• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

Blitzhex

Does this mean Fallout 4's default fullscreen option is not really fullscreen, but borderless fullscreen?

It probably is exclusive fullscreen, but my launcher doesn't let me set it. It has windowed mode checked and greyed out so I can't uncheck it and defaults to it everytime I go into settings. The only way I can set fullscreen mode is to force it from the .ini. It's probably because I'm using an unsupported resolution 3440x1440.

PaNaMa

Banned
My system:

Intel 5930k @4ghz
Nvidia 980Ti Twinfrozr @1427mhz
16GB RAM

At 2560x1440p, on ultra with God rays low, I maintain 60fps all the time with no dips below (that I've noticed). That's with the TXAA on. I've disabled vsync and use RTSS to limit frames to 59, no tearing. Smooth.

Problem is, I like outputting to my 65" 4K.

At 3840x2160p, my Ti is working a lot harder. GPU Temperatures average about 78 C. And I have pretty good case cooling. (Air cooled, mind you, but two 140mm intakes, and two top 140mm + a rear 120mm outtake). The Twinfrozr dissipates *into* your case, so you need more fans to get the heat out.

Anyways at 4K with AA off, everything on Ultra except Shadow Distance (high) and Godrays (low) I still manage to hold 60fps most of the time. But it will dip down into the 50s and sometimes 40s as I walk around. I'll take that for a single card solution.

I just wonder how many hours at a time I should press the card like that, in 4k. Sometimes I drop back to 1440p just to give it a break temp wise. But it looks so crisp in 4K!

** Just an update. As I actually go out and explore in 4K (just went to concord) frame rate definitely does see some drops. Mostly in the 50s but drops to 40-something at times. That's not bad for 4K single card. Also dropped voltage and card speed down a bit for nicer temps.

So, I have a 144hz monitor so the game is locking to 72 FPS (half)

Is there anything wacky that will happen in terms of physics or is that fine? It seems to be holding pretty steady at 72 FPS. Alternatively, is there a good way to lock games to 60 other than manually changing the monitor's refresh rate itself? Even if I set my monitor to 120 hz it still locks to 72 as if it were going of of 144hz.

kiyomi

I was under the impression the game has no motion blur.

Mine certainly doesn't, that I can see. I had to switch to my DS4 instead of KB&M because I couldn't stand the movement in this game.

What motion blur? It doesnt have motion blur, except for Radial Blur from older Bethesda titles.

Unless there is some magic command to activate it.

Standing.
Walking (not sprinting).

Maybe it's TAA like someone said, maybe it's not. Also, there is some kind of Motion Blur option in the Advanced Options, so. *shrug*

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
well so much for a solid 60fps. the framerate drops way down to 30-35fps in diamond city. tried locking it to 30fps but it's not enjoyable at all.

Runs great on my laptop with 970m

4EA92FF63C92CB2028413C564917B6B152A961D0

Sheytan

Stable 60 fps at 1440p at ultra settings on my system using forced sli trough drivers, but i'm just at the beginning.

| Corsair 1200AX | ASUS Maximus VI Forumula | 4770K @ 4.5 Ghz | Asus H100 |
| 16GB DDR3 2400 MHz | Asus 780 Ti sli @ 1132 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB |
| Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Enthoo Primo | Philips BDM4065UC |

It's not the best thing to do, but set it to "Force alternate frame rendering 2". It gets the job done well until we get proper support.

untitled-3wasvq.png

I tried this last night and it was the cause of all my game crashes. It was crashing every 15 minutes with this setting enabled. I changed it back to default and no crashes the rest of the night. Everyone should wait until they release proper SLI profiles.

papo

I got a i4790, 8GB ram and a GTx 980.

When the auto detect ran it went to Ultra on 1080p, but when I play I get this weird jarring movement from the screen. It is not really like a drop in framerate and it only happens when looking around.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any way to fix it?

bongpig

Neo Member
On a side note, the "iFPSClamp=60" command completely cured my micro-stutter issue. I really wonder why the devs didn't include it at default.

Becauses it has quirky side effects if your framerate goes above or below 60. At a solid vsynced 60, everything is perfect. But drop below 60 and the actual game slows down along with the frame rate. So running at 30fps will half the game speed. Essentially, slow motion. Its not a massive problem if you only dip 5 or so frames as the difference is negligible. But beyond that, slowmo moments. You could argue that this side effect is still preferable to the stutter.

With skyrim, I was ENBed and modded. I set my monitor to 50hz and used iFPSCamp=50 and it worked beautifully. Those extra 10 frames is what allowed the enb to do its thing without dips. But unfortunately, FO4 is not right at 50hz. The frame counter says 50. But what my eyes are seeing says 30 or 25. Very annoying. I was hoping I could runt he game at 50hz and keep the settings on ultra, if I got to the cities and started to dip.

Sheytan

I tried this last night and it was the cause of all my game crashes. It was crashing every 15 minutes with this setting enabled. I changed it back to default and no crashes the rest of the night. Everyone should wait until they release proper SLI profiles.

Seems it works great for the 700 series

jorimt

Becauses it has quirky side effects if your framerate goes above or below 60. At a solid vsynced 60, everything is perfect. But drop below 60 and the actual game slows down along with the frame rate. So running at 30fps will half the game speed. Essentially, slow motion. Its not a massive problem if you only dip 5 or so frames as the difference is negligible. But beyond that, slowmo moments. You could argue that this side effect is still preferable to the stutter.

Ah, that would explain it. Same as the 60 fps fix in Need for Speed, or how an emulator limits the speed of a game via a fixed framerate.

With a 980 Ti and the fps limited to 60 via RTSS, I'll thankfully have little issue then. It would be great if the devs could address it more directly in a future patch though.

Christ, the performance for this game is just terrible.

980ti @ 1440p w/ everything to ultra except shadow distance to medium and godrays to low.

Getting 40 FPS (and lower in actual firefights).

*sigh*

Back to figuring out what settings to lower, yet again.

980ti @ 1440p w/ everything to ultra except shadow distance to medium and godrays to low.

*sigh*

WHat is your GPU utilization? That should tell you a lot about what to lower in said scenarios.

Rocking a R290x
Amd cpu fx8350 and 16gb of ram and getting 45 to 60 fps in different areas. Gun fight are 60. Opened areas are dipping to 45. Will try later to lower godrays and see how it does.

Game automatically set the settings to ultra.

Hardware / Drivers / OS
CPU: i7-930 3.8 GHz
GPU: GTX 770 4GB Core 1280 MHz, Mem 4001 MHz, 1.212 mV
DISPLAY: 1920x1200/60Hz
RAM: 12GB 1600 MHz
HDD or SSD: SSD
Nvidia Driver: 361.43
Fallout 4 v: 1.2.37.0.0

Graphics Adapter and Resolution
Aspect Ratio: 16:10 Widescreen
Resolutilons: 1920x1200
Antialiasing: TAA (Best quality)
Anisotropic Filtering: Off (Best performance)
Windowed Mode: Checked
Borderless: Checked

Detail
Texture Quality: Ultra
Shadow Quality: High
Shadow Distance: Medium
Decal Quantity: High
Lighting Quality: Ultra
Godrays Quality: Off (best performance)
Depth of Field: Bokeh
Ambient Occlusion: SSAO (High)
Screen Space Reflections: Checked
Wetness: Checked
Rain Occlusion: Checked
Motion Blur: Checked
Lens Flare: Checked

View Distance
Object Fade: Default High Settings
Actor Fade: Default High Settings
Grass Fade: Default High Settings
Item Fade: Default High Settings
Distant Object Detail: High
Object Detail Fade: High

NCP
PhysX Processor: CPU
Anisotropic filtering: 16x
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Texture filtering - Quality: High quality

Mods
ENBSeries v0.289

So if I enable Borderless mode my game will not go above 16 FPS for some reason (Even at the main menu)

Fullscreen has be rocking 144 FPS at the main menu.

Also if I launch the game with my wired Xbox One controller plugged in I get no mouse control in the menus.

jorimt

*sigh*

First thing to try would be lowering the Godrays. The Ultra setting is physically rendered (tessellated), and when compared to High, has a serious performance impact with minimal visual trade off.

I have a 980 Ti too, and even at the beginning of the game, @1440p w/max setting, I'm dipping below 60 when panning to more densely forested area, etc.

Next thing I'm going to try is setting Godrays to high.

nilbog21

Banned
This game runs like an absolute abomination on medium/low settings for me, it's almost unplayable

Other games like MGS5 and Wolfenstein run FLAWLESSLY on ultra/high settings at 60fps...and imo look MUCH BETTER than this game

Do not buy this game on PC unless you have a GOD-TIER rig. The fuck is Bethesda thinking ?

golem

I just wonder how many hours at a time I should press the card like that, in 4k. Sometimes I drop back to 1440p just to give it a break temp wise. But it looks so crisp in 4K!

Standard Nvidia temp cap for those cards is 83' I believe. It will throttle itself way before you have the chance to damage anything, so you'll be fine.

dawid

Can't seem to force vsync through Inspector or Nvidia Control panel when running borderless with game vsync turned off. Do i have to use ingame Vsync?

Getting wierd stuttering with just FPS locked @ 60 :(

GRaider81

Getting really good performance but man o man the graphics are pretty bad.

At first I thought the complaints were exaggerated and to be fair there are some nice moments but overall the visuals really don't look 5 years better than Vegas

Really don't understand the gap in performance to what we see on screen.

Watevaman

Is there anything you can turn down to counteract the hit that Shadow Distance has on framerate? I might pick this up soon, but it seems a GTX 570 can only do ok if you have Shadow Distance on medium and that looks pretty bad to me, but according to the Nvidia guide, turning the SD to high drops the frames down by around 10. It just looks so much better on high than medium, though.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but how would I go about limiting my frame rate to 30 or 40 fps so I can get a consistent frame rate out of my PC?

I'm new to PC gaming, any help is appreciated.

Mindman

Cool tip for those playing with a controller... you can rename Fallout4Launcher.exe to Fallout4.exe and vice versa in the game's folder and that will allow you to launch the game directly without going through the launcher first. :)

Mindman

Sorry if this has been answered before, but how would I go about limiting my frame rate to 30 or 40 fps so I can get a consistent frame rate out of my PC?

I'm new to PC gaming, any help is appreciated.

Download MSI AfterBurner, open the included RivaTuner application, add Fallout4.exe to the list, and cap the framerate to the desired setting. Make sure to enable the program to launch with Windows as well.

sirap

This game runs like an absolute abomination on medium/low settings for me, it's almost unplayable

Other games like MGS5 and Wolfenstein run FLAWLESSLY on ultra/high settings at 60fps...and imo look MUCH BETTER than this game

Do not buy this game on PC unless you have a GOD-TIER rig. The fuck is Bethesda thinking ?

The problem with Fallout 4 is that you never know what you'll get each time you launch the executable. Sometimes SLI works flawlessly, other times, the normals on peoples faces get fucked up. I went from dips to 40fps in one session, to a perfect 60 in another.

These issues happen immediately when I launch the game. Nothing else has changed.

What are your specs, and do you have the latest drivers? That's pretty much the exact opposite of what everyone else is experiencing. 60fps easy to achieve with a semi-decent rig with all settings on high-ultra (godrays at high or lower).

Can't seem to force vsync through Inspector or Nvidia Control panel when running borderless with game vsync turned off. Do i have to use ingame Vsync?

Getting wierd stuttering with just FPS locked @ 60 :(

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure one of the benefits of running borderless is that you don't have to mess with vsync. I found using RTSS added more stutter than leaving the .ini alone. I have a 60Hz monitor and run borderless windowed and haven't much stuttering.

Kade

Does anyone know how to stop the fov from reverting back to default when you close the console after changing it?

EDIT: nvm, found it

Top Bottom