• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

OraleeWey

377160_2015-11-09_000vyqyq.png

1440p dowsampled to 1080p Maxed out

aravuus

As expected, insane mouse lag in the menus, probably in-game too. How do I turn off vsync?

At least I hope it's that

Eh, it's not so bad after going from fullscreen to borderless window.. Which, of course, is the BETTER option.

This'll do for now. Dropped the god rays to medium and turned AA off, hopefully my 970 can keep a stable 60fps now with otherwise ultra settings.

Arkanius

My 280X can get 30 FPS with everything on Ultra + Godrays High on 1440p?
What

I bet I can reach 60FPS if I disble the GodRays

GRaider81

Time and time again i see no SLI support.

I often wonder what the point in it is? Unless you have SLI Titans arent you just better getting a single card upgrade?

Or am I missing something?

Irobot82

What

You just gave me great news. My highly overclocked 7950 should get some decent FPS then, I could care less about god rays. Turn down shadows some and BAM. Getting those FPS.

What type of performance could I expect, you guys? I don't know if Canyourunit is a reliable site, but it's telling me my PC falls below what is recommended:

i5-3570K @ 3.40 Ghz
Radeon 7950 3GB
8GB RAM

iddqd

Already had one crash, hehe.
Let's see if I can repeat it.
(I have a new machine, everything was set on ultra by the game)

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Seems like Ultra God Rays cause less blur on the objects behind than the High God Rays. At least to my eyes.

When they interact with transparencies there can be an ugly blurring. Example: http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...-interactive-comparison-005-ultra-vs-low.html

If you want to see precisely what's happening with the setting look at http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...#fallout-4-godrays-quality-config-file-tweaks

TLDR: Quarter-res downsample on Low-High, half-res downsample on Ultra, detail level and accuracy of lighting increased, temporal instability decreased.

Karak

My gtx 980refuses to run this well with the oddest speed up and slow down hitch in graphics I have ever seen. About every 1.5 seconds it seems to slow down then speed back up...then slow down.

daninthemix

When they interact with transparencies there can be an ugly blurring. Example: http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...-interactive-comparison-005-ultra-vs-low.html

If you want to see precisely what's happening with the setting look at http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...#fallout-4-godrays-quality-config-file-tweaks

TLDR: Quarter-res downsample on Low-High, half-res downsample on Ultra, detail level and accuracy of lighting increased, temporal instability decreased.

What a pain. Might just turn godrays off then.

My gtx 980refuses to run this well with the oddest speed up and slow down hitch in graphics I have ever seen. About every 1.5 seconds it seems to slow down then speed back up...then slow down.

If it's anything like Bethesda's other games, there'll be an iFPSclamp INI variable that works wonders for frame-rate stability.

UnrealEck

980 Ti
Core i7 920 @ 3.8
16GB DDR3

I seem to be getting 65+ FPS on ultra at 1440p.

Is anyone else's video card screaming when the game is starting up?

M.D

fallout-4-nvidia-geforce-gtx-900-series-performance-640px.png

The hell? 970 can't run this at 60 FPS on max or is this because of one setting that drops the frame rate?

How can a AAA title like Fallout 4 not have an SLI profile available upon release? Argh...
Yeah, for a game that begs to be downsampled considering the weak AA implementation... its a shame those of us with a 2nd gpu can't make use of the additional horsepower. I'm going to wait to buy this game and see how the drivers/profiles shake out.

Paganmoon

What

Good to know, Should go well without godrays on my 7970 at 1080p (got 2 crossfired, but still not sure there are crossfireprofiles out yet.)

full specs:
Core i7 6700k
16GB 3200Mhz
2x7970
Samsung 830 SSD

Hoping for great performance and loading times :)

Kezen

Banned

The hell? 970 can't run this at 60 FPS on max or is this because of one setting that drops the frame rate?

What are you reacting in such a way ? It's great to have demanding (optional) settings, in this case the tessellated god rays.

I never understand the outcry when demanding stuff can heavily tax even capable hardware.

So does anyone know how to turn off VSYNC? No settings in launcher or game, and no settings related to it in either ini-file.

I just found it. It's the "iPresentInterval=1" in Fallout4Prefs.ini. Change that to 0 and it turns vsync off.

I went from 60 fps locked to 120 fps with god rays low in the starting area.

Using 970 and i7 4970k.

kmg90

Oh boy... I'm really nervous of with my i5 2500 being so close to the minimum... I'll be happy if I can get it to run better than the console with similar visual quality

Constant crashing in character creator. I spend about 15 mins customizing, get close to what I want, then crash to desktop. Three times in a row now >.<

i7 2600k, GTX 970, 16GB RAM. This really shouldn't be happening.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Really? Because Andy's guide says you should be getting more like 40fps.

Start of the game is pretty light. Wait until later when you play the bigger battles, explore the more detailed locations, and build up your settlements. We always benchmark/target the most demanding moments of a game to show the max cost of settings.

artsi

Constant crashing in character creator. I spend about 15 mins customizing, get close to what I want, then crash to desktop. Three times in a row now >.<

Same for me. Fuck that shit.

I'll try updating my drivers before trying for the third time.

M.D

What are you reacting in such a way ? It's great to have demanding (optional) settings, in this case the tessellated god rays.

I never understand the outcry when demanding stuff can heavily tax even capable hardware.

How did you reach that conclusion from my post? I don't care to turn off these super demanding features (like Ubersampling in The Witcher 2) to get better frame rate, I was just asking if the frame rate in the test was so low because of such feature or if the game performs poorly on a 970 in general

roytheone

For some reason my vpn doesn't want to work. I log in successfully (what is my ip tells me i am in Singapore), log into steam, but the game still only shows pre-load, not play. I can change my store region to Singapore in account settings, but still no success. What am i doing wrong?

ISee

Most probably godrays.

In most scenarios even medium god rays seems to look ok-good. And by lowering them you seem to get around 30% of increased performance. Might be enough for rest @ultra and 60 fps in 95% of times. But look for yourself.

Stolen from Andys wonderful Nvidia Guide.

Top Bottom