• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ullus

Turkey still pissed at Wallströms' comments.

This is an ad at Atatürk airport:

14715957913946cu0f.jpg

Pretty damn childish.

14715957913946cu0f.jpg

Pretty damn childish.

Whahahahahahahahahat the fuck. That's fucking rich for a country where wife murders by abusive ex-husbands is a monthly thing if not a weekly one.

FWIW, I think the ad belongs to a newspaper called Güneş.

G.ZZZ

14715957913946cu0f.jpg

Pretty damn childish.

Lmao. This is the level of discourse now. Lowest common denominator, all the while the rest of the world really don't care. Russia 2.0

Lmao. This is the level of discourse now. Lowest common denominator, all the while the rest of the world really don't care. Russia 2.0
There is plenty equivelant of this in Europe towards Turkey. The discourse is totally broken from both sides. Erdoğan has got what he wants. Us Secular Turks are in the middle. We see moronic Turcophobia from Europe and moronic Europhobia from AKP Turks.

G.ZZZ

There is plenty equivelant of this in Europe towards Turkey. The discourse is totally broken from both sides. Erdoğan has got what he wants. Us Secular Turks are in the middle. We see moronic Turcophobia from Europe and moronic Europhobia from AKP Turks.

You're free to point me where to see something equivalent to an advert in the capital airport going on how Swedes are gonna rape you.

14715957913946cu0f.jpg

Pretty damn childish.
No words. Absolutely ridiculous.
Prove it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Please provide an image from a European government sponsored ad showing Turks as rapists.

Your half-assed support of Erdogan is worse than your full throated support of Erdogan.

jett

D-Member
Semi-related: Maduro promises an even worse reaction than Erdogan's in Venezuela if a coup is attempted there. What a clown.

Please provide an image from a European government sponsored ad showing Turks as rapists.

Your half-assed support of Erdogan is worse than your full throated support of Erdogan.

Again, Güneş is a newspaper. Not the Turkish government.

Doesn't make it any less disguisting.

Ullus

The Swedish Embassy decided to set things straight:

In light of reoccurring misconceptions on rape statistics in Sweden, the following should be noted:

To compare reported rape in Sweden with reported rapes in other countries with different legal and statistical systems does not describe reality correctly.

Sweden has a broad judicial definition of acts that are considered as rape.

In addition, Sweden uses a broad definition when calculating crime statistics. Every single offence is for example recorded separately and all reported events are counted as crimes even if some of them later are found not to have constituted criminal offences.

Criminal statistics are also influenced by reporting rates. In Sweden the authorities make great efforts to encourage victims of sexual offences to report these crimes.

Crime level comparisons between countries based on statistics are fraught with difficulties due to different methodologies in different jurisdictions.

In addition, such statistics are influenced by both legal and statistical factors, and by the extent to which crime is reported and registered. These factors vary from one country to another.

http://www.swedenabroad.com/en-GB/E.../News/MISCONCEPTIONS-ON-RAPE-STATISTICS--sys/

Maybe better suited in another thread, but since the ad has already been brought up here I think it fits.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Again, Güneş is a newspaper. Not the Turkish government.

Doesn't make it any less disguisting.

Yep, but that same newspaper was passed from Erdogan's government to this guy:

mp to: navigation, search

Ethem Sancak (born 1958, Siirt)[1] is a Turkish businessman considered to have "close ties to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan".[2] He completed his primary and secondary education in Siirt. He graduated from Istanbul University's Faculty of Business Administration. Following graduation he worked as a journalist between 1976-1978.[3]

Ethem Sancak was the owner of the Star Media Group from 2004 to 2009, giving its Star newspaper a more pro-Justice and Development Party (AKP) line.[2][4] In early 2013 he was listed by Forbes as the 43rd richest person in Turkey.[5]

And is effectively a government sanctioned outfit even before the Erdogan "reforms"

oti

Banned
Turkey has recalled its ambassador from Austria. "Consultations".

A few weeks ago the Austrian Chancellor called for an end to the EU membership negotiations with Turkey, as they were "only political fiction at this point".

oti

Banned
Haven't they been asking for the extradition since the day of the coup. Erdogan won't let the extradition call just melt away, I think he's going to continue to push for it.

Shouting at cameras is one thing, filing a formal request another. This is a formal request. And funnily enough, it has "nothing to do" with the coup.

Now it's official: Turkey is asking the US for the extradition of Gulen. But:

(I guess they don't have any evidence to back up that claim?)

http://time.com/4463379/turkey-extr...-fethullah-gulen/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

If there was a Gülen equivelant movement trying to infiltrate the US state aparatus you can bet your house that America would easily get the head of the movement extradited or do it themselves with spec ops.

Obviously when one is a weaker nation, this stuff is impossible.

oti

Banned
If there was a Gülen equivelant movement trying to infiltrate the US state aparatus you can bet your house that America would easily get the head of the movement extradited or do it themselves with spec ops.

Thanks for your insightful what if story. Great contribution. Proud of you Ethan. Wow.

faisal233

The Russians have successfully infiltrated the GOP, I don't see anyone extraditing Putin.

oti

Banned
My heart hurts for my country. That's all.

It's difficult to understand Gulen's reach into the Turkish system for us non-Turks. It's also difficult to understand how Gulen's aspirations of an Islamic state are in any way different or worse than Erdogan's aspirations of an Islamic state. You could try to explain that to us with your better access to Turkey instead of pointing the finger at the US and post what aboutisms.

I get that these are difficult times and you might feel like everyone's against Turkey here but those kind of posts don't help to get your point across at all.

and if a political ruler in the US would amass powers beyond his station the 2nd amendment might actually be of use.

It's difficult to understand Gulen's reach into the Turkish system for us non-Turks. It's also difficult to understand how Gulen's aspirations of an Islamic state are in any way different or worse than Erdogan's aspirations of an Islamic state. You could try to explain that to us with your better access to Turkey instead of pointing the finger at the US and post what aboutisms.

I get that these are difficult times and you might feel like everyone's against Turkey here but those kind of posts don't help to get your point across at all.

The key difference is Erdoğan has got where he is through elections. Gülen tried to get power via clandestine infiltration.

I'm a CHP supporter.

While I don't think Gulen was directly involved I do think Hizmet influence in government institutions saw that Erdogan would get rid of them (as he has been doing for the past few years) and the coup was made out of desperation.

Hizmet infiltration is notorious but I'm not saying that the teachers, judges, etc. who were sacked were Hizmet.

It may have started with some Hizmet but then Erdogan wanted to consolidate power against anyone else.

It may have started with some Hizmet but then Erdogan wanted to consolidate power against anyone else.
So far there isn't evidence that non-FETÖ associated are being removed/arrested.

Of course the complication is that there are people educated in FETÖ schools who might not give a shit about the movement but have been caught up in this.

oti

Banned
The key difference is Erdoğan has got where he is through elections. Gülen tried to get power via clandestine infiltration.

I'm a CHP supporter.

See, this is where all falls apart for me. He's been silencing critics, beating down demonstrations, ignoring the will of the people for his own gain (wtf is that palace) and his end goal is to bring back the Ottoman Empire.

Nobody is denying that his rise to power was democratic or that he did a lot of good for Turkey. But that shouldn't mean he's free to do whatever he wants now. That's not a sign of a strong democracy.

See, this is where all falls apart for me. He's been silencing critics, beating down demonstrations, ignoring the will of the people for his own gain (wtf is that palace) and his end goal is to bring back the Ottoman Empire.

Nobody is denying that his rise to power was democratic or that he did a lot of good for Turkey. But that shouldn't mean he's free to do whatever he wants now. That's not a sign of a strong democracy.
Of course not. I agree. But the lesser of 2 evils compared to FETÖ.

But I want CHP in power of course. A pipedream.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:19pm EDT
Biden seeks to ease Turkey tensions over coup suspect Gulen
U.S. Vice President Joe Biden sought on Wednesday to ease tensions with Turkey over its demands for the extradition of a cleric it blames for last month's failed coup, saying Washington was cooperating but needed evidence to meet U.S. legal standards.

Speaking during a visit to Ankara, Biden's comments came hours after President Tayyip Erdogan said Washington had "no excuse" for keeping hold of Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen, who has lived in U.S. exile since 1999.

The extradition demand for Gulen and Turkish perceptions of an unsympathetic Western response to the coup attempt have chilled relations between the United States and Turkey, a NATO ally and partner in the U.S.-led war on Islamic State.

"We have no ... interest whatsoever in protecting anyone who has done harm to an ally. None," Biden said. But the standards required under U.S. law must be met, he said.

Lawyers say the process could take years. Even if approved by a judge, an extradition request would still have to go to the U.S. Secretary of State, who can consider non-legal factors, such as humanitarian arguments.

After meeting Biden, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said Turkey and the United States should never allow incidents to harm relations, but Ankara expected the legal process for the Gulen extradition without delay.

Looks like Biden might be changing his mind on Gulen, including with the Turkish offensive in Jarablus/ Northern Syria happening.

oti

Banned
"God willing there will be enough to extradite Gulen" is a very odd thing to say for the VP if the United States.

It's good that he visited Turkey and the situation needs to cool down but this rhetoric is peculiar.

#UPDATE Turkey shells Kurdish militia in northern Syria: Turkish state media https://t.co/4gvUNVEMHa

Turkish artillery on Thursday shelled targets of the militia of the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) in northern Syria after they advanced in violation of an accord with the United States, state media said.

Turkish forces opened fire on PYD "militants" from 6:00 pm (1500 GMT) after intelligence showed they were advancing despite a promise by the US that the Kurdish militia would retreat, the state-run Anadolu agency said.

Seems like some of the Kurds are defying Biden's call to retreat across the Euphrates.

"God willing there will be enough to extradite Gulen" is a very odd thing to say for the VP if the United States.

It's good that he visited Turkey and the situation needs to cool down but this rhetoric is peculiar.

Here's the full quote:
"We will abide by our system. We will continue to abide by the system and, God willing, there will be enough data and evidence to be able to meet the criteria that you all believe exist," Biden said, according to reporters traveling with him. http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/24/politics/joe-biden-turkey-coup-us-support/

oti

Banned
The German channel Deutsche Welle conducted an interview with the Turkish Sports Minister about the coup, women's standing in the Turkish society and freedom of press.

Turkey has confiscated the interview.

Reasoning: The questions the German channel asked during the interview differed from the questions they said they would ask before the interview. At least that's what Turkey says.

Which hey, shitty attitude here Deutsche Welle but also hey, Turkish Minister, freedom of press or something like that.

http://m.heute.de/ZDF/zdfportal/xml/object/45130968

Klyka

Banned
The German channel Deutsche Welle conducted an interview with the Turkish Sports Minister about the coup, women's standing in the Turkish society and freedom of press.

Turkey has confiscated the interview.

Reasoning: The questions the German channel asked during the interview differed from the questions they said they would ask before the interview. At least that's what Turkey says.

Which hey, shitty attitude here Deutsche Welle but also hey, Turkish Minister, freedom of press or something like that.

http://m.heute.de/ZDF/zdfportal/xml/object/45130968

Uh, how can Turkey just "confiscate" an interview in Germany?

Or was this done in Turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom