• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Grabbed some mods and the game looks and runs way better, am I missing any essentials?

8mNNuZ0.jpg

lcap

So guys, grabbed Fallout New Vegas UE and Fallout 3 GOTY for the PS3 and heard there are some issues with them, do you have any tips at all on to how to diminish or avoid these issues?

Unai

LTTP here with the 360 Ultimate edition - should I play on Normal or Hard? And should I enable Hardcore mode?

I think Normal is the best experience. Harder difficults only make that you receive more damage and the enemies receive less.

Hardcore mode has its pros and cons. I would say turn it on, and if it gets annoying just turn it off.

LTTP here with the 360 Ultimate edition - should I play on Normal or Hard? And should I enable Hardcore mode?

I'd say normal, especially for your first time.

I found hardcore mode to be more of an annoyance than anything. It's interesting but I could live without it. I've played through the game several times, and only had it enabled my first time through. You do get an achievement for finishing the game though.

Mistel

Banned
Hardcore mode involves more micro management of a few things. But it's not really that much harder than the hard mode pretty much the same difficulty really.

Im playing on normal right now since when I switched to hard I got absolutely mauled by a pack of geckos earlier. Combined with the limb damage from hardcore and I think it's a fair trade off to use normal. I do like the fact that hardcore doesn't make stimpacks instant and it makes food useful, water seems to be very scarce though.

Right now my main problem is inventory management, with the crafting and survival system I'm not sure what I should be keeping or not and I only have an inventory size of 200. Gonna go to Novac soon to get the house and I'll eventually get the perks that increase inventory size but right now it's annoying.I probably should have gone with the hoarder trait but alas.

Unai

Im playing on normal right now since when I switched to hard I got absolutely mauled by a pack of geckos earlier. Combined with the limb damage from hardcore and I think it's a fair trade off to use normal. I do like the fact that hardcore doesn't make stimpacks instant and it makes food useful, water seems to be very scarce though.

Right now my main problem is inventory management, with the crafting and survival system I'm not sure what I should be keeping or not and I only have an inventory size of 200. Gonna go to Novac soon to get the house and I'll eventually get the perks that increase inventory size but right now it's annoying.I probably should have gone with the hoarder trait but alas.

About water, remember that you can drink from water sources. A good place to find free clean water is Goodspring Source.

Before buying a house I've just left my things in a box in Goodspring near the workbench.

zkylon

zkylewd
i like playing on normal with hardcore mode on

adds the fun and not so fun mechanics from hardcore mode, but difficulty is still enjoyable

Yeah it's silly - I wish at the start of the game we could pick and choose what options we want for hardcore mode. I wouldn't care if it disabled the achievements. The goddamn Cazadores, ugh

Yep, those crazy bastards. The first time I saw one I didn't think much of it. Bugs were never really much of a challenge in these games. Of course about 5 seconds later me and everyone I ever cared about were dead.

If you have equipment or chems that raise your Charisma that may help a bit. Higher charisma raises companion defense and offense.

Yep, those crazy bastards. The first time I saw one I didn't think much of it. Bugs were never really much of a challenge in these games. Of course about 5 seconds later me and everyone I ever cared about were dead.

If you have equipment or chems that raise your Charisma that may help a bit. Higher charisma raises companion defense and offense.
Eh I have 4 charisma, I just gave Boone some medium armor and anytime I see Cazadores I get him to stay back. Hasn't been an issue outside of that. It's just annoying when he dies because I just reload a save. Is there any benefit to NOT having a companion around?

Eh I have 4 charisma, I just gave Boone some medium armor and anytime I see Cazadores I get him to stay back. Hasn't been an issue outside of that. It's just annoying when he dies because I just reload a save. Is there any benefit to NOT having a companion around?

I think there's a perk you can get that applies when there are no companions, but as far as I know there isn't really a downside to having companions around. I guess some could negatively impact your sneaking if you're going for a more stealthy approach.

Also what should I do with all of my misc crap? According to the wiki a good bit of it can be used for crafting but whenever I go over to a workbench or reloading bench very little things are available to craft. I have a decent science and repair skill as well....

Mistel

Banned
There's no such perk in New Vegas.
There is, it's the lonesome road perk adds 10% crit chance in VATS and 10% damage with no companions.
Also what should I do with all of my misc crap? According to the wiki a good bit of it can be used for crafting but whenever I go over to a workbench or reloading bench very little things are available to craft. I have a decent science and repair skill as well....
You need higher survival if you want to craft anything decent really. Once you've got that you can use some of the misc stuff. Others you just sell.

Like he said you really need a high survival skill to craft most decent things. And science too. But most of the junk is useless or just for selling. Although some of it does have a use in the DLCs.

There is, it's the lonesome road perk adds 10% crit chance in VATS and 10% damage with no companions.

Sweet, I wasn't insane.

Okay finally I realize I need 6 strength for most of the rifles I want to equip, would it be better to use intense training or buy the implant? I only have 5 strength currently.

Okay finally I realize I need 6 strength for most of the rifles I want to equip, would it be better to use intense training or buy the implant? I only have 5 strength currently.

I'd recommend going for the implant now. Caps aren't much of an issue in the game after awhile. If you find guns further down the line that have a higher requirement you can consider using a perk on it then. There's also another perk you can get that lowers the strength requirement on all weapons by 2.

Unai

You need higher survival if you want to craft anything decent really. Once you've got that you can use some of the misc stuff. Others you just sell.

Oh, nice. I've never realized that because we can't get that perk at level up and must instead finish that last DLC.

I'd recommend going for the implant now. Caps aren't much of an issue in the game after awhile. If you find guns further down the line that have a higher requirement you can consider using a perk on it then. There's also another perk you can get that lowers the strength requirement on all weapons by 2.
Alright, I'd still need to save up for it though. And weapon mods can only be bought or found right not crafted? Is it worth it to buy them or should I wait for better weapons and/or unique weapons?

And oh that thing about the LR perk kinda stinks, by the time I get to it I'll have most of the game completed I would think.

Alright, I'd still need to save up for it though. And weapon mods can only be bought or found right not crafted? Is it worth it to buy them or should I wait for better weapons and/or unique weapons?

And oh that thing about the LR perk kinda stinks, by the time I get to it I'll have most of the game completed I would think.

Yeah, I think weapons mods can only be bought. They're probably worth it your first time through since you don't know where the unique weapons are. And even when you do get some uniques you might still find that you like your modded weapon better. With the exception of some Gun Runner's Arsenal guns, I generally went with the unique guns.

Yeah, I think weapons mods can only be bought. They're probably worth it your first time through since you don't know where the unique weapons are. And even when you do get some uniques you might still find that you like your modded weapon better. With the exception of some Gun Runner's Arsenal guns, I generally went with the unique guns.
Yeah but like is it worth it to mod the low tier guns or should I wait for the better non-unique guns and purchase those mods?

Yeah but like is it worth it to mod the low tier guns or should I wait for the better non-unique guns and purchase those mods?

If you're still early on I'd get a scope for the varmint rifle. It's not too expensive and can help in some early encounters. That's really about the only mod I've gotten for the lower tier guns. I'd get it if you can, but you probably won't be using it all that long.

If you're still early on I'd get a scope for the varmint rifle. It's not too expensive and can help in some early encounters. That's really about the only mod I've gotten for the lower tier guns. I'd get it if you can, but you probably won't be using it all that long.

I already have the Cowboy Repeater, Service Rifle and Hunting Rifle (why I want 6 strength) so eh

Mistel

Banned
Depends really as companions are not really a necessity, plus with the way the damage is calculated 10% is a rather good bonus to have. As with all DLC that perk is available from the start but earning it does have some consequences.

I already have the Cowboy Repeater, Service Rifle and Hunting Rifle (why I want 6 strength) so eh

Oh yeah, you don't need to worry about the varmint rifle. The guns you have are more than adequate. Never really moded any of those so I can't tell you for sure if they'd be worth it. But they should be fine for now as is. You might have some issues repairing the service, and hunting rifles without the jury rigging perk. I don't recall there being a ton of those out in the world. The cowboy repeater shouldn't be an issue though. My favorite gun in the game is the unique version of the cowboy repeater.

Depends really as companions are not really a necessity, plus with the way the damage is calculated 10% is a rather good bonus to have. As with all DLC that perk is available from the start but earning it does have some consequences.
What do you mean by consequences?

Also if I'm leveling up guns is it worth it to level energy weapons up a bit as well or should I stick to one or the other?

Mistel

Banned
Oh yeah, you don't need to worry about the varmint rifle. The guns you have are more than adequate. Never really moded any of those so I can't tell you for sure if they'd be worth it. But they should be fine for now as is. You might have some issues repairing the service, and hunting rifles without the jury rigging perk. I don't recall there being a ton of those out in the world. The cowboy repeater shouldn't be an issue though. My favorite gun in the game is the unique version of the cowboy repeater.
Hunting rifles are relatively common. Service rifles on the other hand are a bit harder to come by but they're available in similar numbers to hunting rifles even from merchants.
What do you mean by consequences?

Also if I'm leveling up guns is it worth it to level energy weapons up a bit as well or should I stick to one or the other?
The quest which enables you to obtain that perk can affect your reputation with one or more main faction although they will not be hostile it's something to bare in mind. You can level up both if you like it doesn't matter that much.

How much is 5 DT worth? If I have light armor with 10 DT and medium armor with 15, which is better overall? Is it worth taking the speed hit in exchange for 5 DT or no?

Mistel

Banned
How much is 5 DT worth? If I have light armor with 10 DT and medium armor with 15, which is better overall? Is it worth taking the speed hit in exchange for 5 DT or no?
Higher DT is better than lower, the movement speed change is very slight if you've not got travel light. It also depends on what bonuses both armors offer which can factor into the decision.

Higher DT is better than lower, the movement speed change is very slight if you've not got travel light. It also depends on what bonuses both armors offer which can factor into the decision.
I'm only level 16 so they're both just generic armors with no bonuses I know higher DT is better obviouly, just not sure if 5 DT was enough to sacrifice the movement speed of light armor.

Unai

I'm only level 16 so they're both just generic armors with no bonuses I know higher DT is better obviouly, just not sure if 5 DT was enough to sacrifice the movement speed of light armor.

An easy way to get a boost in speed during travels is setting your armor in a hot key so you can equip or unequip it with a click. I'm pretty sure there's a way to that in the console version too.

Mistel

Banned
The movement speed change isn't that noticeable at all so it's enough. If it was 1 DT improvement it's not really worth it but 5 DT is a good improvement. There are ways to improve the Courier's natural DT via an implant and perk which will stack with your current armor.

Hey guys, I've been playing through New Vegas again to get through my Steam backlog and I was just wondering: is there a general consensus as to which ending is the most ideal? Obviously Caesar's Legion and Mr. House are out of the question, so which would be the lesser of two evils between Yes Man and the NCR? When I first played through it I went with the NCR because they seemed like the de facto good guys at the time despite their flaws, but this time I'm leaning more towards the independent route. This would be a much easier decision if there wasn't so much of a morally grey area to navigate (which I think is great on Obsidian's part), but given the circumstances in the game world which of the two would benefit New Vegas the most?

Unai

Hey guys, I've been playing through New Vegas again to get through my Steam backlog and I was just wondering: is there a general consensus as to which ending is the most ideal? Obviously Caesar's Legion and Mr. House are out of the question, so which would be the lesser of two evils between Yes Man and the NCR? When I first played through it I went with the NCR because they seemed like the de facto good guys at the time despite their flaws, but this time I'm leaning more towards the independent route. This would be a much easier decision if there wasn't so much of a morally grey area to navigate (which I think is great on Obsidian's part), but given the circumstances in the game world which of the two would benefit New Vegas the most?

Why exactly do you think Mr. House is out question?

Why exactly do you think Mr. House is out question?

Honestly on paper he sounds like a good choice, but if he's in charge then he's controlling everyone through fear of his upgraded Securitron army. Sure you would have all your freedom, but at the cost of a militarized robot always behind your back. It would turn New Vegas into somewhat of a police state.

Mistel

Banned
Honestly on paper he sounds like a good choice, but if he's in charge then he's controlling everyone through fear of his upgraded Securitron army. Sure you would have all your freedom, but at the cost of a militarized robot always behind your back. It would turn New Vegas into somewhat of a police state.
That's also Yes Man as well, there is no ideal ending to the story. Each faction the Courier can side with has it's negatives and positives and none are truly ideal.

Top Bottom