• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT| Atom Bomb Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
For people saying they don't wanna ruin the game by getting a strong weapon at the start at level 5 or 6 I booked it to a place filled with high level enemies I should NOT be fighting and ran past them as Dogmeat distracted them. Went all the way down some mines, fought some strong ass ghouls and got this badass sword with like 54 regular damage that has bleed. Drakesword 2.0.

To be fair I already bought a strong sword from a vendor too that has the same damage but I can only give it lightning damage later on when I have 1 more rank in blacksmith and 1 in science. I don't think I'll ever need a second rank in sience, at least not for now maybe later.

Do you have the guide? Can you tell me where to go to get that and some other strong weapons? I'm level 8 but I really want to go to a challenging area.

I'm at Lexington now and it's huge.

Any equivalent to the Chinese stealth suit in this one for those with the guide?

I'd like to know this too. It's my favourite piece of equipment in FO3.

daman824

Help gaf! Whenever I scrap something the parts don't show up under "junk" in my inventory.

Is this a glitch? Or something they changed in the patch?

I deleted all my saves and started a new game but that didn't fix it!!!

One area where this game does deserve criticism is the dialogue system. Not only is it buggy, it's too streamlined for a game of this nature.

I understand the protag is now voiced, but still, to have every conversation play out on rails, with the player just interjecting an often inconsequential response inbetween every NPC response really isn't great.

I'm not that far yet though so maybe there are NPCs you can strike up proper convos with and actually run through some questions, etc. It just feels too automated at the moment.

N° 2048

Help gaf! Whenever I scrap something the parts don't show up under "junk" in my inventory.

edit: confused your question, sorry.

Lakitu

st5fu

It automatically appears when you use a workshop or crafting. It doesn't stay in your inventory.

I plowed through exington last night on Very Hard for three hours, Make sure you don't miss the bobblehead at the very top of the stairs outside. Raiders everywhere.

Thanks! I won't miss it.

Timeaisis

This game seems a lot harder than the other ones...
I don't really like the changes to VATS and I don't have enough good weapons to FPS-mode everything.

Menthuss

I'm not even that far into the game and already the roleplaying elements are seriously disappointing me.

I came across 2 people holding someone at gunpoint.
The guy aiming at the dude is saying he's a synth and he doesn't trust him because he thinks he'll go running to the Institute and rat them out.
First off, what the fuck is a synth and what's the hell is the Institute? Have I been sleeping and am I as a player supposed to know what these are at this point?
Secondly, why do I only have 4 dialogue options, 3 of which involve convincing the other dude to spare him and the other one to encourage killing him. Why can't I first ask more questions, like what a Synth is?
My character seems to already know what they are despite never having heard of either thing before which make no fucking sense.

If I didn't know any better I'd say this is Bethesda's first venture into the RPG genre.

Which companions are more evil...i.e, won't get upset with me stealing? That's a main component of my stealth character and so far all my companions sans dogmeat get pissed.

An important question I have...I don't own the game yet but I'd like to know about this, if anyone's come across it.

I've already read about the pre-war money thing, how it's good to sell but is considered junk, so you might want to save it instead.

Past games have always had random items suddenly gaining importance, and then you slap your forehead for ignoring all those items you saw before that you should've been saving. Walter in Megaton wants scrap metal. The Brotherhood librarian wants unburned pre-war books. The ghoul making Ultrajet wants Sugar Bombs, that sort of thing.

Has anyone encountered anything like that in this game?

Like you scrap all your brooms for the whole game and then you find this lady who thinks she is a witch and will give you tons of caps and XP for any brooms you bring her.

Any tips on how I should set up my specials/perks?

Having high Charisma is important to me due to the added dialogue options when you have a high Charisma, which can effect some quests. I usually play as a character with guns with some sneaking. Also, high weight limit is important as well. but willing to lower the amount of points for this for others specials

I really need help deciding what points goes where :(

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm not even that far into the game and already the roleplaying elements are seriously disappointing me.

The guy aiming at the dude is saying he's a synth and he doesn't trust him because he thinks he'll go running to the Institute and rat them out.
First off, what the fuck is a synth and what's the hell is the Institute? Have I been sleeping and am I as a player supposed to know what these are at this point?
Secondly, why do I only have 4 dialogue options, 3 of which involve convincing the other dude to spare him and the other one to encourage killing him. Why can't I first ask more questions, like what a Synth is?
My character seems to already know what they are despite never having heard of either thing before which make no fucking sense.

If I didn't know any better I'd say this is Bethesda's first venture into the RPG genre.

This is basically their way of saying they exist.
Also, one option is murder A, one is B, one is stay the hell out, and one gives away which did it.

Your character has no idea whats going on, nor does he pretend to iirc.

Bsigg12

Which companions are more evil...i.e, won't get upset with me stealing? That's a main component of my stealth character and so far all my companions sans dogmeat get pissed.

Companion Spoilers:

You'll want Maccready, Cait, X6-88 or Deacon.

An important question I have...I don't own the game yet but I'd like to know about this, if anyone's come across it.

I've already read about the pre-war money thing, how it's good to sell but is considered junk, so you might want to save it instead.

Past games have always had random items suddenly gaining importance, and then you slap your forehead for ignoring all those items you saw before that you should've been saving. Walter in Megaton wants scrap metal. The Brotherhood librarian wants unburned pre-war books. The ghoul making Ultrajet wants Sugar Bombs, that sort of thing.

Has anyone encountered anything like that in this game?

Like you scrap all your brooms for the whole game and then you find this lady who thinks she is a witch and will give you tons of caps and XP for any brooms you bring her.

Overdue books are tied to getting a magazine.

DrKelpo

Banned
how is it that the protagonist sometimes knows people's names without having introduced themselves to you

i encountered some guy in the first hour or so. maybe i was supposed to talk to some other guy before that, i don't know, but we started talking about
the institute and synths
. my character was like "sure, i know about that stuff" despite walking out of the vault maybe 15 minutes earlier and hearing about it for the first time.

/edit
menthuss wrote about it a few post above...think that was the same conversation.

Aces&Eights

So I am about 8 hours in. Completed the first few missions and am just about to wrap up
Super Duper Mart
Back at home I have built a wall around the entirety of Sanctuary and put guard posts about every 10 feet. Will attacker still make it over? Do I just need to line the boundaries with sentry guns and flame throwers? I don't want to spend more than I should but I don't want to over build, too.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Any tips on how I should set up my specials/perks?

Having high Charisma is important to me due to the added dialogue options when you have a high Charisma, which can effect some quests. I usually play as a character with guns with some sneaking. Also, high weight limit is important as well. but willing to lower the amount of points for this for others specials

I really need help deciding what points goes where :(

Lockpicking/Hacking are always usefull. I focused on going towards the crafting perks for guns and armor as well. And Bloody Mess, just because.

Soulflarz

Banned
^hacking/picking/bloody mess are always great choices. The first two are essential to grab items and the third one is just amazingly powerful at times.

i encountered some guy in the first hour or so. maybe i was supposed to talk to some other guy before that, i don't know, but we started talking about
the institute and synths
. my character was like "sure, i know about that stuff" despite walking out of the vault maybe 15 minutes earlier and hearing about it for the first time.

I mean, thats kind of the idea. You can lie to people and say you know the topic of conversation even if you don't :p

Or...did he actually hold his own in the conversation?

im a decent ways into the game (level 19) and it's probably better to classify this as a loot shooter with some ultra light rpg elements

Recall

So an enemy with a skull by his name clearly indicates he is too tough for I, I guess. The minigun makes short work of everything.

Playing on PC, and the interface/controls are driving me nuts. Some of this shit is incredibly obtuse or downright hidden. Maybe someone can help me out with this:

1. I saw tips about my companion's relationship with me when I was doing the Sanctuary quest. Is there some place where I can actually see these stats?

2. Is there a way to quickly cycle through weapons? I know you can press the F key, but all that does is bring up some numpad selection, which requires your hand off the mouse and therefore is worthless.

3. How do you "assign" a person to farm/defend at Sanctuary?

4. Is there any reason to keep the 0 weight items after you've used them? Like, collecting all the comic books after you've gotten the skill point from them?

Trickster

How exactly do assigning a settler to a supple line work? You assign them from one camp to another, and what exactly does that do as a function?

Courage

Does anyone know what the + next to some loot means? Does it denote it's a duplicate of what you already have or an upgrade?

Soulflarz

Banned
From my experience, the skull has only shown on "legendary" enemies that drop unique/modded loot.

Yep, RNG drops, reload if you don't like what he dropped and rekill him.

im a decent ways into the game (level 19) and it's probably better to classify this as a loot shooter with some ultra light rpg elements

I'd argue Fallout 4 is definitely an RPG with light loot aspects.
Since the best weapons aren't going to be RNG found, they're still in set spots in the giant world.

Also borderlands was attempting to make an RPG into a shooter so...yeah...youll see some overlap :p

DrKelpo

Banned
I mean, thats kind of the idea. You can lie to people and say you know the topic of conversation even if you don't :p

Or...did he actually hold his own in the conversation?

yeah, i get it, but as menthuss pointed out, it would have been nice to have an option to say "ok, wait a minute, what the hell is a
synth or the institute
, why is that a bad thing and what the fuck in general?"

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how do you put armor on dogmeat? I tried transfering to him but he doesnt equip it

Soulflarz

Banned
yeah, i get it, but as menthuss pointed out, it would have been nice to have an option to say "ok, wait a minute, what the hell is a
synth or the institute
, why is that a bad thing and what the fuck in general?"
Ah

Yes, I agree then. I mean I realized pretty much on the spot since I know of
snatcher
and other such things with similar concepts, but yeah, I can see it being an issue for some.

Tagged solely for context, anyone whos been following this convo is free to click that.

Bsigg12

how do you put armor on dogmeat? I tried transfering to him but he doesnt equip it

Go back into the trade screen, make sure you're on his side of the menu and press Y/triangle. It says equip, it refers to the companion when you're on his side of the menu.

Put a couple of hours into the game, and just curious if I'm starting to venture too far out for my level. Regarding the Brotherhood of Steel quest "Call to Arms" (literally the second quest you get from them)

I made it through the mission, but this was largely by just letting Danse walk ahead of me and shoot everything. If I tried to step in and help out in any meaningful way I got worked over by the laser rifles from the synths almost immediately. I'm around level 7 or 8, with your basic armor/guns so far. Very minimal crafting to upgrade/mod that stuff.

My question is if this was the way the mission was supposed to play out, or am I really underleveled/geared for this part of the map?

If it helps,
I was just following the main path to go to Diamond City for the first time. So I figured anything I encountered on the way was intentional and most likely level appropriate from coming from Concord.

MrS

Banned
What does the little magnifying glass next to some items mean?
When you want to craft something but you're missing the necessary pieces, you can mark the things you're missing so when you find it in the world, the magnifying glass will show up as indicating that the item you've found can be broken down in to parts that you need.

Edit:beaten

I like that books give you different permanent bonuses instead of just stat boosts (often useless for your current build) like it did in previous games. I actually want to find more of them now.

Also is there a way to add parts to existing buildings in my settlement? I cleared a house, put some beds inside and wanted to add doors but game doesn't allow me to place them.

What Im loving so far is the fact that the combat turns the guns situational now rather then one gun being best, what I mean is one gun doesn't overshadow others. I feel as though every weapon has a purpose and should be used in certain situations.

I've played 5 hours and hit Dismond City. I can't tell if I love or hate this. I think one of the things that's grating on me the most is the dialogue and talking to people.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Uh
Thats my point >_>
I personally am not a fan of doing that, kinda feels against a lot of the point of the game, as in messes with my experience just grabbing the best thing at the start with no effort. Some people don't care, some do. For me it depends on the game.
(I never broke fallout but pretty sure I broke oblivion to hell lol)

And console commands isn't a valid argument, I mean, why do anything then :V

Soo yeah, I find glitching thay way comparable to just modding the gun in, neither took any effort to get and gets you it early :p

Lol I meant you can open the case instead of spawning the gun, I wasn't saying go out and do it. :p

But yeah I see where you're coming from, like there is a very clear progression path laid out for your character and totally skipping to the very end can hamper the experience.

Personally there are only a few scenarios I will use the console in a first play through of a bethesda game.

Like if things glitch out on me and I can't fix it by just reloading a previous save. Or If loading a previous save is too inconvenient (like last save was over 30 minutes ago) and disaster strikes I will get more involved like enabling god mode to prevent myself from dying on a bad load in, or using no clip to get to NPCs that have gotten to weird places (I already had to do this as the granny in sanctuary once spawned on the roof and I couldn't reach her to give her the jet). Also very rarely I will cheat open safes if I clear out an insanely rough dungeon and the only reward is a master safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom