• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
We see the results of those actions, i.e. ostracization. It's why Yuuta is so worried. If the show wasn't so light-hearted it'd be sad. It's also why Rikka clings to him so much.

"Comedic" bops on the head do not count as ostracization. Depicting a difference between batshit insane girl and normal people is not the same as doing anything about the actual issues insane girl has.

Dresden

"Comedic" bops on the head do not count as ostracization. Depicting a difference between batshit insane girl and normal people is not the same as doing anything about the actual issues insane girl has.

Must have missed the parts where Yuuta is reflecting on social isolation in episode one.

How about the fact that Yuuta is the only person she attempts to talk to because she sees her current self in his past and maybe she wants to mature like he did?

Well, it's more due to her spotting him doing his thing on the balcony above the gym. :p She's latching on because she's finally found (or so she thinks) someone who can play with her.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I feel the same way. It's decent so far, the action is good, it has Hanazawa Kana as a recurring character (who has a cute personality and a hime cut!). I can't help but think about everyone's comments about the source and the dialogue is just becoming harder to ignore.

The poetry quotes are coming on a little strong, but they don't bother me too much yet.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
How about the fact that Yuuta is the only person she attempts to talk to because she sees her current self in his past and maybe she wants to mature like he did?

Nebulous "but maybe she wants to act in a way completely different than she actually does (even though there's no evidence yet to support this)!!" arguments don't really mean much. If Kyoani really wanted to do that with Rikka, it would be extremely obvious (see: everything in Hyouka). But, the direction, writing, and events so far in Chuunibyou have not gone in that direction at all.

Thoraxes

reverse-1327430311_camck1j.gif

Woah, there's enough Miyako for everyone.

Let's not spill blood here gentlemen.

It's KyoAni, they will do the cute girls doing cute things thing in the most harmless way. AURA in 2013 is the real thing about delusions.

I think Hidamari Sketch will be the first thing I watch when I get back to anime.
can't ignore it any longer.

Yuno, a day without Hidamari is a bad day.

yunoroll2rwq8x.gif

Thoraxes

Im sorta childish too so I don't really understand the problem with Rikka. She's imaginative. So what??

B-b-but she's not realistic in her depiction of her mental illness! They need to have an episode where they go to a doctor, do a mental profile of her with multiple counselors and psychiatrists, have her go to rehab, and be on a lot of drugs to correct her eventual hormonal imbalance and depression!

cajunator

Banned
B-b-but she's not realistic in her depiction of her mental illness! They need to have an episode where they go to a doctor, do a mental profile of her with multiple counselors and psychiatrists, have her go to rehab, and be on a lot of drugs to correct her eventual hormonal imbalance and depression!

That sounds like such an exciting premise!
No wait, it totally doesnt :(

Tomat

I think I liked the first episode of Robotics;Notes. It was kind of relaxing.

Fantastic
From the New World

Great
Psycho-Pass
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Zetsuen no Tempest
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Sukitte Ii na yo
Space Brothers

Good
Magi
Chuunibyou
Kamisama Hajimemashita

Average, but enjoyable
Robotics;Notes
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Jormungand: Perfect Order
Medaka Box Abnormal
Bakuman 3

Mediocre
Ixion Saga DT
Code:Breaker
BTOOOM!

Poor; close to dropping
Girls Und Panzer
K

Dropped
Busou Shinki
To Love-ru Darkness

Still watching, though I clearly shouldn't be
Muv-Luv: Total Eclipse

Abysmal as a sequel; decent as a stand-alone (for now)
Eureka Seven AO

Hatewatch
Little Busters
Second half of Sword Art Online (first half was quite enjoyable)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I like it because it shows the issues that people face when they need to choose when to grow up. For some people it's harder than others, which is why I liked the first episode (because it showed the contrast between those people). The age range is really good for depicting that too.

This so-called "fourteen-year-old disease" works as a vivid representative amalgamation of the various immature behaviors that children are forced to give up as they age, and if the events of the series were meant to be symbolic instead of literal it would potentially ease my concerns toward Rikka, but taken at face-value and not as a representation of anything else, the "disease" just isn't something that I associate with the struggles of coming of age. Children certainly have wild imaginations, but an imagination so overactive that it completely obliterates one's ability to perceive reality as it actually is isn't relatable to me personally.

Yuuta's struggle to overcome his past and gain acceptance among his peers is actually my favorite thing about the show. If this was a story about him battling against his own eccentric tendencies, the content would be much more believable and I'd enjoy it a lot more. If we're talking about being able to relate to the difficulty that some people face in gaining maturity, the scene in the first episode where Yuuta is absolutely flabbergasted by a simple invitation to have lunch with a group of other students is the kind of thing I'm looking for--that immediately made me think "yeah, that was me at fifteen". If Rikka was, say, the same as Yuuta--delusional tendencies but earnest in a desire to gain social acceptance in spite of these quirks--the character dynamics would have more potential to go in some interesting places. Personally, I generally don't like any personality trait taken to an extreme.

Robotics;Notes 01

Kaito's so terrible. He's lazy, irresponsible, and spends all his time playing video games
and thus reminds too much of myself

You're at least better than him if you don't think that being good at a single game entitles you to be a huge dick to anyone who asks for your assistance with anything!

Tomat

You're at least better than him if you don't think that being good at a single game entitles you to be a huge dick to anyone who asks for your assistance with anything!
Ehh, I don't really think he was being a huge dick. If he was he woulda told em to fuck off.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

c'mon man, don't caricature my opinion when I'm trying to have a reasonable discussion.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Robotics;Notes 01
Seems okay. I'm way less down on this than many other people. Characters seemed likable enough to me and the semi/sorta future world is one that I like. There's something lethargic about the way it moves though, and some of the scenes just sort of fall flat on their face like the guy spitting in the other guys face. It's obvious even to me that the direction isn't super strong, but whatever.
Like half of the time people are trying to take advantage of him anyways.

Narag

Psycho-Pass 1

Pretty great first ep. I found it rather engrossing as the time just flew by. The obvious flaw that I've seen mentioned is the exposition dumping. I'm hoping it's just a conceit on the behalf of the showrunners to get it all out of the way so they can tell the story they want without feeling hampered but we'll see. Show hit all the other marks to please me though what with the setting, general aesthetic, soundtrack, and characters.

I feel like I better understand Akane's character design on top of it all given she's exactly what she looks like: naive and idealistic. Those expressive eyes of hers are going to be abused as the show goes forth. Everyone else is either crazy, hardass, or somewhere in-between and their design reflects that.

The Sibyl Judgement/Psycho-Pass stuff feels pretty fresh, at least it does to me. It's interesting how being flagged by the system is enough to apparently ruin one's life if the actions of this week's perp was any indication. It's also pretty interesting how crime is apparently treated like an infection. The caduceus on the jacket, the idea of latent criminals as if they're carrying a disease in remission, and the possibility of it being contagious are all cool stuff, doubly so since the system appears flawed early on in how it handles things what with victims being possible criminals due to psychological trauma. I wouldn't be surprised if some (or all) of the Enforcers under the Inspectors' command were once
Inspectors themselves but flagged due to either stress or actions taken in the line of duty.

Another little touch I liked was how that CG police van was animated as if it had weight on a suspension system. I figured I'd see it just glide along the road but nope. That was a nice surprise. Good stuff all around.

Tomat

Robotics;Notes 01
Seems okay. I'm way less down on this than many other people. Characters seemed likable enough to me and the semi/sorta future world is one that I like. There's something lethargic about the way it moves though, and some of the scenes just sort of fall flat on their face like the guy spitting in the other guys face. It's obvious even to me that the direction isn't super strong, but whatever.

You got good opinions, dimb.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Eh, as I saw it, anyone that notices that he's just standing around with his face in his tablet is going to think that he's not busy, which isn't exactly a bad reason to ask for someone's assistance.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Eh, as I saw it, anyone that notices that he's just standing around with his face in his tablet is going to think that he's not busy, which isn't exactly a bad reason to ask for someone's assistance.
Sure you can ask but it's not his job to take out the trash.

Thoraxes

c'mon man, don't caricature my opinion when I'm trying to have a reasonable discussion.

I know. I'm poking fun at the fact that I think you guys are being way critical of the show because it isn't what you think it should be if you were to depict the handling of the delusions and the contrast between the two realities, rather than basing it on what it is and how it's being presented. I don't see a lot of people mentioning specifics about the show it self or providing clear examples by giving clear cases of a particular scene and how it could've been different to fit the narrative they had in mind for the show. What i'm looking for in particular is more specificity than lumping the whole show into one bucket.

I actually wasn't intending that response to be for you specifically, but just kind of a general poking of the beehive on the issues people have with the show because I just find over-the-top dislike to be something that's funny to me regardless of what that dislike is towards.

If you read my other post:

Maybe not the way you want them to, but I think there was a ridiculously stark contrast between the "normal" people and the "delusional" people. In a show like this, just showing that much was enough for me, and if you delve to far into mental psychology education and psychological profiling, it just wouldn't make for good anime with the source material that kyoani is working with.

I think something like you guys all seem to want would fit better as a noitaminA show. With something like that kind of show in that kind of programming, they'd be able to delve more into the realism of what a lot of people seem to have falsely hoped this show would have.

I honestly do believe that the thing a lot of people are looking for in this show is a show more along the lines of something that would be in noitaminA, if anything. A lot of people keep going on and on about realism, when I think that this show handles itself pretty well as being a quasi light-hearted romcom that is a cartoon. I don't think the show is meant to have the more serious messages people seem to be looking for.

I don't think the show is meant to be entirely relatable, and I thought it was pretty obvious the show itself is a caricaturization of the symptoms of it, because over-emphasization well, usually leads to light humor. That it's done in such a literal sense is supposed to be funny, because it escalates something that isn't, and through the power of the medium they're able to show you exactly how far it really goes, which usually is beyond expectations of any human expectancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom