• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu 2009 Top 100 Sales Chart

Pureauthor

Member
Jun 11, 2006
21,847
0
0
Kunan said:
I wonder if Square's going to even more deeply entrench itself in DS development if FF13 sales don't go past 12's. It will make bank, but is it worth the multiple years of huge team commitments and soaring development costs? Between DQ9 and KH this year and the million selling DQ and FF ports the past few years (along with their new IPs), it seems to be their biggest market and best financial bet.
Final Fantasy as a series has been on a rather long (and slow) decline. I don't think they really ever expected to match FFXIII's sales with FFXII.
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Feb 11, 2007
21,700
0
0
nipponsalesage.blogspot.com
Pureauthor said:
Orochi Z is an updated rerelease of two old games.

If SW3 was losing to Orochi Z then the Wii is even more of a shithole for 3rd parties then the current reality.

Not to argue that SW3 is some huge success, but after this week its probably at 240K or so and if you look at past Musou games I think it will get past 300K and compare well with the Gundam Musou PS3 games. Not a great success but not a disaster either.
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
Kunan said:
I wonder if Square's going to even more deeply entrench itself in DS development if FF13 sales don't go past 12's. It will make bank, but is it worth the multiple years of huge team commitments and soaring development costs? Between DQ9 and KH this year and the million selling DQ and FF ports the past few years (along with their new IPs), it seems to be their biggest market and best financial bet.
No, they are not going to do that. Square has been pulling back from DS development for a while now, and I do not think they will have any more major game announcements following Dragon Quest VI's release. Square had 9 game releases for the DS per year in each year from 2006 through 2009; in 2010 so far, they just have two games scheduled for release. And I don't see a lot coming after those -- certainly nothing major.

If anything, 2010 (and beyond) looks like the year of the PSP for Square: starting off with just under a million in Birth by Sleep, and with Final Fantasy Agito and 3rd Birthday on the way, and maybe a Dissidia sequel at some point, too. For a while now, Square's been placing its much bigger projects on the PSP and smaller stuff on the DS, and the results have been pretty consistent: minimal sales on the DS and sales which seem to hit the same range each time around for their PSP titles.
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Feb 11, 2007
21,700
0
0
nipponsalesage.blogspot.com
ethelred said:
No, they are not going to do that. Square has been pulling back from DS development for a while now, and I do not think they will have any more major game announcements following Dragon Quest VI's release. Square had 9 game releases for the DS per year in each year from 2006 through 2009; in 2010 so far, they just have two games scheduled for release. And I don't see a lot coming after those -- certainly nothing major.

If anything, 2010 (and beyond) looks like the year of the PSP for Square: starting off with just under a million in Birth by Sleep, and with Final Fantasy Agito and 3rd Birthday on the way, and maybe a Dissidia sequel at some point, too. For a while now, Square's been placing its much bigger projects on the PSP and smaller stuff on the DS, and the results have been pretty consistent: minimal sales on the DS and sales which seem to hit the same range each time around for their PSP titles.

Do you think this is because of the PSP gaining momentum within SE or SE gearing up for the DS successor?
 

cvxfreak

Member
Jun 7, 2004
31,867
1
1,520
Tokyo
www.twitter.com
schuelma said:
Not to argue that SW3 is some huge success, but after this week its probably at 240K or so and if you look at past Musou games I think it will get past 300K and compare well with the Gundam Musou PS3 games. Not a great success but not a disaster either.
This is how I'm looking at it too. Even the PS2 ended up getting versions of Gundam Musou, Gundam Musou 2 and Dynasty Warriors 6, and the PSP received its own games, while the Wii could only lay claim to Sengoku Musou Katana from a few years back. Constant milking and fanbase splintering doesn't work with all franchises. I'd normally assume Koei will put the Musou franchise on all systems now, but Hokuto Musou speaks otherwise.

One thing I think Koei did right was make SW3 a Wii exclusive, as weird as it sounds. Clearly they were interested in building a Musou fanbase on the Wii, especially since the series comes off as relatively casual to me. If they put Sengoku Musou 3 on all platforms, or even on the PS2, then the Wii version wouldn't have done anything meaningful, and Nintendo would not have made its contributions to the title.
 
ethelred said:
(surely, schuemla, you remember your own statements five or so months ago heralding the Wii's holiday lineup as the strongest it had yet seen from third parties by far?)
Isn't it? I'd link to some comparisons but I'm woefully behind on sticking the Famitsu numbers into Garaph. 2008 was its previous best, though, and that only contained three Q4 third party releases that reached 100K by the end of the year.
 

jeremy1456

Junior Member
Jun 25, 2006
7,122
2
0
ethelred said:
No, they are not going to do that. Square has been pulling back from DS development for a while now, and I do not think they will have any more major game announcements following Dragon Quest VI's release. Square had 9 game releases for the DS per year in each year from 2006 through 2009; in 2010 so far, they just have two games scheduled for release. And I don't see a lot coming after those -- certainly nothing major.

