• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has gone gold; leaked gameplay vids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would reply but just the fact that you start by saying "the safe space people" means you just want to start more shit. But hey this isnt shitposting at all right?

No, but I had the impression this used to be one of GAF's usual hype threads where criticism/open discussion is not welcome, thus those points were not known. Discussion in the graphics thread has been quiet good in the last few hours. Please forgive me.

So with some features gone, are there any features that are in place of them?

For example, karma and repairing sound like important features that are just gone now

Also, how serious is addiction? I liked that feature

I also feel like ammo not having weight is a serious bummer. It just was a cool way to limit a sense of feeling like you were a god. Is that a possible mod for consoles?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
No, but I had the impression this used to be one of GAF's usual hype threads where criticism/open discussion is not welcome, thus those points were not known. Discussion in the graphics thread has been quiet good in the last few hours. Please forgive me.

Most of that stuff has been well known for quite a while and has been discussed quite a bit in the former gold thread and many other threads before it.

Shit like the dialogue is far from conclusive at this point. You're not presenting anything new nor in a very constructive manner.

Spazznid

obama-sweating-2-e14279160389781.jpg

Take it in.

Then remember that mods are not system bound.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Weather definitely in no way scripted.

ActualBlondFlyingsquirrel.gif

Looks better in the rain.

Oh that's sexy. I've decided a while back after rebuying all of Skyrim on PC that I would buy Fallout 4 for the PC. Aside from the visual quality I can expect day one from the PC version, the ENB mods will be ready will be ready for my second play-through sometime next year. All that said, I'm still not worried about these terrible compressed captures and I know what I'm going into in terms of jank as far as a Bethesda game is concerned but because I've enjoyed what I've played of them over the past 15 years, I remain optimistic about the fun to be had here. I hope I'm not shit-posting my saying this much.

pahamrick

What do the safe space people think of the changes/downgrades?

So they removed:

- Extensive dialog options - Have to see how this works through the game myself instead of judging on a few small video clips and screen shots.

- Proper skill assignment on level up - Let's be honest, the standard skill setup on 3 or New Vegas wasn't much better. Pump points into skills until you were high enough for it to be of use. I'm not saying what they went with was better, but it's not as if what they dropped was that good to begin with, imo.

- Repair - Don't like repair mechanics in games anyway, but that's me.
- Weapon condition - See above.

- Reputation or karma systems - FO3's karma system was a joke, and expecting something like what New Vegas had from Bethesda was wishful thinking from the start. That said, New Vegas Rep system was amazing.

- Hardcore mode - Hated Hardcore mode in New Vegas. It felt like it was something shoehorned in for an artificial difficulty increase instead of something designed for the game that fit in organically.

- Power Armor is now a vehicle of some sort - Makes sense going by the lore of Power Armor. Full opinion on hold until I try it for myself.

- VATS is now slomo instead of time stopping - Perfectly fine with it.
- Only 1 companion usuable at once - I only ever used 1 companion, if I ever used one at all. So, no problems.

Alienous

The choice not to categorize the player's actions as binary good or bad is probably the right one. Let the player's actions speak for themselves; if you form a negative relationship with a character hopefully it naturally adjusts how they respond to you, rather than 'Oh, you passed the threshold of bad-ness".

Power Armour being more than just armour to slap on like any other seems cool too. It's on the cover of every game in the series; it ought to be the suit you wear for special occasions, and making it a 'vehicle' that uses up a resource will probably make it exactly that.

Also, as someone who isn't clued up on the Fallout series why is the consolidation of perks and skills potentially an issue?

sdornan

I think your list is a bit hyperbolic and reductive, but nevertheless the only one of those that concerns me is the simplified dialog system.

I feel like if you truly wanted to be impartial you could come up with a list of things added, settlements and voiced-acted protagonist being two primary ones.

Im not a "safe space" person but.
The VATS thing dont bother me.
Not sure how I feel about the dialog system yet.
The no more repairs is a good move IMO.
Love what they done with the power armor.
1 companion is weak.
Pissed about the karma system.
The new perk/skill system I have to try first.

When I weigh those against the things they added like the building system and insane weapon customization on top of the armor customization. I aint even mad.

Can you put the upgrades in there too so we know the full list of changes? Like I wouldn't really put power armor and VATS in a downgrade list.

Agreed that VATS could turn out positive, but it's still quite the change from the old strict turn based formula. It depends on balancing and execution. The power armor change seems very weird to me, but some people are saying it's in line with the lore.

I don't have a full list of changes as you probably know.

Afaik the major upgrades seem to be:

- Base building
- Better crafting
- Better graphics

Feel free to update.

edit: I don't count the main character VO as positive, as it seems party responsible for the crippled dialog options.

Trace

Banned
Most of them don't care because, who knows. I bet they would accept anything Bethesda throws at them with the Fallout brand on it..... They don't really care about the franchise lore/story, nor what it made it be what it is.

Well that's a little excessive isn't it? We're all looking forward to this game or we wouldn't be posting in this thread, no need to go around insulting people.

Agreed that VATS could turn out positive, but it's still quite the change from the old strict turn based formula. It depends on balancing and execution. The power armor change seems very weird to me, but some people are saying it's in line with the lore.

- Base building
- Better crafting
- Better graphics

Feel free to update.

Base building, settlement management, armor is now more diverse, combat is better.
Power armor actually feels like power armor, fully voiced main character, perks have more of an impact on the game.

What is safe space?

Also, is there a huge reactionary system in the game? Like, your actions having significant consequences on environments, characters, towns, etx

And wow that rain is so nice!

Trace

Banned
I haven't insulted anyone.

"I bet they would accept anything Bethesda throws at them with the Fallout brand on it..... They don't really care about the franchise lore/story, nor what it made it be what it is."

That's not insulting? I don't care about the lore or the franchise just because this game actually looks like a game that I've been waiting years for?

You're allowed to not like the game, but don't go throwing "superiority" around as if you're right.

pahamrick

I would reply but just the fact that you start by saying "the safe space people" means you just want to start more shit. But hey this isnt shitposting at all right?

The word is that survival drops (more?) Legendary items also

Wait, what.

Rhak got banned for this, but people who were legitimately shit posting earlier didn't banned?

I'll pour a 40 for you, Rhak.

rjinaz

- Base building
- Better crafting
- Better graphics

Feel free to update.

edit: I don't count the main character VO as positive, as it seems party responsible for the crippled dialog options.

They also revamped the critical/vats system in that you now have a critical bar that accumulates and you can use a critical hit at an opportune moment.

"I bet they would accept anything Bethesda throws at them with the Fallout brand on it..... They don't really care about the franchise lore/story, nor what it made it be what it is."

That's not insulting? I don't care about the lore or the franchise just because this game actually looks like a game that I've been waiting years for?

You're allowed to not like the game, but don't go throwing "superiority" around as if you're right.
Geez...

Jobbs

Banned

What is "safe space"?

Anyway:

- Extensive dialog options

I'm not ready to say the dialog is dumbed down. Have to play it first. From what I've seen, I'm okay with it.

- Proper skill assignment on level up

The new level up system doesn't appear any less deep or worse than the old.

- Repair
- Weapon condition

I'm indifferent to these. I think it's a nice extra thing to have, but ultimately I just don't care.

- Reputation or karma systems

I don't know yet. Karma didn't add anything for me in the other games, in fact, it mostly seemed stupid. We've yet to see or learn whether there's any kind of faction in FO4 which seems more important.

- Hardcore mode

I don't know that this is missing or that I care.

- Power Armor is now a vehicle of some sort

Don't care either way, if anything it's nice to switch it up a bit and make the armor seem more substantial. Have to play the game to learn more about what the plusses and minuses of the armor are.

- VATS is now slomo instead of time stopping

I could swear VATS was always slow mo, but, in any case, I don't care.

- Only 1 companion usuable at once

Don't care.

Tovarisc

Yeah that is what I was wondering. How are mods on console going to be handled?

All we know is that mods for consoles will be hosted on Bethesda.net and Bethesda will be screening mods, flagging acceptable ones for consoles. What is acceptable mod is question mark, but more extensive graphics stuff, copyrighted stuff etc. are very likely out of question. I hope console mods won't be limited to just basic HUD/UI mods and skin replacements [can't exceed certain size and/or resolution].

I think perks may be better than skills as skills were kind of stupid. Like Lock picking who is going to put 7 or 8 points in lock picking? You need 25 50 75 or 100....

Disxo

You can add more companions with one perk...
But yeah, only thing that bothers me is the dialogue, and thats really bad.
I'll buy it though, hope leakers are wrong.

Vibranium

Banned
Most of them don't care because, who knows. I bet they would accept anything Bethesda throws at them with the Fallout brand on it..... They don't really care about the franchise lore/story, nor what it made it be what it is.

Brb, installing NV, again.

I've actually seen arguments saying that less dialogue/choices is good because of Bethesda's subpar writing, which is sad to begin with. There's nothing stopping them from hiring better writers and using a developer dialogue tree maker (the article about how it works was cool) like Obsidian.

I'll play it eventually, but the lore and story about people/factions during the Great War is what primarily interests me.

Well that's a little excessive isn't it? We're all looking forward to this game or we wouldn't be posting in this thread, no need to go around insulting people.

Base building, settlement management, armor is now more diverse, combat is better.
Power armor actually feels like power armor, fully voiced main character, perks have more of an impact on the game.

That is a pretty small list to be honest. And the main character VO is a detriment to the freedom in dialog options. Perks might have more impact, but at the same time killed skill points and real customization and pure builds. Combat is better, but still seems very janky. Base building will have to prove itself as being more than a gimmick. Power armor was always a highlight in the games for me, so I don't know why it would feel like "more power" now. Anyway, off to bed.

rrs

Anyway:
- Proper skill assignment on level up

The new level up system doesn't appear any less deep or worse than the old.
- VATS is now slomo instead of time stopping

I could swear VATS was always slow mo, but, in any case, I don't care.

the VATS system was designed to replicate how FO1/2 handled combat in turns.

Haven't looked into it, but skills more like skyrim with use = points in it?

rjinaz

- Base building
- Better crafting
- Better graphics

Feel free to update.

I'll also add that looting seems to be upgraded as well. Time doesn't freeze, instead you hover over the body and then the menu pops up and you can collect your stuff. I'm glad they are moving away from time freezes, for me it's immersion killing.

I'm just gonna go 10 INT. Fuck it.

I wouldn't go higher than 9 on any category because you just know there are bobbleheads. That's just me.

Blobbers

So they removed:

- Extensive dialog options - sucks
- Proper skill assignment on level up - I don't know what this means. You mean the fact that we don't get to allocate points into repair, barter etc? Because we've known since day 0 that skills have been absorbed into perks
- Repair - sucks
- Weapon condition - sucks
- Reputation or karma systems - it was useless anyway
- Hardcore mode - sucks, hopefully mods
- Power Armor is now a vehicle of some sort - idk about this
- VATS is now slomo instead of time stopping - don't see a problem
- Only 1 companion usuable at once - sucks

I'd say the dialogue and repair are the biggest offenders for me. I also hate the base building aspect. Honestly, before the game was announced, I was convinced that whatever Todd and the team come u with for Fallout 4 would blow me away. But I'm really not digging some of these changes. My faith is shaken. For the first time, I can actually imagine a reality where this game ends up a disappointment for me. I really hope that doesn't happen.

I'll also add that looting seems to be upgraded as well. Time doesn't freeze, instead you hover over the body and then the menu pops up and you can collect your stuff. I'm glad they are moving away from time freezes, for me it's immersion killing.

That is awesome, I will be doing a lot of looting and I gots no time for delay

Phionoxx

Any thoughts on what perk will be tied to increasing damage for energy weapons like the laser rifle? Thinking it would be the Rifelman perk that boosts non-automatic rifles, but not sure if they would qualify as something else.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Watching this 20 minute gameplay mash up of all the officially released stuff was great. Looking at the depth and variety of the base building and weapon customization has me feeling pretty excited. Some of the locals shown look pretty fantastic as well.

I love the fact that you can have Brahmin trade routes between bases.

Cant wait to see what types of bases some gaffers come up with.

I wish we had official console footage. I'd really like to know how wide the gap is between the E3 conference and the shots that have been leaked.

That is a pretty small list to be honest. And the main character VO is a detriment to the freedom in dialog options. Perks might have more impact, but at the same time killed skill points and real customization and pure builds. Combat is better, but still seems very janky. Base building will have to prove itself as being more than a gimmick. Power armor was always a highlight in the games for me, so I don't know why it would feel like "more power" now. Anyway, off to bed.
Power armors in F1 and 2 were OP! The moment you got them was game over (for your enemies).
But hey, Bethesda decided to make them vehicles. Yay......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom