• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: 62135 X360s are sold in the first 2 days (hardware & software sales numbers)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
littlewig said:
Sales comparison is only a part of the judgement, you also have the companies spokespersons. Nintendo has Iwata and Reggie, Microsoft has Jallard and Moore, and Sony has Ken. These guys supply endless quotes for each team to use.

Also, analyst and journalist provide more quotes to use in judging the companies. Interviews and sales make up a large part of the war.

Oh yea, we also have the games, but that's only if you are into that sort of thing...

Boogle..

Xenon

Consoles just has sales figures...

Most consoles bring their own style of gaming to the table.

MS-heavy western development + online
Sony-Popular franchises and heavy Japan support
Nintendo - Nintendo's games and different colors

Blackace

Xenon said:
Most consoles bring their own style of gaming to the table.

MS-heavy western developement + online
Sony-Popular fanchises and heavy Japan support
Nintendo - Nintendo's games and differnet colors

Sure.. but does that mean you have to take a side, and blast other console? Like I said before if Sony would have had more western support in RPGs I would never have bought an xbox (Well maybe). But that wouldn't make me a Sony on;y supporter.. You have to look for the best combo for you as a gamer.....

mutsu

Blackace said:
Sure.. but does that mean you have to take a side, and blast other console? Like I said before if Sony would have had more western support in RPGs I would never have bought an xbox (Well maybe). But that wouldn't make me a Sony on;y supporter.. You have to look for the best combo for you as a gamer.....

If you have the money... people like me can only afford 1 console... :(

Blackace

mutsu said:
If you have the money... people like me can only afford 1 console... :(

Nothing wrong with that.. buy the best one for you. But do you have to make fun of other consoles just because you couldn't buy them? Or you didn't want them?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
sad tie ratio: Luckily the 360 is by far the best console to own with no games. Master System being number two. (hidden snail game)

Pachinko

So I'm assuming since these things are easily purchased over there that Ms only shipped perhaps 100K ? Sounds like they could have made do with just shipping 75,000 systems and shipping another 75000 in a month or 2.

Durkadur launch window waiting habble gabble. Seriously though, I'll reserve judgement on calling the 360 a failure out of the gate until after 1 year has elapsed. If it hasnt' topped 500,000 unit sales in 12 months its hopeless. It never will.

Izzy

Banned
Pachinko said:
So I'm assuming since these things are easily purchased over there that Ms only shipped perhaps 100K ? Sounds like they could have made do with just shipping 75,000 systems and shipping another 75000 in a month or 2.

Durkadur launch window waiting habble gabble. Seriously though, I'll reserve judgement on calling the 360 a failure out of the gate until after 1 year has elapsed. If it hasnt' topped 500,000 unit sales in 12 months its hopeless. It never will.

No - 159k.

Amir0x

Banned
I must have missed some sort of fun because there's talk of an even lower number, and I love those hyperbolic sales threads.

Damn. And I spent it beating Musashi, which if possible had an ending that made the game seem even worse.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DopeyFish said:
Damn right!

WTF Dopey! 816k on fucking Geometry Wars. FUCK YOU!

When my TV gets back I am going into full on "Wizard" mode with the old school arcade skillz.

Amir0x

Banned
Izzy said:

Oh, the difference isn't that vast. Meh. I thought it was gonna be like 25,000 or something from the sound at the start of this thread.

Anyhoo, is there any other source we'll get unit sales from? Then we can create an average!

Culex

Banned
Amir0x said:
Oh, the difference isn't that vast. Meh. I thought it was gonna be like 25,000 or something from the sound at the start of this thread.

Anyhoo, is there any other source we'll get unit sales from? Then we can create an average!

We'll find out soon enough from Media Create.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Stinkles said:
WTF Dopey! 816k on fucking Geometry Wars. FUCK YOU!

When my TV gets back I am going into full on "Wizard" mode with the old school arcade skillz.

haha bring it! :D

Speevy

Banned
We should tell the Japanese that if they had an Xbox 360, the girls would be all over them like salt on a peanut. Hells yeah. Hells yeah...

One of you guys with access to 'numbers', just for comparison, what kind of sales did PS, PS2, Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Dreamcast, PSP and DS have in their first couple of days?

cheers in advance

marvelharvey said:
One of you guys with access to 'numbers', just for comparison, what kind of sales did PS, PS2, Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Dreamcast, PSP and DS have in their first couple of days?

cheers in advance

The PS2 sold 8 million consoles on launch day. There were shortages and riots in the streets. The shortage was compared to the famine in some African countries.

Every other system was a failure, with the exception of the GBA.

ioi

Banned
erm.... since when has Famitsu reported higher numbers than Media Create?

In my experience, Famitsu is nearly always LOWER than MC and Dengeki is nearly always the highest.

Famitsu << Media Create << Dengeki

cvxfreak

ioi said:
erm.... since when has Famitsu reported higher numbers than Media Create?

In my experience, Famitsu is nearly always LOWER than MC and Dengeki is nearly always the highest.

Famitsu << Media Create << Dengeki

It all just depends. There is no established leader, really. There are several reasons why we use the charts we use:

- When Dengeki provided numbers, we used them because they offered a top 50. But they, for whatever reason, would never provide solid hardware numbers. Now they provide no numbers publically, yet they were an excellent source for lower tier numbers because...

- Famitsu only offers a top 30, which is limiting. Media Create's ten-only is even more limiting.

- Famitsu's public figures have a one week lag time to publication.

- Media Create numbers came out the earliest when it came to hardware (since Dengeki didn't offer hardware).

- Media Create gained massive popularity toward the end of 2002 because they tabbed Wind Waker at 407K while Famitsu and Dengeki had tagged it at around 287K - significantly less. Suddenly Famitsu and Dengeki seemed a bit too incompetent and Media Create counted more stores - and the Media Create only stores happened to move 120K more WWs than the other two. This is either a myth or reality, but I think it's somewhere in between.

- Suddenly Famitsu is looking very popular because they count 33% more 360s sold than Media Create did. I think Media Create has a lot of explaining to do. Recently they've also significantly undercounted Animal Crossing DS by 60K units or so.

So, we've gotta decide what to work with. As of November 2005, even with the loss of Dengeki, we have more numbers than ever.

- So Media Create is widely used, especially on these forums, because they provide the first hardware sales and the top ten.

- Ever since I introduced the monthly Japan charts, we've had back-end data for many older games that stick around these charts.

So that's how the story goes. This is what's great about Japanese sales charts: you have four sources to choose from (including Oricon of the former daily sales fame). Chances are one of them is on the mark at any given week for any given title. Unlike in the US where the NPD stands alone; if the NPD made the same mistake as Media Create did then they'd either have no one to cover their tracks like Famitsu or they'd have to - embarassingly - recall their data. Assuming that they all have slightly different methods for compiling their data, Famitsu's just happened to be the best one for finding out 360 sales.

So yeah. Rock on.

ioi

Banned
:D
CVXFREAK said:
It all just depends. There is no established leader, really. There are several reasons why we use the charts we use:

- When Dengeki provided numbers, we used them because they offered a top 50. But they, for whatever reason, would never provide solid hardware numbers. Now they provide no numbers publically, yet they were an excellent source for lower tier numbers because...

- Famitsu only offers a top 30, which is limiting. Media Create's ten-only is even more limiting.

- Famitsu's public figures have a one week lag time to publication.

- Media Create numbers came out the earliest when it came to hardware (since Dengeki didn't offer hardware).

- Media Create gained massive popularity toward the end of 2002 because they tabbed Wind Waker at 407K while Famitsu and Dengeki had tagged it at around 287K - significantly less. Suddenly Famitsu and Dengeki seemed a bit too incompetent and Media Create counted more stores - and the Media Create only stores happened to move 120K more WWs than the other two. This is either a myth or reality, but I think it's somewhere in between.

- Suddenly Famitsu is looking very popular because they count 33% more 360s sold than Media Create did. I think Media Create has a lot of explaining to do. Recently they've also significantly undercounted Animal Crossing DS by 60K units or so.

So, we've gotta decide what to work with. As of November 2005, even with the loss of Dengeki, we have more numbers than ever.

- So Media Create is widely used, especially on these forums, because they provide the first hardware sales and the top ten.

- Ever since I introduced the monthly Japan charts, we've had back-end data for many older games that stick around these charts.

So that's how the story goes. This is what's great about Japanese sales charts: you have four sources to choose from (including Oricon of the former daily sales fame). Chances are one of them is on the mark at any given week for any given title. Unlike in the US where the NPD stands alone; if the NPD made the same mistake as Media Create did then they'd either have no one to cover their tracks like Famitsu or they'd have to - embarassingly - recall their data. Assuming that they all have slightly different methods for compiling their data, Famitsu's just happened to be the best one for finding out 360 sales.

So yeah. Rock on.

I agree with all of that, which is why I use Everything and Nothing :D

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/vgsales.php

A few other points to add though:

-Media Create used to have a top 50 and it was all publically available (in fact I have some full top 1000 excel charts from back in 2001 somewhere).
-Famitsu tend to track lower first week sales than Media Create, but games seem to have longer legs according to Famitsu.

But the overall point is that there are sometimes huge discrepancies between the different sources. Media Create did track wind waker at 407k week one, but also had Mario Tennis 64 at over 1.3 million when it only sold 1.1m (Famitsu had it at around 850k and dengeki at around 950k). They seem much much closer just lately (within 5-10% on most games) which suggests to me that the numbers are more accurate than ever which is a good thing.

cvxfreak

ioi said:
:D

I agree with all of that, which is why I use Everything and Nothing :D

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/vgsales.php

That sure was a mouthful, wasn't it? :lol

Everything and Nothing looks excellent indeed, and it's by Broshnat, who also knows his sales. But they look shipped, which is my problem with them. But if we can establish their accuracy, then good. :D

EDIT: You know, if you can provide every pre-2003 Media Create related data you have, you'll be my best friend forever. :D Please find it!

ioi

Banned
It's not shipped, it's actually based on Media Create and Famitsu but with some averaging and some adjustments. It basically takes all the data available, averages it and scales by various factors depending on historical trends.

ioi

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
EDIT: You know, if you can provide every pre-2003 Media Create related data you have, you'll be my best friend forever. :D Please find it!

I have absolutely stacks of historical data and about 10% of it can be found on Everything and Nothing- the rest will be added when I have time, but I can certainly send you some of what I have :)

cvxfreak

Everything and Nothing sounds phenomenal then, and probably, when under the table, makes a lot of sense.

Still, send any or all that you have to cvxfreak [at] gmail [dot] com if you like. :D Thanks!

DKJB79

bomb bomb :lol
without Sony and Nintendo BIG hype...it bombed...WOW

Damage control ... XBOX-like sales for 360 in 2006 ;OP

gogogow

Most of them are first day sales, some are 1-3 days according to MC/Enterbrain

- 27.11.98 Dreamcast (Yen 29.800): 101.490 St.
- 04.03.99 WonderSwan (Yen 4.800): 102.655 St.
- 04.03.00 PlayStation2 (Yen 39.800): 630.552 St.
- 21.03.01 Game Boy Advance (Yen 15.000): 611.504 St.
- 14.09.01 Gamecube (Yen 25.000): 133.719 St.
- 22.02.02 Xbox (Yen 34.800): 123.929 St.
- 02.12.04 Nintendo DS (Yen 15.000): 441.485 St.
- 12.12.04 PSP (Yen 20.790 / 26.040): 166.074 St.
- 13.09.05 Game Boy Micro (Yen 12.000): 148.117 St.

source: gamefront

quetz67

Banned
DKJB79 said:
bomb bomb :lol
without Sony and Nintendo BIG hype...it bombed...WOW

Damage control ... XBOX-like sales for 360 in 2006 ;OP
That was to be expected, who wants to buy the successor to a console that bombed? Just for a new design?

But we sure will see some more sales when DOA4 arrives. Unfortunately at that time 360 will already been know as the failing successor to a failing console.

Microsoft Sells 39% of Xbox 360s in 1st Two Days of Japan Debut

Dec. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp. sold 39 percent of its new Xbox 360 game console in the first two days it was available in Japan, the world's second-biggest market for video games, according to market researcher Enterbrain Inc.

Microsoft, which started selling the Xbox 360 on Dec. 10, sold 62,135 of the 159,000 consoles it shipped, according to Tokyo-based Enterbrain. That compares with about 123,000 units sold in the first three days for the first Xbox, which debuted on Feb. 22, 2002, the report said.
Source: Bloomberg

looks like the new numbers have hit the big time!

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Wait, I thought the DS launch had been really disappointing. From the 360 photo thread anyways.

GhaleonEB

gogogow said:

So, if the numbers hold it's the worst launch since.....the dawn of man?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
elostyle said:
Wait, I thought the DS launch had been really disappointing. From the 360 photo thread anyways.
That was the point of the pics, to show they're just anecdotal evidence.

BTW, MC had these totals for the debut weeks.

DS - 468,883
PSP - 160,019
Micro - 170,306

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
That was the point of the pics, to show they're just anecdotal evidence.

BTW, MC had these totals for the debut weeks.

DS - 468,883
PSP - 160,019
Micro - 170,306

Exactly, which are generally higher than Famitsu... don't forget their 240k for Gamecube as well.

Elios83

LOL what a bomb,it did worse than the first Xbox...
Now it will be interesting to see if in the coming weeks sales will get to Xbox level or higher.

Xellotah

I think DOA will be the a defining moment for XBox sales, if that bombs then MS will be in serious trouble in japan.

gogogow said:

Thanks for those :D

bloke

If 62k is for weekend, than i'm guessing some 75k for a week, which is not that bad considering how afwul is launch lineup. Still it'll take some time to sell all the shipped units :lol

ioi

Banned
well let's not beat around the bush here, those numbers are awful, were always going to be awful and will continue to be awful. Japan is Sony and Nintendo land I'm afraid (and more Nintendo than Sony by quite a way at the moment)...

I wouldn't be suprised if the Gamecube jumps back up for a few weeks and outsells XB 360 confortably over xmas...

callous

Blackace said:
I know what goes on here. Just don't understand why it goes on..

Because if we all just sit down and hold hands, GAF would collapse unto itself. That, or it'd just be fucking boring. A bunch of prozac'd idiots agreeing that everything is good.

I'm quite comfortable with the current format :p While I do think all consoles have some good games, I don't think they should have!

On topic: Those numbers are still a joke and an embarrassment to MS. Drama. Excellent :)

Blackace

callous said:
Because if we all just sit down and hold hands, GAF would collapse unto itself. That, or it'd just be fucking boring. A bunch of prozac'd idiots agreeing that everything is good.

I'm quite comfortable with the current format :p While I do think all consoles have some good games, I don't think they should have!

Uh.. no one will agree about everything.. I think ICO and the MGS series is overrated crap.. and others think they are HTATK. Why hate the consoles when you can hate the games

Top Bottom