• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Fate/Stay Night site update: http://www.fate-sn.com/

Ep0 + Ep1 teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yarWSqrMDUs

From the sounds of it, at today's screening events, Tokyo and Tokushima got to watch Ep1, while Osaka got to watch Ep0. It makes sense since Rin's VA was a guest at the Osaka event iirc. For the screenings outside of Japan, I think they're getting Ep0 too. Rin power, etc.

New key visual:
6msGChq.jpg

TUSR

Banned
Mahouka

I just rewatched the beginning of episode 1 and the end of 26.

The intro episode had a way better material burst than the finale.

I know from reading a bit of the LNs that Maya is going to be the focus of S2 and the family/clan structure. But realistically Tatsuya can't be stopped by anyone or anything. As much as I like the Gary Stu power tripping, it kind of sullies any serious/dramatic moments the show could have.

Saegusa Mayumi is best girl.

Crimson Prince owns, I wanted to see him wreck some shit in the finale.

It was also good to see Miyuki not being useless since shes apparently one of the most powerful magicians around.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

From the sounds of it, at today's screening events, Tokyo and Tokushima got to watch Ep1, while Osaka got to watch Ep0. It makes sense since Rin's VA was a guest at the Osaka event iirc. For the screenings outside of Japan, I think they're getting Ep0 too. Rin power, etc.

New key visual:

Seems like they'll both end in Lancer fight leading into Berserker fight during episode 2. Also holy shit how long is this anime. That's like at least 4 episodes of a normal season right there maybe even 5.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I didn't think it was that bad.

They basically cut out and ruined Lancelot vs Saber for it so in that context it's pretty bad. But yeah it's entirely different, though expect a lot of info dump with smug as Archer. Just realised these first two episodes are probably the length of the entire DEEN movie.

They basically cut out and ruined Lancelot vs Saber for it so in that context it's pretty bad. But yeah it's entirely different, though expect a lot of info dump with smug as Archer. Just realised these first two episodes are probably the length of the entire DEEN movie.
Huh? We're talking about episode 10 of the first season, right?

duckroll

Seems like they'll both end in Lancer fight leading into Berserker fight during episode 2. Also holy shit how long is this anime. That's like at least 4 episodes of a normal season right there maybe even 5.

Well, the series itself is probably about 25 episodes, including ep0. So with two double length episodes it'll be about 27 episodes worth of content or so. If it's like Fate/Zero, the second half next year probably won't have any double length episodes.

Talking about the entire series length, if it was between that Rin episode and the various other character and story important events (e.g that fight) I'd rather have those.

That's not how shows are made.

raven777

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well, the series itself is probably about 25 episodes, including ep0. So with two double length episodes it'll be about 27 episodes worth of content or so. If it's like Fate/Zero, the second half next year probably won't have any double length episodes.

That's not how shows are made.

Pretty sure that's how adaptations go. You make priorities, and I don't think they made the right ones.

Gurren Lagann 25

Another heroic sacrifice.

Humanity is not the first to try, but the first crazy enough to succeed. And even Boota gets to help out. Some interesting musical stuff as well with both the more uh... jazzy stuff and the rap/operatic mix.

TUSR

Banned
Gurren Lagann 25

Another heroic sacrifice.

Humanity is not the first to try, but the first crazy enough to succeed. And even Boota gets to help out. Some interesting musical stuff as well with both the more uh... jazzy stuff and the rap/operatic mix.

What did you think of the Boota scene?

duckroll

Pretty sure that's how adaptations go. You make priorities, and I don't think they made the right ones.

It really wasn't a matter of that at all. Fate/Zero was a pretty unique series in the sense that they had a lot of freedom in how they made the show and what they wanted to do. That's why on the blu-rays a bunch of episodes had extended runtimes and nothing was standardized. They were doing whatever they needed to tell the story they wanted. If they had decided not to do a Rin episode, the show would just have one episode less in the end. For one reason or another, they dropped the ball on the Saber vs Berserker fight at the end, but considering how the production was managed and what resources went into the Rin episode, the two things have nothing to do with each other at all.

Berserk - 14

Guts going 2deep4me, seeing everyones hopes and dreams in the flickering lights of the camp.
A bonfire of dreams. Yet Guts light isnt to be seen among them, he has nothing to live for but surviving

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It really wasn't a matter of that at all. Fate/Zero was a pretty unique series in the sense that they had a lot of freedom in how they made the show and what they wanted to do. That's why on the blu-rays a bunch of episodes had extended runtimes and nothing was standardized. They were doing whatever they needed to tell the story they wanted. If they had decided not to do a Rin episode, the show would just have one episode less in the end. For one reason or another, they dropped the ball on the Saber vs Berserker fight at the end, but considering how the production was managed and what resources went into the Rin episode, the two things have nothing to do with each other at all.

