• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has gone gold; leaked gameplay vids

Status
Not open for further replies.
wdLBhTf.gif
So there will always be a little (or a lot of) jank in Fallout games it looks like?

Yeah, I played Skyrim for hundreds of hours on Xbox 360 before moving on to PC with the Legendary Edition. By then there was a shitload of mods already completed. Felt like a completely new game, which I played for hundreds of hours more.

Guess I'll stick to that same plan. Thanks guys!

Trace

Banned
Okay guys, help me out.

I can either go PC or Xbox One for this game. I've run the tests and from what I can tell my PC meets the minimum requirements but falls short on the CPU and GPU side for recommended. I have a GTX 660 1.5 gigs, think that'd be enough to decently run the game? I have no problem capping it to 30 fps, I just hope the result feels better than a capped 30 usually does on PC.

Or I could go Xbone, not worry about anything and buy the PC version once I've upgraded.

Personally I would say PC, lock it to 30 fps and use a controller. That way you don't have to buy it twice and you would get a similar experience.

Tigress

I feel the same way.

I agree with a lot of the criticisms levied against Skyrim. The combat is terrible, the random dungeons get repetitive, the vanilla UI is a war crime, the exploration relies too much on waypoints and map markers which makes it feel artificial, and in general it feels like Bethesda "consolized" the hell out of the game. Despite that, Skyrim still provides a kind of role playing simulation and sandbox you can't get in any other modern game, at least any game with its production values and especially on consoles..

That's exactly it. It feels more like a simulation which I enjoy more than a game that feels like a game. Every other game I've played (including RPGs) still feel like a game (which is fun but for me nothing beats a game that simulates vs. just is a game you are supposed to beat). Hell, even turn based RPGs that do pay more attention to allowing more freedom still feel like a game due to the whole turn based thing where you sit and think about what you are going to have your character do next in combat. Bethesda games don't feel like a game you are supposed to beat or win. They feel like they are an experience you are supposed to take part in.

And for me, nothing is more immersive than a simulator. It lets me pretend I'm there and even add in my own imagination to the whole thing.

It's also why I'm really looking forward to No Man's Sky honestly.

Zukuu

Banned
Upon fiddling around with my character spreadcheat, I realized that it's nigh impossible to get a decent spread of perks, if you want to maximize them. You have little to no down time in terms of level without having access to a new level of one of the perks.

Since I consider 8 perks essential, I'm thinking of dropping Hacker altogether and go for Armorer instead (since it appears that it's NOT for Power Armor).

That would really solve all my problems:

3 Strength
4 Perception
1 Endurance
3 Charisma
3 Intelligence
7 Agility
7 Luck

This way I could have ALL my core perks right from the beginning of the game and only need additional SPECIAL if I want to dabble into secondary / optional perks (like Local Leader, Scrapper, Life Giver, Penetration etc). I need to know all level requirements, but the first 9 are already down.

Alternative, I have to suck it up and focus on 9 and have to spend 2 points into Str at some point.

Level Skill
1 -
2 Rifleman 1/4
3 Ninja 1/3
4 Lone Wanderer 1/3
5 Gun Nut 1/4 (maybe 3rd if it seems I can craft already good stuff at that point)
6 Locksmith 1/3
7 Hacker 1/3 / Armorer 1/4
8 Better Criticals 1/3
9 Critical Banker 1/3

Tovarisc

Yeah, I played Skyrim for hundreds of hours on Xbox 360 before moving on to PC with the Legendary Edition. By then there was a shitload of mods already completed. Felt like a completely new game, which I played for hundreds of hours more.

Guess I'll stick to that same plan. Thanks guys!

Off topic, but are you cooking up FO4's OT? X pages age some wondered about it, about who is doing OT. I hope mods let OT go up on 8th or early 9th as a lot PC gamers will be rocking that VPN.

Personally I would say PC, lock it to 30 fps and use a controller. That way you don't have to buy it twice and you would get a similar experience.

I just have terrible experiences with playing games locked to 30fps on PC. They just don't feel right, know what I mean? I've seen several threads about it on GAF but have never found a way to fix it.

Off topic, but are you cooking up FO4's OT? X pages age some wondered about it, about who is doing OT. I hope mods let OT go up on 8th or early 9th as a lot PC gamers will be rocking that VPN.

Yup, I've got it all ready to go.

The perks are awesome, all and all very excited. Only reservation is the dialogue, but I'm pretty sure that's everyone's.

Everything I've seen so far looks amazing. Personally I have a hard time believing everyone's impression on the dialog because those impressions don't seem genuine.

Hyperbole? Is that the word that gets thrown around?

I'll say go into the game with a open mind. Negativity attracts alot of people.

Trace

Banned
I just have terrible experiences with playing games locked to 30fps on PC. They just don't feel right, know what I mean? I've seen several threads about it on GAF but have never found a way to fix it.

Yup, I've got it all ready to go.

Damn they mixed the threads...

Personally I find using this is fantastic for locking frame rates. I use my xbox one controller and it feels just like playing on console, or better since very few console games are straight locked to 30 without drops.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Threads merged. Not for the sake of having a megathread, but because an "us vs them" situation has resulted from people feeling like they need to be insulated from candid opinions by splitting off into a dedicated hype thread. Nope. Learn to deal with people having different opinions, and learn to deal with earnest reactions to information as presented for a game prior to its release.

Having a different opinion than you is not "shitposting." Not buying into a PR campaign wholesale is not "shitposting." Reacting to civil dissenting opinion reasonably backed up by empirical evidence by going "OMG I'M GOING TO JUST ENJOY THIS GAME GO AWAY" is the actual shitposting.

Carry on.

Damn they mixed the threads...

Personally I find using this is fantastic for locking frame rates. I use my xbox one controller and it feels just like playing on console, or better since very few console games are straight locked to 30 without drops.

Yeah, I've used that tool. Just get this weird stuttering effect whenever I lock a game to 30 on PC, it's weird. Never found a good fix for it. Don't want that to mar my Fallout 4 experience.

Trace

Banned
Yeah, I've used that tool. Just get this weird stuttering effect whenever I lock a game to 30 on PC, it's weird. Never found a good fix for it. Don't want that to mar my Fallout 4 experience.

Strange, have you tried measuring your GPU usage? Maybe you're actually getting drops? By using the ingame frame limiter in Witcher 3 and then that utility I got my game locked to 30 on high with my GTX 670.

It shoudl be the exact same if not better if you use RTSS. No idea what the problem was.
24xjsn7.jpg

That sweet draw distance.

Yeah the shadow draw distance is noticably horrid even with a gameboy camera screenshot.

Can we all be gentlemen and ladies and not post major story spoilers marked or unmarked?

I'm down for gameplay Gif though. More please.

rjinaz

Most of these screenshots looks like someone is taking them with this thing:

Yeah I really don't understand it. Most people should have a decent camera in 2015. But then again, I didn't have a smartphone until last year and it's not exactly impressive. I don't believe in phone contracts. Seems to me people are using their camera phones from cheap smartphones maybe because they don't have a personal camera.

Strange, have you tried measuring your GPU usage? Maybe you're actually getting drops? By using the ingame frame limiter in Witcher 3 and then that utility I got my game locked to 30 on high with my GTX 670.

Remember having it with both Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Skyrim, when I tried locking them to 30fps. Just feels really unnatural. Software doesn't record any drops, it just feels less smooth than what I'd get on a console. People talked about it in this thread, too.

I dunno, I'm probably just crazy. But the prospect of having to deal with that is the only reason I'd go Xbone for now.

Zukuu

Banned
Oh, gold thread and 20 min gameplay thread got merged?

Yeah, for no reason. Different topics, different threads. One discussed the technical aspects of the game and discussed leaked footage spoiler, the other was for everything else.

Now I'm out because unmarked spoilers, spoiler pictures and everything. :X Urgh...

Machina

Banned
I support Evilore's move to merge the threads because encouraging a divided community is a bad idea and only serves to cause friction. Please be forthright and spoiler tag from now on.

Yeah, for no reason. Different topics, different threads. One discussed the technical aspects of the game and discussed leaked footage spoiler, the other was for everything else.

Now I'm out because unmarked spoilers, spoiler pictures and everything. :X Urgh...

Soon it will be OT time with glorious opinions had by all.

Trace

Banned
This is a long shot, but has there been any indication of FO4 having a hardcore mode or wharever, like in New Vegas? That was my favourite feature of the game.

There is no Hardcore mode. Something like only 5% of players actually used it, so I guess Bethesda didn't feel like adding it. I'm sure someone will mod one in within a month of the modding tools being released though.

I like how some random guy shows up at your door, says "hey I'm here for the vault etc. - in case the world ends and everything gets nuked, you know" then 50 seconds later the world actually ends.

shady as fuck, if ya ask me

Probably one of them commies.

Finalow

I like how some random guy shows up at your door, says "hey I'm here for the vault etc. - in case the world ends and everything gets nuked, you know" then 50 seconds later the world actually ends.

Op402aS.gif

JaeCryo

Banned
Threads merged. Not for the sake of having a megathread, but because an "us vs them" situation has resulted from people feeling like they need to be insulated from candid opinions by splitting off into a dedicated hype thread. Nope. Learn to deal with people having different opinions, and learn to deal with earnest reactions to information as presented for a game prior to its release.

Having a different opinion than you is not "shitposting." Not buying into a PR campaign wholesale is not "shitposting." Reacting to civil dissenting opinion reasonably backed up by empirical evidence by going "OMG I'M GOING TO JUST ENJOY THIS GAME GO AWAY" is the actual shitposting.

Carry on.

This doesn't seem like a good idea.

And there wasn't much civility to a lot of the dissenting going on in the Leak thread. Some, but not a lot. Forcing them together probably won't do any good, just precipitate more arguments. People gonna People, can't stop them.

Hopefully it stays all good.

Now people who wanted to just talk about the game without spoilers are involved in a leak thread.

Machina

Banned

Op402aS.gif

You aren't familiar with Vault-Tec, are you.

Op402aS.gif

so it was vault-tec salesman #1 who caused the apocalypse! That explains why his teeth are missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom