• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2010 Anime Thread: Reboots, Retreads, and Rediscovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
mAcOdIn said:
Oh shit, that song's kind of awesome, that's from the movie?
Yeah - and the movie has one of the most ridiculously awesome scenes of all time in it too.
mAcOdIn said:
Didn't expect that from you.
Neither did I... Star Driver it is

mAcOdIn

DY_nasty said:
Yeah - and the movie has one of the most ridiculously awesome scenes of all time in it too.
But, but, Macross 7. Son of a bitch, I wanna watch it now. Fuck.

DY_nasty said:
No, I swear Crest is better! Lafiel's just lost it, he can't be trusted anymore. Star Driver was freaking lame.

DY_nasty

mAcOdIn said:
But, but, Macross 7. Son of a bitch, I wanna watch it now. Fuck.
Macross 7 is like a hardcore drug. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But... its kinda awesome, and you might like it (or it might make just make you angry) (or you might just OD) (or you might narc and rat me out for trying to poison you).

Xater

I have not been keeping up with this season. What has been good so far?

I have watched:

Panty Stocking - Don't know what to think yet. It's really weird.

Iron Man - Pretty underwhelming so far.

Dresden

Xater said:

I have watched:

Didn't you like Sengoku Basara? You should check out Star Driver.

Branduil

Xater said:

I have watched:

I liked the first episode of Otome Youkai Zakuro. The first episode of Squid Girl was okay. The first episode of Star Driver was okay.

Geneijin

mAcOdIn said:
I don't think his choice of games is that big of a deal, my problems with the story are deeper than that.
It's not so much I care what games he plays, but rather, I wish the show flaunts his obsession of eroges in a more glorious fashion than what we were presented in episode 1 as the pariah/god he is to contrast his perspective of his own world and the reality around him. It just feels mundane when compared to the manga. I'm probably placing too much emphasis on it, but it was why I enjoy and associate with Keima's character in the manga quickly.

My third problem is that they, the girls, don't mean anything and he means nothing as well, so there's never any extra drama created making the whole thing seem pretty worthless.
Somewhat agree with your 3rd point if episode 1 is a sure indication of how quickly they'll speed through each girls' story, but I'll be withholding judgment on that until the next episode because I thought it served its purpose as a nice introductory episode, but it didn't impress me much honestly. Perhaps my expectations prevented me from enjoying it as much as I could have.

I know, basically the premise just doesn't suit my tastes at all.
Maybe it doesn't, but if it changed and fixed the problems you had with it enough, I wouldn't say the premise didn't suit your taste. You're looking for something more that it will probably not provide you. I'm not really bothered by the lack of extra drama as you mentioned although I see my enjoyment of TWGOK rising if the anime took certain liberties and made that possible.

I just can't get past how stupid of a premise it is. But in a way I'm glad the big shows get their own threads so I don't have to go and crap on the official threads which are probably filled of fans.
I wouldn't worry about being a dissenter. The OreImo thread had seen the worse of it since icecream was the creator of the thread too but it died down.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
You better watch crest of the stars however. Or Lafiel. (the character, not the user speaking here) will not be pleased.

Star Driver was freaking lame.
Wrong it was ... bah i'm sick of saying it.:lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:

I feel like the honorifics debate is as fucking stupid as the sub/dub debate. People on both sides end up looking like assholes.

I dare anyone to try to watch MariMite with "localized" subs and tell me that it doesn't matter (LADY SACHIKO!!!!!!!!!). I'd rather people just drop honorifics completely rather than try to "translate" them. Certainly it's the only show I know of that includes two subtitle tracks, one with "honorifics" and one that's "translated". It's like they know it's full of folly.

And you know, that may be the way to just do this. If they can have both dub and sub tracks, there's no reason why people can't just do two subtitle tracks.

A Black Falcon said:
Or, to sum up my response in short, episode 13 certainly goes farther than any previous episode to make the situation look bad, but it's not completely without hope. Oh yeah, and as a general point, if by "accepting doom" you stop trying to do anything about it, well, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, I think. And this is why optimism is better. :)
I'm glad we're refusing to let this show die. :lol
I guess my point is that it doesn't matter what is happening to the world, since thematically it is more about how you would deal with the world ending.

Of course, I still believe that the world that they know it is probably ending, if they're willing to show that oceans are drying up. But that's beside the point. :)

Also, there are depressing endings in American SF film, disguised as happy endings. A.I. and Blade Runner come to mind.

On another note, I started an anime series a few days ago, and I'm already at episode 11, which is a pretty fast pace for me. I started watching Saki. I don't know the rules to Mahjong (it's obviously very complex...), but it's quite entertaining anyway. Amusing story, awesomely silly "explanations" for the superpower-level abilities of some of the major characters, fanservice, good characters, and a decent, if unoriginal, plot for a sports anime... apart from the particular brand of fanservice the series focuses on it's noting incredibly unique, but it does everything well so it's good anyway. It's just simple fun, nothing deep or complex. I like deep and complex sometimes, but light and entertaining is good sometimes too. And after something like episode 13 of Sora no Woto, I need something happy.

Saki is interesting because it's one of Gonzo's last shows (and full of fanservice, so it's perfect!). To be honest, I probably like it more because it's about mahjong more than anything else. Having mahjong fans break down the impossibility of some of Saki's hands, let alone the rule changes that let her win, is just amusing.

It probably also has the biggest cast of any anime that I can think of... and 99% of them are women. :lol

Neo C. said:
I watched squid girl and I feel bad for her. :(
Yeah, it's almost as if Cartman was a cute little girl. It's hard not to feel bad for her. :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
JKTrix said:
I hope Star Driver really does run 'fabulous' into the ground. Darn you, gg.
When i watched it i was actually surprised that it used the word. I thought the word "fabulous" was strictly a internet meme for some reason and not part of the actual show at all.:lol

Jex

firehawk12 said:
I'm glad we're refusing to let this show die. :lol
It would be great if other, better shows had the same thought invested into them.

I am of course, referring to Akikian.

JKTrix

Lafiel said:
When i watched it i was actually surprised that it used the word. I thought the word "fabulous" was strictly a internet meme for some reason and not part of the actual show at all.:lol

It was an internet meme. Started by gg, as far as I can recall, during the run of Code Geass (which they were subbing). At least that's how I learned of it, since I don't really lurk in that particular area of the internet where such things are generated.
(Strictly /m/.)

They could have definitely used a word other than fabulous in the subtitles, but it was kind of obligatory.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
It would be great if other, better shows had the same thought invested into them.

I am of course, referring to Akikian.

Why is the main love interest "melon soda"? Is this a comment about the interiority subconscious desire? Not only does one have to cut open a melon, but the process of wringing out the juice from the melon is a violent deconstruction of the self.

Also, haters gonna hate? I'm sure it's no surprise that I think Sora no Woto is a good show anyway. :lol

7Th

duckroll said:
Why Ando? WHY? Just direct another action movie. Stop wasting your time with harem garbage. :(

Doesn't it need a MALE PROTAGONIST to be called a harem? Or are you telling me that they're all lesbians falling for the same girl?

duckroll

7Th said:
Doesn't it need a MALE PROTAGONIST to be called a harem? Or are you telling me that they're all lesbians falling for the same girl?

Stop trying to defuse my baseless insults with logic! I'm sad and angry here! :(

Nishastra

Banned
Neo C. said:
I watched squid girl and I feel bad for her. :(
I hope the series ends with her successfully taking over the world somehow, though I doubt it :p

Best case scenario is probably just her going back into the ocean.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
duckroll said:
Stop trying to defuse my baseless insults with logic! I'm sad and angry here! :(
ANDOOOOOOOOO!!
aljzQ.jpg

Jex

InfiniteNine said:
ANDOOOOOOOOO!!
aljzQ.jpg
I really could have done with some Kaiji .gifs when watching School Days.

Man, those were the days. I don't have anything else nearly as horrifying to watch any more. I might be forced into digging up Violence Jack.

Jex

Nishastra said:
I hope the series ends with her successfully taking over the world somehow, though I doubt it :p

Best case scenario is probably just her going back into the ocean.
I hope the series ends with better pacing, nothing really seemed to flow right in that first episode.

Not that any of the material would have been that prize winning if it did, but all the other shows I've examined at least got that bit right.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
I hope the series ends with better pacing, nothing really seemed to flow right in that first episode.

Not that any of the material would have been that prize winning if it did, but all the other shows I've examined at least got that bit right.
Probably a consequence of it being three chapters in one episode.

Lain

cosmicblizzard said:
Diebuster>>>>>>>>Gunbuster. I guess I'm just a bigger fan of the modern style of these kinds of shows. Also, Nono is the best genki girl ever.

I'm with you man, even if just because for Diebuster I can listen, with Gunbuster I'm forced to read, as the DVD is subs only, no dub and for that reason alone, I still have to delve deeper than 5 minutes into Gunbuster!

Geneijin

Joule said:
I think she sounds quite good right now but maybe could stand to be little more bubbly like Koume from Taisho Yakyuu Musume. Did you have some other VA in mind for Elsee?
No one in particular comes to mind. Maybe Yui Horie (Bakemonogatari - Hanegawa, Ultra Maniac - Ayu, Kanon - Ayu), but I wouldn't mind hearing Ryou Hirohashi (Kaleido Star - Sora, Clannad - Kyou Fujibayashi, Taisho Yakyu Musume - Tama [never forget]) either. Ryou can do no wrong after that song :lol

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, it's almost as if Cartman was a cute little girl. It's hard not to feel bad for her. :lol
I have a hard time imagining that.

Joule

Geneijin said:
No one in particular comes to mind. Maybe Yui Horie (Bakemonogatari - Hanegawa, Ultra Maniac - Ayu, Kanon - Ayu), but I wouldn't mind hearing Ryou Hirohashi (Kaleido Star - Sora, Clannad - Kyou Fujibayashi, Taisho Yakyu Musume - Tama [never forget]) either. Ryou can do no wrong after that song :lol

But that song is Kanae Itou : ( I don't thnk Hirohashi had a singing role in Taishou.

Jex

Why is this ferret getting a 'postcard memory' (Oniisama...e, Rose of Versailles) :

ferret.jpg

I...don't get it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
D'aw, look at the ferret.

Probably playing mario kart on his red DS.

DY_nasty

When I was watching Star Driver, I kept thinking that someone was going to burst onscreen yelling "LISTEN TO MY SONG".

I'm still not cured yet. :(

Geneijin

Amagami SS - 13
Miya Nyaa Miya Myaa Nii-Nii; Pool Pooh :lol

Joule said:
But that song is Kanae Itou : ( I don't thnk Hirohashi had a singing role in Taishou.
Damn, I got them confused. Looks like I need to rewatch.

Reknoc

Oh wow home tips from Macross 7! Don't have a bunch of straws in your fridge otherwise people might think you're some kind of manslut. Do people keep their straws in the fridge?

Poor Exodol, from goblin to lovecraftian horror to Patrick Moore.

Jex

Heat Guy J : Never have I felt the need to annotate a visual aide...until this episode. How an animation studio can fail at visual storytelling is beyond me.

The whole office space has been bugging me for a while, it just seemed off. And now I know why! Click to make all the pictures bigger and more horrifying!

So we open with a close up on this ladies face (click to make bigger) :

And then we cut to an apparent POV from her (click to make bigger) :

Here's where things start to go wrong.

1. What's with this camera height? Surely in this shot we're looking through her eyes, which should be just above the computer screen, not several feet up.

2. What's with the chequered floor? It's repeated geometry is slightly bewildering in this space (it'll get worse when I get to the other problems). It appears even stranger when there's clear layers to it as well. It draws the eye oddly.

3. Why does this couch look so obviously CG? And more importantly, why is the colour scheme so atrocious? Why does it not fit any of other furniture in the room? Oh wait, that's because nothing fits.

4. Talking about things that look like they come out of the Sims 1...what is this? Why is there a picture just sitting on the floor? What's the design aesthetic of this space?

5. Why are J and this plant out of focus?

6. This shot doesn't help, but why do the walls feel so horribly close together? Is this scene supposed to be tense? Are we supposed to feel trapped?

7. All these thin, tall objects look fairly peculiar against the chequered floor, the tight walls, the vertical stripes on the couch and the diagonal patterns on the wall.

8. Talking of confusing lines...what's the deal with these? Talk about drawing the eye down tightly into the centre of the room. They really add to the claustrophobia in the image.

What's worse is that none of this seems deliberate, they don't even seem to know that this office is a visual mess. Not only that, but it's fairly disturbing. Why do Daisuke and the couch look so far away? What's going on with the perspective?

Wait, now that door from earlier looks normal. Why did it look so stretched earlier?

Oh God, it's really bad here. Just look at the wall behind his head, it practically looks like it's going to crush him.

Just to prove that the perspective is screwed up however you look at it, what's with this? Why does it look like it's being shot from a wide-angle lens? What's the purpose of making everything look so far away and strange?

Hang on, wasn't there a wardrobe in that left-hand corer? What's going with the geography of this tiny office? How can the cinematography and framing be so poor?

For reference, this is The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, a German Expressionist classic.

This is an insane asylum. The mise-en-scene has been deliberately constructed for the purpose of making the characters look trapped in a distorted, mad world.

Your normal office shouldn't remind me of this.

JKTrix

Lain said:
I'm with you man, even if just because for Diebuster I can listen, with Gunbuster I'm forced to read, as the DVD is subs only, no dub and for that reason alone, I still have to delve deeper than 5 minutes into Gunbuster!

Well lucky you. My DVDs of Diebuster do not have a dub, if I ever even wanted to try it. I bet your DVDs didn't cost $40 each for 2 episodes on each disc, either.

Jex

Branduil said:
Maybe everyone in that show is actually crazy?
A fascinating subtext, perhaps. But it actually seems more likely that they just don't understand how images build meaning.

Lain

JKTrix said:
Well lucky you. My DVDs of Diebuster do not have a dub, if I ever even wanted to try it. I bet your DVDs didn't cost $40 each for 2 episodes on each disc, either.

Well, that's true. They were 11,90€ each x6, 1 episode per DVD, which in a way is a lot when a 3-4 episode DVD costs between 19,90 and 21,90€ here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom