• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

golem

Seem to get a pretty reasonable 40+fps at 4K with my Titan X with a slight overclock (godrays=medium)

Hopefully SLI support comes soon

drotahorror

EI0NGP8.gif

B3Pn1gm.gif

Not sure if my 7950 can handle this. Seeing varied reports.

Performance report!

i7 6700k @ stock
16 gb 2666
R9 280X 3gb
Win 10

Game runs 60 fps on 1080p, Ultra settings. Slight drops in crowded areas and places with heavy vegetation

Rizific

8gb ddr3 1600

almost solid 60fps, saw it dip down to 47 when running to the vault. i forced vsync off in amd's ccc, but it remains on in game. dunno how high my fps goes. any other way to force vsync off?

1080p
FXAA
AF x16
texture quality high
shadow quality med
shadow distance med
decal high
lighting high
godrays low
depth of field bokeh
AO off

all extra boxes checked

view distance was left alone
distant object detail med
object detail fade med

Edit:bumped the high settings up to ultra and fought the death claw, no dips. Interesting.

Titan X
4770k 4.5ghz
16 GB RAM

Playing at 1440p w/ G-Sync

Runs pretty good with everything maxed out (including god rays). Just left the vault. Was getting about 90-144 FPS up until this point. The game still runs absolutely fine out in the open, but I've seen it drop into the high 30's in densely wooded areas. It's not distracting enough with G-Sync to turn down god rays, but I may do that if it gets bad. Haven't been able to do a lot of exploration yet, but I'm tired as hell.

I am highly sensitive to framerate fluctuation, even with GSync I can easily see when the game goes from 90s to 70s for example. So I cap it to 60, less load on the GPU and the game doesn't play too well with fps over 60 anyway.

Teggy

Seem to get a pretty reasonable 40+fps at 4K with my Titan X with a slight overclock (godrays=medium)

Hopefully SLI support comes soon

Sorry, are you saying that the game ready drivers don't have an SLI profile? That would explain a lot, actually.

Sanctuary

That's gotta be the messiest 60fps I've ever experienced. It feels like I'm playing a 30fps game where there are 30 unique frames being displayed twice every refresh cycle. I mean, 60 unique frames at 60hz don't (usually) leave motion trails/cause strobing like that when panning the camera. I've disabled the default vsync, enabled it through Nvidia Inspector and set a 60fps with RTSS, but it still feels terrible to play. It's actually making me queasy.

This is exactly what I was experiencing until trying out borderless windowed mode.

I'm teetering on the brink; mouse icon hovering over "add to cart". My rig is now three years old, more or less, it has served me well, but its age is starting to show. My hope is that I can run this at 1080/60. I've got an i3570k 4.4ghz OC with 2 2gb 670s and 12gb ram. One 670 isn't going to cut it, so hopefully SLI will work well. Not read through the entirety of the thread, but it seems people are having joy messing with a few settings.

Still, for convenience I may go for the PS4 version. It's bloody hard to decide. If I can get it at 1080/60 and looking slightly better than the PS4 I'm good.

itschris

If anyone's like me and is playing in Big Picture mode and wants to be able to skip the launcher so you don't have to use a mouse to start the game, I figured out a way.

Move/rename the current Fallout4Launcher.exe, and rename Fallout4.exe to Fallout4Launcher.exe (or just make a copy and rename that). Obviously, just be sure you're done configuring the game first.

SURGEdude

I'm teetering on the brink; mouse icon hovering over "add to cart". My rig is now three years old, more or less, it has served me well, but its age is starting to show. My hope is that I can run this at 1080/60. I've got an i3570k 4.4ghz OC with 2 2gb 670s and 12gb ram. One 670 isn't going to cut it, so hopefully SLI will work well. Not read through the entirety of the thread, but it seems people are having joy messing with a few settings.

Still, for convenience I may go for the PS4 version. It's bloody hard to decide. If I can get it at 1080/60 and looking slightly better than the PS4 I'm good.

I get the dilemma man. But think you're asking for a bit too much wanting double PS4 framerate. Remember PS4 is running sub 30 much of the time.

With not even the PS4 being safe from the crappy performance, I decided to go PC. Do you guys think that rig with an i5 4960s, Nvidia 960 GTX FTW, and 8gb's of ram?

i5-3570k @ 3.7 GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 750Ti

Run at about a constant 45 FPS outside, 60 in some instances. Mostly high settings.

Tempted to get a 960 or a 970 just to consistently run at 60.

I feel like people should wait till they get to Lexington before they post their results. It was smooth sailing for the most part for me until I arrived there, and now my fps is all over the place.

ok seriously, here's the technical fixes I need:

VSync toggle/fix, mouse acceleration disable, sliders for both X and Y mouse sensitivities or at least have them both be the same value, auto-switch between controller/m&kb, hold shift to sprint and give more key bindings.

It's really sad how Bethesda has been doing this for 20 years but stills omits the most basic pc options that anyone (Kojima) would've included.

I get the dilemma man. But think you're asking for a bit too much wanting double PS4 framerate. Remember PS4 is running sub 30 much of the time.

I like to avoid bumping into "reality" and I'm pretty content deluding myself that my PC is still up to the job. I know it's a lot to ask, but one hope and dream. I was really shocked with just how well it coped with GTAV; 1080/60 for much of that game, aside from occasional drops, and with great settings too. Anyway, really interested in feedback from fellow i3570k and 670 users; there's a few of us about still, I'm sure.

I'm so close. An itchy trigger finger awaits more feedback.

Fjordson

Probably a stupid question, but increasing my FOV would hit my FPS, right? Usually don't feel the urge to do it, but the guns take up a bit too much space for me on the default settings.

VSync toggle/fix, mouse acceleration disable, sliders for both X and Y mouse sensitivities or at least have them both be the same value, auto-switch between controller/m&kb, hold shift to sprint and give more key bindings.

It's really sad how Bethesda has been doing this for 20 years but still omits the most basic pc options that anyone (Kojima) would've included.

Yea, it seems like they deliberately want users to do it ourselves just to annoy the hell out of us.

Probably a stupid question, but increasing my FOV would hit my FPS, right? Usually don't feel the urge to do it, but the guns take up a bit too much space for me on the default settings.

Yes.

Blizzard

Banned
I used the default configured settings for a GTX 770 2GB and a 4.2 GHz 3570k and it's running 60 fps, 1680x1050, in the wasteland for the first time.

It feels way smoother in the wasteland than the vault for some reason. Maybe some sort of frame pacing thing because of lighting in the vault? Who knows. I can probably play without feeling ill now, especially with the increased FOV, though I'd still love to turn head bob off.

Yeah it will since it's drawing more to the screen/draw calls, how badly it'll affect you I can't say, you'll have to test and see.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I haven't been able to read the thread, but my audio keeps disappearing. The last time I booted the game, all audio stopped after the video played. Is there a fix? Windows says my audio drivers are current. I'm playing it out thru HDMI.

SURGEdude

I used the default configured settings for a GTX 770 2GB and a 4.2 GHz 3570k and it's running 60 fps, 1680x1050, in the wasteland for the first time.

It feels way smoother in the wasteland than the vault for some reason. Maybe some sort of frame pacing thing because of lighting in the vault? Who knows. I can probably play without feeling ill now, especially with the increased FOV, though I'd still love to turn head bob off.

On my 290 I'm getting the opposite. Perhaps due to nvidia proprietary effects?

What I see is the usually Bethesda kinda ugly, but representative of what I'd expect.

AMD x8 9590 5.2ghz (poor IPC, decent gross)
R290
and SSD.

Blizzard

Banned
On my 290 I'm getting the opposite. Perhaps due to nvidia proprietary effects?

What I see is the usually Bethesda kinda ugly but representative of what I'd expect.

AMD x8 9590 5.2ghz (poor IPC)
R290
and and SSD.
At the very least, I'm impressed by the TAA, whatever that is. It looks smooth and crisp. I'm used to the blurry or fuzzy look that CryEngine games (Crysis 2, Star Citizen) or UE3/UE4 games have around edges. There doesn't seem to be ghosting either, even if that T stands for temporal. *edit* Or maybe there's some mild ghosting but the motion blur prevents me from noticing it much.

SURGEdude

At the very least, I'm impressed by the TAA, whatever that is. It looks smooth and crisp. I'm used to the blurry or fuzzy look that CryEngine games (Crysis 2, Star Citizen) or UE3/UE4 games have around edges. There doesn't seem to be ghosting either, even if that T stands for temporal. *edit* Or maybe there's some mild ghosting but the motion blur prevents me from noticing it much.

It's clean on my end too. I'm not sure what they're doing to achieve the effect but it looks better than I expected. One of the first things I noticed flipping from console build to PC.

aravuus

It's really sad how Bethesda has been doing this for 20 years but stills omits the most basic pc options that anyone (Kojima) would've included.

Yeah, especially the bolded one for me. Y-axis sensitivity being lower is uuuuuuugh terrible.

Also ADS sensitivity slider.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, especially the bolded one for me. Y-axis sensitivity being lower is uuuuuuugh terrible.
That bothered me as well but at least it can be fixed in the config file.

It's clean on my end too. I'm not sure what they're doing to achieve the effect but it looks better than I expected. One of the first things I noticed flipping from console build to PC.

Here's an example shot of the edges looking pretty clean to me:
fallout42015-11-1003-pnrye.png

That top fence bar against the sky is so smooth, like classic MSAA smooth.

luna_s

670 + 3570k owner here too, haven't tried it yet - hovering over a decision to get a 970 (Just Cause 3 next month too) I was hoping to be able to get away with it before pascal next year.

AMDman18

Neo Member
On my system it was running kinda jittery at first. Went into nvidia control panel, forced vsync and triple buffering, switched it to borderless windowed mode, seem to be getting now a totally smooth 60fps at 1080p, which is all I want, just a locked 1080p60 on my home theater setup. This is up to the point in the game where you fight the deathclaw and go back to sanctuary. I'll see how it performs in a big city area tomorrow.

System Specs:
i7 2600k @4.6
16GB RAM
980ti SC
win 10

Emedan

What's up with this, these system requirements for such an ugly game.. Bethesda should just kill this engine already.

jiggles

Banned
So, is there a way to fix the broken terminal interactions that works 100% yet?

980Ti/Gsync/1440p/144Hz here. I've heard it's because of the framerate being too high, but then I see people saying they've exited the vault when everything was running circa 100fps, and I think they need to use a terminal to do that, right?

wilddogmeatman

Neo Member
turned god rays low and it seemed to fix any to most frame rate issues i had. Now Im confident to turn other options up. Started to get discouraged with the jumpy frame rate too.

Well I have to run on minimum settings at 720p in order to keep it above 25fps at all times. GTX 770M with 3gb VRAM, Haswell i7, 16gb ram. Looks like this may be the last leg of my laptop being my main PC.

Corpekata

Banned
So, is there a way to fix the broken terminal interactions that works 100% yet?

980Ti/Gsync/1440p/144Hz here. I've heard it's because of the framerate being too high, but then I see people saying they've exited the vault when everything was running circa 100fps, and I think they need to use a terminal to do that, right?

It's random. You won't get stuck every time generally.

I still had it happen even capped at 90. Hasn't happend capped at 75 or lower yet.

Top Bottom