because Sony produces this content itself.

- Holy grail of VR - social networking inside minecraft-esque VR space. Just what Snow Crash depicted in its Metaverse.
... provided by the single largest advertising company in the history of the world, who's entire business model revolves around bombarding their users with more and more advertisements everyday. Facebook being involved is more likely to create the countless parodies of VR, instead of the perfect version.

- with stylized design, VR metaverse could be run even from iOS/Android phones
The PS4 is about the lowest you'd want to go, in terms of processing power, for producing a VR experience. Running these experiences on mobile-based hardware? Not in this decade. Besides, the anti-social aspects do not align with the social focus of these mobile platforms. Are we expected to sit at a bus stop with a VR helmet on, plugged into our phone? People have issues with Google Glasses.

- Facebook can sell hardware with loss, providing incredibly HQ hardware for ~$99
Facebook do not operate at a loss in any aspect of their business. Being that they've already had a rocky IPO, they're not looking at throwing approximately US$300.00 away per unit sold. They're aiming for "billions of people". Multiple it out, and you arrive at a loss of approximately US$300b just on the hardware. No company could sustain that.
Facebook will produce a cheap VR solution to ensure mass adoption, but the quality of the hardware will reflect the price tag.

- Presence of strong player in VR will force Sony to become very invested in VR, making much more compelling product and enabling 3rd parties much more streamlined patch toward porting games to PS4
This point doesn't actually make sense, as Sony is technically more invested than OR is, due to the capital investment Sony has already made, and intends to make, in bringing VR into the living room, and producing mass-media content to power it.
Facebook's involvement dilutes OR's purpose and vision - OR is no longer about producing the best gaming VR solution possible, its about producing the most profitable mass-media VR solution.

Flip your perceptions; Sony are the gamer's best chance now.

Madchad

Enjoying that super fantastic VR game that just came out ?

Heres an add for the new No.1 F2P Game! Build your empire today!

HUELEN10

Minecraft for Occulous being cancelled sucks for the fans, but I applaud Notch for being a man who sticks to his convictions. If he finds Facebook creepy, then he shouldn't feel forced to continue. Hopefully he will look into other VR options to make fans of a VR Minecraft happy.

vpance

Negatives?
So far, none, as long PC gamers get what they were promised [and FB is willing not to interfere with that].

This is good news for VR.

Facebook splash screens, ad interstitials and their logo watermarked in the bottom right :(

Toddimus Prime

Neo Member
I keep trying to be optimistic about this but I have the same feeling I get in Civ 5 when some promising City-State I've had my eye on for some time gets annexed by Venice. That kind of shit makes me all irrational, fuck democracy.

Actually, it's like when my parents split up. In reverse.

Hope is gone. Save us Superman.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why is everyone freaking out? What does this change other than Oculus now has a ton of capital for R&D and marketing their product to the world?

Is Facebook notorious for tampering with the successful companies they've acquired? Did they mess up Instagram?

Honest questions here, I haven't closely followed tech news for a while.
It's an acquisition, not a blank cheque. Facebook can do what they want now with the technology, no matter what it's initial purpose was. Don't ignorantly believe the pro/cons post that keeps getting requoted, because certain purpose for the Oculus Rift just got a bit muddier, and there's no indication at the moment that it will carry down the same applicability/development path that we had.

It's not fear of Facebook inherently, it's the possibilities that open now that Oculus is a part of Facebook. Focus can change; might not necessarily change, but it can. Uncertainty is introduced.

Seanspeed

Banned
Facebook just potentially ruined the future of gaming. It's that simple.
Wow, people are seriously just jumping to conclusions.

I have no idea what this means, in all honesty. Will wait for some comments from the Oculus team.

But anyways, continue to freak out in the meantime!

Tablo

Honestly this could be a good thing, they seem like they're going to hold true for the gaming side. And then use the tech for normal VR stuff too, Facebook has the resources, they can help Oculus get what they need.

I had the same reaction a lot of you guys did as soon as I heard the news, but now that I've thought about it I actually think this could be for the better, rather than it being acquired by someone who's already a major player in the game ecosystem.
I'm going to trust Zuckerberg with this one!

Let's go baby! VR future hurry up!

This thread is going waaaaaay too fast. I'll probably catch up to this post in about an hour.

On topic: yeah this can't be a good thing. OR were turning down deals all over the place but I guess the money just got too much. Everyone has a price.

1cmanny1

Nooooooo

This is actually good news probably. But I just can't get over the thought of Facebook editing it to accommodate social media.

I see this as extremely good news.

Positives of Facebook entering into VR race:
- Oculus now has infinite budget to craft perfect hardware, software and entire VR platform for PC and portables
- Countless more developers will become interested in VR, short byte-size games will find much larger audience on VR
- VR promotion on Facebook.com = MILLIONS of VR adopters on day 1
- More VR users of all kinds = more AAA games for us PC gamers
- Immediate infusion of entertainment/documentary/travel content
- Holy grail of VR - social networking inside minecraft-esque VR space. Just what Snow Crash depicted in its Metaverse.
- with stylized design, VR metaverse could be run even from iOS/Android phones
- Facebook can sell hardware with loss, providing incredibly HQ hardware for ~$99
- Presence of strong player in VR will force Sony to become very invested in VR, making much more compelling product and enabling 3rd parties much more streamlined path toward porting games to PS4

Negatives?
So far, none, as long PC gamers get what they were promised [and FB is willing not to interfere with that].

This is good news for VR.
This is an absolutely incredible post and you have my total respect. Personally I cannot will myself to believe a single word of it, but any attempt to stand back and think more rationally is welcome. All that stuff seems theoretical possible as a wish list of reasons the purchase was justified though I question the probabilities of any of it. There's also a matter of "good news for VR" versus "good news for VR in entertainment/gaming" which is why we're on NeoGAF. Trying to say this works toward the latter is harder.

Speaking of the "fantasy" of Facebook giving away it's products at a massive loss, you realize their main consumer product is given away for free, right?
Their product is your likes, your bundled network of friends, family, professional connections, and demographic data. And your eyeballs.

Facebook buys whatever they think might hurt them. VR might be the future but sometimes I just wish that it fails hard just to watch the world burn.

Shosai

Banned
A company that runs a social network that gets it's revenue from marketing and ads owns it.

I'll give you a few guesses to what to expect.

Gaming will probably be apart of it somehow but not in the spotlight anymore imo

Most of what the Occulus team has been doing hasn't been in the realm of actual game development. Game development was always up to third parties. Unless you mean tech demos, which I really doubt most people are throwing a fit over the hypothetical loss of.

Also, I really can't think of any VR features that are exclusive to gaming applications.

Top Bottom