• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Pretty bad banding in the sky when its foggy :/

Reshade has a "deband" shader that is definitely worth trying then. In my experience, it has worked wonders.

Be sure to view full size to compare:

Disabled:
maximum_brightness___deband_off_by_aloooo81-d95v06a.png

Enabled:
maximum_brightness___deband_on_by_aloooo81-d95v05x.png

KKRT00

Btw, i cant believe that some stuff just passed through the Q&A like:

You cant resize hud.
Hud doesnt dissapear when You are not active, which they should know that community loves by popularity of iHUD in Skyrim.
You have to use arrows in coversations when rest of a game operates with WSAD ...
Some messages do not disappear for like 3 minutes, example 'Press V to Workshop' notification.
You cant holster without going into Workshop mode or starting conversation.

Oh and dont get me started about size of Crosshair. Like, wtf is this? I can actually play it downsampled ...

So after reading the console fps fiasco, I was thinking of getting this on PC..but I am unsure if it will run all that well.

Win10
i7 CPU 860 @2.80ghz (8 CPUs) ~ 2.8ghz
16gig RAM
AMD Radeon HD 5800

How would this go compared to the PS4?

dcassell

Banned
The second city you go to will drop your FPS 20-30. I would suggest waiting until that point in the game to optimize your frame rate.

I went from a solid 60 with everything ultra except god rays and shadows to a stuttering 30-45 constant on my 970.

I'm just going to max everything and lock it at 30.

What kind of CPU do you have? I've heard it's awful on AMD ones, but I haven't seen this kind of slowdown yet on my i5 4690k

You cant resize hud.
Hud doesnt dissapear when You are not active, which they should know that community loves by popularity of iHUD in Skyrim.
You have to use arrows in coversations when rest of a game operates with WSAD ...
Some messages do not disappear for like 3 minutes, example 'Press V to Workshop' notification.
Which also helps prevent flat screen burn in for those sets affected by it.

These are like amateur mistakes...

You cant resize hud.

Yeah, some of that stuff you'd think Bethesda would have picked up on, especially where the HUD is concerned considering so many of Fallout 4's new functionalities seem very inspired by mods.

I understand the whole arrows thing for conversation because they wanted the player to still be able to move during many of them, the conversation UI on PC just plain sucks regardless.
And IIRC you can totally holster your gun by holding the reload button. Don't think the gun shows up on your model though.

Not sure what's up with the stuttering. Disable vsync, framerate goes up above 60fps. Enable, hovers around 57fps with constant stutter.

I manged to get rid of stutter once, this is what I learned:

Don't know if anybody posted it before, so here it goes: I found something interesting while playing in borderless window mode. While I was waiting for the game to load, I opened up another window on top of the game, and my framerate soared, went high as hell. The moment I put the game back in focus, my framerate tanked and the stutter came back. Can we exploit this to get rid of that piece of shit stuttering?

And to add to that, while the game wasn't on my focus the GPU usage went as high as 90%, but when I focused on it the usaged dropped to 30-40%.

You cant resize hud.

Oh and dont get me started about size of Crosshair. Like, wtf is this? I can actually play it downsampled ...

This is super annoying

d00d3n

I can definitely recommend this. The sluggish mouse movement is gone now. Just edit the ini file from iPresentInterval=1 to iPresentInterval=0. I will countinue with 110 capped a little bit more, I think ... If everything breaks down, 60 cap will be waiting for me.

Lol, NOPE. 20 minutes later i get stuck in the starting animation for initiating a computer terminal. I guess it is the 60 cap for me as well.

Zomba13

Everytime I use a computer I get stuck at it. I don't have gsync like the other people but I do have a 120Hz monitor and good FPS. This is 100% broken for me now.

You have stuttering with a 980ti?

bruhhh it's not even unlock yet for me ;_;

i don't wanna use vpn

but i just need the tweak guide and what to do before starting the game :

1.seems uncapping will fuck up your game if you go up a certain fps

2.and you must turn off vsync in-game and use the nvidia v-sync instead?
3. sluggy mouse is weird
4. mouse acceleration should be turned off

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
so the game detected my specs and set it for ultra quality! everything is pretty much maxed except god rays at high.

is this reliable? i want 1080p 60fps. if i can't manage i don't mind turning some things down.

specs: i5-4590, 16GB, R9 290 4GB.

ido

I just installed it. I'm getting a weird double input when I start. No matter what I press, it counts as two presses.

So when the game starts and says "press any button" i press something, and it goes straight to "continue" save. I back out and click down to "new" which is right under "continue" and it skips it and goes to the next option. It is like it is registering the button press twice.

Any idea what the hell is wrong?

Nevermind... doh! Just unplugged xbox 360 controller and plugged it back in. Weird.

Kssio_Aug

My rig is: GTX 570, i5 2500, 8gb ram.
Ran some tests, and locked it to 30 frames per second with RivaTuner. In the settings below I've ran into some occasional frame-rate drops to 27.

That's my settings:

Resolution: 1600x900
AA: TAA
AF: 16 samples

Texture: Ultra
Shadow Quality: Ultra
Shadow Distance: Medium
Decal Quantity: Ultra
Lighting Quality: Ultra
Godrays Quality: Medium
DoF: Bokeh
AO: SSAO

View Distance: Everything maxed out, except for "Object Detail Fade" wich is set on High.

Screen Space Reflections: Checked
Wetness: Checked
Rain Occlusion: Checked
Motion Blur: Checked
Lens Flare: Checked

For those wondering if they should get the console or PC version, I'd definitely recommend the PC version for anyone with specs similar to mine.

Spookie

Anyone noticed how the mouse control has two different sensitivities for x and y axis?

Fucking morons, who lets that slide?

Amadeusz

Neo Member
GTX670, 2500K, newest 358 drivers.

High-ish settings except god rays, unlocked FPS (120hz).

65-130fps outside, 40-60 in the buildings.

How is a building interior more taxing than huge open world...?

Hip Hop

How many of you are using controllers vs KB and mouse? I haven't decided which one I am going to use yet.

I really can't do first person games on PC with a mouse and K/B if the framerate is less than 60FPS.

Gonna be cranking up the most I can on a GTX 670, so that will definitely happen for me. Going with an Xbox One controller.

I'm pretty used to a controller with the Fallout series though as the previous games I completed on the Xbox.

xkramz

I was getting 50-60fps with gtx 970 ultra 1440p with God ray medium.

I had a driver error now my fps is 20-30 wtf happened! All the settings are the same as they were before

Krakn3Dfx

Those graphical settings, that pretty much seem pulled directly out of Fallout 3/NV/Skyrim. Not even an option for border-less 1440p.

Lazy as hell, Bethesda.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Will be testing game on:

i7-4720HQ
GTX 980M
16GB RAM
SSD

I'm going to run it at 1080p Ultra, with High Godrays.

Ostinatto

GTX670, 2500K, newest 358 drivers.

High-ish settings except god rays, unlocked FPS (120hz).

65-130fps outside, 40-60 in the buildings.

How is a building interior more taxing than huge open world...?

This is great news to me.

i7-3770k @ 3.50 Ghz
8 GB ram
GTX 670 FTW
Windows 7 Ultimate.

:)

heringer

The second city you go to will drop your FPS 20-30. I would suggest waiting until that point in the game to optimize your frame rate.

I went from a solid 60 with everything ultra except god rays and shadows to a stuttering 30-45 constant on my 970.

I'm just going to max everything and lock it at 30.

Anyone else experiencing this? Pretty big deal.

Trace

Banned
I have mad stutter/crap FPS in Borderless Windowed at Ultra on a 980ti. Switching it to Fullscreen makes it solid 60 or so.

Just if anyone else has the same problem.

Hylian7

Is it just me or does it seem like the game is capped at 48FPS?

My specs.

Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz
16GB RAM
GTX 770

Looking at the ground, indoors, menus, won't ever go higher than 48FPS. Anyone else seeing this or is my PC really just too old?

DSN2K

game is not well optimized at all, frame rate dramatically changes from location to location with no clear sign of extra demand.

Monster Zero

Game playing wonderful on my 860m, medium+ settings, getting 45+, hovers on 60 when I'm splorin. Positive I could run 1080 30 on high, but I'm good

vocab

I have mad stutter/crap FPS in Borderless Windowed at Ultra on a 980ti. Switching it to Fullscreen makes it solid 60 or so.

Just if anyone else has the same problem.

Borderless Window mode always performs trash for me so I never use it in any game.

Gumbie

16GB Memory
780ti with fo4 game ready drivers

Holding a solid 60 with everything ultra and god rays medium, BUT damn this studdering is killing me.

Trace

Banned
Borderless Window mode always performs trash for me so I never use it in any game.

It really depends for me, I use it when I can. Like 90% of the games I play make almost no difference FPS wise with windowed or Fullscreen, but this is not one of those 90% lol.

Top Bottom