• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvrave - 15: Uh-oh, we've got another one!

Valvrave - 16:
Annnnnd we lose that other one really fast. A shame too. Kind of heartbreaking seeing her give that whole "new memories" speech before biting the dust. Also, A-drei turns out to be not as much of an asshole that I thought he was.

Valvrave - 17:
Well crap. This entire "resigning as human being" things just got a hell of a lot more complicated.

Valvrave - 18:
Wow pops, you're kind of an asshole. Seriously, calling a map of science things your "son". Wow dude. Just wow.

Valvrave - 19:
Aw man, poor L-Elf...that princess didn't deserve that...Hey wait a minute, aren't you people forgetting somebody?

Valvrave - 20 SERIOUSLY.
HOW THE HELL DID YOU PEOPLE FORGET ABOUT HER? DID YOU NOT NOTICE THERE WERE MORE UNITS THAN PILOTS? NOW LOOK WHAT YOU PEOPLE HAVE DONE.

VaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHLVRAVE - 21

At first I was all:
OhCrapCodeGeass.jpg

But then I was all:
lelouch-laughs-o.gif

Theonik

Scramble Wars - Tsuppashire! Genom Trophy Rally
Basically Wacky Races but with characters from old AIC OVA series, you get characters from Bubblegum Crisis, Gal Force, Riding Bean, AD Police, Genesis Survivor Gaiarth, and many more racing in weird cars based on their respective universes.
The character designs are also exaggerated for comedic effect (SD) and the choice of music and the animation both effectively convey the mood of the special.
You get all the expressiveness you'd expect from an 80s fanservice cross-over comedy and I think the OVA accomplished its goal well.
Basically if you've watched at least one of the Series/OVAs above you are probably going to enjoy this.
As you will enjoy the awesomely unnecessary mechanical sakuga.

cajunator

Banned
Scramble Wars - Tsuppashire! Genom Trophy Rally

Basically Wacky Races but with characters from old AIC OVA series, you get characters from Bubblegum Crisis, Gal Force, Riding Bean, AD Police, Genesis Survivor Gaiarth, and many more racing in weird cars based on their respective universes.
The character designs are also exaggerated for comedic effect (SD) and the choice of music and the animation both effectively convey the mood of the special.
You get all the expressiveness you'd expect from an 80s fanservice cross-over comedy and I think the OVA accomplished its goal well.
Basically if you've watched at least one of the Series/OVAs above you are probably going to enjoy this.
As will you the awesomely unnecessary mechanical sakuga.

This sounds like something I must see.

cajunator

Banned
LBqtKhA.jpg

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*breathes

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

*pant pant

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CorvoSol

Now you can start to see why I thought that whole arc was shit.

Be prepared for family drama because that's a big part of the series.

lol

I'm fine with family drama, but that certainly does seem to be a thing for Imagawa. I mean just look at how much of G Gundam turned out to be family drama. And that worked out splendidly.

Imagawa. Roll with it.

Half the stuff I didn't even question, like a Super Alloy Z Pickaxe, but this one made me stop for a minute.

Getter Robo 12

jY5vSgE.jpg

I am honestly convinced this is the most evil character in the show. How do you NOT explain why
you chose Ryo over Hayato
and then get mad when everyone doubts your decision?

Andrew J.

VVV 21

I've said this before, but I believe it now more strongly than ever: The only thing keeping this show from being a full-fledged successor to Code Geass is the lack of fanservice.

That's actually one of the most interesting things about the show to me, considering the lack of restraint in every other conceivable respect. I wonder if there are a relatively high number of women on the production committee or something.

Gazoinks

Clannad 23

Cute bonus episode. I think the series proper could've benefited from more one-off episodes like this instead of spending time on boring arcs. Was sweet, was funny, moved the characters forward, had Akio in it. All good things!

Muv luv alternative - 23

The death toll keep growing

Muv-Luv%20Alternative_%20Total%20Eclipse%20-%2023.jpg

So now you've started to think ?

I have to admit , it's always great when a character has made a mistake and realise that he made this mistake.Unfortunatly , when you're basicly killing the human race i'd say that you should think a little more.
Sure you were used , and you didn't know about the "line" but you should have thought a little more about it ( when you knew ) instead of giving your speech.
It doesn't matter either way since the master mind trully had covered all the bases. that scene was stupid i want to believe that was brainwashing at work but damn if that wasn't badly executed (pun indended )

So the cast fight against all the odds ..damn research facility , so had that many subjects on hand ? Talk about bad ressources management. i don't even know how they managed to capture so many.( including the laser class lol )

So now , final episode , russian loli is as predicted except that i didn't expect the little cliffanger.

What was the point of the refugee front ? Elections ?WTF .. your race is getting decimated slowly ( but surely ) and you're asking for elections ?I don't have the words.

CorvoSol

Macross 12

Oh ho, are we shipping Hikaru and Lt. Hayase now? Why yes, yes we are! They go so far as to get her to let her hair down and of course the brilliant escape plan boils down to Hikaru and Lt. Hayase putting on a show to give whoever comes to catch them a shock-boner. Also I guess that female Zentradi get cool mechs while male Zentradi only get Battle Pods.

My money is on Minmay having hooked up with someone else by this point, so that Hayase and Hikaru can happen.

Muv Luv Alternative Total eclipse - 24 (end)

So this serie ends..

I have mixed feeligns , there are some things this series does VERY WELL and you can feel the potential this serie has ..... It just doesn't reach them.

The cast was the highlight of the show: lot of blanter between yuuya and yui at first , then the team talk came in , followed by plenty of tragic events ALL OVER THE PLACE . Trully i liked it !! The cast chemistry was very high and their dialogs spot-on .

In term of plot , This anime needs at least 12 more episodes ..don't get me wrong this was a pretty good final arc , even if the final was slightly underwhelming The anime does show that the cast grew a little but most of the issues presented by the anime itself are still there

-Shiranui is still incomplete
-The beta threat is there
-the political climate is still a mess ( the reason why the refugies got manipulated )
-the guy with red hair has his sights on japan for some reason
-russia is still planning to quadruple crossing everyone
-The love diamond is as strong as ever
And the list goes on. This is a little bit much to leave unsolved.

In terms of animation, it was very good . The cg animation worked kudos to those who made it.
The music themes were above average but no special music themes are that special IMO.

In conclusion :
A good attempt at mecha anime with a story that goes somewhere even if it isn't solved.
8/10
Ps: so many deaths i liked that the anime wasn't afraid to show how ugly this war was but maybe that was because i was watching the blu-rays.

Gazoinks

Clannad Another World: Tomoyo

Aw this was surprisingly sad and sweet.
Although I think I'd kind of preferred it if Tomoyo moved on, but I guess that'd defy magic protag powers that make the world revolve around you.
I felt like I actually felt Tomoya more as a character here than in most of the main series. I liked the focus on his development and him as a person, wish they'd done more of that earlier on. These last two episodes have been some of the best in the series, maybe partly because they were OVAs. This episode had more emotional ups and downs and development than around 2/3 of the series proper.

This whole Another World thing is a good idea, and I'm surprised it's not more common for VN adaptations to do.

Hulu why are you autoplaying Watamote I don't want to watch that.

Syrinx

Kino's Journey 2

Didn't know the title of this episode would be so literal.

I like how Kino's revolver really makes a loud and echoing noise when shot. Generally something I love when well executed. Makes the impact of the shot on the viewer more powerful.

Kino's struggle with killing the rabbits for those three men was a constant throughout the episode. Really captured in the end when she(?) realizes who these men were and ended up killing them out of self-defense, and then looking back at the furs hanging on the branch, thinking how she ended three rabbits' lives to help three men who were scum and who she ended up killing anyway. Then unable to answer the question Hermes asked as to whether she would do it again.

The world in this show seems pretty vast, and there are some dark tales within it.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 2

Didn't know the title of this episode would be so literal.

I like how Kino's revolver really makes a loud and echoing noise when shot. Generally something I love when well executed. Makes the impact of the shot on the viewer more powerful.

Kino's struggle with killing the rabbits for those three men was a constant throughout the episode. Really captured in the end when she(?) realizes who these men were and ended up killing them out of self-defense, and then looking back at the furs hanging on the branch, thinking how she ended three rabbits' lives to help three men who were scum and who she ended up killing anyway. Then unable to answer the question Hermes asked as to whether she would do it again.

The world in this show seems pretty vast, and there are some dark tales within it.

Dude that series is sooooooooooooooooooooo good. Not even in a "cajun likes everything" way but a legitimate masterpiece way.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
LBqtKhA.jpg

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*breathes

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

*pant pant

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One day I will inject you with Ritalin.

Muv Luv Alternative Total eclipse - 24 (end)

So this serie ends..

I have mixed feeligns , there are some things this series does VERY WELL and you can feel the potential this serie has ..... It just doesn't reach them.

The cast was the highlight of the show: lot of blanter between yuuya and yui at first , then the team talk came in , followed by plenty of tragic events ALL OVER THE PLACE . Trully i liked it !! The cast chemistry was very high and their dialogs spot-on .

In term of plot , This anime needs at least 12 more episodes ..don't get me wrong this was a pretty good final arc , even if the final was slightly underwhelming The anime does show that the cast grew a little but most of the issues presented by the anime itself are still there

In conclusion :
A good attempt at mecha anime with a story that goes somewhere even if it isn't solved.
8/10
Ps: so many deaths i liked that the anime wasn't afraid to show how ugly this war was but maybe that was because i was watching the blu-rays.

The original Muv-luv Alternative Total Eclipse light novel series haven't concluded yet, so it pretty much had to stop there.

Although, if you liked this anime, I would highly recommend picking up the Muv-luv VN trilogy: Muv-luv Extra, Muv-luv Unlimited, and Muv-luv Alternative in that order. It's the main storyline that Total Eclipse was spun off from, and there are fan translations out there. While Extra and Unlimited are completely unlike the tone of what you've seen in Total Eclipse, it's meant to build up to Alternative which is amazing.

Heysoos

I feel like I need to stop paying for Crunchyroll. It stutters like crazy, constant mid episode freezings, ending the stream mid episode, and just overall crappy performance from their web player. Are there any decent alternatives?

I have Netflix and Hulu Plus. I know Hulu has some of the same as Crunchy, but I think they get episodes much later, at least I think.

I feel like I need to stop paying for Crunchyroll. It stutters like crazy, constant mid episode freezings, ending the stream mid episode, and just overall crappy performance from their web player. Are there any decent alternatives?

I have Netflix and Hulu Plus. I know Hulu has some of the same as Crunchy, but I think they get episodes much later, at least I think.

I'd say 2/3-3/4ths of whatever is on Crunchyroll winds up on hulu eventually. Yeah they're behind on some stuff, like Samurai Flemanco, but other stuff like Copellion and Freezing etc are day and date with Crunchyroll.

I gave up on Crunchyroll for that reason. That and their PS3 player was shitty for a long time. Tons of freezing up and being unable to scroll through the menus.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
KLK 10

I've officially given up hoping for competent fight choreography out of this show. This makes, what, three opponents in a row that have largely been immobile objects? Gamagoori stood in place and attacked with tentacles. Inumuta stood in place to analyze Ryuko
and then attacked while invisible
. Nonon
just turned into a giant hulking ship thing that attacks with beams and missiles while it floats in the sky
. Hell, we know it'll be four in a row when Uzu gets his turn because this was already the case with him in his first fight. The elite guard's powers basically feel like they were designed around being as cheap to animate as possible while still appearing threatening and imposing.

I mean, I'm not discounting the various examples of good animation in the episode--Nonon got a lavish magical girl transformation sequence and there were several brief moments where Ryuko actually did some impressive move or other--but an ostensibly action-oriented show from staff with a pedigree of extremely dynamic and well-animated action sequences that doesn't have much in the way of real action is, well, what is it supposed to be, exactly? I don't want to keep voicing the same complaints about this tournament arc each week, but when the show keeps doing the same thing, it's kind of inevitable.

Magica Madoka: Rebellion

That was magically shitty. Not seeing any Magica Madoka stuff prior to seeing the movie absolutely did me no favors whatsoever

Narag

Enjoy! My first ever "favorite" anime, if that makes any sense. :p Probably gonna rewatch myself at some point in the near future to fill the void that Attack on Titan left.

Going to assume that void was forcibly made rather than remembered with any sort of fondness.

Digimon Xros Wars 15

Sckmyhsl.jpg

Ok, now the transformations are just looking crappier and crappier here. Really, you fuse with a fallen angel and you suddenly become a centaur? Why not just do the obvious and give him wings?

jgminto

Digimon Xros Wars 15

Sckmyhsl.jpg

Ok, now the transformations are just looking crappier and crappier here. Really, you fuse with a fallen angel and you suddenly become a centaur? Why not just do the obvious and give him wings?

That looks like some sort of terrible Gurren Lagann x Sentai design found on deviantart.

LordCanti

That was magically shitty. Not seeing any Magica Madoka stuff prior to seeing the movie absolutely did me no favors whatsoever

Did you know what was going on? I'd think it would be hard to parse without any prior history with the show.

I've just realized that it's out/that a theater here has it. The only question that remains is whether or not I want to go to see Madoka alone in a theater where someone might know me.

duckroll

I don't get it. Why would anyone watch the third movie in a story trilogy without watching anything prior? What's the point?

jman2050

Catching up on stuff. KnK is three episodes behind so I'll get to that when I have the time.

Kill la Kill 10

Fabulous. We absolutely need as much Mako interacting with Gamagoori as humanly possible. I like how
Ryuko using Senketsu to pull off crazy shit out of her ass is played as a harbinger of things to come rather than just random Shounen-style powerups. It's possible she won't get through blind dude before things start to go horribly wrong.

The real story is that Nonon completely stole the show and is just as amazing and fabulous as I had hoped.
Giant flying fortress mecha of doom playing classical orchestra pieces while firing recorders as giants exploding missiles

Next week looks... interesting for sure.

Golden Time 10

Phew, crisis averted, for now. Anyway, that explains why Koko was acting the way she was. Loving this show still, everything was pretty engagig despite beig very low key, and that final scene was pretty sweet.
Banri with the classic "ah yeah I'm gettin some" face at the end there, awesome.

I don't get it. Why would anyone watch the third movie in a story trilogy without watching anything prior? What's the point?

but to see an anime movie subbed in a US theater with a packed crowd. it's a can't miss opportunity

an opportunity I should have passed on >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom