• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2010 Anime Thread: Reboots, Retreads, and Rediscovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Page 3 is dedicated to Legend of Basara

1zp09xc.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It's a shame we have no k-on this season. We might not be able to replicate the moe by day / mecha by night cycle.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
Also, lack of Tamayura in OP makes me sad. :(
I think the 2nd OVA release will be in Jan so Winter 2011? Probably why it isn't mentioned.

watervengeance said:
I was totally expecting a pimped out OP.
Same.

InfiniteNine said:
Well I'll add this to my to watch list.
In the meantime, more Hideyoshi.

trejo said:
Hey, he's my waifu!

Oh dear lord.
Oh, right. Hideyoshi was yours.

Dali

7Th said:
(Picture goes here)

OVAs:

Yozakura Quartet (Tatsunoko Production/KMMJ Studio) (Certified 7Th's choice!)

Reboot adaptation of the manga of the same name. I normally wouldn't even care, but DIRECTION, CHARACTER DESIGN AND ANIMATION DIRECTION BY RYOOCHIMO, FUCK YEAH! Trailer.

Holy crap this looks friggin' awesome . So why do I fall asleep every time I try to watch the series?

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun OVA (JC Staff)

Fuck yeah!

*cries to sleep from shame*

trejo said:
Let us put the summer thread behind us and not speak of it again.

Ever.
Unfortunately some of us have been branded for life by that thread.

7Th

Whoever edited my OP did a horrible job.

They need to add (Subtitled simulcasting by Crunchyroll) to Panty & Stocking, Sora no Otoshimono, Fortune Arterial, Ika-Musume, The World God Only Knows and Tegami Bachi 2, (Subtitled simulcasting by Funimation) to Kuragehime and (RAW simulcasting by Nico Nico) to Otome Youkai Zakuro, Little Sister, Star Driver, Tantei Opera Milky Holmes, Index 2, Togainu no Chi and Hakuoki 2.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
7Th said:
Whoever edited my OP did a horrible job.

They need to add (Subtitled simulcasting by Crunchyroll) to Panty & Stocking, Sora no Otoshimono, Fortune Arterial, Ika-Musume, The World God Only Knows and Tegami Bachi 2, (Subtitled simulcasting by Funimation) to Kuragehime and (RAW simulcasting by Nico Nico) to Otome Youkai Zakuro, Little Sister, Star Driver, Tantei Opera Milky Holmes, Index 2, Togainu no Chi and Hakuoki 2.
Your the OP fix it yourself.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Not much stuff for me this season D:

I'm going to watch Unicorn ep 2, and probably StarDriver, as Bones has not disappointed me yet
there is no Eureka Seven movie

Guess I could use this time to finally watch Turn A :)

Seems like there might be 2 or 3 watchable series. Though while I found the 1st Yozakura Quarter series good, if the designs (a lot more K-On/Lucky-Star esque) are anything to go by, I am not sure about this "reboot."

7Th said:
Another anime season, another thread of nostalgia bitches crying about how anime was much better in the past.
The use of the term "nostalgia" sort of implies that those who complain about how anime is now don't actively watch older anime.

I personally find it a bit difficult to watch more than a few minutes of the most anime that aired in the past few seasons. Even just a few years ago, there were probably 5-10+ good (and not just 'watchable') series running at a time.

Of course tastes vary. Someone who would find K-On! or Kodomo no Jikan anime masterpieces (which seems to be a lot of posters in the Summer Anime Thread) would probably have the complete opposite opinion. Though they are no less inclined to state their opinion as facts than "nostalgic fanboys." But more likely to not have actually watched plenty of old anime.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Unidentified said:
Of course tastes vary. Someone who would find K-On! or Kodomo no Jikan anime masterpieces (which seems to be a lot of posters in the Summer Anime Thread) would probably have the complete opposite opinion. Though they are no less inclined to state their opinion as facts than "nostalgic fanboys." But more likely to not have actually watched plenty of old anime.
I'd have a hard time understanding someone calling an extremely vapid anime, and a terrible adaption masterpieces.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Unidentified said:

I dislike K-On much as the next guy but that's a harsh grouping man :lol :lol :lol :lol

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Unidentified said:
Seems like there might be 2 or 3 watchable series. Though while I found the 1st Yozakura Quarter series good, if the designs (a lot more K-On/Lucky-Star esque) are anything to go by, I am not sure about this "reboot."

The use of the term "nostalgia" sort of implies that those who complain about how anime is now don't actively watch older anime.

I personally find it a bit difficult to watch more than a few minutes of the most anime that aired in the past few seasons. Even just a few years ago, there were probably 5-10+ good (and not just 'watchable') series running at a time.

This is all just awful.

7Th

Unidentified said:

The hell? Ryochimo's redesigns are a hundred times better than the closer-to-the-painfully-average-Suzuhito Yasuda's-originals that the first TV show had.

keyvisual.jpg

Unidentified said:

I actively watch older anime. Most of it is absolutely horrible and the genuinely great stuff like Anne of Green Gables or Belladona of Sadness is painfully under-appreciated.

jman2050

Hopefully awesome shit like Star Driver and Panty and Stocking will drown out all K-On nonsense forever.

Also, 2010 won't be complete unless Mirai Nikki comes out in December as scheduled :(

Geneijin

Unidentified said:
There were none who thought that.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Geneijin said:
There were none who thought that.
Well I'm pretty sure Vox-Pop thinks K-ON! is a masterpiece. I like the Kodomo no Jikan manga, but I wouldn't call that a masterpiece either. The anime is a piece of crap.

Geneijin

InfiniteNine said:
Well I'm pretty sure Vox-Pop thinks K-ON! is a masterpiece.
Always assumed he just really enjoyed it and whatnot. I don't think he ever praised it as a masterpiece or something equivalent unless I'm mistaken.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Geneijin said:
Always assumed he just really enjoyed it and whatnot. I don't think he ever praised it as a masterpiece.
You must have missed those times he did then, but he's an okay guy and isn't too crazy about praising it.

trejo

Yozakura Quartet ova looks pretty neat. Good character design really does add a ton.

The TV show looked painfully pedestrian to me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Unidentified said:
I hope in the next 10-20 years people will looking fondly back at the 00s because of shows like crest / banner, kemonozume, gurren lagann, monster, mushi-shi etc. And not because of shows like lucky star, clannad, strike witches argh.:lol

Also, i watch old anime. (in fact i just finished maison ikkoku the other day). And i totally disagree with the notion that 80s / 90s anime is objectively better than 00s anime. It's all subjective, although as i watch more anime i kinda flip-flop between what my preferred decade is.:D

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Lafiel said:
Also, i watch old anime. (in fact i just finished maison ikkoku the other day). And i totally disagree with the notion that 80s / 90s anime is objectively better than 00s anime. It's all subjective, although as i watch more anime i kinda flip-flop between what my preferred decade is.:D
Much of the shows I love are from the 00s, but there are some things from the 80s and 90s I wish they still did.

You know, like 19 year olds that actually look 19.

Geneijin

InfiniteNine said:
You must have missed those times he did then, but he's an okay guy and isn't too crazy about praising it.
Maybe I have then. I always assumed most of his praise regarding K-On was someone really entertained by it but not crazy enough to say such ridiculousness.

Well, there goes go that. So he did say so. I even posted in that thread too. Must have overlooked the choice of words used.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Hitokage said:
Much of the shows I love are from the 00s, but there are some things from the 80s and 90s I wish they still did.

You know, like 19 year olds that actually look 19.

19 year olds like me are pretty uguu~ these days old man.

You know we're never going to actually talk about anime at this rate. Not that I mind it or anything.

7Th said:
That 7Th fella is nothing but a bitch and a whore, nothing good will come from fraternizing with him.

You're just not moe enough for me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Lafiel said:
I hope in the next 10-20 years people will looking fondly back at the 00s because of shows like crest / banner, kemonozume, gurren lagann, monster, mushi-shi etc. And not because of shows like lucky star, clannad, strike witches argh.:lol

I really don't think it's so much a lack of quality shows in 2000's as it is fan pandering crap filling the gaps. Seems to me that 90's anime, and even early 2000's anime were more likely to try something totally new and not worry about pandering and marketability.

Some 2000's masterpieces for me...

Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey
Gankutsuou
Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Black Lagoon
Nodame Cantabile

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
And here I thought we were done talking about K-On. :lol
Well someone had to bring it up.

InfiniteNine said:
It actually would have been more entertaining for me if they went off on the Punk band route like KiraKira.
The next K-On will be like Nana then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom