• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

Don't know if anybody posted it before, so here it goes: I found something interesting while playing in borderless window mode. While I was waiting for the game to load, I opened up another window on top of the game, and my framerate soared, went high as hell. The moment I put the game back in focus, my framerate tanked and the stutter came back. Can we exploit this to get rid of that piece of shit stuttering?

Samaritan

Can you disable vsync through Nvidia and force 60 fps with RTSS so everything works as intended?

I'm unable to disable Vsync through the .ini file, so this is actually the only way I can uncap the framerate. Re-capping it with RTSS works, but I get some real bad tearing as a result.

d00d3n

Do you guys happen to have GSync also?

Anyway, capping the FPS to 110 using RTSS works for me (try 100 if that still doesn't work). Was stuck like 10 times in the starting vault before I went searching for fixes. lol.

Yeah, capping FPS to 110 worked for me as well regarding the computer terminal bug (only tested on the first terminal in the game, although repeatedly). Raising FPS cap to 120 led to the same bug as before, though. Still feels like a big gamble to run FPS that high ... I am sure there plenty of other things that break at varying degrees of high FPS.

i7 3930k Titan X.
Ultra settings 4K, with godrays on medium, I locked the fps to 45fps and it stays locked. May try and up it to 50ish fps, but the GPU usage can be a little dodgy at times.

Big Blue

Okay so
FX8350 @4.8ghz
r9 280x
8gb ram

getting 45-60 most of the time with everything set to ultra with godrays on high. It drops to so far 35 is the lowest ive seen. I havent overclocked my video card yet though.

The temporal AA at 1080p does wonders, but im so nit picky i can still see jaggies, and taa is really blurry. Wish there were better AA options. Or maybe some sweetfx sharpening overtop of the TAA will look really nice.

Thanks. I have the same card and RAM, but an i7-4770. Still gonna wait a bit for any gamebreaking glitches to be found and fixed.

Wallach

Thank you!!
I understand shit about benchmark and any technical stuff though... Will I have problems using it?

No. Once you get it installed, it is a very simple single-panel interface.

You'll just add the Fallout 4 exe to the programs list (so you can have it only set the FPS cap when Fallout 4 is running and not globally for your games), and then input the framerate cap on the right side. Then just leave it in your taskbar tray (it will move there when you minimize RTSS).

Eyothrie

are there any risks using a VPN to unlock early? If someone has time to walk me though the process, please PM me! Would be appreciated!

Kssio_Aug

No. Once you get it installed, it is a very simple single-panel interface.

You'll just add the Fallout 4 exe to the programs list (so you can have it only set the FPS cap when Fallout 4 is running and not globally for your games), and then input the framerate cap on the right side. Then just leave it in your taskbar tray (it will move there when you minimize RTSS).

Awesome!! Thanks for that!

Impulsor

21:9 INI tweak:

How to add 21:9 (ultrawide) support.
To have this game run in 21:9 without issue simply open Fallout4Prefs.ini in your documents (C:\Users\[name]\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\), and change the following lines to how they are below:

bTopMostWindow=1
bMaximizeWindow=1
bBorderless=1
bFull Screen=0
iSize H=XXXX
iSize W=YYYY

Where XXXX is whatever your horizontal resolution is aand YYYY is whatever your vertical resolution is.

Next do the same for the second Fallout4Prefs.ini located in wherever you insalled steam then steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Fallout 4.

Currently the hud will stretch, but this is a good start and hopefully the hud can be fixed (i'll look into it).

Credits to:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551069501&tscn=1447077828

bumclot

Asked in the OT, question for anyone who hasn't used a VPN to unlock the game yet:

Is Steam prompting you to preload the game again after you have already done so?

I can see Fallout 4 in my Uninstall Programs menu, so I'm guessing that even though I'm being prompted to preload the game again, I shouldn't need to.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The second city you go to will drop your FPS 20-30. I would suggest waiting until that point in the game to optimize your frame rate.

I went from a solid 60 with everything ultra except god rays and shadows to a stuttering 30-45 constant on my 970.

I'm just going to max everything and lock it at 30.

I got rid the stuttering completely by disabling vsync in the Fallout4Prefs.ini and forcing the game to run with 30fps through RTSS. With borderless windowed mode I also have no tearing at all.

The game runs rocksolid so far with a mix of high/medium settings @1080p. And I have only an old Geforce GTX 660 Ti.

Sorry for quoting myself but I checked this on the PC of my sister which has a GTX 970, just went with 60fps through RTSS instead of 30fps with almost all on the highest preset. It fixed the stuttering aswell. Hope it helps someone here. I also recommend to turn motion blur off in this game, it looks smoother to me. But this might be personal reference.

Yeah, capping FPS to 110 worked for me as well regarding the computer terminal bug (only tested on the first terminal in the game, although repeatedly). Raising FPS cap to 120 led to the same bug as before, though. Still feels like a big gamble to run FPS that high ... I am sure there plenty of other things that break at varying degrees of high FPS.
Yeah, the game has built-in vsync anyway.

I suggest doing the ini tweak to remove the built-in vsync, cap it at 60fps and let gsync handle the rest. Feels so much better.

Tainted

Impressed with the performance on my i5-2400 with 970...defaulted to highest settings and has been rock steady on 60fps.

This game def shines with a 9xx video card

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Impressed with the performance on my i5-2400 with 970...defaulted to highest settings and has been rock steady on 60fps.

This game def shines with a 9xx video card

See my post above. Frame rate takes a huge hit later in the game.

Tainted

See my post above. Frame rate takes a huge hit later in the game.

I'll enjoy it while it lasts then :). I'm also in the process of building an i7-6700k based system...so I may be switching over to that at some point during my playthrough

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I've been meaning to ask, is there an AMD equivalent to MSI Afterburner for displaying all those stats on-screen? (smaller font preferable) I do use FRAPS but it only shows FPS, and I'd like to have a look at other stats as well.

Afterburner works on AMD too.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Were you able to stable it out to 60fps in this problem area? If so, what settings did you end up lowing to?

I dropped a bunch of stuff to medium, and nothing made that much of a difference. It seems like Bethesda didn't optimize this area at all.

d00d3n

Yeah, the game has built-in vsync anyway.

I suggest doing the ini tweak to remove the built-in vsync, cap it at 60fps and let gsync handle the rest. Feels so much better.

I can definitely recommend this. The sluggish mouse movement is gone now. Just edit the ini file from iPresentInterval=1 to iPresentInterval=0. I will countinue with 110 capped a little bit more, I think ... If everything breaks down, 60 cap will be waiting for me.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'm so fed up with developers always fucking up key rebinding. Re-binding keys doesn't change the UI functionality keys at all. So if you use ESDF instead of WASD you are fucked because E also happens to be the loot key and you end looting when you are tying to just move around for example. So so crappy.

Edit: I've requested a refund. Will buy later if they ever fix this.

There's definitely a bug in the interiors of buildings even on a GTX 970 - solid 60 FPS in the outside world and then down to 42 FPS inside a small building. Easily reproducible.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
unpacking now (uk).

gonna try get a few hours in before work at 5AM. man i love my sleep but i need to play this game right now.

Not sure what's up with the stuttering. Disable vsync, framerate goes up above 60fps. Enable, hovers around 57fps with constant stutter.

Not sure what's up with the stuttering. Disable vsync, framerate goes up above 60fps. Enable, hovers around 57fps with constant stutter.

yeah what do people recommend to do?
i have a 980ti and a gsync monitor

do i just disable the in-game vsync then use the nvidia vsync instead?

what else?

Top Bottom