• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, I watched the trailer this morning, thought it looked beautiful, came here tonight to see the conversation and people are saying it looks bad.

ShamePain

Banned
The game kinda looks like 90s CGI - No ambient occlusion or proper shadowing, reflections or any form of GI, the geometry looks very detailed but has a very distinct flat look to it, kinda like pre rendered backgrounds in ps1 games. Maybe it's intentional, who knows.

Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, I watched the trailer this morning, thought it looked beautiful, came here tonight to see the conversation and people are saying it looks bad.

I'm excited for the game, and I think the talk of it looking last gen is crazy, but the graphics if it really is current gen only aren't that particularly strong imo. Plenty serviceable for sure, but nothing there that stands out or makes me go WOW

You also are basing that off newer engines. We don't know how old this engine they are using is. Once again until we know specifics about the engine trying to say "well this engine uses all these, so they should to" is what you are really saying. Which I already said isn't wrong, but don't be mad when somebody tells you that its annoying. The road goes both ways, if you want to criticize then you should be able to accept all criticism back. I, along with others, find it annoying that people complain/criticize before they know specifics about things. If you cannot accept that, then you should not criticize in the first place.

To be fair, Bethesda's a proclaimed triple A producer and whether or not fair to their goals, they would inevitably be held to a similar standard to what other triple As have produced and achieved visually in the 4 years and generation leap since Skyrim (and as the poster postulated, there are have been ways to get around performance issues of the interactive open world design). This goes doubly true if the rumors of a new next gen engine with new assets is true.

On the topic of open world comparisions, keep in mind also that the witcher 3 practically has no loading screen except between major zones due to a inhouse draw call loading technique. We don't know if Bethesda will try to implement in a similar fashion that would place more burden on performance, or if they will stick to the same isolated levels design of the last game. (Possible, since the environments are typically more complex than other open world games.) Having zero loading would answer quite a few questions, but I don't think it is wise right now to rule out the reasons both for and against the draws calls as the hypothesized reason for the (seemingly unanimous consensus on the) serviceable if unimpressive visuals.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Yeah breh, they suddenly scraped the engine they've been using since darn Morrowind and they have come up with a new one that somehow looks exactly the same and has even several of the issues of Gamebryo?
Sure, that sounds plausible. That's a "new engine" alright.

Lol this is getting out of control

Valhelm

contribute something
Just a little reminder of what previous gen Fallout looked like:

Fallout 4 is a generational step forward from that muddy, brown mess. Seriously, just because a game doesn't trounce everything visually doesn't mean it looks bad.

That's in no way worse. The brighter palate is kind of cool, but I don't understand why the character models look so primitive and why the animation is so clunky. This is a significant graphical step below Skyrim, which I find astounding.

I have to say looking at stuff like this

UvgnrAc.png

Something really has to be going on. Either this is a really old build, or yes, I have to say Bethesda must be using some major janky ass engine because the draw distance for both texture detail and foliage is nothing short of abysmal.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Yeah, that doesn't mean we are not hyped too. I really want to go back to Fallout but I want to be there day one and not wait for some mods to come out first.

I'm only speculating just like you. Physical based rendering makes a big difference: metal looks like metal and lights spreads more realistically so the models actually look "there" (hard to find the words). IK is a bit wilder speculation but some pages back there were some screenshots where a character was clearly floating so the speculation is that they are not using IK to have the feet stick to the ground or something else.

Maybe Creation/Gamebryo doesn't support it? that would explain a lot and it could be worse because that would mean they haven't upgrade it despite making so much money with it.

I don't think that character is floating i think that is a shadow bias issue. Basically the shadows aren't starting in the right spot which gives the illusion he is floating.

If he is floating that is a collision issue not an ik one.

I do A LOT of work with animations and the programming involved with getting them to work right. I don't see any evidence in the trailer for or against them using ik. Gameplay will show that though.

Lautaro

At least we know there won't be downgrade haha

Everything can only improve now.

I don't think that character is floating i think that is a shadow bias issue. Basically the shadows aren't starting in the right spot which gives the illusion he is floating.

If he is floating that is a collision issue not an ik one.

I do A LOT of work with animations and the programming involved with getting them to work right. I don't see any evidence in the trailer for or against them using ik. Gameplay will show that though.

Yeah, blaming IK was kind of a long shot... shadows look pretty bad though.

DOWN

Banned

UvgnrAc.png

Something really has to be going on. Either this is a really old build, or yes, I have to say Bethesda must be using some major janky ass engine because the draw distance for both texture detail and foliage is nothing short of abysmal.

it's this one and it isn't new

Piggus

More like a hop than a leap. People were just hoping Bethesda would ditch their shoddy engine once and for all and embrace some modern tech. Some disappointment is understandable.

Fallout 3 to Skyrim was a hop. This is much more than that.

Just because it's based on the same engine doesn't mean it's still not a huge improvement over Fallout 3. And just because Gamebryo didn't work well on obscure PowerPC-based consoles doesn't mean it's automatically destined to run poorly on x86 systems, which traditionally it has run much better on.

That's in no way worse. The brighter palate is kind of cool, but I don't understand why the character models look so primitive and why the animation is so clunky. This is a significant graphical step below Skyrim, which I find astounding.

lmao

I'd really like to see you prove the second point with some 360 or PS3 screens of Skyrim. Maybe you need to seek out some screens yourself to see that your hilarious hyperbole doesn't quite match up with reality.

People have bad memories and a really messed up sense of perspective.

Ok, I'm back on the hype train. The more times I watch the trailer the more impressed I am. The animation of the dog IMO is fantastic. This is the first time in a game I actually feel somewhat of a connection to a pet. Visually it's growing on me. I'm loving the diverse color palette especially comapred to previous Fallout games. Really excited.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

UvgnrAc.png

What? That texture detail looks fine. You don't even have an gauge to see how far that actually is in the background.
I think I'm gonna have to take a break from GAF

it's this one and it isn't new

I know but, this is some shockingly bad stuff. I refuse to believe the final product will be that poor. The only way I could see it, is its actually cross-gen and Bethesda are ignoring those versions for their announcements, or the plan was cross gen and they scrapped those versions after looking at software sales numbers and are now expanding the engine.

I'm hoping its the latter and by the time we hit release they are able to make some improvements. Because some of this stuff from a technical level is.....very very very poor.

What? That texture detail looks fine. You don't even have an gauge to see how far that actually is in the background.

Is this a joke? Those entire hills are one flat muddy texture with zero foliage. Either you are looking on that picture on mobile or, idk what to tell you. It would be worse than any current gen open world game for PS4 and Xbone if that is representative of how things will look at distance.

I'm excited for the game, and I think the talk of it looking last gen is crazy, but the graphics if it really is current gen only aren't that particularly strong imo. Plenty serviceable for sure, but nothing there that stands out or makes me go WOW

Nothing made me go wow necessarily, but I think it looks great, I just don't think that it looks bad in any way.

zkorejo

The graphic whores here almost make it unbearable to enjoy any announcement since they go straight to nitpicking every small detail like the game releases tomorrow.

Agreed. It happens for every game from the day its announced till the day its released. Its annoying. Dont like it.. then dont buy it and just wait for something better looking. there are way more important things that make the games. It seems its only the graphics that majority cares about.

120v

Same here... feeling like a bizarro world.

I did notice the character models were kind of last gen-y but I just shrugged it off since it probably means better performance. If this were elder scrolls 6 I just miiiight grab a pitchfork along with everybody else but fallout was never really about blowing you out of the water with visuals, and this is one of the first open world games this gen

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

No way someone is actually defending those mountains.

Starviper

My issue with Fallout 4 is the engine does not look like a major improvement over Skyrim. It's the same engine.

It doesn't look bad, it just doesn't look like they're doing anything different. It's like the yearly iterations of CoD.

I'll still be playing and enjoying it but with how much money Bethesda makes I wish they could really push the limits rather than sticking with what they're used to.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Instead of using color, spec, normal, PBR is color, roughness, metalness.
Err, not quite. PBR still uses normal maps. The key differences are that less lighting information (AO, highlights etc...) is baked into the diffuse map and that lighting obeys physical laws such as conservation of energy and reacts appropriately to material type and microsuface detail.

The metalness workflow generally uses the following maps:
Albedo/Diffuse, Normal, Metallic, Roughness and sometimes AO/Cavity.

The specular/glossness workflow uses:
Albedo/Diffuse, Normal, Specular, Gloss and sometimes AO/Cavity.

But yeah, at this stage it doesn't look like any form of PBR is in play, though as another poster said, the art style in general seems to look a little like 90s CGI, so maybe by E3 we'll have a better idea of what they're going for/using. Certainly interesting and a lot more appealing than vanilla FO3/NV or even Skyrim's bleakness though.

Gamebryo lives on I see. That's hugely disappointing,

How often do games improve graphically, from the first trailer to release?

I guess I'm just not too worried about graphics, my main concern is that they're focusing on releasing it with minimal bugs

Steel

Banned
That kind of breaks the 1950s culture though. It would make more sense if that couple exists in the wasteland in one of the towns not in the Pre-Apocalypse era.

I agree, actually. Then again, thinking about it, by 1950s culture you'd still have racism as a big thing and separate but equal, and that's not brought up anywhere(yeah that last part wouldn't apply to Boston, but still).

i guess i just wait until the community modded the shit out of this...while i´m happy that we get a new FO, the visuals are disappointing. At least hairwork the goddamn dog for christ sake.

Valhelm

contribute something

I did notice the character models were kind of last gen-y but I just shrugged it off since it probably means better performance. If this were elder scrolls 6 I just miiiight grab a pitchfork along with everybody else but fallout was never really about blowing you out of the water with visuals, and this is one of the first open world games this gen

"Last gen" is too kind, honestly. They look bad even for 2007. I'm very excited about Fallout 4 and its setting, but its visuals seem far from promising.

Protomanx13

Neo Member
I'm hoping its the latter and by the time we hit release they are able to make some improvements. Because some of this stuff from a technical level is.....very very very poor.

This is a prediction, but I think the opening and ending cut scene may be render differently. Some scene has great draw distance. Well, not as bad as what you posted

Untitled_zpsbobzbvpd.jpg

edit: now that i think about it, Far Cry 3/4 has terrible draw distance too. Trees would pop-in like there's no tomorrow

The image I posted above is objectively bad. That draw distance detail is last gen levels. Now the entire image itself? No, but those hills in the background, whoa

Agreed, didn't see that image until I posted, I just watched the trailer and commented. I guess I'm just gonna give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being, although those hills suck, I like a lot of the other stuff.

Piggus

"Last gen" is too kind, honestly. They look bad even for 2007. I'm very excited about Fallout 4 and its setting, but its visuals seem far from promising.

Jesus, man. We're approaching Watch_Dogs Downgrade Thread levels of hyperbole now, and I really didn't think that was possible.

RedAssedApe

Banned
like the color. but yeah the visuals don't seem up to par with some of the games already out. character models especially. looks like previous bethesda games where the facial models are going to be bad :\

MattyG

Banned
Skyrim was and is a beautiful game.

rpgskyrimscreenshotart1.png

Fallout 4 appears to have much rougher edges and a shorter draw distance. Much worse, though, the character models look and behave like mechanical dolls.
This is Skyrim's draw distance without tweaking or modding.

You also have no way of knowing how far away that hill is in the Fallout 4 shot, so it seems a bit premature to be making claims like that.

We've only seen 3 minutes of spliced up gameplay, and people seem to be forgetting what previous Bethesda games look like. Take a chill pill everyone. Wait for the extended gameplay and then try to tell from that.

rhandino

Banned

Bethesda + Good performance

0ef479599c.gif

The game indeed look better than the their previous games but from other threads people were expecting more... can't blame them tbh.

That car and the floating robot butlers don't look a wink out of place, but how in the world can this 1950s piece stand with interracial lesbians?

Well, hes not wrong. When you try to convey an epoch you have to deal also with the unsavory elements of that time (See the Witcher 3 Ciri controversy).

There is also the possibility that it's a bug =P

DOWN

Banned
That kind of breaks the 1950s culture though. It would make more sense if that couple exists in the wasteland in one of the towns not in the Pre-Apocalypse era.

That car and the floating robot butlers don't look a wink out of place, but how in the world can this 1950s piece stand with interracial lesbians?

UberLevi

The game looks great in motion. Honestly the only things that make it look iffy are the lack of anti-aliasing and the low-res textures in some places. Both of which can easily be improved on. The game isn't out yet guys, so there's a chance it'll improve visually if you're really that upset that an open world Bethesda game isn't the pinnacle of next-gen graphics.

This really isn't as big of a deal as it's being made out to be. The art direction for this game looks great so far. There's just a couple of technical snags to be adjusted.

HooYaH

like the color. but yeah the visuals don't seem up to par with some of the games already out. character models especially. looks like previous bethesda games where the facial models are going to be bad :\

Pfft when it's released, we're going to get doll/anime faces and nudie bodies.

Rocketz

I never played FO3 or Skyrim but I'm excited to play this. My only complaint is the character models and maybe some of the animations but that's not too big of issue for me as long as the game is good. Hopefully when we see gameplay everything looks alright.

Agreed, didn't see that image until I posted, I just watched the trailer and commented. I guess I'm just gonna give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being, although those hills suck, I like a lot of the other stuff.

I can agree with that. I don't dislike all of it, and as a whole the IQ doesn't seem to be "last gen" like some have stated, though for sure it also doesn't look great compared to other open world titles we have now like Witcher 3.

I really wonder if they just kept the Creation engine because of the huge success of the modding community on PC. Maybe that alone, and the huge sales legs its had because of that, made them say screw making a new engine and keep the old.

Blizzard

Banned
i guess i just wait until the community modded the shit out of this...while i´m happy that we get a new FO, the visuals are disappointing. At least hairwork the goddamn dog for christ sake.
As much as hairworks tanked performance for me in Witcher 3 with 1-2 characters in an indoor scene, on a 2GB 770, I'd hate to see it on an entire dog. I'll upgrade eventually but for now the visuals aren't worth that particular performance hit for me. :p

Top Bottom