• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - PS4 screenshots (now feat. PNGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blobbers

HA. I knew that as soon as we got some crisp screens this thread would go in a much more positive direction. Maybe now we can leave all that early madness behind.
I mean a guy literally said the game looked like it could run on a PS3, which makes me believe we should outlaw blurry screenshots, forever, lest it poison the young minds.

Mikey Jr.

Did Shinobi talk about the framerate on PS4? Is it locked? Does it fluctuate?

I'm just scared because I had such a piss poor experience on PS3. If it is locked at 30, I'll be happy. I don't give a shit about anything else.

Volcane

Shinobi's shots look decent. I don't like the look of the HUD though, why is it so basic? It's even more basic than FO3's HUD.

Those new screenshots also show a fucking awesome atmosphere with that mist and those houses...ah man, lovely. Exactly how i want it to look for a setting like this.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Wonder if this is Bethesda intentionally "leaking" some better images as damage control

What damage control? They know what their game looks like and isn't worried about NeoGAF going apeshit.

To me, for a 30fps game the above image looks far more like a last-gen game than a current-gen game, except for the resolution.

Show us the last gen open world game with that AA and IQ.

Shinobi's shots look decent. I don't like the look of the HUD though, why is it so basic? It's even more basic than FO3's HUD.

It shows the exact same information. The only thing missing is the AP/Ammo Count in some of those shots.

Fallout4_20151031152920.png

Does this confirm they still haven't got reflections working efficiently in their engine? On PC you could force full reflections in Oblivion and Fallout 3/NV, but it was insanely performance expensive. They stripped reflections out entirely from Skyrim except for distant LOD. It's a shame because this isn't something modders can fix.

Trees, buildings, environments next to puddles, ponds, lakes, will never show up in reflections.

Alienous

Show us the last gen open world game with that AA and IQ.

I don't know if I can. I don't know if I can find a current-gen open world game that has a comparable graphical fidelity, either ... so.

But if AA and IQ are the deciding factors then Fallout 4 looks good, I guess.

Oogedei

HA. I knew that as soon as we got some crisp screens this thread would go in a much more positive direction. Maybe now we can leave all that early madness behind.
I mean a guy literally said the game looked like it could run on a PS3, which makes me believe we should outlaw blurry screenshots, forever, lest it poison the young minds.

PS3? Some even said it's like a PS2 game. One guy even said that it looks like a mobile game:

Looks like a playstation 2 game.

Is this a real shot or joke mod of another game? That legit looks like a straight up mobile or Vita game.

Those new shots are way more colourful by the way. I don't know what's up with those in the OP but especially the first one in the OP looks like someone applied a filter on it.

ymgve

Does this confirm they still haven't got reflections working efficiently in their engine? On PC you could force full reflections in Oblivion and Fallout 3/NV, but it was insanely performance expensive. They stripped reflections out entirely from Skyrim except for distant LOD. It's a shame because this isn't something modders can fix.

Trees, buildings, environments next to puddles, ponds, lakes, will never show up in reflections.

Reflections are really really expensive, so no wonder Skyrim cut them down a bit. I assume the puddles here are just using some cheap cubemap thing, but larger bodies of water might have the same kind of reflections or better than Skyrim.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i just know i'm going to play this game a lot. esp on remote play.
but the characters omg they look like shit.

I'm not even kidding this is by far the ugliest game i will own in my collection.. wow.

Reflections are really really expensive, so no wonder Skyrim cut them down a bit. I assume the puddles here are just using some cheap cubemap thing, but larger bodies of water might have the same kind of reflections or better than Skyrim.

I haven't seen any proper reflections in any screenshots yet, so I imagine it's the same as Skyrim - distant LOD reflections only. Shame they couldn't integrate a screenspace reflection system.

Probably just screenshot artifacts.

Not from a .png screenshot. It's just a low resolution post processing effect. It's common though, and not something you'll likely notice during gameplay.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I don't know if I can. I don't know if I can find a current-gen open world game that has a comparable graphical fidelity, either ... so.

But if AA and IQ are the deciding factors then Fallout 4 looks good, I guess.

AA and IQ aren't the only factors. You said for a game only pushing 30FPS, that you'd expect it in a last-gen game. So the natural question, regardless of AA/IQ issues, is "What open world game looks like that. . ."

The main problem with comparing Fallout 4 to other games, is that there's really nothing to compare it to.

No other game is doing what Fallout is in terms of gameplay systems, in a world that large.

Jobbs

Banned
Serious question, why is there such a dramatic difference between the screenshots like these and the ones shinobi602 posted?
http://i.imgur.com/CjnfNsR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1h1zJ0h.jpg
It's not like .jpg files remove shadows and all the other graphics effects
I have this preordered on PC. I have a GTX970 but only 6GB memory... which is below the 8GB minimum requirements.

The lower quality export is only one factor. The other is that taking good screenshots is an artform unto itself. Many games can look really great or really shitty if you take the right screenshot.

Wait, so is everyone okay with the graphics now?

The new ones dude, the ones Shinobi posted. Like a world of difference compared to the old ones. Actually his screens should be shown on the first page first, not the old ones.

It's good to see this kind of happiness from people again. Even though some people always say graphics really don't matter that much and as long as the gameplay is good, or like some of my friends who say it could look like Fallout 3 and then in 60fps and they'd be fine with that. I disagree with that though, nice graphics add A LOT to the overall experience. In Fallout 3 when you left the vault and saw the outside...lovely moment. Skyrim when you got outside and saw the mountains, the world for the first time.

All this talk that graphics aren't all that important...disagreeing to the fullest on that.

Thorzilla

Maybe my standards are a little low but those PNGs look great. I don't think I ever expected them to deliver Uncharted levels of IQ when it's an open world game anyway.

Can't wait!

roytheone

New pics defiantly look a lot better. Still, I will wait until I play the game myself before fully judging the visuals. You can make almost any game look great or terrible with some smart screenshot tricks. Plus, since I will be playing on the pc, optimalisation will be a big part of how much I can increase the graphics settings. Can't judge that based on pictures.

artsi

Serious question, why is there such a dramatic difference between the screenshots like these and the ones shinobi602 posted?
I have this preordered on PC. I have a GTX970 but only 6GB memory... which is below the 8GB minimum requirements.

Even between Shinobi's screenshots some stuff looks better and some worse. I think this is a game where you can take hideous screenshots, and then some very beautiful ones in another setting.

Alienous

Those two images in particular seem to be taken to show how bad the game can look, whereas (at least to me) it seems that most of Shinobi's images were taken to show how good it can look, thus the disparity. Fallout 4, at least for most of the time you play it, will probably look somewhere in-between.

AA and IQ aren't the only factors. You said for a game only pushing 30FPS, that you'd expect it in a last-gen game. So the natural question, regardless of AA/IQ issues, is "What open world game looks like that. . ."

I dunno. Far Cry 4 on PS3? GTA V on PS3? Outside of image quality, looking at things like the assets and LOD, Fallout 4 seems closer to those than it does to their current-gen counterparts.

Wallach

Yeah, MSAA was along the lines I was thinking. Can't be FXAA.

If it were MSAA the foliage would look worse, because the AA wouldn't apply to the transparencies. They wouldn't be able to afford that on console, it's taxing enough on PC.

Edit - That is, if it were only MSAA. They may be doing MSAA + FXAA to get coverage on the foliage, but it definitely looks like at least FXAA from Shinobi's shots.

ymgve

I haven't seen any proper reflections in any screenshots yet, so I imagine it's the same as Skyrim - distant LOD reflections only. Shame they couldn't integrate a screenspace reflection system.

Screenspace could still be in I guess, but the puddles on the road might just be a variant of textures and not "proper" geometry and therefore gets a simple reflection.

Also, in regarding to lack of shadows indoors - someone else with the game said that as in the previous games, the Pip-Boy flashlight removes shadows, so that might be the cause.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Looks nice, though I'm super keen for PC and the mods it will bring about. Gonna hope for much cleaner textures and hopefully better models eventually.

DOWN

Banned
Which 180? "Oh, the game doesn't look too terrible" or "Graphics don't matte... wait, it actually looks OK. Look at the atmosphere in that shot."

Please stop ignoring the tonal change of the thread. It went from a high rate of negative posts (several volatile enough for bans) to a low rate.

Screenspace could still be in I guess, but the puddles on the road might just be a variant of textures and not "proper" geometry and therefore gets a simple reflection.

Also, in regarding to lack of shadows indoors - someone else with the game said that as in the previous games, the Pip-Boy flashlight removes shadows, so that might be the cause.

I think we'd know about screenspace reflections by now if they were in. There are a few shots showing streams/rivers in the OP and none of them have reflections. Like shadows, it seems to be a part of the engine that hasn't been updated yet. For the most part it's a good looking game though, and I'm looking forward to seeing how much further modders push it =)

MajorTom

The new ones dude, the ones Shinobi posted. Like a world of difference compared to the old ones. Actually his screens should be shown on the first page first, not the old ones.

It's good to see this kind of happiness from people again. Even though some people always say graphics really don't matter that much and as long as the gameplay is good, or like some of my friends who say it could look like Fallout 3 and then in 60fps and they'd be fine with that. I disagree with that though, nice graphics add A LOT to the overall experience. In Fallout 3 when you left the vault and saw the outside...lovely moment. Skyrim when you got outside and saw the mountains, the world for the first time.

All this talk that graphics aren't all that important...disagreeing to the fullest on that.
Yeah I saw the new ones.
They look nice.........but I never had a problem with how the old ones looked anyway.
I like when a game has amazing graphics, but only for the first few hours. After a while I stop caring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom