• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Ultra screenshots

I just hope this game doesn't go apeshit at 120hz again.

Fucking Skyrim tied the physics to the framerate so I had shit flying all over the place erratically if I tried to run it at my monitors native framerate.

Hmmm now seeing it on a full screen they don't really look too much better than the console shots, which is disappointing. Shadows look better, I guess that's the main difference.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Fucking Skyrim tied the physics to the framerate so I had shit flying all over the place erratically if I tried to run it at my monitors native framerate.
I don't know what you're talking about, that sounds amazing!
I love when shit that's not supposed to fly flies erratically and kills everything in its path.
Hmmm now seeing it on a full screen they don't really look too much better than the console shots, which is disappointing. Shadows look better, I guess that's the main difference.
;P

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for it to look much better. Witcher 2 came out around the same time as Skyrim and we see how much of an improvement Witcher 3 was over it from a much smaller developer. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect similar levels of improvement in the same amount of time from a bigger/more successful company. That said, I don't think laziness has anything to do with it, as playing it safe does. I think they didn't want to have such vast performance differences and bugs as pretty much every Elder Scrolls/Fallout game has had and they spent a lot of time ensuring that. Which makes me think that's where Todd Howard's "It just works" comment stems from.
Some of it may be playing it safe. They aren't exactly known for their bug-free games. But again, comparisons to specific games don't really account for the fact that Bethesda has built a reputation around extensive out of the box mod support, and the fact that Bethesda games are generally much more sandboxy in terms of what can be done with physics-enabled world objects and whatnot. The Witcher by comparison provides much less sandbox freedom, and I think enabling that sort of behavior consumes a lot more resources than people realize.

I think it certainly could have looked better with more dev time, but the thing's been cooking for like 4 years. At some point you gotta pull the trigger.

Crisium

Something looks off about it. Obviously it's not pushing boundaries for tech, but even the art style isn't doing it for me and I really liked Fallout 3 / NV.

Just please have 144hz support.

Let's see how it looks maxed out!......

OMldyij.gif

Modding community will be the saving grace.

Tainted

How CPU intensive do we think this is going to be? I have a 970, but my CPU is below the recommended (I have a stock i5-3570k). I'm hoping I can still get 1080/60 at ultra.

I'm on a similar setup to you (stock i5-2400 & 970). Pretty sure I should be able to maintain 60 on high at least...which i fine with me until I get my cpu upgraded.

orochi91

I had high hopes for the PC version, but it still looks underwhelming out the of box.

It will take at least a year for decent graphics mods to come out, and maybe even longer for them to be well optimized :/

Let's see how it looks maxed out!......

OMldyij.gif

Modding community will be the saving grace.

+1

Doesn't really look to impressive to be honest. It's decent, and I'm not going to claim that it actually looks bad, but I don't think it's setting any standards either. I've seen better looking open world games. The graphics aren't really a concern though, I'm concerned with performance/bugs of course, but also the main quest. Despite being a fan of both ES and Fallout, I couldn't really say any of the main quests plot lines gripped me so I'm hoping this game will break that trend finally.

GHG

Gold Member
Yep, I'm waiting for a few visual mods and overhauls before picking this one up.

When I start seeing some ridiculous screenshots in the PC screenshot thread that is when I buy.

Some of it may be playing it safe. They aren't exactly known for their bug-free games. But again, comparisons to specific games don't really account for the fact that Bethesda has built a reputation around extensive out of the box mod support, and the fact that Bethesda games are generally much more sandboxy in terms of what can be done with physics-enabled world objects and whatnot. The Witcher by comparison provides much less sandbox freedom, and I think enabling that sort of behavior consumes a lot more resources than people realize.

I think it certainly could have looked better with more dev time, but the thing's been cooking for like 4 years. At some point you gotta pull the trigger.

We are pretty much in agreement on it to be honest. I'm just a bit disappointed they didn't shoot for more. I thought Morrowind, Skyrim, and Fallout 3 all looked pretty good for their respective periods of time and this just doesn't impress me like I'd want. It'll get modded to hell as we both now, so i'll get to have my cake and eat it too, just not right away. If it comes with minimal bugs I'll count it as an overall positive as the game doesn't look atrocious by any means, just not as good as it's RPG competition. I'm also a bit annoyed how they still haven't figured out seamless transitions into interiors. That's been a feature I've wanted from the Elder Scrolls/Fallout series for a long time.

