• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I kind of feel the Super Robot Genre in general could use a revival. Most mecha shows that even try to do that kind of miss the fun spirit of the genre. I'd kill for a Japanese made Transformers super-robot show like Victory.

Gundam Build Fighters truly is a marvel of the modern era.

Holy shit guys would I want a anime adaption of The Breaker and the sequel New Waves. Just seeing those action scenes animated would be fuckin awesome. Would want Madhouse to do it, as I feel they would do justice to the series. One of my top favorite martial arts manga.

Also another reason for the adaption would be her.

14544242p.jpg

Yeah Jinnie you are the bomb. Hope she wins in the end.

New Waves takes so goddam long to get going that everyone would hate it

CorvoSol

I kind of feel the Super Robot Genre in general could use a revival. Most mecha shows that even try to do that kind of miss the fun spirit of the genre. I'd kill for a Japanese made Transformers super-robot show like Victory.

When you have guys like Enokido who have the money to make it happen and then decide to fuck it all away on bullshit, the fate of the genre becomes sadly clearer.

Here's hoping #Lord Tomino gives us something in the vein of ZZ and Turn A again with G-Reco. Being wacky is the man's true calling. He gets weirdly fixated on women's reproduction when he's trying to be serious.

Space Dandy 8

I'm not really sure what this episode was trying to do. At first it was this seemingly sincere portrayal of a dying dog, only there was not nearly enough time for me to actually become attached to it. And then the second half transitions over to this goofy... I'm not even sure what to call it. The flea alien thing was a ridiculous idea but it felt too haphazardly executed to be entertaining. Storyboarding was kind of haphazard too, with quite a bit of awkward compositions. I did like Gel popping up at the beginning and the end as a bookend for the episode.

yami4ct

When you have guys like Enokido who have the money to make it happen and then decide to fuck it all away on bullshit, the fate of the genre becomes sadly clearer.

Here's hoping #Lord Tomino gives us something in the vein of ZZ and Turn A again with G-Reco. Being wacky is the man's true calling. He gets weirdly fixated on women's reproduction when he's trying to be serious.

Between the colorful art direction, E7 character designs, and space pirates, if G-Reco is self serious, I will be very surprised.

Clov

Space Dandy 8

I'm not really sure what this episode was trying to do. At first it was this seemingly sincere portrayal of a dying dog, only there was not nearly enough time for me to actually become attached to it. And then the second half transitions over to this goofy... I'm not even sure what to call it. The flea alien thing was a ridiculous idea but it felt too haphazardly executed to be entertaining. Storyboarding was kind of haphazard too, with quite a bit of awkward compositions. I did like Gel popping up at the beginning and the end as a bookend for the episode.

Yeah, this definitely wasn't one of Space Dandy's best episodes. The two halves felt very disjointed.

I hope you like the next episode though, it was probably my favorite from the first season.

JCG

I haven't seen a complete work of Tomino's, perhaps I'm lucky. Then again, I might start up Overman King Gainer soon to see what happens when Tomino crosses paths with Ichiro Okouchi.

Word of warning, the first episode of Overman King Gainer usually confuses or scares off people. For quite natural reasons.

Even more so if you're not familiar with just how wacky Tomino can get on his own. There's a useful term for that explained at length here.

I expect to come out understanding why Code Geass turned out the way it did.

Only partially. If you actually want to fully understand that, you should watch GunxSword too. And/or do some extra reading, but that's boring!

The distance between GXS and Code Geass is measurably shorter than the distance between it and Infinite Ryvius or Planetes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Between the colorful art direction, E7 character designs, and space pirates, if G-Reco is self serious, I will be very surprised.

Anime with Yoshida character art are 2:2 for crashing and burning. G-Reco is the tiebreaker.

rpmurphy

Magical Index Endymion movie (dub)

Just saw this at AWA earlier this evening. I still need to get around to watching Index S2, but the way that this series' dialogue and plot devices just sucks the life out of my brain is such an impediment. The background story and premise of the conflict in the film show promise, but it's unbelievable that to force the story forward, everything just keeps falling into the right place at the right time, non-stop. And Touma's monologues are still banal. But most disappointing was that all of the characters barely use their abilities in any interesting ways, even the new antagonists, which is the biggest appeal for me in the Raildex series. Packing too much into a 90 minute film just doesn't do justice.

Also, Kuroko and Index dubbed voices are way too jarring. Kuroko's "Sissy" holds no candle to her "Oneesama~"

If the current trend in anime tells us anything its that mecha that doesn't hit the otaku checklist are doomed to fail.

Some of the most successful mecha anime in recent times have been Gundam Unicorn and Gundam Build Fighters, which certainly hit an otaku checklist, but probably not the checklist you're thinking of.

mankoto

Gundam Build Fighters 9

China gets her own episode as not only is her Gunpla complete, she's been asked into a tournament by her rival. Said tournament gets Sei out of his slump and puts new thoughts in his head for his new Gunpla

Gundam Build Fighters 10
Tournament arc begins. Aila isn't the stone cold killer she's made out to be. Just give her some food and she gains a personality. Also,our womanizer Ricardo can win matches while fighting a hangover. Go him.

-Horizon-

Holy shit guys would I want a anime adaption of The Breaker and the sequel New Waves. Just seeing those action scenes animated would be fuckin awesome. Would want Madhouse to do it, as I feel they would do justice to the series. One of my top favorite martial arts manga.

Also another reason for the adaption would be her.

14544242p.jpg

Yeah Jinnie you are the bomb. Hope she wins in the end.

I just started reading through this and enjoying it very much. Would definitely be happy to see it animated.

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha - 12

I'm sad to see this serie end.
It's not even the ending ... ALL THE SUBS plots are open but the most important is that the relationships arenow in place.
Every heroine still has problems in their own wolrd that need solving from the royal familly sucession, the earth people invasion , the dark magical girls plans or sanae past ...

MAN they have issues to manage before we reach an ending.
Rokujouma%20no%20Shinryakusha%20-%2012.jpg

It's over , dammit !
And that's not even taking into account sakuraba-sempai twist they just gave me at the end of this episode . Seriously that's mean ...

I'm gonna go read each LN volume now

Branduil

Space Dandy 8

Unfortunately, most of Keiko Nobumoto's episodes are actually weaker than average, mainly because of bifurcated plot issues.

I think you'll really enjoy the next episode, though.

Crocodile

Usagi Drop 3

Still a sweet and heartfelt tale of a man trying to raise his adopted daughter :) A pretty obvious call out on how utterly shitty parental leave is in Japan. It's no wonder their birth rates are dropping :/

From the New World 1

I'm still a bit in the dark even though I've got the general premise down - people start developing psychic powers a millienium ago and we now live in a world somewhat used to them but things are not as they seem. Good sense of atmosphere & mystery. I look forward to seeing more.

Girls und Panzer 2

I'm sure the character designs, interactions and personalities were big selling points back in Japan but they are a pretty big turn off for me. Still waiting till things "get good" which I've heard is soon.

yami4ct

Overman King Gainer
Eureka Seven
vs
Eureka Seven - good night, sleep tight, young lovers
Eureka Seven AO

?

E7:AO what's that? There was never another E7 series. Nooppe.
AO itself even agrees with me. Had the sense to write itself out of existence.

Mothman91

From the New World 1

I'm still a bit in the dark even though I've got the general premise down - people start developing psychic powers a millienium ago and we now live in a world somewhat used to them but things are not as they seem. Good sense of atmosphere & mystery. I look forward to seeing more.

Loved this show.

mankoto

Gundam Build Fighters 11
Poor Ricardo for getting ganged up on like this. But then again, when you mess with 7 guy's girlfriends, you get whatever coming to you. He's just lucky his name isn't Makoto

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Barakamon 12

Great ending. Definitely one of my favourite slice of life series in awhile.

So glad that the anime got the manga picked up by yen press too.

Space Dandy 9

What a trippy episode. The eyecatch, with its 70s psychedelic flower power, summed it up. Great, great visuals from Eunyoung Choi and Kevin Aymeric. I could pick almost any frame from the episode at random and it would be visually arresting. You can see Yuasa's influence in Choi's work - quite reminiscent of Kaiba - but she goes even farther than he does in expressionistic work (think of episodes such as Kaiba 5 and Tatami Galaxy 10), and that's apparent here in all the layouts on the planet. The plot was simple but effective, letting the atmosphere carry this bizarre sci-fi planet exploration. Definitely my favorite Space Dandy episode that I've seen.

Clov

Space Dandy 9

What a trippy episode. The eyecatch, with its 70s psychedelic flower power, summed it up. Great, great visuals from Eunyoung Choi and Kevin Aymeric. I could pick almost any frame from the episode at random and it would be visually arresting. You can see Yuasa's influence in Choi's work - quite reminiscent of Kaiba - but she goes even farther than he does in expressionistic work (think of episodes such as Kaiba 5 and Tatami Galaxy 10), and that's apparent here in all the layouts on the planet. The plot was simple but effective, letting the atmosphere carry this bizarre sci-fi planet exploration. Definitely my favorite Space Dandy episode that I've seen.

You summed it up pretty well! The visuals in this episode were just wonderful, and the atmosphere I thought was unmatched within the first season. I can't wait to hear your impressions on certain season two episodes once you get to them; the second half of the show really has been such a huge improvement over the first.

Something I've been meaning to say but keep forgetting.

Haikyuu!! 2nd opening is nowhere near as good as the first one. Was hoping for something a little decent when compared to a Spyair song, but that didn't happen.

The 2nd ending however, is better than the previous one. If for the sole fact that it doesn't have that country vibe.

Dead

well not really...yet
Xam'd.

I forgot that the E7 movie even existed, but we can still exclude if if we're just discussing series.
Yoshida had nothing to do with Xam'd, the character designer was one of the main animators of E7 and clearly took after his style though.

King Gainer and E7 are the only shows that Yoshida was fully involved with as a character designer and artist. AO was only partial. Shit don't count.

Im only watching G-Reco because of his involvement. He is the best character designer in the japanese animation medium.

The atmosphere created by the weird designs in Space Dandy 9 really was great. It's a world that truly feels "alien."

I think the key was to use plants and microbes as inspiration - microbes especially are a great real-life source of designs that look alien to us. Then you just blow them up to super-human size, tweak them a bit to make them appear sentient, splash vibrant colors around liberally, and voila! an alien world comes forth.

mankoto

Gundam Build Fighter 12
Of course when the mega-sized one goes down the round immediately ends. Looks like the chairman is extremely self-conscious about Reiji though. So much so that even Yuuki told him to stop, he fixed the next match anyway. It looks like he didn't need to though as Reiji wrist is messed up in some way from defending Alia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom