• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

Joey Ravn

Banned
Any word on sli? They need to hurry that shit up.

I haven't tested it thoroughly yet, but someone on Reddit said that turning on Alternate Frame Rendering 2 seems to do the trick. I tried it and didn't notice any stutter or graphical glitched, but then again, I haven't even left my house yet.

SURGEdude

Mouse/keyboard didn't work for me at all in the menu until I turned on my gamepad and used that to go into the settings and disable gamepad.

Not sure what to suggest if your gamepad isn't working either, though. That seems odd.

Maybe uninstall the pad drivers? That way it won't get "confused"? Crazy obvious bug for them to miss.

SURGEdude

That's another incredibly odd decision. Most games make you wait through unskippable videos. Bethesda put a video before the main menu that's permanently skippable if you touch any button? :p

I even tried deleting Fallout4.ini and Fallout4Prefs.ini...still goes straight to the 3D menu after the static.

Bethesda reads your soul. No more video for you!

Forcing SLI to alternate frame rendering 2 mode in nVidia Control Panel works great for me. Crummy scaling though. My FPS goes from ~35 to ~65 overlooking the town as you come out of the vault. ~45 to ~110 looking the opposite direction. 3 GTX680s. 1600p, all settings ultra except for godrays at low. 90 FoV. No frame pacing issues.

This game is in pretty dire need of A) performance patches, B) driver updates and an official SLI profile, and C) a high resolution texture patch.

Mouse/keyboard didn't work for me at all in the menu until I turned on my gamepad and used that to go into the settings and disable gamepad.

Not sure what to suggest if your gamepad isn't working either, though. That seems odd.

I verified my game cache and tried again, same thing. Could it be that I am using a PS3 controller and not a 360 one?

Zeliard

I verified my game cache and tried again, same thing. Could it be that I am using a PS3 controller and not a 360 one?

Actually, you could probably just change it in the .ini.

Go into Fallout4prefs.ini and you should see a setting called "bGamepadEnable." If you change that to 0 it should disable gamepad support. You may need to do it both in your My Games and Steam dirs.

That's if you're comfortable with m/kb over gamepad, of course.

(and my gamepad was a 360 emulated one, so maybe PS ones aren't working atm)

SURGEdude

That's not it. It was some sort of animated old-timey video with a nuclear bomb destroying a town, and I think an old-timey announcer? It played before I ever got to the main menu.

Maybe I was in some sort of alternate universe when I launched the game the first time.

Hmmm sorry. Maybe I missed it too then :)

hlhbk

I don't want to go through this entire thread. I saw something earlier about needing to limit fps to 60 if you have gsync and a 144hz monitor? Why is that? How do I do that? I am installing now.

Blizzard

Banned
That's not it. It was some sort of animated old-timey video with a nuclear bomb destroying a town, and I think an old-timey announcer? It played before I ever got to the main menu.

Maybe I was in some sort of alternate universe when I launched the game the first time.

Hmmm sorry. Maybe I missed it too then :)
I finally found it by downloading the Bink video player and going through the videos folder manually, lol. It was the CHARISMA video. I have no clue why it started playing when I launched the game once. Maybe it's random?

Gotta disable it from one of the .inis in documents/My games/Fallout 4 folder

Can't remember which one and what the setting was called lol, but I'm sure you can find the answers to those by doing a quick search through this thread
Other post(s) say that it makes lockpicking impossible and can make you run at twice the speed etc., so it sounds gamebreaking at the moment. Presumably mechanics are tied to the framerate?

Actually, you could probably just change it in the .ini.

Go into Fallout4prefs.ini and you should see a setting called "bGamepadEnable." If you change that to 0 it should disable gamepad support. You may need to do it both in your My Games and Steam dirs.

That's if you're comfortable with m/kb over gamepad, of course.

(and my gamepad was a 360 emulated one, so maybe PS ones aren't working atm)

Changing that in both of them worked, thanks! Now if only I didn't have early classes tomorrow.

ido

I'm running at a solid 60FPS, with FOV set to 100, and I even added the SweetFX mod to make things a bit less washed out looking. Everything but God Rays are on Ultra, at 1080p.

My rig:

i5-3570k OC'd to 4.2
GTX 970 FTW
16GB RAM

Haven't noticed any issues yet, and I am about 5 hours in so far.

BTW I think the game looks surprisingly good. After finally building a PC that can run games at 60FPS, though, I don't think I can ever go back to 30 or even sub 30. It just doesn't feel right anymore.

My friend is getting this for PS4 tomorrow so I am going to see what it feels like compared to PC.

SURGEdude

Is it locked at 60 by default without touching the ini or is that just something I'm missing? AMD user btw. Seems I have some headroom but I'm stuck to 60.

Thaedolus

Wow, fucking awesome. Keyboard inputs have like a half second lag, mouse inputs have zero lag. Terminals 100% glitch on me, meaning the game is broken. This is fucking bullshit.

i7 2600k, 8GB RAM, 4GB GTX980, ROG PG278Q

Shit is broke and none of the fixes people suggest work.

Goddammit

Word of advice, don't interact with the scene at the center of Diamond City, you'll crash at the end of the cutscene if you try to talk to anyone there during it.

Is it locked at 60 by default without touching the ini or is that just something I'm missing? AMD user btw. Seems I have some headroom but I'm stuck to 60.

Locked to 72 on my end. Hearing reports the game breaks above that. And I mean BREAKS, not just physics earthquakes.

b0uncyfr0

So even with the 15.11 beta drivers ; the AMD cards arent performing as nice as their nv equivalents?

Hows a 290x compared to the 980?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Anyone know how I could get the game to run at full screen with really low resolutions? I can run the game at 800x450 in windowed mode to get a good fps, but it only takes up 1/4 of my screen.

justjim89

Can't launch in anything but borderless window mode, can't set the resolution in windowed mode to my default resolution, even changing the ini didn't work. When I try to fullscreen it, my screen keeps flashing as the game tries to load.

What the hell is going on and how do I fix it?

fleck0

Is my pip boy supposed to be tiny at 1080? it takes up a tiny square in the middle of my screen. My arm is neat but I'd rather see my menus.

That's another incredibly odd decision. Most games make you wait through unskippable videos. Bethesda put a video before the main menu that's permanently skippable if you touch any button? :p

I even tried deleting Fallout4.ini and Fallout4Prefs.ini...still goes straight to the 3D menu after the static.

It's not actually a 3D menu, it's a looped Bink file BTW.

Sanctuary

Don't know what's going on. Fraps shows 60fps inside, but it certainly doesn't feel like 60fps. It feels all stuttery and slow, and like there's some massive input lag going on.

justjim89

Anyone else only able to run it in windowed mode? This is infuriating. I can't even get it to use my screen's full resolution so I still see corners of my desktop. Changing ini doesn't do anything. Any help please?

aravuus

Other post(s) say that it makes lockpicking impossible and can make you run at twice the speed etc., so it sounds gamebreaking at the moment. Presumably mechanics are tied to the framerate?

Yeah, that's what I meant with the hilarious problems I mentioned earlier. Lockpicking isn't impossible per se, for example, the animations are just playing so fast that if the picks close to breaking you probably won't realize fast enough and the pick breaks.

Geez, really gotta find a way to lock the framerate to 60

Wow, fucking awesome. Keyboard inputs have like a half second lag, mouse inputs have zero lag. Terminals 100% glitch on me, meaning the game is broken. This is fucking bullshit.

i7 2600k, 8GB RAM, 4GB GTX980, ROG PG278Q

Shit is broke and none of the fixes people suggest work.

Goddammit

I'm having similar issues and the fixes did not work for me either. Will try lowering the refresh rate tomorrow but the game being flat out broken instead of glitchy (can't progress at all) kills a lot of enthusiasm I had.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorta confused why my game is locked to 48 fps. I just set my display to 120hz and it locked to 40. Do I accidentally have some sort of global vsync enabled? The game feels really unresponsive locked as it is.

Top Bottom