• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

LordAmused

Hey man, same for me. Got all settings on high, except God Rays which are also on low. Sometimes it drops from 60 to around 50fps especially in city areas/Lexington.
I'm using a 770 GTX.

Yup, same here with a GTX970. Tried every setting I could find, it didn't change a thing.

Qassim

Seems to perform really well for me so far, like 80-100fps - Ultra preset, 1440p, Godrays medium, only played for about 20 minutes though - I suspect it'll get more taxing later on.

980 Ti
i7 4770k @ 4.6Ghz
16GB of RAM
Installed on an SSD

The thing is though, I can't seem to get G-Sync to show itself as activated in this game, it appears to be proper exclusive full screen, but is it?

bobeth

I solved my stuttering when playing fullscreen by limiting the fps to 60 using riva tuner. I was previously using the frame limiter in Precision X, with no success..

Paganmoon

no, you will definitely need a motherboard, some RAM, a power supply, storage unit / drive, optical drive, good CPU cooler, Internet access, operating system and a mouse & keyboard, also the game and some Steam account.

Come on man, don't be like that. He doesn't need an optical drive.

Mindman

I solved my stuttering when playing fullscreen by limiting the fps to 60 using riva tuner. I was previously using the frame limiter in Precision X, with no success..

Quoting again. Use RivaTuner to lock the framerate and eliminate the stutter.

Anyone else having issues where the brightness/gamma is getting blown out when using fullscreen? Having to use borderless which seems to work fine, but I know I've found stuttering/fps issues in the past using borderless with other games.

Forcing alternate frame rendering causes Fallout 4 to crash when I load up a save game. Weird.

It also causes a lot of instability in other areas too. Like... I can't change my desktop resolution anymore.

Are you guys doing this in the control panel or in inspector?

Optimization! Or lack of it! Just because the starting area runs at 60fps in your computer doesn't mean the game runs well. There are much more demanding areas later.

For example, there are some places like near the top of the Corvega Plant where I have 60 fps looking to one side and 25 fps looking at the other.

On top of the car factory, 60 fps
IL9ILOL.jpg

I look from the border, general overview, good distance view, 60 fps...
BlySrZR.jpg

A bit to the right... 30 fps wtf
GvuzzyZ.jpg

A bit more to the right, 24 fps!
0RvykII.jpg

And 23 fps
Tq6p97R.jpg

The opposite side, the big city on the distance, 60 fps
o6iXLSb.jpg

I try to look at the ground and see if the framerate jumps to 60, but no, still ~30 fps
bRDZ7Hv.jpg

4Z9Wy8c.jpg

In other words, the framerate tanks when I look at a particular area. Why? Well, that area has a bigger amount of houses than usual, of the type that are not a separate interior level, but are in the general map.
So the game I think the game has huge problems determining where it's what in the Z-plane, to know what to draw on the screen and what to skip. Notice how in the last screenshot most of the screen has a huge polygon drawn (the floor) so most of the houses will be behind it, even then, the framerate is still 30fps.

So does anyone else have a framerate that hovers between 56-59fps, and rarely hits 60 with vsync on, with tons of stuttering? Tried a bunch of tweaks, like disabling in-game vsync and using the Nvidia version, but no luck.

daninthemix

Optimization! Or lack of it! Just because the starting area runs at 60fps in your computer doesn't mean the game runs well. There are much more demanding areas later.

For example, there are some places like near the top of the Corvega Plant where I have 60 fps looking to one side and 25 fps looking at the other.

In other words, the framerate tanks when I look at a particular area. Why? Well, that area has a bigger amount of houses than usual, of the type that are not a separate interior level, but are in the general map.
So the game I think the game has huge problems determining where it's what in the Z-plane, to know what to draw on the screen and what to skip. Notice how in the last screenshot most of the screen has a huge polygon drawn (the floor) so most of the houses will be behind it, even then, the framerate is still 30fps.

Do the draw distance sliders have an effect on this?

So after constant terminal crashes, I went and edited my Nvidia profile. Switched from g-sync to v-sync, and now I'm not having the issue. Also did the .ini edit as well, but that did nothing for me until I disabled g-sync. It's a mess for sure, but it's a fun mess. Hoping they roll out another patch soon, would really like to be running that back at max settings again.

So does anyone else have a framerate that hovers between 56-59fps, and rarely hits 60 with vsync on, with tons of stuttering? Tried a bunch of tweaks, like disabling in-game vsync and using the Nvidia version, but no luck.
haven't tinkered with it at all, but yeah, 50-60 fps and tons of stuttering. mostly medium settings (with TAA) on GTX 570.

MattyG

Banned

This is exactly what happens to me. I just started playing with a controller, not because that helps the framerate, but because the drops are far less noticeable for some reason. It feels like shit when I'm playing M/KB walking around the city with constant drops to 40FPS.

haven't tinkered with it at all, but yeah, 50-60 fps and tons of stuttering. mostly medium settings (with TAA) on GTX 570.

What's you CPU? Mine's a 4770K. Disabling vsync predictably results in horrible judder and tearing, with the framerate going above 60. Enabling it results in stuttering as it bounces around below 60fps.

Two Words

Wait until you get to Lexington in the game. No matter what your settings, GPU or CPU power, the frame rate fluctuates between 35-45 fps.

I was at a solid 60 for hours... Then I got to Lexington.
I saw no reduction in performance in Lexington and I have everything maxed at 2560x1440.

Ragona

Any Chance of that being fixed by either Bethesda or mods anytime soon? those drops made me swap from PS4 to PC.. kinda bummed to see this happen on Pc aswell. That area was close to unplayable for me on PS4

Exactly the same experience here, I have an fx8350 and am wondering if that is the culprit. What cpu do you have?

The-Bean

Soooo anyone went to Thicket Excavation and saw this?

Apparently the only solution is to restart the whole game or wait for a patch?

I had this. I fast traveled a couple of times but it didn't seem to fix it so I quick saved and exited. When I loaded the game a couple of hours later and fast traveled back there it was fine.

Denton

The game had shitty frametimes on fullscreen. Switched to borderless and perfectly smooth. WTF

Also.

TAA makes image blurry as hell when panning camera

FXAA shimmers everything

both fucking suck

Lombax

Banned
Should I bother to play on the PC? I'm not planning to build a new rig until next year.

AMD Phenom II 955 3.2ghz
Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950
8gigs Memory

Azzanadra

Holy hell does Bethesda suck at optimization or something? I could play TW3 at ultra, fluctuating between 30 and 60 FPS (GTX 970, AMD Phenom III 3.2 GHZ), and TW3 looks WAY better than this. The only thing keeping me back from a solid framerate in TW3 is my dated CPU which came out like six years ago anyways.

CamelCloud

Am I missing something in the settings? I occasionally dip into low 30s when I'm in the city surrounding Diamond City. God rays are on low and motion blur is turned off. Rest is on max. Framerate is unlocked, but capped at 90 in Rivatuner.

i7 5820k
980 Ti
16 GB DDR4
850 pro + evo

The-Bean

I went there 4 or 5 times in multiple sessions...

Damn. Well if you want to try exactly what I done (IIRC), worth a shot:
  • Go to Thicket Excavation
  • Fast travel to Red Rocket Gas Station
  • Quick save
  • Fast travel back to Thicket Excavation
  • Alt+F4
  • Load quick save
  • Fast travel to Thicket Excavation

Danielsan

So... entered the first town. Framerate tanks on my 970 as soon as I enter a building. How and why? There is nothing of note happening on screen aside from some nice lighting. How the hell does the interior perform worse than the outside geometry?

I played a whole lot of this game last night, and now the controller and the keyboard aren't working at the title screen this morning. I can hit escape to skip the intro videos and even hit any key to get to the garage intro, but after that nothing works so I can't start the game.

Any idea what's going on?

Edit: It's working now. Weird. Probably having some issues with my PS4 controller and that's overriding any keyboard inputs as well.

LeBart

Exact same thing I saw.

Damn. Well if you want to try exactly what I done (IIRC), worth a shot:
  • Go to Thicket Excavation
  • Fast travel to Red Rocket Gas Station
  • Quick save
  • Fast travel back to Thicket Excavation
  • Alt+F4
  • Load quick save
  • Fast travel to Thicket Excavation

Didn't do exactly that but fast traveling a few times back and forth worked. We'll see if it stays that way.
Thanks!

Eyothrie

Can confirm, like in Skyrim, that adding:
iFPSClamp=60
In fallout4.ini (under [General]) cleared up the microstutter. Looks to be the same result as limiting fps to 60 using RTSS

Talisker

Hey everyone, I would love to search the thread In case someone posted similar specs, but alas I'm unable to. :(

How well will I be able to run Fallout 4 on this? I could go with the PS4 version but framerate is much more important than graphical fidelity to me.

Windows 10 (64-bit OS )
Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti

Thank you in advance!

bwahhhhh

Should I bother to play on the PC? I'm not planning to build a new rig until next year.

AMD Phenom II 955 3.2ghz
Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950
8gigs Memory

I also have a Radeon HD 7950 and 8 GB RAM but with a i7-3970k

Also not planning to do a card upgrade until probably mid-next year

Really, I'm just wondering if FO4 would run better on this than the PS4. I know the card is around 50% more powerful, but some games perform worse despite that

Teleporter

Ok the game is amazing! Its running smootly on my end (i53570k GTX970 32gb ram win10)
thing is it crashes everysingle playtime of 10 15mins or so, i think it has something to do with the system checking something at that set time idk!
Anyone have or had this issue? Ill install it on my SSD to check but... well thx!

I'm playing on PC and every time I go to start a new game I just get stuck on the loading screen. I've left it up for upwards of 10 minutes and still it doesn't seem to load. It's not freezing because the little loading animation on the bottom right is still going but I can't seem to get it to run. I've already updated my drivers and restarted my PC.

Top Bottom