I'm just happy with how many great games have come out this year, and this looks like another one to add to the list. 2015 has been one hell of a year. PBR has been my favorite new feature of this generation.

Just please have 144hz support.

Yup, it'll be great to play at 1440p/144hz. I'm pretty sure they said there's no framerate cap.

Artanisix

Ugly. And the worst part is that screenshots look better than the actual game, because the animations are fucking horrible.

Man, you are a fallout 3/NV fanboy.

Are you supposed to be eating crow because these don't look as good as I thought they would be. Especially on Ultra, on PC.

I mean, I don't play FO for graphics but...
I'm waiting for mods from the community to improve everything. Skyrim looks amazing now on Ultra with great mods.

Strong art direction? Check.

Relatively unimpressive visuals? Check.

I value the former far more than the latter, however. Art direction always wins versus post-processing effects. I get why the latter is desirable--you all want to get the most out of your machines--but I really like how this game looks, regardless.

Ugly. And the worst part is that screenshots look better than the actual game, because the animations are fucking horrible.

Are there any spoiler-free examples of this? It's hard for me to go back to Fallout because of the animations specifically, I thought Skyrim was a big improvement over the sideways ice-skating running/walking animations from Morrowind-New Vegas.

I value the former far more than the latter, however. Art direction always wins versus post-processing effects. I get why the latter is desirable--you all want to get the most out of your machines--but I really like how this game looks, regardless.

A strong art direction can go a long way for sure.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Okay, now I can see these "Ultra" screenshots.

Well, If these are ultra screenshots from PC version then I am Jesus Christ. I mean, just look at them guys, there's absolutely nothing in there that even remotely looks like PC ultra settings. Anyway, for 2015s game F4 looks terrible in terms of texture work and overall quality of them, they are almost at the same level as Fallout 3/New Vegas and there's absolutely no excuse for this (not to mention GTX 780/R9 290X as recommended GPUs and i7 4790 as recommended CPU). That of course if these are legit PC screenshots.

Lingitiz

This game will at least age better than the last two Fallout games I hope. No matter how many mods you bolt on, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are hideous games. But it's not just the look of the games but the shit animations, freeze frame during dialogue...just a bunch of unnatural looking stuff that weren't even good on the day they launched.

HooYaH

Did they just rehash the same hand textures from past Bethesda games? Not sure why people say the art direction is good, it looks just like past fallout 3/new vegas setting.

Jin

Bethesda said there won't be a resolution and frame rate cap. While the screenshots looks nice, but not Crysis great it'll probably be easier to get 120+ fps. I can't wait to see Bloody Mess perk in VATs at 144fps.

Sethh

Hah, game's not even out and all people talk about is fixing it with mods.
They've had 7 years to do it right! - no one should be thinking about mods a week before vanilla release.

Tagyhag

They've had 7 years to do it right! - no one should be thinking about mods a week before vanilla release.

I'm sure they weren't fully working on it until after Skyrim released.

Either way, people just expected for the game to look noticeably better than the console counterpart, that's usually what "ultra" settings do. Especially with Bethesda talks about this being an Nvidia Gameworks game.

I'm sure the game will still turn out to be fun, but mods can always fix a bunch of things.

I'd rather they nailed the core gameplay than made the game visually stunning. Obviously both would be preferable, but if you're going to skimp on anything, skimp on the thing that is easily fixed by a community of devoted fans who are already going to make mods regardless of how pretty they made the vanilla game look.

bobawesome

Will be sure to pick it up on a Steam sale a year from now for $10.

I'll enjoy the console version for now.

Ooccoo

Looks bad honestly. What I want to know is how the quests make up for the poor graphics. Vegas >>>> FO3, now to see if Bethesda can outdo themselves. Which I doubt.

First it was a rushed port from PS3/360, then it's PS4/XBONE weren't powerful enough either way, now it never looked that great to begin with.

Just play the damn game. Like you weren't gonna buy it regardless.

tuxfool

Banned
Looks bad honestly. What I want to know is how the quests make up for the poor graphics. Vegas >>>> FO3, now to see if Bethesda can outdo themselves. Which I doubt.

Initial impressions suggest that Bethesda hasn't internalized anything from Obsidian's effort. Maybe the factions work well (as we haven't seen anything regarding those).

Top Bottom