• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markoman

Corf-H7XYAAZ0yS.jpg

Have fun Germanygaf.

Not leaving the house. I live quite close to one of those warning signs. Sound of helicopters all day long.

Azole

Neo Member
Flying through Istanbul tomorrow. Overnight layover, any advice? I plan to stay in the airport for the entire 16 hours as I suspect it's the most secure place. Not gonna lie, I'm a little worried about this trip.

Went on a cruise, with a friend, that was supposed to go to Istanbul for the last stop (Athens to Istanbul)... Days before the cruise, bombing at the airport, so the cruise line changed the last destination to Athens. Fought and got the cruise line to pay for flights from Athens to Istanbul (hotel and flight back to state, in Istanbul, already booked for and paid for with no refunds). It was a one week cruise and on the last night, as we were packing, the coup took place (was watching the news). Planned to fly out to Istanbul on Saturday in the afternoon but got canceled due to the speech of the president at the airport... No biggie, had another day in Athens at a beautiful beach resort (airline paid). Flew to Istanbul on Sunday. Got there and everything was normal or fine I should say. Beautiful place! Awesome not having to deal with the tourist crowd; this allowed us to explore Istanbul and to do so much in the three days we were there. It is really sad for the tourist business though as they are all hungry to sell. I was a little hesitant at first after hearing the news of the coup but my friend had friends in Istanbul who we kept in touch throughout the trip and he assured us everything was fine. I would love to go to Istanbul again!

Lime

Just went to a conference where the Turkish delegation all had to cancel because of the "curfew". It was really sad and depressing.

In some Arabic media stations with a political religous background like AL Jazera and so there is a mass pro Erdogan propaganda going on.
He is labeled as the return of the Khalifa of all Muslims.
The saviour of Democratic freedom.

The Muslim Brotherhood is unusually active given that Turkey and Erdogan is their last chance for survival after their image got tarnished based on their Egypt and Syrian stance and being identified as a terrorist organization by Saudia Arabia Bahrain and the UAE.

Other unbiased Arabic political critics are pointing to focus Aleppo after the Terrorists organization labeled as Jabhat AL Nusra (Backed by Qatar and Turkey and is one of Muslim Brotherhood indirect armed forces decided to shift toward becoming a political party in Syria post the "coup").

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Watching the whole thing on Phoenix vor Ort right now

These people are l o s t
I was thinking the same thing this morning, listening to the news block on the radio.

Every single news coming from Turkey from their official news channels was finishing with the obligatory 'in an attempt to preserve democracy'. There's nothing democratic in post-coup purges, you morons.

Brainwashing to the N-th degree. This is how Nazism flourishes.

Donos

MfsqXPT.png

At the huge "Pro Erdogan" demonstration of 20.000 thousand turks in Cologne.

"Erdogan is a hero of democracy" ...

I see similarities to a russian friend of mine who lives here in germany and tells stories about the russian community here in Berlin who totally adores Putin and his "strong hand". Nobody wants to go back there except for vacation but they all think he's bringing Russia back to glory...

oti

Banned
Turkey is super pissed about Germany not letting Erdogan address his supporters in Cologne during the rally yesterday. They summoned the German ambassador. Remember, since the Armenia Resolution they don't let him meet the Turkish government so his position is basically pointless. Now they wanted to talk to him but he's on vacation, so they get to shout at another person.

They say that from now on Germany is not allowed to talk about Turkish democracy or the lack thereof since not letting Erdogan talk to his supporters is undemocratic.

http://m.heute.de/ZDF/zdfportal/xml/object/44621302

Once the refugee deal is off this is gonna turn real ugly.

Turkey is super pissed about Germany not letting Erdogan address his supporters in Cologne during the rally yesterday. They summoned the German ambassador. Remember, since the Armenia Resolution they don't let him meet the Turkish government so his position is basically pointless. Now they wanted to talk to him but he's on vacation, so they get to shout at another person.

They say that from now on Germany is not allowed to talk about Turkish democracy or the lack thereof since not letting Erdogan talk to his supporters is undemocratic.

http://m.heute.de/ZDF/zdfportal/xml/object/44621302

Once the refugee deal is off this is gonna turn real ugly.
How often did Erdogan criticized other countries to stop interfering in domestic politics in turkey? I also am dissapointed by the turkish population, who adore this demonstration and visited the demonstration. They have almost zero education in the turkish policy, they know the country solely on vacation memories and from their grandparents nostalgia.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh, who cares? Its not like the tabloid press worldwide usually makes subtle critic on german politicians. Its always Nazi here and Hitler there.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, who cares? Its not like the tabloid press worldwide usually makes subtle critic on german politicians. Its always Nazi here and Hitler there.

When you have a huge Turkish population in the country that seems to eat up everything Erdogan says I think you should care a little. It could become a real danger if it escalates like that.

CTLance

I'm just glad nothing happened yesterday. Cologne was a potential powder keg.

That said, just because the demo is over, it doesn't mean the situation has improved. I really hope we can fix those deep rifts in our society. It cannot be good that a foreign politician can mobilize a considerable amount of Germans like that.

norinrad

The way i see it, the EU is less vocal now and Erdogan can go on with his purge. Nothing is going to be done unless he invades a neighborhood country i guess. Which isn't going to happen any time soon as he and his supporters are way too busy removing all political opponents. Europe never learns

oti

Banned
The way i see it, the EU is less vocal now and Erdogan can go on with his purge. Nothing is going to be done unless he invades a neighborhood country i guess. Which isn't going to happen any time soon as he and his supporters are way too busy removing all political opponents. Europe never learns

I don't understand what you want Europe to do at this point. Europe can't force Turkey to uphold a Rechtsstaat and they also can't force Erdogan's supporters to feel differently.

Only hard steps that can be taken are:

- Throw Turkey out of NATO, which is against Europe's interests
- Stop Turkey-EU negotiations, which will strengthen Erdogan even more
- Stop the refugee deal, which would be disastrous for the governing parties in Germany since 2017 is election year and would strengthen the far-right parties across Europe even more

norinrad

I don't understand what you want Europe to do at this point. Europe can't force Turkey to uphold a Rechtsstaat and they also can't force Erdogan's supporters to feel differently.

- Stop the refugee deal, which would be disastrous for the governing parties in Germany since 2017 is election year and would strengthen the far-right parties across Europe even more

Ah i see Erodgan has the EU by the balls. May we live in interesting times then.

But a Turkey EU visa deal would give just as much fuel as round 2 of the refugee crisis.

oti

Banned
But a Turkey EU visa deal would give just as much fuel as round 2 of the refugee crisis.

I don't know about "just as much". The visa deal to me seems impossible at his point anyway. Turkey needs to change their definition of "terrorism" and I don't see Erdogan giving up his tool to interrogate NGOs and other groups.

I don't know about "just as much". The visa deal to me seems impossible at his point anyway. Turkey needs to change their definition of "terrorism" and I don't see Erdogan giving up his tool to interrogate NGOs and other groups.

but that's what he demands, if it falls through and he opens the floodgates he lost his leverage.

Highly doubt this

possibly but it will look very bad

I thought US gives a lot of foreign/military aid to Turkey. But Wikipedia shows me only in the 10 million range, way less than Egypt. I guess only EU/Merkle's policy toward Turkey will make real difference.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If EU would want to get rid of Turkey grab on its balls they could just create a task force as a Plan B and if indeed the deal with Turkey fails play hardball with Turkish smugglers.

I think the initial deal already made an impact on the willingness to pay a lot of money for a dingy only to be returned, so I don't think a second wave would be as big as the first.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Do you think right wing parties will be happy with allowing 80 million Turkish citizens visa free travel at this juncture? Do you think it's more palatable than ~2.5m refugees in Greece?

I think that the refugees are still the more successful tool for these kind of people to make fearmongering.

And obiviously there wont be 80 million people coming from turkey to europe.

Theonik

I think that the refugees are still the more successful tool for these kind of people to make fearmongering.

And obviously there wont be 80 million people coming from turkey to europe.
Considering the amount of flyers I've been getting from Brexit nutters during the EU referendum about Turkey joining the EU and the muslims coming over I think you are firmly wrong about that. They don't use facts. All they need to say is that 80m might be coming over. 80m people won't be coming over but they could, and to those voters the potential influx is worse than containing refugees in Greece which they could not give a rat's ass about.

oti

Banned
Considering the amount of flyers I've been getting from Brexit nutters during the EU referendum about Turkey joining the EU and the muslims coming over I think you are firmly wrong about that. They don't use facts. All they need to say is that 80m might be coming over. 80m people won't be coming over but they could, and to those voters the potential influx is worse than containing refugees in Greece which they could not give a rat's ass about.

The idea here is that the new refugees will make their way to Germany.

Theonik

The idea here is that the new refugees will make their way to Germany.
Greece's land border is already locked down and the re-distribution efforts have pretty much halted. This will not change if the deal with Erdogan is off.
The German politicians know better than to let that happen so they will look for other solutions now that the deal with Erdogan has proven to be a failure.

Joni

Considering the amount of flyers I've been getting from Brexit nutters during the EU referendum about Turkey joining the EU and the muslims coming over I think you are firmly wrong about that.
The European Union at that point should have spread a list of all countries in favor of Turkey in the European Union. Only features the United Kingdom.

norinrad

The European Union at that point should have spread a list of all countries in favor of Turkey in the European Union. Only features the United Kingdom.

I think it would be a huge no. The majority of the EU countries won't allow Turkey to join. I also don't think Turkey is ready to contribute the kind of money that the top 5 countries inject into the EU. Everyone else just takes and don't contribute shit besides the usual Germany/Holland/Belgium/Austria/France are trying to treat us like second class EU citizens while shoving refugees down our throats.

The EU is locking down so good luck manufacturing a new refugee crisis Turkey. The EU or UN should fund a place for refugees to stay whilst they apply for asylum to the EU as a whole, but certain countries stopping redistribution from taking place are the main obstacles to solving this problem logically.

Beefy

TURKEY: "Military analysts say 95% of military academy students linked to this (Gulen) structure”: Defence Min - @zeynep_erdim

Decree by Turkey's Erdogan brings military more under govt
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Mi...-erdogan-brings-military-more-under-govt.ashx
Associated Press
ISTANBUL: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan issued a new presidential decree Sunday that introduced sweeping changes to Turkey's military in the wake of a July 15 failed coup, bringing the armed forces further under civilian authority.

The decree, the third issued under a three-month state of emergency declared after the attempted coup, gives the president and prime minister the authority to issue direct orders to the commanders of the army, air force and navy.

It also announces the discharge of 1,389 military personnel, including Erdogan's chief military adviser, who had been arrested days after the attempted coup, the Chief of General Staff's charge d'affaires and the defense minister's chief secretary.

The presidential decree puts the military commands directly under the defense ministry, puts all military hospitals under the authority of the health ministry, and also expands the Supreme Military Council - the body that makes decisions on military affairs and appointments - to include Turkey's deputy prime ministers and its justice, foreign and interior ministers.

The document, published in the official gazette Sunday, also shuts down all military schools, academies and non-commissioned officer training institutes and establishes a new national defense university to train officers.
#BREAKING Pres. Erdogan invites main opposition leaders to speak in anti-coup rally in Istanbul with him . (Was unthinkable 3 weeks ago)

MP paid by group linked with Turkey coup
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mp-paid-by-group-linked-to-turkey-coup-88x0s07vc
Under a Pay wall so here is another link as well
http://www.trtworld.com/europe/gulenists-paid-uk-mp-to-write-anti-turkey-report-155522
A British MP accepted tens of thousands of pounds to write a report for an arm of the group accused of orchestrating the failed Turkish military coup, before promoting its agenda during a Commons debate.

Sir Edward Garnier, the Conservative MP for Harborough, was paid £115,994 in February last year to co- research and author a document titled A Report on the Rule of Law and Respect for Human Rights in Turkey.
The publication said, “Sir Edward insists that he and the other authors of the report are not supporters or adherents of the Gulen movement, but wrote the report as independent English lawyers based on the evidence we had reviewed.”

The report was sent to prominent figures in British politics, including former Prime Minister David Cameron and former Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond.

The Conservative MP for Harborough stood against UK’s support for Turkey’s accession to the EU during a Commons debate in March, alleging “serial and appalling human rights and rule of law abuses by the Turkish government.”

“Although he mentioned his contribution to the report in his Commons statement, he did not reveal that it had been commissioned by a group linked to the Gulen movement,” the newspaper added.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There was some stuff I saw in Conflict News but the more recent stuff had their sources delete their tweets after posting it
TURKEY: "Military analysts say 95% of military academy students linked to this (Gulen) structure”: Defence Min - @zeynep_erdim

yeah this was one of them but the person deleted there link afterwards

which is odd

-------
This was interesting

Document Reveals What Really Drove Turkey’s Failed Coup Plotters
A draft document obtained by BuzzFeed News shows the plotters were unhappy with the government’s attempt to make peace with Kurdish separatist rebels.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/borzoudara...led-coup-plott?utm_term=.woodagq3O#.slQnG7m3r
The coup plotters told the world they wanted to restore democracy, liberty, and stability. But a document found at a prosecutor’s office shows that a key motivation of those who staged Turkey’s failed July 15 rebellion was their opposition to the government’s now-collapsed attempt to make peace with the Kurdish separatist rebels fighting Ankara.

A three-and-a-half-page draft indictment obtained by BuzzFeed News and confirmed as authentic by a Turkish official suggests the coup plotters aimed to drag President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his top officials into court on charges of colluding with terrorists for their part in a six-year attempt to negotiate a settlement with the Kurdistan Workers Party, or PKK, a militant group considered a terrorist organization by the US and the West.

“While not being members of the terror organization, they helped the terror organization by letting it carry and stock heavy artillery like rocket launchers, machine guns and ammunition, not taking any measure to prevent this situation and paving the way for an armed struggle,” reads a snippet of the indictment, which was dated this year and reported on by several Turkish news outlets.
Explains why most of the coup soldiers were from the faction that shell the kurds

------
https://twitter.com/trtworld/status/760141580854435840
Gulen initially said the coup was "staged", now says it may have involved some followers acting without his consent

something happened in the past few days it seems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom