• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factory responsible for Wii U eDram to close within 2-3 years

NeonZ

Nintendo fan boys don't like it, but I think Nintendo should focus on handhelds and get out of the home console game and license their ips out.

If they're still going to be working on portables, why should they license their IPs? If they focus on portables, that just means we'll only see their IPs in portables. The whole point would be having a more concentrated and bigger software line up. If they chose that path, I don't think it'd make any sense to make home console games as a third party.

Darryl

Banned
Nintendo fan boys don't like it, but I think Nintendo should focus on handhelds and get out of the home console game and license their ips out.

that's like the nintendo fan boys wet dream. now that tech has progressed far enough, they're probably clinging to the home console space moreso to keep their highly profitable Wii- line of games alive than anything else.

If they're still going to be working on portables, why should they license their IPs? If they focus on portables, that just means we'll only see their IPs in portables. The whole point would be having a more concentrated and bigger software line up, in that case. if they chose that path. I don't think it'd make any sense to make home console games as a third party in that case.

Plus you're devaluing your only remaining hardware by not making it the only place to get these IPs, even if you only license them out to other devs.

I think what people who want Nintendo games on "real" hardware have to realize is that if they drop out of the home console business you will only see those IPs on even weaker hardware: handhelds.

Jonboy

Nintendo's memory problems continue.

MKcbbiV.jpg

Omg. Sooooo great.

Brofield

This is what licensing out their IPs gets us, even on the home console business.

My beef is terrible voices after getting used to SFAdventures for so long, and 10 bloody missions that could be done in about 2-3 hours. Only redeeming factor was the multiplayer.

cafemomo

Focus on handhelds? yes. Whore out their IPs? No, I'd rather see Ninty just shut its doors. Mind you, I'm no fan of a majority of their IPs, but it would be a very sad day to see Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and the likes on a Sony or MS platform

Thoraxes

What do you do when they're going to close?

You try to sign a new deal with a new plant. Then if the circumstances presented are an issue, you figure out a new strategy for manufacturing process.

WolvenOne

People that suggest Nintendo should drop the Wii U needs to wake up. The Wii U already cost at lot of R&D, dropping the Wii U to make another console now would just cost more R&D, which means the new console would have to sell fucking gangbusters to make up the R&D cost of not one but TWO consoles.

Are you guys insane? They'll take the loss with the Wii U, they can, it will get the games it needs eventually and best case scenario they can make the Wii U go above Gamecube LTD numbers.

I tend to agree with this. As much as it galls Nintendo, they may have to resign themselves to lowering the price, and selling at a loss during the next two years. If they do however, and if they manage to put out some good games at a fairly steady clip, I could see them beating out GameCube LTD sales.

Maybe not by a whole lot, but still.

Skyzard

Banned
It's an everybody console but the 'everybody' nintendo gamer isn't ready to upgrade yet. He needs to see loads of PS4, Xbox one ads and then some Wii U ads (with a pricedrop and good games) to get motivation. We don't know if the gamepad will work yet...I don't think redesigns would be smart yet.

AzaK

They needto skip the 8th generation technology and jump straight into 9th generation tech. Or in other words the best tech money can by within the last year or so.
They would still have no games.
They are only now getting to grips with HD. Who knows if they could utilise something PS4 level or greater.
Third parties still wouldn't trust tegu could bring the audience.

Nintendo made thier bed and now they have to lie in it for 4-5 years.

Turrican3

http://www.renesas.com/media/ir/event/pdf/presentation/2014_q1_direction_02.pdf (page 22)

I'm not sure I'm reading it right (English is not my native language, and I'm definitely not an expert in the electronics production field), but this document seems to suggest that there are two possible outcomes regarding stuff currently being manufactured at the Tsuruoka factory: the first one is, well, terminating production altogether, the other one is moving production to other, Renesas-owned fabs or outsourcing to a different company.

Sorry to shut down the party haters, this is not news. It is in 2-3 years and already Nintendo is saying they will use TSMC.

I will go and hug my Wii U.

Top Bottom