If anything, 2010 (and beyond) looks like the year of the PSP for Square: starting off with just under a million in Birth by Sleep, and with Final Fantasy Agito and 3rd Birthday on the way, and maybe a Dissidia sequel at some point, too. For a while now, Square's been placing its much bigger projects on the PSP and smaller stuff on the DS, and the results have been pretty consistent: minimal sales on the DS and sales which seem to hit the same range each time around for their PSP titles.
That's simply not going to happen. Square-Enix aren't going to ignore the market outside of Japan which is what they would be doing by focusing on the PSP.
 

Datschge

Member
Sep 23, 2006
5,149
0
1,150
jeremy1456 said:
That's simply not going to happen. Square-Enix aren't going to ignore the market outside of Japan which is what they would be doing by focusing on the PSP.
Remember Square-Enix now has Western developers to worry about the Western market.
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
jeremy1456 said:
That's simply not going to happen. Square-Enix aren't going to ignore the market outside of Japan which is what they would be doing by focusing on the PSP.
Datschge said:
Remember Square-Enix now has Western developers to worry about the Western market.
Pretty much. The western market for Square Enix now is Kane & Lynch, Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Fortress. Besides, it's not like Square's earlier focus on the DS was ever driven by western concerns -- most of their DS games got pretty mediocre sales in the US. Of course, content cuts, lack of advertising, and exaggerated price points didn't help there, but neither did general market indifference, and the specific reasons for underperforming titles don't matter; the point is that they underperformed in the west, the games got the greenlight in Japan despite the understanding that they would underperform in the west, and it really wasn't a material factor.

The DS was the perfect platform for Dragon Quest IX (and the remakes) in Japan, but it's going to tank abysmally in the US. That doesn't matter. And it isn't going to matter with these PSP games, either. You're just kidding yourself, Jeremy.
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
1
0
Moor-Angol said:
Since N64 times, people buy Nintendo games for Nintendo platforms, not caring so much about other games.
Moor-Angol? Seriously? This oft-repeated and oft-debunked view is coming from you now?

Maybe you took the joke about changing the publisher of DQIX to Nintendo a bit too seriously... :lol
 

Firestorm

Member
Feb 2, 2006
33,832
0
0
Vancouver, BC
nuggetbridge.com
donny2112 said:
Moor-Angol? Seriously? This oft-repeated and oft-debunked view is coming from you now?

Maybe you took the joke about changing the publisher of DQIX to Nintendo a bit too seriously... :lol
Well that's why I bought a Wii and it's the reason I'm perfectly fine with my Wii library.
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
1
0
Firestorm said:
Well that's why I bought a Wii and it's the reason I'm perfectly fine with my Wii library.
You bought a Wii intending to buy pretty much only Nintendo games regardless of what else came out for the system? That's what Moor-Angol is saying: Even if the Wii got PS2 level support, it wouldn't matter, since people only buy Nintendo games for Nintendo systems and don't really care about anything else.

To believe that as true just boggles the mind.
 

Takao

Banned
Mar 19, 2009
50,999
0
0
Toronto, Canada
I wouldn't be surprised if whenever Dragon Quest X launches, that it'll be the first DQ to be mulitplatform at launch or very soon after. Now which platforms, I can't say.
 

ksamedi

Member
Sep 7, 2006
5,854
0
1,150
Rotterdam
Ofcourse people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games only. The whole world is practically a Nintendo fan. Look at all those GC and N64 sales.
 

Dalthien

Member
Jun 1, 2005
2,159
0
0
ethelred said:
The western market for Square Enix now is Kane & Lynch, Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Fortress.
Really? How did that stable of brands work out for Eidos this past decade?

I'm not saying that you're wrong, because I really haven't been following Square Enix's western plans all that closely - but if that is their master plan for succeeding in the west - well, that seems like an awfully shitty plan.

Those aren't a stable of brands that lend themselves to a healthy, vibrant, profitable presence in the western markets.

I was assuming that Square Enix had some deeper plans for the west than to just carry on Eidos' miseries into the new decade.
 

ksamedi

Member
Sep 7, 2006
5,854
0
1,150
Rotterdam
Support shifting to the PSP is no surprise at all to me. The platform is selling reasonably well. Enough for publishers to make a decent profit. The situation is fairly similar to the western market actually, third parties prefer technology focused platforms. The PSP is very similar to the PS2 so they have a huge backlog of development knowledge and franchises to pick from. The DS on the other hand requires a more unique approach which third parties are not accustomed too. From the moment the PSP had been doing fairly well, third party support has been pouring in. I think that will continue even though DS sales are still very strong.

Lets be honest, compared to the huge succes Nintendo has had on the DS, third parties have failed to take advantage of the platform. There are some high points like DQ IX or Level 5 but in general Nintendo dominated and still dominates the DS scene.
 

Bel Marduk

Banned
May 11, 2008
5,183
0
0
Takao said:
I wouldn't be surprised if whenever Dragon Quest X launches, that it'll be the first DQ to be mulitplatform at launch or very soon after. Now which platforms, I can't say.
Is there any reason, any reason at all why DQ X would be multiplatform? The Wii has absolutely no trouble selling big games and don't even suggest the DS when the successor is likely to be out by the time DQ X is out.
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
Bel Marduk said:
... don't even suggest the DS when the successor is likely to be out by the time DQ X is out.
The PS2 had been out for months when Dragon Quest VII was released, and the PlayStation and Saturn had both been out for over a year when Dragon Quest VI came out. Just sayin'.
 
May 14, 2008
16,145
0
0
I'm not sure whether to be glad that Puyo 7's the best selling game to date. While it shows that the franchise is still going strong (just not in the US... Sega of America.), it also means Sonic Team can get away with making sloppy and incremental gameplay gimmicks as long as they spend all of their budget on advertising and hiring popular seiyuu.
 

Bel Marduk

Banned
May 11, 2008
5,183
0
0
ethelred said:
The PS2 had been out for months when Dragon Quest VII was released, and the PlayStation and Saturn had both been out for over a year when Dragon Quest VI came out. Just sayin'.
Nintendo obviously have some sort of deal going on with DQ X...so that cancels that out.
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
Bel Marduk said:
Nintendo obviously have some sort of deal going on with DQ X...so that cancels that out.
This is obvious because...? And "because I want it to be" is not a valid answer.
 

cartman414

Member
May 3, 2006
9,453
155
1,190
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
I'm not sure whether to be glad that Puyo 7's the best selling game to date. While it shows that the franchise is still going strong (just not in the US... Sega of America.), it also means Sonic Team can get away with making sloppy and incremental gameplay gimmicks as long as they spend all of their budget on advertising and hiring popular seiyuu.
You mean the best selling Puyo game of Sonic Team's run? Because it is still eclipsed by the first three games in the series, back when Compile was behind the franchise.
 

Brofist

Member
Jun 15, 2004
10,427
85
1,630
Bel Marduk said:
Nintendo obviously have some sort of deal going on with DQ X...so that cancels that out.
I think Sony had a similar deal with Capcom for MH3 on PS3.
 

Bel Marduk

Banned
May 11, 2008
5,183
0
0
ethelred said:
This is obvious because...? And "because I want it to be" is not a valid answer.
Because Iwata so happened to be at the announcement of DQ X (and they even had pics of them shaking hands or whatever). And Nintendo already said they would advertise the series, which is a deal right there.

Not obvious yet?
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
Bel Marduk said:
Because Iwata so happened to be at the announcement of DQ X (and they even had pics of them shaking hands or whatever). And Nintendo already said they would advertise the series, which is a deal right there.

Not obvious yet?
Nope, Iwata showing up at a press event doesn't make it obvious to me that Yuji Horii signed a blood contract mandating Dragon Quest X's appearance on the Wii. The bottom line is that it will appear wherever he wants it to appear, and he isn't going to be bought off by any console manufacturer, which is why he's switched Dragon Quest games mid-development multiple times in the past.
 

Mandoric

Banned
Jan 6, 2005
7,529
0
0
Takao said:
I wouldn't be surprised if whenever Dragon Quest X launches, that it'll be the first DQ to be mulitplatform at launch or very soon after. Now which platforms, I can't say.
Unlikely. Also: second. :lol
 

farnham

Banned
Nov 18, 2006
18,018
0
0
34
Germany (Bayern)
ksamedi said:
Support shifting to the PSP is no surprise at all to me. The platform is selling reasonably well. Enough for publishers to make a decent profit. The situation is fairly similar to the western market actually, third parties prefer technology focused platforms. The PSP is very similar to the PS2 so they have a huge backlog of development knowledge and franchises to pick from. The DS on the other hand requires a more unique approach which third parties are not accustomed too. From the moment the PSP had been doing fairly well, third party support has been pouring in. I think that will continue even though DS sales are still very strong.

Lets be honest, compared to the huge succes Nintendo has had on the DS, third parties have failed to take advantage of the platform. There are some high points like DQ IX or Level 5 but in general Nintendo dominated and still dominates the DS scene.
square enix in particular has not used the DS very well feature wise but has seen massive success...

they just shit out some ports from the SNES days and sell tons (FF III, DQ IV, DQ V for example)...
 

Oxx

Member
Oct 9, 2005
12,534
0
0
I hope Square Enix use the release of DQVI to say something about the future of DQX if only to put Gaf out of its misery.
 

C.T.

Member
Apr 2, 2007
1,398
0
0
Germany
www.gamers-spirit.de
farnham said:
well DQ 7 was announced or strongly hinted at on the N64.. but they changed the platform to the PSone...
And the Wii is the new N64 or what? A lot of people said the same crap about Dragon Quest 9. Where is the PSP version now? I think those people should eat their crows first before talking about Dragon Quest 10.

edit: spelling error
 

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Apr 8, 2005
15,737
4
1,500
twitter.com
54. [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega) - 210,056

This one's crazy, considering first week numbers and how it disappeared quickly after that.

Anybody's got Metal Slug 7 updated LTD?

-Thanks for typing all that CVX, really appreciated it!
 

Busaiku

Member
Apr 5, 2006
46,932
1
0
Dash Kappei said:
54. [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega) - 210,056

This one's crazy, considering first week numbers and how it disappeared quickly after that.
It's not that crazy, if you look at other Puyo Puyo titles.
They debut low, and seemingly have low weekly numbers, but then they end up having decent showings overall. They often chart in the top 100/500 in the year of their release, despite not ever making the top 30.
 
So I'm working on putting these into Garaph. I noticed that Geimin's big 2009 list seemed to take this Top 100 into account, so I was using a combination of that data and the list cvx provided--Having both release dates and English title together make matching up with the database much nicer. ANYWAY, I noticed a couple discrepancies.

DS Penguin no Mondai X: 7 Soldiers of Heaven. cvx's list says 171,790 while Geimin's says 171,792.
Wii Macross Ultimate Frontier. cvx's list says 149,541 while Geimin's says 159,541. This one really stuck out because it screws up the ordering of positions 80-84, so things weren't matching up between the cvx/Geimin lists I'd combined.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
JoshuaJSlone said:
So I'm working on putting these into Garaph. I noticed that Geimin's big 2009 list seemed to take this Top 100 into account, so I was using a combination of that data and the list cvx provided--Having both release dates and English title together make matching up with the database much nicer. ANYWAY, I noticed a couple discrepancies.

DS Penguin no Mondai X: 7 Soldiers of Heaven. cvx's list says 171,790 while Geimin's says 171,792.
Wii Macross Ultimate Frontier. cvx's list says 149,541 while Geimin's says 159,541. This one really stuck out because it screws up the ordering of positions 80-84, so things weren't matching up between the cvx/Geimin lists I'd combined.
With Penguin no Mondai X: 7 Soldiers of Heaven maybe cvx has done a little mistake but I'm sure with Macross Ultimate Frontier geimin has the problem since cvx copied straight from Famitsu magazine so there is no way he has the order wrong. We had some problems with top 100 last year too.
 
Busaiku said:
This is a PSP game.
Ahh, yes. Thanks to the ordering difference it looks like it was matching up with Wii Play's information.

EDIT: FWIW's Chris1964's take on what was correct sounded about right, but I went looking for a third source to confirm. I found it impossible to find anything in English that either didn't directly source the OP or obviously just copy its contents. :lol However, Game Data Museum agrees it's 171,792 for the Penguin game and 149,541 for Macross. Though isn't GDM known for tinkering with its numbers intentionally? Great. :)