• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Speculation Thread - Graphic talk elsewhere please.

DOWN

Banned
I hate fast travel, I really do.

I don't mean that in the "Oh just don't use it..." way, but in a way that is desiring of a more interesting way of getting around quickly. But not as quick as fast travel. Vehicles or a functional metro would be cool.
GTA style? I'm okay with fast travel as long as I'm stuck in gamebryo lol

Fracas

#fuckonami
This guy is full of shit. I'm in a position to know.

That's what I figured, especially with that part about energy weapons being a focus. Weird.

Not trying to bait you one way or the other, but I'm partial to the cryosleep theory. It's interesting at least.

I hate fast travel, I really do.

I don't mean that in the "Oh just don't use it..." way, but in a way that is desiring of a more interesting way of getting around quickly. But not as quick as fast travel. Vehicles or a functional metro would be cool.

I'm no fan of fast travel myself, but as game worlds grow in size so does the need for a fast travel system. Take The Witcher 3, for instance. I tend to go everywhere on horseback, but sometimes an objective is all the way over on the other side in Skellige, which would take me at least half an hour to reach by horse and then by boat. Sometimes you just don't have the time for that.

That could be super interesting if it forced you to make hard choices about which time-sensitive quests to fill. I really hope Bethesda includes a hardcore mode like what obsidian did with NV. Giving ammo weight, etc.. Really made me play the game differently in a way that made it more immersive and enjoyable.

Yeah, give me a hardcore mode with a tent I can pitch to spend the night out in the wasteland. Gotta sleep hard.

Wolfe

I guess I'm just used to it, but the more I think about it, it does kill the immersion. Having to use vehicles to get around as opposed to instantly traveling would fit the game well and would add more survival elements. But I'm fine either way, or maybe an option for either. Fast travel could be eliminated in survival mode, for example.

I feel about the same way, I really enjoy traversing on foot but sometimes the distance is too far or whatever reason I might have and so I use it sometimes frequently. I would welcome something like a motorcycle we could or had to rebuilt that we could use to get around a bit quicker on. I don't need the thing to zoom across the land, a reasonable pace goes a long way in a wasteland.

Yeah, give me a hardcore mode with a tent I can pitch to spend the night out in the wasteland. Gotta sleep hard.

And the game plays in real time, so immersive!

-duskdoll-

OK so i was completely wrong when i said that that F4 could take place before F3 because of the trees. As other people have pointed out, it probably means that it's set in a world after activating the purifier from F3, and that civilization has moved on and people started rebuilding the world.

OK so i was completely wrong when i said that that F4 could take place before F3 because of the trees. As other people have pointed out, it probably means that it's set in a world after activating the purifier from F3, and that civilization has moved on and people started rebuilding the world.

You mean like they had already been doing in other parts of the world before F3?
latest

I hope they hired people who have finished high school to write the story this time around.

And the game plays in real time, so immersive!

Meh, always felt the timescale used in Fallout/TES was fine. It's easily edited in ini settings, regardless.

I do hope they finally fixed the shadows reacting to time of day changes being less apparent. In Skyrim you could set your watch to those things.

Thorgal

On the subject of fast travel , i think Gopher has the best compromise

If you don't know ,Gopher wants to keep His playthroughs to be as immersive as can be and despises using Fast travel but just continuously running around the map can be tedious even for him .
Using the Mobile van mod fixes that nicely .

It is a mobile Player home that allows you to travel to select places around the map .

SO in essence ,he is using fast travell , but he does it in an immersive way .

haha more like, not being able to hoard a full armory's worth of ammunition down your pants-- baby nukes and all-- around the wasteland helped break me of my hoarder tendency in games like this. Plus you actually have to eat, drink, and sleep else your health deteriorates to the point of death; my first time playing NV in hardcore I learned that companions could die too. Whoops. Sorry, Raul.

haha more like, not being able to hoard a full armory's worth of ammunition down your pants-- baby nukes and all-- around the wasteland helped break me of my hoarder tendency in games like this. Plus you actually have to eat, drink, and sleep else your health deteriorates to the point of death; my first time playing NV in hardcore I learned that companions could die too. Whoops. Sorry, Raul.

Raul is the greatest. I was so happy when they finally fixed that bug that prevented us from completing his quest.

God, I should replay 3/New Vegas.

I'm just hoping for more dungeons/vaults to explore because I absolutely loved that aspect of FO3 there were just an abundance of places to visit. Then I played NV and holy crap they made the Mojave wasteland a fucking BORE outside of the towns and for someone like me who prefers the exploration over the writing that was sinful to me.

You realize there were plenty of trees in F3, right? The ones in the F4 trailer look pretty much the same.

XYIJZUE.jpg

Unless you are talking about the live trees with the autumnal foliage, but those are only in the pre-war flashback scenes in the trailer.

d00d3n

Any theories about the perk system in Fallout 4? Will it be every other level with substantial perks like in New Vegas, or every level with marginal gains like in Fallout 3?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Any theories about the perk system in Fallout 4? Will it be every other level with substantial perks like in New Vegas, or every level with marginal gains like in Fallout 3?

i theorize that Bethesda is going to remove most of the changes that Obsidian made.

LurkerofThreads

Neo Member
I want more of the curiosity type things. Seeing a place and the skeletons and objects and trying to piece together what exactly might have happened. It was fun and interesting to wonder if they shot each other, or offed themselves with pills or something. Or why they were obsessed with Lincoln and had a shrine to him. Stuff like that.

d00d3n

i theorize that Bethesda is going to remove most of the changes that Obsidian made.

That would truly be a shame, but not out of the question. I liked perks every level in a sense, in how every level up screen hade a "fun choice", but it was apparent that perks had generally been made weaker to balance it all out. The abundance of SPECIAL-boosting perks and the bobbleheads also forced them to gimp SPECIAL as well.

It seems like it should be possible to give meaningful perks every level, make SPECIAL choices matter and still have a balanced difficulty curve. Maybe slow down experience gain overall and notably increase the difficulty of end game content (including a portion of optional content)?

Sou Da

That would truly be a shame, but not out of the question. I liked perks every level in a sense, in how every level up screen hade a "fun choice", but it was apparent that perks had generally been made weaker to balance it all out. The abundance of SPECIAL-boosting perks and the bobbleheads also forced them to gimp SPECIAL as well.

It seems like it should be possible to give meaningful perks every level, make SPECIAL choices matter and still have a balanced difficulty curve. Maybe slow down experience gain overall and notably increase the difficulty of end game content (including a portion of optional content)?

There's where you lost them.

hemtae

I think you need to stop experimenting with Jet.

I hope that we get a perk every 1-2 levels. I don't get why people like the NV system, a perk every what 3-4 levels? Annoyed me, didn't seem like nearly enough and didn't make me as excited to level.

New Vegas was every 2 levels.

Welfare

I think you need to stop experimenting with Jet.

I hope that we get a perk every 1-2 levels. I don't get why people like the NV system, a perk every what 3-4 levels? Annoyed me, didn't seem like nearly enough and didn't make me as excited to level.

Fallout 3 was every 1 level.
Fallout New Vegas was every 2 levels.
Fallout 2 was every 3 levels (or 4 if you had the Skilled trait).
I don't remember Fallout 1's system.

Personally I like both NV and 2's system. F3 became really easy with how many perks you could get. I think Fallout 4 should go with 2's system, but every 2 levels like NV and the return of 2's version of Skilled.

Tigress

Personally I like both NV and 2's system. F3 became really easy with how many perks you could get. I think Fallout 4 should go with 2's system, but every 2 levels like NV and the return of 2's version of Skilled.

I preferred NV's system over 2. I liked that it wasn't every level, it made it feel more special and made you feel more like you gotta really think about which one to get. But in 2 it feels a little too stingy honestly (and makes it a lot harder to decide on one cause you know it will be a while before you get a next). It also made levelling up not exciting except for every third level.

Posted this in the other thread, but this Q&A Todd Howard did in 2009 shows that he wanted vehicles in Fallout 3, but they were cut. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrfdNJDVpR4&feature=youtu.be&t=40m5s

Maybe we'll see them in Fallout 4?

I also wonder if they had done any actual protyping of vehicles in FO3 or if it was simply the idea of including vehicles was cut. If it was the latter, and wasn't because of any technical limitation, then I'd be surprised if we get them in FO4. Though you never know, this one being set in the Commonwealth where it seems at least some things have survived the war reasonbly intact, there could be a functional car or two.

I really like the idea that XNarte suggested as it seems to fit better with this world of limited resources that we have in the Fallout universe:

I think a good way to implement a vehicle would be if you could slowly assemble a motorcycle in your garage over time so that way you could get plenty of on foot exploration in and when you finally do finish the bike it would be a satisfying reward.

Top Bottom