• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvrave - 14

Wow. Almost everything I complained about from the last episode got addressed here. Well sort of.

The body-jacking is used to fool two guys to get the ship to land, and the stuff with Akira gets addressed. And its revealed that she's more or less the same as she was before as the closed-up kind of girl after a traumatic childhood. Well, the flashback scenes were well done in this episode. At least, for the most part. I mean, where the hell did this kid learn how to hack?

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito: Episode 6

Another book this time with tiger and a loli with eyes too big for her head. I wished it was a lion so that all the new characters in this episode were to do with chocolate bars.

Hopefully Episode 7 is more interesting than this one.

cajunator

Banned
But it's, so, so, ugly!

This must be another say to say glorious fuwafuwa

but i like oranges

Oranges are acceptable.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito: Episode 6

Another book this time with tiger and a loli with eyes too big for her head. I wished it was a lion so that all the new characters in this episode were to do with chocolate bars.

Hopefully Episode 7 is more interesting than this one.

Your journey into mindfuckville continues. I hope you brought a towel.

Muv luv alternative - 017

Lol , OUR main character Yuuya bridges managed to turn this anime that was quite serious from a love hate relation ship , then a love triangle and now a international harem relationship ( japan, russia , russia ( again ) , china , usa ) with some hate-sex with a guy.

I have no words.

Wait takamura got drunk on orange juice ?

t8OqoJJ.jpg

Wonder what the neighbours would think.

Go_Ly_Dow

VVVvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV 21

OMFG THERE'S SO MUCH TO TAKE IN

SHOKO YOU BITCH. I NEVER SUPPORTED YOU. SHORT HAIRED CHARACTER IS SHITTY CHARACTER ONCE AGAIN

THE SCHOOL MASSACERE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!111

.......................Yamada :( what a manly way to go out :(

PLEASE COME BACK L-ELF

i gotta go ly dow,

duckroll

Tamako Market Ep9:
Episode Director/Storyboard: Ichirou Miyoshi (Kigami)
Animation Director: Nao Naito

KyoAnus no Kanata Ep11:

Get ready for a tremendous waste of talent next week! :)

Theonik

Tamako Market Ep9:

KyoAnus no Kanata Ep11:

Or the best KnK episode!

Muv luv alternative Total eclipse - 18

What are you doing china ? i know that being agressive is sometimes a valid tactic but holy crap ..what the heck was that .
And what's with that answer japan ? even if you realised something , just evade the question or deflect the attack , your dominant position on the battlefield is not that weak.!

About russia : i had my doubts but now i'm sure the dominant one ....is the little girl , WHAT A TWIST ... now some things do make sense now and this impression is reinforced by the flashback i actually got.
I wonder why i didn't realise this sooner ? it was probably the power of loli deception.

Is yuuya going to learn swordfighting or not ? Or will i be stuck in this international harem drama sub plot untill the serie ends ???

Go_Ly_Dow

Tamako Market Ep9:

KyoAnus no Kanata Ep11:

shut up. you love it really

jediyoshi

Tamako Market Ep9:

KyoAnus no Kanata Ep11:

Ai episode, please and thanks

Hey AnimeGAF. Been a couple OTs since I last posted, back when I had just gotten into watching anime starting with GIRLS und PANZER and a few other things. I generally avoid this thread because 1) it moves way to goddamn fast, and 2) I don't really watch "new" stuff since I have such a huge back catalogue to get through and I generally like to watch stuff on my own terms rather than be beholden to 30 minute chunks of story once a week.

So I've since watched a ton, and since I'm kind of bored (and at the time I'm writing this currently serving an undeserved ban) I've decided to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and just write down some thoughts on what I've been watching the past few months.

The highlights:

K-On! - I can certainly understand why K-On! has its own community thread. Show was hilarious. Clever, witty, didn't really rely on perversion or unnecessary boob jokes (outside of Sawako picking out a disguised Ui). I would say my only disappointment is almost that I would have liked more music and less tea and cake. The music really is catchy and a combination of watching this and the general positive impressions of Rocksmith 2014 had pushed me into picking up a guitar of my own.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Awesome show. Loved the characters, loved the writing. For reference, I watched it in "mostly" chronological order, I think I had a couple episodes out of order. Only real issue was the "Endless Eight" episodes. It was interesting for the first couple, but by 5-6-7 it was getting tiresome. And as good as the series was, "Disappearance" was on a whole other level. Absolutely fantastic, probably my favorite thing I've watched thus far.

Alright, then digging through my history, here's what I can remember of the rest and a little blurb about them.

Seitokai No Ichizon - Student Councils Discretion - First season was OK, thought the second season was a lot funnier.
Saki - I found the mahjong stuff strangely compelling, rest of the "slice of life" stuff awkward and kind of off putting.
YuruYuri - Series was ok, had its moments. A couple of weeks after I finished the series I found out what the term "Yuri" meant, and then the show made a lot more sense.
The IdolM@ster - Not bad. Did a pretty good job of having so many important characters, while giving everyone adequate screentime.
White Album - First thing I really watched that wasn't a comedy. I enjoyed it despite finding reasons to dislike just about every character in the show. I think Rina was like the only character that I didn't hate and felt acted generally rational the whole time. Will certainly watch White Album 2 when the series finishes and I can watch it at my own pace.
Tamako Market - Largely inoffensive. Watched it because it was from the K-On people, but just "good, not great." It was "cute" like K-On, but lacked a lot of the humor and wit.
Love Live! School Idol Project - Like IdolM@ster but less memorable.
School Days - ...fuck.

Aborted viewings:

Lucky Star - Dunno. The art and animation turned me off and I just wasn't finding it funny.
My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy - I got like halfway through the first episode and thought "this is too dumb even for me." I think I saw some impressions that it gets better? Maybe I'll give it another shot when the series ends.
Chronicles of the Going Home Club - Hey, that little baby seal that pops up occasionally is kind of cute, but three episodes in and I'm not really laughing and it doesn't seem like the show is going anywhere.

Currently watching:

Little Busters! - I enjoyed the first season. Decent balance between dumb humor and some serious drama. Then I thought Refrain started off incredibly well. First 4-5 episodes were great! But,
then for some inexplicible reason Riki and Rin get amnesia, Kyousuke turns emo, Masato goes on a roid rage, and now there's some dumb Blues Brothers-esque "we're putting the band back together!" plotline that just feels like time-filler. I'm in this deep so I'll finish it but its disappointing given how much of it I had enjoyed.
Love Lab - I picked this up because I desperately wanted something dumb and silly after watching School Days. Only a couple episodes in as of writing this. I think the plot/premise is incredibly stupid, but there's been enough good jokes to keep me watching. "Well, good luck dropping that big one." Also, Huggy.

wonzo

Banned
Maji de Otaku na English! Ribbon-chan: Eigo de Tatakau Mahou Shoujo 10-12 END

majiota11.jpg

There's something about Yuu Kobayashi saying this in broken english that really breathes life back into this tired old joke.

Muv-luv Alternatice Total Eclipse - 19

This was the best onsen episode i've seen in a while !

Muv-Luv%20Alternative_%20Total%20Eclipse%20-%2019.jpg

Good luck against that opponent

Little russia girl is clearly the strongest foe ... That was like splendid

Can't wait to see how they will handle the drama.
That scene at the end was fantastic.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
SaiKano 9

Let the depression train keep on rolling...

Jesus fucking christ.

KILL la KILL 9

SHIT WAS SO FUCKING LEWD

THE WHIP OF LOVE...FROM THE CROTCH!!!!
OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Gamagoori I fucking love you.

Infinite Stratos S2 9

Get used to having your heartbroken kid. Ichika does it to everyone.

OH FUCK THIS. Another diabolus ex machina? Hell, you couldn't event the match started first! F-. See me after class.

Oh you better not
fucking kill Russia off.
Well
She might as well be dead now because she's part of the harem. It's over folks pack it up. So long, Russia the troll.

Man this show is just all of the place tonally. I do like it more when it's not being a fucking fanservice wankfest.

Valvrave the Liberator S2 8

Wow talk about a way to imprison someone. That's fucked up.
What what if the future kid isn't L-Elf's but A-drei's & Rukino's? Hmm. I might be forgetting some clues.

Microphone/recording device earring maybe?

After the shit ARUS tried to pull on you guys, you still want their help? Man, shit's gonna get bad.

HOW DID YOU NOT NOTICE THE WHOLE FUCKING TIME THE SHE WAS MISSING

Golden Time 9

I'm really liking the pacing and tone of the show. I could probably do without Ghost Banri but

WHAT WHAT WHAT

Chronicles of the Going Home Club - Hey, that little baby seal that pops up occasionally is kind of cute, but three episodes in and I'm not really laughing and it doesn't seem like the show is going anywhere.

Eh. I'd say try watching the 4th episode because it gets funnier. If you don't like that one either then bail.

There is a big wall between my windows and the rest of the city ( true story ). Nobody can see if i hang something there.

i trully have no problem with this

Hehe. No worries. Just a bad joke from me.

cajunator

Banned
Hey AnimeGAF. Been a couple OTs since I last posted, back when I had just gotten into watching anime starting with GIRLS und PANZER and a few other things. I generally avoid this thread because 1) it moves way to goddamn fast, and 2) I don't really watch "new" stuff since I have such a huge back catalogue to get through and I generally like to watch stuff on my own terms rather than be beholden to 30 minute chunks of story once a week.

So I've since watched a ton, and since I'm kind of bored (and at the time I'm writing this currently serving an undeserved ban) I've decided to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and just write down some thoughts on what I've been watching the past few months.

The highlights:

K-On! - I can certainly understand why K-On! has its own community thread. Show was hilarious. Clever, witty, didn't really rely on perversion or unnecessary boob jokes (outside of Sawako picking out a disguised Ui). I would say my only disappointment is almost that I would have liked more music and less tea and cake. The music really is catchy and a combination of watching this and the general positive impressions of Rocksmith 2014 had pushed me into picking up a guitar of my own.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Awesome show. Loved the characters, loved the writing. For reference, I watched it in "mostly" chronological order, I think I had a couple episodes out of order. Only real issue was the "Endless Eight" episodes. It was interesting for the first couple, but by 5-6-7 it was getting tiresome. And as good as the series was, "Disappearance" was on a whole other level. Absolutely fantastic, probably my favorite thing I've watched thus far.

Alright, then digging through my history, here's what I can remember of the rest and a little blurb about them.

Seitokai No Ichizon - Student Councils Discretion - First season was OK, thought the second season was a lot funnier.
Saki - I found the mahjong stuff strangely compelling, rest of the "slice of life" stuff awkward and kind of off putting.
YuruYuri - Series was ok, had its moments. A couple of weeks after I finished the series I found out what the term "Yuri" meant, and then the show made a lot more sense.
The IdolM@ster - Not bad. Did a pretty good job of having so many important characters, while giving everyone adequate screentime.
White Album - First thing I really watched that wasn't a comedy. I enjoyed it despite finding reasons to dislike just about every character in the show. I think Rina was like the only character that I didn't hate and felt acted generally rational the whole time. Will certainly watch White Album 2 when the series finishes and I can watch it at my own pace.
Tamako Market - Largely inoffensive. Watched it because it was from the K-On people, but just "good, not great." It was "cute" like K-On, but lacked a lot of the humor and wit.
Love Live! School Idol Project - Like IdolM@ster but less memorable.
School Days - ...fuck.

Aborted viewings:

Lucky Star - Dunno. The art and animation turned me off and I just wasn't finding it funny.
My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy - I got like halfway through the first episode and thought "this is too dumb even for me." I think I saw some impressions that it gets better? Maybe I'll give it another shot when the series ends.

Currently watching:

Little Busters! - I enjoyed the first season. Decent balance between dumb humor and some serious drama. Then I thought Refrain started off incredibly well. First 4-5 episodes were great! But,
then for some inexplicible reason Riki and Rin get amnesia, Kyousuke turns emo, Masato goes on a roid rage, and now there's some dumb Blues Brothers-esque "we're putting the band back together!" plotline that just feels like time-filler. I'm in this deep so I'll finish it but its disappointing given how much of it I had enjoyed.
Love Lab - I picked this up because I desperately wanted something dumb and silly after watching School Days. Only a couple episodes in as of writing this. I think the plot/premise is incredibly stupid, but there's been enough good jokes to keep me watching. "Well, good luck dropping that big one." Also, Huggy.

Nice writeups. I agree with the ones Ive seen and what you said a bout backlogs and cliffhanger viewings. I prefer to wait for most shows to finish before following them.
That said, you should check out Yuusibu. It has been so much fun to watch every week. Fino is a cutie and the characters are pretty much likeable and the art is good.

Yeah....no

duckroll

This is mostly just for Branduil, because of our eternal friendship.

Ishidate had some comments about the final two episodes of Kyoanus no Kanata in the interviews for this month's anime magazines. He said ep11 has tons of action and will be the spectacle episode. It had a lot of cuts, and Kigami said he hasn't felt this pressured in ages. Ishidate also said that the final episode will have a ton of cuts and he couldn't believe there were so many himself.

* - (A cut is a single continuous shot of animation.)

Muv-luv Alternatice Total Eclipse - 19

This was the best onsen episode i've seen in a while !

Little russia girl is clearly the strongest foe ... That was like splendid

Can't wait to see how they will handle the drama.
That scene at the end was fantastic.

The show should suck and be complete garbage but for some reason it actually works.

really hard to choose who the best girl is though.

Muv luv alternative - 20

Woow.

WOW

what

WHAT

That turn of events isn't fair

Muv luv alternative became serious , very serious , so serious.so suddenly.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 7

"Summon the spirit!"
"I can't."
"Picture him raping me."
"MUST KILL BAD MAN!" (though I guess he was composed about feeling it)

Fear of rape motivates Sousuke, what else can be said?

I like how the surrounding area looks like some kind of well-adjusted middle-class model American living room out of Kohl's catalogue.

Now if they were more honest about the whole thing...

0wBko1i.png

LMAO

Muv Luv Alternative - 21

My excitement for this show is rising very fast considering this is obviously the finale..

I'm still cautious , this could be an awesome finale or something like a total failure.

They really well all out for such story. Total serious mode since episode 20 .Can't believe they dared to do that.

CorvoSol

Shin Mazinger Z 13

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

TSUBASA NISHKIORI, the mistress of Kurogane bath house and mob boss is also Kouji and Shiro's mother!? Where did that even come from? How is it that Kouji doesn't know? How does that HAPPEN!? Wasn't this lady Dr. Hell's girlfriend? Isn't she also Baron Asura's "Mother"? HOW MANY PEOPLE HAS THIS WOMAN PHYSICALLY AND OR THEORETICALLY BANGED?

No seriously, that post-end of episode reveal was so flipping insane that I don't even have anything to say about the rest of this episode. I'm just sitting here going "WUT."

Jarmel

Banned
Shin Mazinger Z 13

TSUBASA NISHKIORI, the mistress of Kurogane bath house and mob boss is also Kouji and Shiro's mother!? Where did that even come from? How is it that Kouji doesn't know? How does that HAPPEN!? Wasn't this lady Dr. Hell's girlfriend? Isn't she also Baron Asura's "Mother"? HOW MANY PEOPLE HAS THIS WOMAN PHYSICALLY AND OR THEORETICALLY BANGED?

No seriously, that post-end of episode reveal was so flipping insane that I don't even have anything to say about the rest of this episode. I'm just sitting here going "WUT."

Yea it's some stupid shit. Especially the part about Kouji not knowing. She wasn't involved with Dr.Hell romantically though. The Asura thing is more figurative than literal.

CorvoSol

Yea it's some stupid shit. Especially the part about Kouji not knowing. She wasn't involved with Dr.Hell romantically though. The Asura thing is more figurative than literal.

I was hoping this was all some crazy, sick joke on Stroheim's part. Now it's for real?

Wait, what if
Lorelei is Shiro's sister, then? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jex

Shin Mazinger Z 13

Imagawa. Roll with it.

Jarmel

Banned
I was hoping this was all some crazy, sick joke on Stroheim's part. Now it's for real?

Wait, what if
Lorelei is Shiro's sister, then? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Now you can start to see why I thought that whole arc was shit.

Be prepared for family drama because that's a big part of the series.

lol

Muv luv alternative - 22

Omg Shit gotten real.

That was an awesome episode ..really

Muv-Luv%20Alternative_%20Total%20Eclipse%20-%2022.jpg

Oh hell yes

Our hero goes on the offensive against 24 ennemies, without anmo forced to go close range and against 8 craft armed with guided missiles ? Oh hell YES !!!!!

The story went up in term of quality ..that was seriously awesome.

Next , we have devious kamikaze tactics, some serious political moments and the terorrists actually doing some bold things that will shit over everyone to the point that the current world map wll be obsolete.

If that wasn't enough , the factions are double crossing themselves and our heroes are left without options and forced to adopt the risky way leading to next episode that will srurely be a clash to remember.
Muv-Luv%20Alternative_%20Total%20Eclipse%20-%2022_2.jpg

Next episode started ! itsgonnabegood.gif
THIS IS AN AWESOME final arc.
So many deaths , so many moments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom