• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Yeah, I agree with this. Second half of the first episode at least had some great animation, even with as awful as the first half was.

The third episode was one of the worst Dandy episodes, period. I think I only hated episode 6 more than it.

I don't remember the reaction to 6 being as negative as it should have been when it first aired. I hated that episode so much. One of the worst half hours of TV I'd seen in a while. I was so disappointed with the fact that they followed up episode 5 with that.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I don't remember the reaction to 6 being as negative as it should have been when it first aired. I hated that episode so much. One of the worst half hours of TV I'd seen in a while. I was so disappointed with the fact that they followed up episode 5 with that.
Im on episode 5 and got to see what the fuss is about.

Does the story matter enough that you need to watch all of it?

No, but I would recommend watching all of it anyway since a lot of the opinions on episodes can be divisive and the story is minimal.

Nope. It's about as episodic as it gets. Probably my #1 complaint with the show, honestly.

I enjoyed the episodic format, would rather see a bunch of new worlds and storylines then one connected one.

Clov

Does the story matter enough that you need to watch all of it?

For Space Dandy? Though I haven't watched the final episode, not at all. There's basically no continuity between episodes. You can just pick and choose ones at random if you like.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Alright, so I guess it's kinda like samurai champloo in that way? I'll give the whole show a run through first though.

Terraformars 1

I knew ahead of time, but this is still a damn weird place to start. Makes it seem like Hizamaru is the main character.

That being said, there wasn't as much censorship as I was expecting, but that's by virtue of there barely being a fight and not because it's actually possible to tell what the fuck is going on. This is going to be a VERY big issue. If they wanted to censor the blood or some gore, fine, but don't put a gradient across the whole goddamn screen! This is a series with pretty impressive battle choreography, so to see it blacked out would be a damn shame.

As an introduction to the plot, this isn't an awful way to do it. While they did gloss over some of the Annex member back stories, they're not really important. We'll find out all we need to know about these characters as the story unfolds.

This is very likely going to be a safe adaptation with subpar production values if the OVA is anything to go by, but I'm hoping the strength of the source material allows this to stand on its own. Depending on how well-done the fights are, I very well might drop this.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Terraformars 1

I knew ahead of time, but this is still a damn weird place to start. Makes it seem like Hizamaru is the main character.

That being said, there wasn't as much censorship as I was expecting, but that's by virtue of there barely being a fight and not because it's actually possible to tell what the fuck is going on. This is going to be a VERY big issue. If they wanted to censor the blood or some gore, fine, but don't put a gradient across the whole goddamn screen! This is a series with pretty impressive battle choreography, so to see it blacked out would be a damn shame.

As an introduction to the plot, this isn't an awful way to do it. While they did gloss over some of the Annex member back stories, they're not really important. We'll find out all we need to know about these characters as the story unfolds.

This is very likely going to be a safe adaptation with subpar production values if the OVA is anything to go by, but I'm hoping the strength of the source material allows this to stand on its own. Depending on how well-done the fights are, I very well might drop this.
Yeah, only the fight scenes can save it now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, even less continuity than champloo?

Honestly from what I've read and seen of it in here it seems more like a series of animation experiments.

yami4ct

I enjoyed the episodic format, would rather see a bunch of new worlds and storylines then one connected one.

I prefer my episodic shows to have just a minor through line that allows character development and gives you a reason to watch each week. Best of both worlds. I'd say Kamen Rider Den-O is an example of doing that really well.

Honestly from what I've read and seen of it in here it seems more like a series of animation experiments.

That's exactly how I'd describe it. A bunch of weird short films that happen to have a similar cast.

But ep 18 is better than a big chunk of these

#turthbombs

1 and 3 are really bad. They were some of the worst episodes in the first cours of the show.

Man I liked Space Dandy Ep 1

Well the second half at least.

Episode 1 of Space Dandy is 1/2 bad 1/2 good.

Episode 3 is just bad.

3 was definitely the one that made me put off the show for so long (assuming it's the one with the literal titty monster), as I only finished S1 a month ago.

I was so close to dropping after episode 3, but 2 gave me some hope. 4 and 5 were the episodes that really got me to stick with the whole show. 5 might still be my favorite of the series (haven't seen the last 2 episodes).

I missed the numbering, I didn't like the boob monster episode and apparently didn't remember 18 because it was so close to 19 and I must've glanced over it as I was reading the episodes in wiki.

As to episode 1, still think you kind of need to watch it to understand the basic set-up as it also introduces Meow and most importantly a call-back in the finale (if memory serves correctly).

I basically agree with this, although I'll have to say that parts of 1 were so bad that I feared for the entire project. I really wouldn't recommend it.

The second half with the planet bit was what saved it for me and made me recommend it, just because the animation is absolutely insane then.

here are the episodes i recommend
it's 95% of the show and i left out some really good episodes

I said in the review itself that some of the episodes in my recommended list are basically just ok but still worth watching. And yes it's basically "95% of the show" because there were only about 8-9 episodes I thought were bad and/or unwatchable when compared to the rest of them. It was meant more as a "if you don't want to watch the bad episodes here are the ones worth watching". Probably would have saved more space to just list the ones not worth watching but I like to focus on the positive vs the negative I guess.

Now as to "a bunch of episodes that are good and missing" well that's up to the individual giving out his favorite episodes. I didn't do the 'bad' 'meh' 'good' review method we did earlier for the show because I'm sure somebody else will mention which episodes are the cream of the crop in their review. Some of episodes are really divisive and as it was seen before when we did the above one word episode review, not everybody agreed. I wish we could get a community thread and count the votes of the community to give a NeoGAF list of episodes worth watching.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

That's pretty much what it is.

Space Dandy Final

This is probably the greatest way to end such an off the wall series: go even further off the wall until its in a different dimension. Watching this show was the most fun I've had watching anything (not just anime) in a long time. I'm sad to see it go. Hopefully that stinger at the end isn't just at troll.

Edited the review, removed/added some episodes and changed the wording from "recommended episodes" to "episodes worth watching" to not imply all of them are amazing. I haven't seen a review that gives the stand-out episodes of a long show, but I guess that for a show as episodic as Dandy it might actually work out if somebody here actually does do it since there's no continuity plot.

Well not entirely, besides their attempts at explanation of certain events.

Steins;Gate - 5

Yeesh, so these SERN people are
doing human experiments that cause people to turn into a gelatinous green-like substance like those microwaved bananas?

This is getting more and more ominous.

And what the hell was up with pigtails girl near the beginning? Never mind Kurisu, I bet she's
the real SERN agent!

Hehe. Them bananas were important after all ;)

jgminto

I would say the list of Dandy episodes worth watching is:

1 (not a great episode but it sets up the premise and tone of the show well)
8 (first half)

Haven't watched the latest episode yet.

Overman King Gainer Ep. 2

ibtagybUtOGf18.png
iFsGyNyKGCiLd.png
iW1g0su7RiZMc.png
I seriously have to know if I'm watching a poor translation or if the dialogue is really this bad. Maybe it is both. Also, I can't quite put it into words but something about the visual storytelling is off as well. It wasn't until the establishing shot at the very end that I knew what the hell was happening on a macro scale.
He can't be this stupid.

Theonik

8 (first half)

Final Dandy?

8 (first half)

god damn that second season was good huh

I so need to watch it.

duckroll

As I posted in the Dandy OT, I think it would be great now that the series is over for people who are interested to go back to the episodes they liked most and post about what made those episodes special. There's a ton of content in the 26 episodes we go, and I'm sure there are a wide range of opinions regarding what are the best or worst episodes. :)

Space Dandy official turin's recommendation list

--first season)--
2 (ramen)
4 (zombies)
5 (alien loli)
~maybe 6 (not really, just for the surfing animation cut lol)
9 (weird botanic alien world)
10 (Mew episode with time travel)
13 (robot love episode)
--second season--
14 (multiple dimensions dandys)
16 (lone alien fish tragedy)
17 (high school musical)
18 (old fisherman with girl)
20 (rock band)
21 (death planet)
23 (Scarlet & Dandy ep)
24 (n-dimensional love)
26 (finale)

Barakamon - 12

So Mr Handa used to be on the island aswell. Mrs Handa mom of the year
Picked up by grandpa bike just like in the beginning. Sitting togheter in the end, nothing more, nothing less.
Nice finish to a good show

yami4ct

Fate/Stay Night Ep1 is going to be 1 hour long. Just like Fate/Zero. Based Ufotable. <3

I'm very interested to see what from the VN Ufotable decides to include in this first hour. There are good ways to use that content to start a show off and there are very, very bad ways. A straight adaptation of the beginning of UBW would probably be a disaster.

duckroll

Spoke too soon. It's not just one 1-hour episode, it's two! The series starts next week with Ep0, which is an hour long prologue episode from Rin's perspective. Then Ep1 airs the week after that, another hour long episode which starts Shiro's story.

Spoke too soon. It's not just one 1-hour episode, it's two! The series starts next week with Ep0, which is an hour long prologue episode from Rin's perspective. Then Ep1 airs the week after that, another hour long episode which starts Shiro's story.

Sounds like a straight adaptation from the VN, which starts with a prologue from Rin's prospective.

yami4ct

If the Rin prologue is the exact same one from the VN, it shouldn't really take an hour. Maybe they'll expand some action scenes? Two hour-long episodes of Ufotable animation can never be considered a bad thing, though. No matter what's actually taking place.

phaze

Durarara!! Series Impressions

Anri is the holder of the Saika blade and anyone who is cut by the blade becomes a slave to its master. However, there was a sub group lead my another possessed by the blade yet not in direct control by Anri. This is just confusing as all who are red eyed have been cut by someone possessed by Saika or by Saika itself. Shouldn't Anri have full control over this subgroup?

Glad you liked it ! Though I preferred the first half to the second. And yeah that thing puzzled me as well. Maybe there is a better explanation in the source material.

Great and informative OT. My knowledge of Gundam franchise and Tomino rose by 1000%.

Also, I apparently need to watch Hells.

This season so far I will be watching:

Parasyte - Know nothing about it but source material seems to be very well regarded.

Fate Stay/Night Unlimited Blade Words - I lasted for about 13 episodes of Fate/Stay Night and couldn't hold on anymore. Looking forward to finally finding about just wtf (F/Z end spoilers)
Angra Mainyu is

Akatsuki no Yona - I like the setting and artstyle and the combat looks good. If it doesn't go to heavy on Shoujo I should be able to bear with it.

Gundam Reconguista in G - It being aimed at kids sets off all kinds of alarms in my head but we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom