• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

D-VoN

According to the NVIDIA tweak guide, the driver update should be live within the hour. No SLI support... wtf.

RulkezX

For some reason my vpn doesn't want to work. I log in successfully (what is my ip tells me i am in Singapore), log into steam, but the game still only shows pre-load, not play. I can change my store region to Singapore in account settings, but still no success. What am i doing wrong?

My virus software stops me using a vpn with steam, i need to disable Avast to get it to work.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Weird, no matter what settings I adjust my framerate seems to be locked to 30fps. Odd.

GTX 970
i7 4790k
8GB RAM

M.D

Most probably godrays. I think (as I've not been able to unlock atm) that 970 people will be able to run the game @ ultra with godrays set to high/medium.

In most scenarios even medium god rays seems to look ok-good. And by lowering them you seem to get around 30% of increased performance. Might be enough for rest @ultra and 60 fps in 95% of times. But look for yourself.

Stolen from Andys wonderful Nvidia Guide.

Thanks.

I'll try out different settings once I get the game, keeping stable 60 is going to my top priority.

I'm getting stuttering with my 970, can't pinpoint the reason. Old i7 though, godrays on low just to be sure, the rest on ultra.

Out is out in nz right? Can't wait to get home

I'm too stubborn to not have sli at this point. It's such a pain when it's not implemented, giving you an expensive paperweight, but when it works you feel like a god

Social

Having quite great performance with my 750ti, it's giving me 45-50 fps most of the time, with some drops to 35 at certain points.

Vex_

Banned
Disabling my virus software didn't help unfortunately :( I have used vpn to unlock shit before, weird that it now suddenly doesn't want to work.

I have the same issue. Unpacked fine. But then I went to try to play it after closing the VPN like an idiot after unpacking, and it said "pre load". So I restarted the VPN, restarted steam, and upon clicking pre load, it said this game will be unlocked "tomorrow" or something.

*sigh*

Yrael

Looks like my laptop will be able to run this quite well...its specs are:

i7-4720HQ
8GB RAM
GTX 970M (3GB)

Dmented

Banned
Anyone else having problems with not being able to exit terminals? I exit them but I can no longer move nor enter them again. It's a game breaking bug for me.

I use FRAPS to take .PNG pics, any recommendations for that other than FRAPS? Steam does .JPG.

In Steam, go to Settings > In-Game, check the "Save an uncompressed copy outside Steam" option and click the "SELECT EXTERNAL SCREENSHOTS FOLDER" button to set where you want screenshots to be saved. Take screenshots with F12 or whatever hotkey you have set, but do NOT use the "SHOW ON DISK" button in the screenshot manager to get your screenshots. Those screenshots are JPEGs. Instead go to the folder you set up and grab the lossless PNG screenshots from there.

KKRT00

I think i'm going for slight downsampling and ugrid 9 + grass distance improvement, but lower tessellation on lighting and 40fps cap.

RulkezX

Disabling my virus software didn't help unfortunately :( I have used vpn to unlock shit before, weird that it now suddenly doesn't want to work.
You also need to make sure you don't have any active sessions ie your ipad/tablet or phone logged into steam.

derExperte

Cool, thanks. I noticed that Dragon Age Inquisition performed better on 8.1 than 7, so I'm curious if there are any other games where this is also the case.

Quite a few games run better with W10, especially if they are VRAM-heavy. Probably not the case here.

sirap

Damn, shame there's no SLI support yet. Itching to run this game at glorious 4k/60fps, but my Titan is struggling without its twin.

UnrealEck

I got out of the starting area and tried to get a densely populated (with objects, buildings, etc) area.
I've got the framerate capped at 60, 1440p, ultra settings with ultra god rays, uGrids at 13 and it's not going under 60. GPU usage is mostly around anywhere from 50-75. If I go into third person view and zoom right out GPU usage goes up a bit higher.

980 Ti.

aravuus

I'm getting stuttering with my 970, can't pinpoint the reason. Old i7 though, godrays on low just to be sure, the rest on ultra.

Same here, and game's running at I'd guess maybe around... 45fps right after exiting the vault, looking at the ruins.

What the fuck. Gonna download the newest drivers and try again. I wonder if it could be the fact that I'm playing in borderless window?

Red Hood

Banned
Okay, so a 970 can max this out on 1080p at rougly 60fps. How does a (Sapphire) R9 280X compare to 970? I'm thinking mix of High/Ultra at around 50fps?

MikeSan

Anyone knows where I can change the key binding ? I'm playing with an Azerty keyboard so the shortcut for navigating into the Pip-boy doesn't work correctly.

TBiddy

What can I realistically expect with i5-2500k and a GTX 580?

I'd like to run it in 1440p, as that is the native resolution of my monitor, but I realise that might be optimistic:)

I got out of the starting area and tried to get a densely populated (with objects, buildings, etc) area.
I've got the framerate capped at 60, 1440p, ultra settings with ultra god rays, uGrids at 13 and it's not going under 60. GPU usage is mostly around anywhere from 50-75. If I go into third person view and zoom right out GPU usage goes up a bit higher.

980 Ti.

wat

At uGrids 13? Are you fucking kidding me?

Hale_C

[Originally posted in OT]

So I couldn't see any mention of this in other posts... Vysnc is enabled by default, it's not possible to disable it through game options (nor via the launcher). Disabling vysnc via nvidia console also seems to unlock the game speed, making it run in ultra-fast mode!

So, great, game speed is tied to fps once it goes over 60fps or something? The mouse lag and screen judder (which seems like a gamebryo hangover) is not very nice. I haven't tried adaptive vysnc but I assume it'd be unpleasant, with occasional unlocks to the game speed.

haikira

Few questions, if anyone would be so kind to help me out. At work, so don't have much time to check.

Guessing people who're playing early are using a VPN?

Is there a preload available?

Think a 2500k/970 would cut it for 1080p at med/high?

Vex_

Banned

HOLY SHIT! it just worked bro!

All I did was restart my computer after installing my nvidia game ready driver. Not sure what did it but Im in there!

Same here, and game's running at I'd guess maybe around... 45fps right after exiting the vault, looking at the ruins.

What the fuck. Gonna download the newest drivers and try again. I wonder if it could be the fact that I'm playing in borderless window?

Tried again here, even on low I get the same FPS, heavy stuttering and the game can't go past 55 fps.

Top Bottom