• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

akira28

I know we cannot resist, but there's not a whole lot to gain from picking the graphics apart for criticism like it's going to be indicative of the final release. Especially focusing on pop-in and draw distance.

The Capital Wasteland on PC had ability to look large and desolate at times. Post War Boston might have a different vibe altogether for a reason, but if they want to do big, they can. I hope they don't give us a large sky-artificial borders deal that was as jarring as Mudlurk lake in FO:3. Beautiful vistas and suddenly - end of world.

are you kidding me lmao

how come every time someone comes in to post this they act incredulous that nobody else has posted it even though like 50 other people have posted it? lmao wtf guys

it's like, I don't know if anyone knows this, I didn't see anyone post this because i didn't feel like looking, but did you guys hear, Fallout 4 got announced today? :3

Jtrizzy

The human character models are the one thing that jarring for me. I'll buy this game day one no matter what, but I think it's ok to be a little disappointed regarding the graphics.

Steel

Banned
I know we cannot resist, but there's not a whole lot to gain from picking the graphics apart for criticism like it's going to be indicative of the final release. Especially focusing on pop-in and draw distance.

Yeah. I mean there's even the dog that doesn't have a shadow, it's obvious that there's going to be a lot of stuff improved before release. Not to mention that graphics were never the appeal of the fallout games. TES Oblivion and Skyrim? Yeah a bit, but never fallout and definitely not previous TES.

Some of the missing assets / post processing / graphics / whatever are too glaringly obvious to me for it not to be just very unfinished stuff. Bethesda most likely has seen the big time "downgradegate" stuff popping up everywhere and decided to realistically show what they have done as of now and not what their "vision" is. Or so I hope.

The more I look at the trailer the more just strange stuff I see like complete lack of shadows in places

I have to say looking at stuff like this

UvgnrAc.png

Something really has to be going on. Either this is a really old build, or yes, I have to say Bethesda must be using some major janky ass engine because the draw distance for both texture detail and foliage is nothing short of abysmal.

The problem there with the draw distance is because it's a 4K screen shot. At 1080p on a TV the draw distance will be fine, for PC it will probably look fine at 4K on a normal sized monitor, but if it doesn't then that stuff can always get tweaked by the user.

Chuck

Still without luck
This is Skyrim's draw distance without tweaking or modding.

You also have no way of knowing how far away that hill is in the Fallout 4 shot, so it seems a bit premature to be making claims like that.

We've only seen 3 minutes of spliced up gameplay, and people seem to be forgetting what previous Bethesda games look like. Take a chill pill everyone. Wait for the extended gameplay and then try to tell from that.
Look at at that awful texture work, bleh

iratA

The human character models are the one thing that jarring for me. I'll buy this game day one no matter what, but I think it's ok to be a little disappointed regarding the graphics.

Yep the Witcher Wild Hunt delivered some fantastic facial and character models for an open world game. New standards have been set and Bethesda can't get away with the Skyrim level character models anymore.

The problem there with the draw distance is because it's a 4K screen shot. At 1080p on a TV the draw distance will be fine, for PC it will probably look fine at 4K on a normal sized monitor, but if it doesn't then that stuff can always get tweaked by the user.

No rewatch the trailer on Gamersyde. There is a scene at the end in that exact same place and the draw distance is horrendous even at 1080p on a regular sized monitor.

There's some major weird jank to the visuals in this trailer, and the more I see the trailer the more stuff that just doesn't hold up I'm seeing.

Either way I'm excited as hell for the game, I don't want everyone thinking I'm just trying to bash Bethesda here but I'm assuming this is the PC version, and if so, dear god compared to other modern open world titles like Witcher 3 its just leagues behind on a visual level.

Valhelm

contribute something
That's just plain crazy talk. Holy hell

Jesus, man. We're approaching Watch_Dogs Downgrade Thread levels of hyperbole now, and I really didn't think that was possible.

Does this really look substantially worse than the models seen in the trailer?

H3_E307_3P05_tif_jpgcopy.jpg

large.jpg

I don't really see a difference.

This is Skyrim's draw distance without tweaking or modding.

You also have no way of knowing how far away that hill is in the Fallout 4 shot, so it seems a bit premature to be making claims like that.

We've only seen 3 minutes of spliced up gameplay, and people seem to be forgetting what previous Bethesda games look like. Take a chill pill everyone. Wait for the extended gameplay and then try to tell from that.

Fair enough. For reasons I can't quite describe, both Skyrim and Fallout 3 seemed much more realistic. It might just be the art direction.

DOWN

Banned
Well, hes not wrong. When you try to convey an epoch you have to deal also with the unsavory elements of that time (See the Witcher 3 Ciri controversy).

There is also the possibility that it's a bug =P
He's not right either. There's many examples where heavily fictionalized settings like this don't need to keep to many of the social rules of the time they are generally set in or inspired by. It could easily be an intentional change by Bethesda and the game wouldn't suffer for it except to players with their own hang ups, just as some claimed Werewolves in The Order were fine but no black people was a necessity for their immersion.

MattyG

Banned
Well, hes not wrong. When you try to convey an epoch you have to deal also with the unsavory elements of that time (See the Witcher 3 Ciri controversy).

Keep in mind that Fallout only inherently takes the Americana style, it doesn't necessarily need to keep the societal norms of the 50s and 60s. The Great War took place in 2077 after all, so who's to say that the Fallout universe didn't progress similarly to ours in terms of same sex relationships and race issues over those 110-120 years?

Rainmaker

Banned
That kind of breaks the 1950s culture though. It would make more sense if that couple exists in the wasteland in one of the towns not in the Pre-Apocalypse era.

There are robots... C'mon now.

Keep in mind that Fallout only inherently takes the Americana style, it doesn't necessarily need to keep the societal norms of the 50s and 60s. The Great War took place in 2077 after all, so who's to say that the Fallout universe didn't progress similarly to ours in terms of same sex relationships and race issues over those 110-120 years?

Exactly.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Is this a joke? Those entire hills are one flat muddy texture with zero foliage. Either you are looking on that picture on mobile or, idk what to tell you. It would be worse than any current gen open world game for PS4 and Xbone if that is representative of how things will look at distance.

No way someone is actually defending those mountains.

Lol yo guys. I just can't. You guys are basing a whole game graphics over some background mountains who knows how far they are on a 4k image.

I'm not even gonna try with yall. Lost cause. Deminishing returns.

No rewatch the trailer on Gamersyde. There is a scene at the end in that exact same place and the draw distance is horrendous even at 1080p on a regular sized monitor.

There's some major weird jank to the visuals in this trailer, and the more I see the trailer the more stuff that just doesn't hold up I'm seeing.

Either way I'm excited as hell for the game, I don't want everyone thinking I'm just trying to bash Bethesda here but I'm assuming this is the PC version, and if so, dear god compared to other modern open world titles like Witcher 3 its just leagues behind on a visual level.

Just did, you can't tell how blurry the textures are in the distance, it looks fine to me.

Lol yo guys. I just can't. You guys are basing a whole game graphics over some background mountains who knows how far they are on a 4k image.

I'm not even gonna try with yall. Lost cause. Deminishing returns.

I'm not basing the whole game graphics on horrendous draw distance.

There is also the strange fact that the dog in the entire opening sequence casts no shadows but then does for some reason later.

The low resolution of textures in general everywhere

Really poor aliasing on most surfaces

Very janky animations and not the strongest character models.

I could go on really. The overall image is really muddy, and pretty poor. I'm kinda surprised how much worse it looks than I, personally, was expecting.

All of that said it does seem to have a pretty nice lighting engine, and there are parts of the trailer the game looks pretty nice. Its really a very uneven trailer and if it wasn't for all the leaks it was hitting this year I would be convinced this thing is really far off and we were seeing just a very early / old build.

Does this really look substantially worse than the models seen in the trailer?

H3_E307_3P05_tif_jpgcopy.jpg

large.jpg

I don't really see a difference.

you mean, those two marketing shots from linear segments of mostly linear games? I mean, from my perspective, yeah, I'd still give Fallout 4 the edge (I called it a significant one at first but I'm rethinking that... the outdoor environments do quite a bit more to impress than the indoor ones), despite some of its more glaring inconsistencies, even disregarding open world vs linear context, although those screenshots are definitely more cohesive and with fewer IQ flaws. when you bring shots closer to gameplay shots [1] [2] [3] [4] from those two games into the equation, the gulf grows a bit. regardless of your disappointment, saying the visuals would be bad for a game of its scope released in 2007 is, like, hyperbole dialed to 11. It's not the best looking game ever, obviously, but you'd think it was the worst going by some of these reactions.

Jtrizzy

Yep the Witcher Wild Hunt delivered some fantastic facial and character models for an open world game. New standards have been set and Bethesda can't get away with the Skyrim level character models anymore.

Yes, the comparisons with Witcher 3 are inevitable. I doubt many people care that there are 50 static objects vs. the objects being in a chest. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to what that adds to the game. (I truly mean that, not being a smart ass) Otherwise it's not worth the trade off. I guess it is kind of cool to see the loot individually like that.

At the end of the day Bethesda, with it's storied history and the backing of the massive Zenimax, is getting destroyed by CD Project Red. Both games have shitty animations and character movement, but otherwise it's pretty surprising that W3 looks compared to this trailer, considering the pedigree of the two. Nothing wrong with hoping that they'd use a new engine.

You're true in that they're not wrong, because it would break any 1950s culture Fallout was going for. Luckily Fallout isn't going for that, as it's based on an alternate timeline in which the future looks like the future envisioned in the 1950s.

But I'm sure this (possible) lesbian couple in a highly curated trailer is just a bug.

I don't need some graphical showcase from a Fallout game, but bad draw distance is really awful for a game that's all about seeing interesting things on the horizon. The whole idea of 'See that mountain? You can climb it' would be so much more meaningful if you could actually make out the structures that lie atop said mountain without having to get within fifty feet of them. In something like Witcher 3 you can see the highest towers of Novigrad from pretty much any high point on the map, whereas in Skyrim you can't walk five minutes away from a town without it turning into a pile of rocks indistinguishable from the terrain geometry.

Valhelm

contribute something
you mean, those two marketing shots from linear segments of mostly linear games? I mean, from my perspective, yeah, I'd still give Fallout 4 the edge (I called it a significant one at first but I'm rethinking that...), despite some of its more glaring inconsistencies, even disregarding open world vs linear context, although those screenshots are definitely more cohesive and with fewer IQ flaws. when you bring shots closer to gameplay shots [1] [2] [3] [4] from those two games into the equation, the gulf grows a bit. regardless of your disappointment, saying the visuals would be bad for a game of its scope released in 2007 is, like, hyperbole dialed to 11. It's not the best looking game ever, obviously, but you'd think it was the worst going by some of these reactions.

It's just very disappointing. Fallout 3 had groundbreaking visuals for its time, and Skyrim pushed the envelope of console technology. Like many high-profile titles of this "next generation", the new Fallout seems to offer nearly no technical change over its predecessor.

It's just very disappointing. Fallout 3 had groundbreaking visuals for its time, and Skyrim pushed the envelope of console technology. Like many high-profile titles of this "next generation", the new Fallout seems to offer nearly no technical change over its predecessor.

Far from it.

Lakitu

st5fu

Nothing groundbreaking about Fallout 3's visuals or technology. I'm not sure what you're remembering here.

Fallout 4 represents a significant generational leap over Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Just like Fallout 3, it's not groundbreaking in any technical way and that's ok. The graphics are ordinary but the art direction is what makes Bethesda games stick out (for me) and this looks no different.

Fallout 3 didn't impressed me at all when it's launched, Skyrim did a bit.

What kind of idiot would whine about getting fired over leaking game secrets and being left without a job and two kids then go on to spoil the rest of the secrets in order to kill any chance of ever getting another job?

Well done. Time for a career change I guess.

Lol FO3 did not look groundbreaking at release. It looked good but nothing spectacular. Skyrim did look pretty impressive at release I'll give you that.

I'm just gonna wait til E3 and see what they have to show us then. I already know the final copy is gonna look waaaaay better than that on the hardware I'm running it through and with the tweaks I plan to make moment one, so I'm not too bummed by what I've seen.

What kind of idiot would whine about getting fired over leaking game secrets and being left without a job and two kids then go on to spoil the rest of the secrets in order to kill any chance of ever getting another job?

the kind of idiot who's actually not who they say they are, posting fake rumors on Reddit for people to endlessly repeat

Vidpixel

Honestly, I'm pretty much fine with the visuals. The only thing that overtly stuck out to me as a sore spot was the flatness of the dog's fur, especially since the dog is one of the first things you see.

MattyG

Banned
Aaaaaaaand this is what I'm talking about. I've seen multiple people do this, just throw out some revisionist history about Fallout 3 and Skyrim to prove their point and call it a day.

I really hope this isn't the conversation that surrounds the game until launch, because that'll be a long fucking wait.

Yes, the comparisons with Witcher 3 are inevitable. I doubt many people care that there are 50 static objects vs. the objects being in a chest. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to what that adds to the game. (I truly mean that, not being a smart ass) Otherwise it's not worth the trade off. I guess it is kind of cool to see the loot individually like that.

At the end of the day Bethesda, with it's storied history and the backing of the massive Zenimax, is getting destroyed by CD Project Red. Both games have shitty animations and character movement, but otherwise it's pretty surprising that W3 looks compared to this trailer, considering the pedigree of the two. Nothing wrong with hoping that they'd use a new engine.

Whoa whoa whoa, reign that in a bit. While the traversal animations are not the best and some of the big conversational pantomimes can be distractingly out of place, the subtle expressiveness of the facial animations (especially on Geralt) are among the best I've ever seen. Certainly the best in a game with dialogue choices where every conversation isn't individually hand keyed or mocapped.

It is one of the most successful things about the game, frankly, and it sets the bar for open world games from here out. I can actually read feelings and subtext through characters' faces without it being telegraphed. You know, like with human beings. Hahaha

Nafai1123

Banned
Fallout/Skyrim were never about the graphics, they were about the world building and exploration of an incredibly well-imagined place. The art style drives that and it looks great. You can clearly see a sizeable upgrade in the level of texture detail in the environment and lighting.

I've watched the gamersyde video on my TV a bunch of times now and I just can't see it. I think it looks great. I mean, the dogs fur is bad, the character models are Bethesda tier, that draw distance in that screen looks bad but I couldn't even tell on the TV really. I guess I just don't have an eye for this stuff. Can't wait to see some gameplay.

Top Bottom