• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout Shelter is now out on PC! (Only available through Bethesda.net Launcher)

jrcbandit

I seriously have way too many launchers installed. Lets see:

- Steam
- GOG
- Origin
- Battle.net
- Uplay
- Epic Launcher
- Bethesda Launcher

This got out of hand years ago, but man...

Yep it is. I already uninstalled the Epic Launcher and I'm never installing Bethesda Launcher. Screw that, I have no desire to install any other launcher, if Bethesda goes Bethesda.net exclusive I'll either just never play their games or play them on PS4. 5 game stores/launchers is my arbitrary limit! lol.

Parsnip

I mean I'm not going to play it either way, but I'd guess it might be coming to steam tomorrow.

- Steam
- GOG
- Origin
- Battle.net
- Uplay
- Epic Launcher
- Bethesda Launcher

Launcherocalypse

StereoVsn

Dishonored 2 is Steamworks. GMG's store page was initially lacking a buy button and listed "Other DRM", but I confirmed with Support that this was just a placeholder; the game is now pre-purchasable as a Steamworks title.
Good, might be last Bethesda game I will buy the way things are going.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there any larger publisher (of the size or comparable to Activision/Blizzard, Ubisoft, EA,...) that does not have some sort of launcher or account system?

Well, the only other publisher remotely comparable in size to the three largest publishers in the world is 2K, and it doesn't have one. The answer varies if you go smaller: Squeenix and WB do (Squeenix Account and WB Play, respectively) while Deep Silver and Scamco don't; then there's the likes of 505, Focus and Nordic, as well as indie-oriented outfits such as Devolver and (more recently) Team17, who don't, while publishers of F2P games (e.g. Nexon) generally do.

Edit: Oh, wait, 2K has My2K.

Tenebrous

- Steam
- GOG
- Origin
- Battle.net
- Uplay
- Epic Launcher
- Bethesda Launcher

Used to use all of the above 'cept the Bethesda launcher, but managed to get down to just Steam & Battle.net. I'm alright with handling my GOG games the old fashioned way, and didn't play UT4 enough to justify keeping that installed. Thankfully, Bethesda has next to no traction with me, so they can put TES VI & FO5 on there and I won't care.

Would probably get rid of Steam before Battle.net, honestly.

Well, technically, a lot of the biggest PC titles aren't on Steam.

Minecraft, Diablo, Overwatch, Hearthstone, League of Legends, World of Tanks, Runescape...

lSMYBAY.png

Those are the biggest PC earners of 2015.

Only positions 8-10 are sold on Steam. Out of these 3, only 2 are exclusive to Steam.

Amzin

Back in my day, EVERY game had its own launcher, because there was no cloud, consarnit!

The launcher complaints are silly. If having one more icon on your computer is stopping you from playing something, then it absolutely 100% is something you should not spend your time on :p There was a lot of anger at Steam when it first came out too for various reasons, and frankly some are still true today. But here we are!

There was a lot of anger at Steam when it first came out too for various reasons, and frankly some are still true today. But here we are!

That we accept a thing once, or maybe twice, doesn't necessarily mean that it's a compelling thought to do it a multitude of times.

Amzin

Sure. But Steam has a LOT of legitimate consumer-unfriendly issues that have existed for years, and no indication that they care or are working on it. Anything that puts pressure on Valve to give a fuck is good in my eyes at this point.

Perhaps it's because I've been PC gaming since pre-Windows 95, but the multiple launchers doesn't bother me at all because it really doesn't impact my ability to just play the game in any way. It's no different than having to launch each game individually like I used to and actually still more convenient than that really.

Valve has done some great things to help get PC gaming where it is today, but they appear to be very... conservative, or regressive, even. There's tons of clear potential being unmet, there's nonsense reactions to all kinds of issues, slow reactions to major issues, etc. When convenience gets too monopolistic it tends to become less convenient over time. No one seemed to care when Blizzard introduced their launcher because their games were never on Steam in the first place... if EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, had all NOT published their games on Steam, would the reaction be the same? I doubt it.

The only real issue I'll have is when companies stop selling their games anywhere EXCEPT their launchers, because that is a serious problem.

iNvid02

doesnt scale well at 4k lol
edit: the launcher that is

cant say im surprised at this trend of everyone wanting their own client, saw it coming years ago

Sure. But Steam has a LOT of legitimate consumer-unfriendly issues that have existed for years, and no indication that they care or are working on it. Anything that puts pressure on Valve to give a fuck is good in my eyes at this point.

As long as the games are available on different services, sure. Then you have options.

That everything that puts pressure on Valve is a good thing, after a few years with things like uPlay, I don't subscribe to that thought anymore.

But I'm an active user of GOG and the Humble Store.

Perhaps it's because I've been PC gaming since pre-Windows 95, but the multiple launchers doesn't bother me at all because it really doesn't impact my ability to just play the game in any way. It's no different than having to launch each game individually like I used to and actually still more convenient than that really.

What are these launchers, besides MMO launchers? I understand MMO's, where you subscribe to a service for a title that you're most likely invested in. But for singleplayer games?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
lSMYBAY.png

Those are the biggest PC earners of 2015.

Only positions 8-10 are sold on Steam. Out of these 3, only 2 are exclusive to Steam.

In the context of the idea of publishers abandoning Steam to sell their games on their own respective stores, the more salient observation is that two of the 10 listed titles are exclusively pay-to-play and both are on Steam (I was going to include WoW at first, but discovered that it has a free "Starter Edition" these days), to say nothing of the fact that, with the obvious exception of Dota 2, all of the F2P games listed launched well before Steam's feature set was broadened to support third-party F2P titles (granted, this came later than it should have and Steam hasn't exactly become the go-to place for such games). Origin shows that paid games can be successful enough without Steam (it's too early to rule on Microsoft's WinStore push), but I can only assume there is a reason that, for instance, Ubi, despite not lacking in popular franchises and Uplay turning 7 later this year, continues to not only sell its games on Steam but also improve how the two -- Steam and Uplay -- intermix.

Hazmat

Serious question (I don't care about the launcher): Is this a good game worth playing?

It's pretty standard F2P timewaster junk. It's mildly entertaining for a couple of hours spread across a week or so, but it's pretty much what you'd expect with a Fallout skin.

I'm mainly curious as to who hasn't played this yet? It's on Android and iOS, right? It seems way better suited to mobile (especially if you were needing a Fallout fix awaiting FO4).

This is the same as the one on Android right? If it is, i'll pass. It's like an idle game, don't really do much but wait a lot. I have to wonder why this would be their first title to test out Beth net.

Koyuga

Back in my day, EVERY game had its own launcher, because there was no cloud, consarnit!

The launcher complaints are silly. If having one more icon on your computer is stopping you from playing something, then it absolutely 100% is something you should not spend your time on :p There was a lot of anger at Steam when it first came out too for various reasons, and frankly some are still true today. But here we are!

Having multiple launchers open eats up resources. The complaints are valid.

Joey Ravn

Banned
The game has microtransactions in the form of lunchboxes.
Not going through Steam = more money for Bethesda.

Pretty obvious why they went with their own launcher...

As long as they can redirect everyone there, yes.

Otherwise they will have to do the math to see if a lesser audience is compensated by them keeping a higher percentage of the money spent.

jediyoshi

The trade off is the amount of people they'd gain by having it on Steam. Tapping into an existing giant install base can easily outweigh an attempt to foster that themselves.

MUnited83

For you.

Valve has done some great things to help get PC gaming where it is today, but they appear to be very... conservative, or regressive, even. There's tons of clear potential being unmet, there's nonsense reactions to all kinds of issues, slow reactions to major issues, etc. When convenience gets too monopolistic it tends to become less convenient over time. No one seemed to care when Blizzard introduced their launcher because their games were never on Steam in the first place... if EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, had all NOT published their games on Steam, would the reaction be the same? I doubt it.

The only real issue I'll have is when companies stop selling their games anywhere EXCEPT their launchers, because that is a serious problem.
The thing is: nome of those services are actual competition. They dont try to a general store for PC games, they are just publisher stores with unecessary clientes attached. They bring no new features, no new advantages, and they are far , far more consumer unfriendly. Ergo, they dont put any pressure on Valve at all.

Conservative and regressive is not what I would call it either, it has gotten more and more open with time.

I loved playing Fallout Shelter! It was really awesome and held me over until Fallout 4 came out!

Now I'm too scared to launch it again... I fear the worst for my Vault Dwellers, I haven't played the game since Fallout 4 came out.

Another launcher is a bit of an annoyance but it's not too big of a deal for me, I just don't know if I feel like playing this game again though, I'll have to try it and see.

RootCause

I loved playing Fallout Shelter! It was really awesome and held me over until Fallout 4 came out!

Now I'm too scared to launch it again... I fear the worst for my Vault Dwellers, I haven't played the game since Fallout 4 came out.

Another launcher is a bit of an annoyance but it's not too big of a deal for me, I just don't know if I feel like playing this game again though, I'll have to try it and see.
Lol same here. I'm sure if I go back everyone will be dead. xD

The trade off is the amount of people they'd gain by having it on Steam. Tapping into an existing giant install base can easily outweigh an attempt to foster that themselves.

I guess the simple math is that they'll need about 70% of the userbase they'd get by being on Steam in order to break even with their new platform. This assume both groups spend at the same rate.

jelly

Once you get over the newness of building and such, the game is awful. Don't spend any length of time on it.

Tagyhag

Would have tried it for shits and giggles if it was on Steam since I tried it on Android during the first week that it launched there.

Not touching Bethesda.net

dakun

not being able to import your Android save is a deal breaker for me. i was happy for a PC version because building a huge Vault got really laggy on my phone & Tablet. But i'm not going to start over from scratch.

I never knew this and the game never explicitly tells you this either.

That's true as with any F2P game you don't have to spend anything but as with most of these games you're pushed towards it at every opportunity.

It *does* explicitly tell you that the radio room greatly increases the chances of a deathclaw encounter, and I'm pretty sure it mentions somewhere that sending dwellers out alerts things to the location of your vault. It never specifcally says that if you don't send your people you won't get hit (since Raiders still show up) but it's pretty much common sense.

Zafir

As long as the games are available on different services, sure. Then you have options.

That everything that puts pressure on Valve is a good thing, after a few years with things like uPlay, I don't subscribe to that thought anymore.

But I'm an active user of GOG and the Humble Store.

What are these launchers, besides MMO launchers? I understand MMO's, where you subscribe to a service for a title that you're most likely invested in. But for singleplayer games?

I'm pretty sure they mean the menu kind of launchers. Where you'd get a little image along with buttons like "Install", "Play", "Settings", "Official Website", "Help" and so on. A lot of PC games used to have that kind of a launcher way back when.

Was back before Steam, during the joyous days of Securom. :p

Jtrizzy

Damn I was all excited for the PC version, I just assumed it would have my cloud saves from IOS. No way in hell I'm starting a new one, even though it controls so well with a mouse and is fun to have on the big screen. Back to the ipad version till they work that out.

Top Bottom