I understand that but even then that's still priorities. There's pretty clear source material they could have adapted (they're good at that). For reasons unknown to us, they decided not to but they did decide fully adapt a Rin episode and contradict the source in that episode no less.

duckroll

I understand that but even then that's still priorities. There's pretty clear source material they could have adapted. For reasons unknown to us, they decided not to but they did decide fully adapted a Rin episode and contradict the source in that episode no less.

You just sound bitter honestly. The Rin episode was great and was a fantastic pace breaker at that point in the series. It's too bad that something you liked in the story got an iffy treatment, but don't blame something else for it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You just sound bitter honestly. The Rin episode was great and was a fantastic pace breaker at that point in the series. It's too bad that something you liked in the story got an iffy treatment, but don't blame something else for it.

I wouldn't mind so much if they outright contracted the canon in that pace breaker that was attempting to do a fairly faithful adaptation. I actually liked the episode quite a bit, but as far as plot important scenes and for it's length it really didn't need the duration it got. If you compare what was missed in terms of characterisation of many characters and compare it to that episode it doesn't compare favourably.

There was a reason why so many people complained about it.

stryke

Haven't enjoyed any of the new gundams since 00. Hopefully Reconguista pulls something out of the bag. I'm already not a fan of the gundam design.

Berserk - 15

Going against the rhino knights who curbstomped the white tiger knights at the castle of Doldrey.
Aww shit, pedophile noblemen is the governor of this territory. But Griffith has a plan, and Guts seems to thave confidence in it
Just according to Keikaku

Oh so it'll be a new mmo for the second half like in the first season?

I didn't know there was more material after GGO.
YOu have no idea.You've just cleared VOL 6 and we have 13 volumes so far.
Back to Alfheim , showing new stuff and old stuff they cut from S1.
After that in the inevitable S3 , you'll move on to another world.
Gurren Lagann 26

i6ZVjhZEdszMD.gif

ShwZ5VV.gif

Well that's the normal reaction to ep 26

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One day I'll learn to perform the Kill Me Baby ED dance and then I'll impress everyone on the dance floor.

duckroll

Nozaki-kun - Episode 11-12 (End)

Finally finished this up. Pretty enjoyable episodes. I like the split in ep11 where half the episode was about Sakura while the other half was about the guys. I think in the end what makes the show so entertaining is that the character dynamics are earnest and yet completely idiosyncratic. Every character on the show has their quirks and flawed understanding of how everyone else feels about them, and some of them have zero sense of self-awareness. Usually I'm not a fan of misunderstandings in relationship stories, but when taken to the extreme here, it makes for very good comedy.

I think the finale also did a good job of summarizing how the character relationships are, but I definitely found that last scene disappointing. If a show is going to be blatant about how relationships are not going to development for the convenience of keeping the status quo as a narrative theme, then I'll rather it not give false hope as a gag in such an obvious way. That's the only thing I didn't like about the ending.

/XX/

Was the bitrate during the sakuga parts as bad in the Japanese broadcast as it was on [as]? Everything went fairly pixelated for me whenever there was a lot of movement on screen, so I feel like I didn't get to experience the animation at its full intended quality.
It wasn't as bad IIRC, but still got pretty rough at parts. Often happens with TV broadcasts and episodes like this sadly, gotta wait for those BDs
It is very, very difficult for any other broadcaster to make it as bad as TOKYO MX, really:

やらおん!!│安心のノンアフィリエイト: 【コピー】【ジョジョ3部OP比較】アメリカの動画配信サイトの画質が超綺麗 すぎてやばい・・・ 海外>>>日本
http://yron-anime-life.blogspot.com/2014/04/blog-post_4633.html

Cheapening out assigning an additional channel standard-definition stream on the same spectrum bandwidth allocation they previously managed for only one high-definition channel (http://s.mxtv.jp/company/press/20140206_hdsd_allmulti.pdf), and even saying at the time it was a worthy advancement on technology to achieve this... I understand how infuriating it must be for its habitual viewers.

Mahouka 26
Pretty much Tatsuya showing off his godhood and the invaders were completely obliterated and the foreshadowing of how this was a big event in history. And then the pseudo-romantic reunion of the brother and sister

/XX/

Nozaki-kun - Episode 11-12 (End)

Finally finished this up. Pretty enjoyable episodes. I like the split in ep11 where half the episode was about Sakura while the other half was about the guys. I think in the end what makes the show so entertaining is that the character dynamics are earnest and yet completely idiosyncratic. Every character on the show has their quirks and flawed understanding of how everyone else feels about them, and some of them have zero sense of self-awareness. Usually I'm not a fan of misunderstandings in relationship stories, but when taken to the extreme here, it makes for very good comedy.

I think the finale also did a good job of summarizing how the character relationships are, but I definitely found that last scene disappointing. If a show is going to be blatant about how relationships are not going to development for the convenience of keeping the status quo as a narrative theme, then I'll rather it not give false hope as a gag in such an obvious way. That's the only thing I didn't like about the ending.

That seems to be the general consensus and I am glad it is. I honestly thought it was going to happen because I don't remember such a scene in the manga. If there is a season 2 which I think there might be since they hinted at some new characters like Nozaki's brother they should either not do that again or go for a more conclusive ending for the anime series. With the manga its somewhat understandable since much of the humour is based around them being oblivious to relationships.

Gurren Lagann 27

The world gets saved and the universe is free.

This is quite the journey, from the MC living underground to fighting battles in space where they throw galaxies around. It's also an emotional journey with characters that die, people falling in love and finding their own purpose in life.

Even as bleak as things get sometimes it keeps an optimistic outlook and hope for the human spirit. Oh, and there's some cool action too of course, and a bit of comedy.

There are a few weak points like the amount of time they spend with Simon apathetic after
Kamina dies
is a bit much, and the volume of exposition towards the end, but that's minor stuff.

The OP is nice and gets you hyped for the adventures you'll experience.

Tons of fun and lots of good emotional bits, so I'll give it 5/5 drills:
HU2f2d3.png
HU2f2d3.png
HU2f2d3.png
HU2f2d3.png
HU2f2d3.png

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Gurren Lagann 27

The world gets saved and the universe is free.

This is quite the journey, from the MC living underground to fighting battles in space where they throw galaxies around. It's also an emotional journey with characters that die, people falling in love and finding their own purpose in life.

Even as bleak as things get sometimes it keeps an optimistic outlook and hope for the human spirit. Oh, and there's some cool action too of course, and a bit of comedy.

There are a few weak points like the amount of time they spend with Simon apathetic after
Kamina dies
is a bit much, and the volume of exposition towards the end, but that's minor stuff.

The OP is nice and gets you hyped for the adventures you'll experience.

Tons of fun and lots of good emotional bits, so I'll give it 5/5 drills:
HU2f2d3.png
HU2f2d3.png
HU2f2d3.png
HU2f2d3.png
HU2f2d3.png

Gurren Lagann was great, loads character development for most characters, great and memorable scenes, the gradual building stakes followed by bigger climax's. A really fun watch.

Also dat OST.

Mahouka Overall Thoughts
Well, lets start and say that i have not seen the last episode yet, but it doesn't matter cause i know how its going to end anyway.

So, being a fan of the LN, i was quite hype about this anime. The worldbuilding is pretty deep, there is a lot, A LOT of in depth explanation about the magic in this series and the politics too. The characters range from great to average, but that is not the reason why i stayed anyway.

The anime lacked the....spirit of the anime. My worst fear came through when they just nonchalantly skip all the explanation that was necessary for the show, the small details that was important was gone and the fights playing like a stop motion show. The fights were fast and deadly in the light novel, nobody had time to push buttons like a old man, but that is what happened in the anime anyway.

Many explanations were gone. What is decomposition? How did he managed to make the flying spell work? What did miyuki did that made them stop during episode 25? Much as i remember, the anime to not even try to tell the viewers the inner workings of the system of magic in its world, and mahouka lived on its explanations.

But giving credit to madhouse, the effects of the magic and animation was ok and they managed to fit 3 volumes of an arc into 8(?) episodes(much to my dismay).

Overall its an ok anime, but you do not need to have people read the novel to understand what is going on, cause if that was the case, you might as well read the novel. I would and will not recommend this anime. You are better off reading the LN or even the manga.

Gurren Lagann was great, loads character development for most characters, great and memorable scenes, the gradual building stakes followed by bigger climax's. A really fun watch.

Also dat OST.

Good ending as well. Feels complete. That said... There's some movies as well? What's those about? Worth watching?

Jex

That seems to be the general consensus and I am glad it is. I honestly thought it was going to happen because I don't remember such a scene in the manga. If there is a season 2 which I think there might be since they hinted at some new characters like Nozaki's brother they should either not do that again or go for a more conclusive ending for the anime series. With the manga its somewhat understandable since much of the humour is based around them being oblivious to relationships.

As I said, that's entirely anime-original, which would explain why it rings such a dissonant note.

Jarmel

Banned
Spoke too soon. It's not just one 1-hour episode, it's two! The series starts next week with Ep0, which is an hour long prologue episode from Rin's perspective. Then Ep1 airs the week after that, another hour long episode which starts Shiro's story.

Not sure how I feel about that. It might be too slow of a start. It does give more time for characterization before the show goes heavy with the action. My obvious assumption is that they're airing Episode 0 on TV but I just want to confirm that.

New key visual:

Key visual flat out looks amazing. Best one they've released yet.

Also not mentioned in the OT but if you like baseball and you like anime and you like baseball anime then you should check out Ace of Diamond if you haven't yet. Really enjoyable show.

Excited for this show. Know there will be at least half a dozen shows I watch from start to finish and at least another half dozen I'll check out.

Yes Ace of Diamond is underrated and quite intense. The newest episode practice moment at the start, wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom