• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I think I've cracked Shirobako.

The only reason this show exists is so that people in the anime industry can show up-and-comers how hard it is to work in the anime industry so that they never attempt to join it. This leaves more work for those already work in it.

It's genius.

Psycho-Pass 2 - 01

You know, I quite liked Psycho-Pass and, even after reading plenty GAF criticism I'm quite sure I can appreciate some of it even now (especially if I accept the entire Psycho-Pass system as premise, which I don't have as hard a time with as many others here).

This episode of Psycho-Pass 2 though was unbearable shit and I should maybe drop it here and now.

The amount of "Senpai/Inspector Tsunemori" was grating. As Maximilian Kolbe pointed out, the bitching of Mika was irritating. Everyone being in awe of our 'badass' Akane, especially Ginoza, felt out of place/wrong, even if this is set ~18months after Psycho-Pass 1. And this first case was riddled with needless exposition, too many incompetent police forces and makes me really question the efficiency of those drones and the entire Hue shit if that one guy got so far.

It feels like this case was supposed to be reminiscent of the first one in Psycho-Pass (1) but even there the exposition was out of the world, why we get just as much now when this is the second season is beyond me (do it briefly for the newcomers ffs).

The visuals looked worse than PP which was to be expected with a different (worse?) studio attached to it. The CGI looks particularly shitty, like that time we got the perspective from the drone jumping through the window. Just awful.

I'm not even really disappointed because I wasn't expecting any of this. I really, really liked the conclusion of the first season and was sure to get some tacked on crap this time around. I mean a different studio and different writer(s) for a show that, in my opinion, concluded quite well, where would that go...

They try to give us a tease of the overarching story with this episode-epilogue but honestly, so far it's just another man who seems to be able to manipulate Sybil. Him being a CID inspector himself is the only thing I'm curious about, unless I just misinterpreted that.

edit:
I really dislike this discrepancy of everyone acting like Akane is a total boss but Mika, the fucking partner she got at the end of season 1 as sort of a cool nod, somehow manages to be a whiny bitch even after being so long under her wing. Why would I want to see that :/

fertygo

Shirobako - 01

Man, watching this kinda exhausting you isn't it? Mizushima is such a good director, he can emphasize that kind of mood pretty strongly..

Dem hard truth also striking deep, damn.

Shirobako 01

I had no idea what this show was and I love it. What its like to work on an anime show. I'm down with this premise and plus it gets bonus points for being a show about working people and not high schoolers as well. I'm also quickly learning working on anime FUCKING SUCKS. Great first episode.

Psycho Pass S2 01

A start not too different for the first season's start with a new cast of characters and some returning faces as well. I'm liking the dynamic of Akane being the experienced vet cop with a partner who doesn't have the same beliefs as her and comes off as a bit of a hot head. Also interesting to see her Enforcing have confidence in her leadership skills as well. Though that's to be expected as she grew a lot in the first season.

DENKI-GAI 02

Rotten(Fu) Girl still a best. Great and funny episode, probably funnier than the manga version actually. There were actually more swinging man bulges than girl tits.

Branduil

The only reason this show exists is so that people in the anime industry can show up-and-comers how hard it is to work in the anime industry so that they never attempt to join it. This leaves more work for those already work in it.

It's genius.

More work seems like the last thing they would want, based on this episode.

Mizushima is going to kill anime with his truth bombs.

cajunator

Banned
Wait, there's an anime about the anime industry?

Several!

Speaking of music-based anime, How come there aren't any Disney-esque musical anime? Not the kind of anime musical where the only singing is on a stage sung by idols or whatever, or where a song plays during a montage of sorts, no.

I'm talking characters singing with the actual song itself being super-relevant to the plot, with lead-in lines and everything. I want to see an anime villain singing a villain song, that sort of thing.

Does an anime like that really not exist?

Well I cant think of any except Nerima Daikon Brothers sorta.
TariTari was a bit different, like Glee club.

The last proper anime-that-is-a-musical was Nerima Daikon Brothers.

It was sodding awful.

Re: popularity of musicals in Japan - until about a year ago I worked in the musical theatre industry and dealt with Japan very frequently. They love musicals, but there's little to no audience overlap between anime and musical theatre, the primary demographic of which is single ladies in their 20s and housewives (perhaps not that different from the Western demographic, really). With that said, while the market is diversifying, most of the popular shows are imported Western "poperettas" - shows like Les Miserables, or Phantom of the Opera, or the shows that come out of Vienna like Elisabeth, Mozart etc. - they're basically stuck in the 80s as far as taste goes, and that extends to the limited home grown musical market which occupies the same strangely stylised space as the Takarazuka (who stage lots of musicals, obviously).

South Korea has a much larger musical market, incidentally.

Yeah that one.

Dresden

It's genius.

They need new employees to handle joyless work for no real pay, though.

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 2
The little bro was very hyperactive, even for a 3 minute show. The horse was just hilarious

Branduil

So it's informative then?

iboJdpZvljBTNT.jpg
ibbAKnbislqdjb.jpg

iwRx6LmTD0Rcz.jpg
itK7ifWmofrBR.jpg

Anohana - Episode 5

So after last episode's big twist at the end we end up getting another one! I seriously did a spit-take when I heard
that Anaru was getting taken to a love hotel.

What will they think of next?

Pooya

I guess I shouldn't bother watching shirobako just yet;

I'm set any way

watching
g-reco
ubw
bahamut
gbf

4 is the limit...

Psycho-Pass 2 - 01
I really dislike this discrepancy of everyone acting like Akane is a total boss but Mika, the fucking partner she got at the end of season 1 as sort of a cool nod, somehow manages to be a whiny bitch even after being so long under her wing. Why would I want to see that :/

well, she wasn't a "cool nod", they've been setting her character from early first season, she was in the school episode and her friends got murdered if you remember. I'm guessing that stuff about her hue is going to hook into the first season, we'll see.

Taruranto

Psycho-Ass 2 #1

Meh... lesbians

Well, this was... interesting. The case felt like more-of-the-seamy, however I felt the episode was stronger than the (very bad) S1 first episode. I recall, one of my main problems with S1 was whiny and obnoxious Akane came across in the beginning, which doesn't happen this time.

Now if the can write interesting characters... and not spend 10 episodes walking in circle... also quoting random authors to sound deep? Not cool.

Do it new writers!

well, she wasn't a "cool nod", they've been setting her character from early first season, she was in the school episode and her friends got murdered if you remember. I'm guessing that stuff about her hue is going to hook into the first season, we'll see.

Nah that's actually what I mean with cool nod. I mean it was a cool nod at the end of season one that SHE would be the one joining the CID. I liked how things went full cycle with Akane finding herself at the inspector end then.

Shirobako 1
fd7pE9f.jpg

What the hell?

hxkrctR.png

Fixing missing pixels in PS. Thrilling stuff.

This remind me to that Paranoia Agent episode, where a sleepy anime producer is driving carrying the tape to the tv station.
5S8BNI0.png

GHxfPjP.png

The evil competition, Production I.G.! I mean G.I. Staff! totally different!

pqwXvlX.png

3d cars on slow motion jumping in the air.

ReDGguv.png

Ok, this HAS to be a Initial D reference.

J94C1mp.png

Well, I suppose they have attract audience with something, and it wasn't going to be the riveting plot.

(and here I got bored of doing caps, too many in any case. The rest is "production problems in anime")

You know what. This isn't the first time I saw a animation company fall on the temptation about doing a work about themselves, about a animation company. For example, I remember the totally boring Golden Boy episode about it, which was shocking because the rest of the episodes are hilarious.

jgminto

(and here I got bored of doing caps, too many in any case. The rest is "production problems in anime")

You know what. This isn't the first time I saw a animation company fall on the temptation about doing a work about themselves, about a animation company. For example, I remember the totally boring Golden Boy episode about it, which was shocking because the rest of the episodes are hilarious.

ibtRCzGKiHlINZ.png

Psycho Pass 1 - 01

Somehow the sequel doesn't impress me much. One of the reason probably because of the lack of Kogami at the moment. Gonna wait and see how the new antagonist acts before determining whether I'll watch it on weekly basis or not.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - 01

Beautiful. Finally I can listen to those music played by the characters :lol

Shirobako 1

totally boring Golden Boy episode about it

totally boring Golden Boy episode about it

E697nCD.jpg

Moyashimon 05

Watching mold grow, more interesting than watching paint dry.

They meet an old man cowered in microbes and a girl with a stinky backpack. More information about sake and some weird looking foreigners as well.

Go_Ly_Dow

Shirobako/duckroll the anime-1

What's with anime and people having near death experiences from common colds and fevers caused by overwork and getting caught in the rain without an umbrella for 5 minutes?

Anohana - Episode 6

I thought the visit to Menma's house was the highlight of the episode. I thought it was pretty upsetting to see that they have left her room as an empty shell of what it used to be and packed all of her things away but their reasoning as to why they did it made sense.

The JintanxAnaru relationship is slowly blossoming as well. They're now both singled out from the rest of their classmates due to what they did and it's bringing them closer together along with Menma's wish.

Not too interested on the anime-industry anime. Heck I'm gonna give Psycho-Pass season 2 some time before I consider watching it because my favorite character isn't in a starring role and I never liked weird-haircut girl too much.

Will defis watch the music one though. Gonna go watch it right now.

Midonin

Twintail 01

This is Akibaranger.

Coming from me, that's the highest possible compliment I could give something. And I don't just say that lightly. Naruhisa Arakawa is an "anime-style" writer, but he's worked with a lot of tokusatsu, including Abaranger and Dekaranger (both of which sway between cracky comedy and tragedy), the phenomenal Gokaiger, and of course, Akibaranger. And like Akiba, we have Maaya Uchida starring in a professor/mentor role. Though Prof. Hakase was less perverted than Twoearl.

This series shouldn't need to be watched as a guilty pleasure, for there are many people who love and cherish Sentai, including on this board. Garo is adapted from a late night toku, but Twintail most captures the spirit of Super Hero Time and those who love it, and also adds twintails to the mix. There's some superficial similarity to Kampfer with the gender-bending premise, but that's as far as it goes. This isn't a battle royale, there's a clear enemy organization with monsters that may as well be rubber suits.

It's glorious. Sumipe's role as Tail Red gives me some Dekomori flashbacks (helps that she's with Mayayan again), and we haven't even gathered the other two members of the team yet. This is everything I've been looking for. My favorite show of this season so far, and tentatively my favorite Thursday show. I say tentatively because Yuyuyu hasn't aired yet, and I'm pretty hyped for that one.

I cast aside the name of "realism", and trust in Naruhisa Arakawa. Twintails is the anime of the season, tentatively. The Mayayan OP sounds a lot like "Heroic lily," and the ED is pretty nice, too. Everything in this season has now aligned.

Quasar

Shigatsu wa kimi no uso 1 - Great seeing these characters animated and hearing the music. This already races to top of my watching list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom