• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

julrik

980M and 4710HQ here.

Runs pretty good most of the time, at 1080p/60FPS, Ultra textures, everything else at high, except Godrays at Low.

I haven't installed the latest Nvidia driver, though. Still using one from a few months back. Should I expect increased FPS if I install it?

Paganmoon

So, on the following
Core i7 6700k @ stock
16GB DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
AMD HD7970 (Crossfired, not that it matters)

The game automatically set Ultra preset, And I'm getting mixed around 50FPS so far inside the house. Some very minor stuttering when I look left and right with mouselook. Restarting now to see exact Ultra settings, and change some things (God rays and other high tessellation settings), to see how it runs.

Edit:
Just got a 59.9MB patch downloaded it seems, but could be the Xaudio fix.

Blitzhex

This still didn't work for me. Am I supposed to be changing the FalloutPrefs in the Fallout 4 folder or in my Documents? Because changing the one in the Fallout 4 folder never does anything it seems like.

Now when I try to launch the game I just get a black screen until the game crashes.

This is really frustrating. I just want to play the game at my computer's native resolution and borderless windowed mode won't let me do that.

In my documents>my games. Everytime you open settings menu in the launcher, or the game updates, some of these settings going to revert, so set it to read-only or reapply the these settings to your falloutprefs.ini after you're done with the settings menu.

Blizzard

Banned
The motion blur in this game is the worst. Every time I move my screen gets covered in vaseline.
This probably normally bothers me and I hate ghosting / motion blur, but the Fallout 4 implementation was really nice and clean for me (on a GTX 770 at least). I've left it on (the motion blur enable option in the startup settings dialog(s)).

Or if there isn't motion blur, the TAA is the cleanest I've ever used. It makes me think of Source engine MSAA levels of cleanness. Maybe it's because I'm not doing in-motion screenshots though. It's enjoyable while playing at least.

No, it's definitely full screen
Is it EXCLUSIVE full screen though? If I move my mouse quickly, I can still get the cursor to briefly pop onto my right desktop before getting sucked back into Fallout 4.

Does anyone know how to stop the fov from reverting back to default when you close the console after changing it?

EDIT: nvm, found it
For the rest of us, what did you find? I think my initial .ini change worked, but when I change it from the console it pops back.

Can confirm, like in Skyrim, that adding:
iFPSClamp=60
In fallout4.ini (under [General]) cleared up the microstutter. Looks to be the same result as limiting fps to 60 using RTSS
Just a warning that earlier in the thread it was mentioned this will make the game itself slow down if the framerate drops under 60. If you don't mind the slow motion than it might be fine.

Can I lock this at 30 using the in game menu?
No, there's nothing ingame for it.

What the actual fuck.

Had Fallout 4 pre-loaded but I can't even open it. I get an error on steam saying "an error occurred while updating fallout 4 (disk write error)

I re downloaded the entire game just now and STILL getting this error. Never seen it before. Anyone else have this issue?!

Blizzard

Banned
I asked this before but didn't see any reply

Does the game look washed out for you guys? Worried about my gamma settings
No, if anything it looks a bit dark in dungeons until I turn on the light.

What the actual fuck.

Had Fallout 4 pre-loaded but I can't even open it. I get an error on steam saying "an error occurred while updating fallout 4 (disk write error)

I re downloaded the entire game just now and STILL getting this error. Never seen it before. Anyone else have this issue?!
This is a really silly question, but how much disk space do you have left? You might also try doing a disk health scan of some sort.

No, if anything it looks a bit dark in dungeons until I turn on the light.

This is a really silly question, but how much disk space do you have left? You might also try doing a disk health scan of some sort.

I have like 500gb free.... Steam is showing that a download is paused. and saying an update is required for the game. For whatever reason it won't download the update. I click on the manual update icon but it doesn't do it.

I'm pretty bummed about the performance I'm getting. Granted, I'm trying to play it at 4K (big screen/couch guy here), but my machine has three 980 Ti's running in SLI and a 6-core i7 running at 4.2GHz. MGSV runs at 4K like a champ, though I ran it at locked 30 for smoothness' sake. This? Can drop into the teens at really rando areas; sometimes indoors with no draw distance at all. I'm running with no AA, even (can't tell much of a diff at my pixel density/viewing distance). Just using the "Optimized" settings from NVidia Experience -- mostly Ultra, to be sure.

Had hoped yesterday's driver would be a magic bullet, but I think I'm gonna have to drop down to 1080p w/AA. Prefer good-IQ 1080p with Ultra over dumbed down 4K.

harpingon

Neo Member
I have a ps4, but I also have

A10-7850K cpu
R9 285
8 GB

Wondering which will be best. The cpu is four core 3.7 I think. Weak somewhat.

Graphics is mid range (or, was)

So. Will my pc run this decently well (subjective), or go ps4 ?

Help gaf :)

Edit: pc would be running 1080p at most

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Ok the game is amazing! Its running smootly on my end (i53570k GTX970 32gb ram win10)
thing is it crashes everysingle playtime of 10 15mins or so, i think it has something to do with the system checking something at that set time idk!
Anyone have or had this issue? Ill install it on my SSD to check but... well thx!

Yep. Go in to the properties of Fallout 4 from in your steam library and enable the Beta update. This should fix it.

Edit: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1544136-fallout-4-updates/

LordOfChaos

I heard talk that there's a bug where the physics speed is tied to your framerate, so if your hardware level is too good things move faster than they should? Is this true? Anyone try it on a 144Hz monitor that can match its refresh rate by any chance? Or just unlocked above 60?

StonedRider

What a terrible stuttering right from the beginning! Fps counter shows stable 60, but looks like it is 25 at most.

Switching to borderless window completely removed the problem fortunately.

roytheone

i7 870
GTX 970
8 GB RAM

1080p, everything on max except god rays on medium. Have only just left the vault and ran around the wasteland a bit, but the game hasn't dropped below 60 yet!

SURGEdude

I have like 500gb free.... Steam is showing that a download is paused. and saying an update is required for the game. For whatever reason it won't download the update. I click on the manual update icon but it doesn't do it.

Do you have another drive you can try installing to? Might give an idea if it's something specific with the current one it doesn't like.

I want to bypass the launcher for my comfy couch laziness, so I did the trick of renaming fallout4.exe to fallout4launcher.exe so it loads instead (and renaming the launcher). But will this screw up any updates or patches? There's going to be a bunch of those.

Or is there an easy launch option to bypass it?

What a terrible stuttering right from the beginning! Fps counter shows stable 60, but looks like it is 25 at most.

Switching to borderless window completely removed the problem fortunately.

I also have that problem (stable 60 fps, but annoying stuttering), I thought it was a problem with my graphics card... Will try it out later, hopefully it fixes the stuttering.
What graphics card do you have?

Soulflarz

Banned
Lighting destroys the quality on things, I have no idea why. Can confirm with the images others showed, it made my gun look very pixellated.

Denton

I also have that problem (stable 60 fps, but annoying stuttering), I thought it was a problem with my graphics card... Will try it out later, hopefully it fixes the stuttering.

have the same problem, 970, borderless fixes it.

bethesda, bethesda never changes

StonedRider

I have GTX 970, i7-4790, 16G, Win 8.1.
I tried to mess with ini settings and RTSS fps limiter, as was advised in this thread, but with no luck. Borderless window is my savior.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Glad that I didn't experience any issues in my time with the game last night.

i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM
GTX 970 4GB
Windows 10

Maxed out everything and it ran extremely well with no stuttering. Playing in full screen (not borderless window) and using a G-Sync 1080p monitor. I still haven't made it into any of the big cities that seem to be giving some people performance issues, though.

Sorry I'm late on this, but it is in your documents ts folder.

Look for fallout4prefs.ini "ipreseninterval =1"

Change to 0 to uncap frame rate.

Does this work in reverse? Can I cap to 30 if I set it to such? I'm confident my PC will give a solid 30 FPS, but I don't like it when a game goes higher and back down again. GTAV does that and it irritates the hell out of me.

GavinGT

Banned
The framerate feels juddery sometimes even when FRAPS tells me I've got a solid 60. Are there frame pacing issues or something?

LordOfChaos

The framerate feels juddery sometimes even when FRAPS tells me I've got a solid 60. Are there frame pacing issues or something?

A few people have said the same. Try turning off the in game limit and using riva tuner? It's usually far better at pacing than games internal settings.

Glad that I didn't experience any issues in my time with the game last night.

i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM
GTX 970 4GB
Windows 10

Maxed out everything and it ran extremely well with no stuttering. Playing in full screen (not borderless window) and using a G-Sync 1080p monitor. I still haven't made it into any of the big cities that seem to be giving some people performance issues, though.

This is my exact setup (even down to the exact OC on the CPU). Feeling very reassured. Now if only I hadn't blown $2k on skiing gear, I could actually buy the game... Oh well, wait for sales as per usual.

does the TAA anti-aliasing setting look terrible to anyone else? i'm getting CONSTANT flickering issues on anything with fine lines (mostly trees and plants) when moving. it's like the AA just turns off completely for a frame every few frames. FXAA removes much of the flicker but looks considerably worse in terms of quality.

Okay, when I first booted the game, it set my options to the lowest settings. However, I checked with my Gerforce Experence program and it optimized everything on ultra. Now the game hardly ever boots up, and when it does I get like 5 frames per second. Help?

reposting for new page. I really need help

Kezen

Banned
The game seems to be well multithreaded.
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-Fallout_4-test-intel.jpg

SuperHans

Should I bother to play on the PC? I'm not planning to build a new rig until next year.

AMD Phenom II 955 3.2ghz
Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950
8gigs Memory

I have
AMD Phenom II 1090TT
Radeon 380 4GB
4Gigs DDR3

Its running really well so far but only at the intro.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is my exact setup (even down to the exact OC on the CPU). Feeling very reassured. Now if only I hadn't blown $2k on skiing gear, I could actually buy the game... Oh well, wait for sales as per usual.

You can get at least 20% off the game right now at GMG (greenmangaming) with no additional sales tax!

KKRT00

does the TAA anti-aliasing setting look terrible to anyone else? i'm getting CONSTANT flickering issues on anything with fine lines (mostly trees and plants) when moving. it's like the AA just turns off completely for a frame every few frames. FXAA removes much of the flicker but looks considerably worse in terms of quality.

Nope, with some downsampling i have completely jaggies free image even in motion.

Sickbean

I've got a 2500K at 4.3GHz, a Samsung SSD and and 970, but only 4GB of RAM.

Will I be okay??

edit: Just seen post above. Seems like I will.

Why do devs keep stating 8GB minimum when 4GB is fine??

Denton

It does not flicker, but it smears the image, blurs the plants and stuff. Looks terrible in motion. But then FXAA shimmers like hell. Both suck.

SuperHans

I've got a 2500K at 4.3GHz, a Samsung SSD and and 970, but only 4GB of RAM.

Will I be okay??

edit: Just seen post above. Seems like I will.

Why do devs keep stating 8GB minimum when 4GB is fine??

I was worried it wouldn't boot as I only have 4GB. But its grand so far. Game looks great too compared to New Vegas and 3.

For anyone else that's suffering crazy low performance in bigger cities (e.g. Lexington), you gotta lower your shadow distance to medium.

I have shadow distance to medium and godrays to low and I'm finally getting 60 FPS where I was getting 42 FPS before.

980ti @ 1440p, all other settings ultra.

This helped a ton. Thank you.

Top Bottom